Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

lol JRE 8 blindly accepts whatever root CA you dump in the jar metadata

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

brands are very magnanimous

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Cocoa Crispies posted:

jordan "psifertex" wiens had to pay taxes on that million miles too

https://twitter.com/psifertex/status/694775159278952449

lol that is hosed up, Obama.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

~Coxy posted:

lol if your bank doesn't show you the original amount and conversion factor on your statement

They do but this was a hold rather than a charge so I had to ask over the phone and they only told me the converted amount

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Shaggar posted:

brands are very magnanimous

Shaggar you should be a brand.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Id be really good at branding (the act of being a brand)

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

lol JRE 8 blindly accepts whatever root CA you dump in the jar metadata

if this is for signing a jar it makes sense to provide the chain for convenience. The client would still have to have to trust the root, it just wouldn't have to download intermediate certs if they're provided.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

or is it just for like, SSL connections for that specific application? because that seems fine too, if you want to include your own cert that only applies to your application's HTTPS connections (and your jar is signed by something else that is valid)

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

also yesterday the gf was asked by the head of the security response team at her company if a word doc from a non-resolving domain that was sent to everyone in the company in an email about IMPORTANT TAX ISSUE that tries to run a macro immediately on launch was legit :allears:

she's not even on the security team, though he's going to request to get her transferred now because she is clearly better at security than he is.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
generally if you want to include your own root certs you would include them as separate files in the jar or in a keystore and then sign the jar to prevent tampering w/ the trusted certs.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
or maybe just pin the certs cause lol @ trusting a system keystore especially on a android.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Shaggar posted:

generally if you want to include your own root certs you would include them as separate files in the jar or in a keystore and then sign the jar to prevent tampering w/ the trusted certs.

that's what i interpreted "whatever root CA you dump in the jar metadata" as meaning, since "the jar metadata" is generally just whatever junk you throw in the META-INF

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I think certs in meta-inf would be more for signing validation of the jar by clients vs certs somewhere in the jar "proper". I guess you could store certs used by the code in the lib in meta-inf, but I wouldn't rely on it.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

spankmeister posted:

Shaggar you should be a brand.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
gross. please keep your fetishes out of this thread.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Shaggar posted:

or maybe just pin the certs cause lol @ trusting a system keystore especially on a android.

Including your own CA set is a less brittle version of pinning, and the Android CA store is actually fine tho.

Java keystores are dumb as gently caress and slow to load. Just include the files.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

:eyepop:

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Messages on Mac uses an embedded Webkit view to display messages complete with clickable links, so guess what http://www.bishopfox.com/blog/2016/04/if-you-cant-break-crypto-break-the-client-recovery-of-plaintext-imessage-data/

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Shaggar posted:

if this is for signing a jar it makes sense to provide the chain for convenience. The client would still have to have to trust the root, it just wouldn't have to download intermediate certs if they're provided.

the client doesn't trust the root and it isn't going out remotely to verify it. just drop the root CA cert in there and it goes OK! SOUNDS GREAT! If you remove the root ca from the jar then the trust chain breaks. and this is with AdTrust so its not like its some obscure one, not that it should really matter in this situation.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

jre is such poo poo

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

jre security: make up your own root ca and dump it in your jar and now you can run outside the sandbox no problem yolo

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

the client doesn't trust the root and it isn't going out remotely to verify it. just drop the root CA cert in there and it goes OK! SOUNDS GREAT! If you remove the root ca from the jar then the trust chain breaks. and this is with AdTrust so its not like its some obscure one, not that it should really matter in this situation.

that doesn't sound right because then everyone would just throw out self signed applets and take over everything. are you sure the client doesn't already trust the root?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Shaggar posted:

that doesn't sound right because then everyone would just throw out self signed applets and take over everything. are you sure the client doesn't already trust the root?

there might be more nuance to the issue, but we're definitely seeing the trust chain break when went you pull it out of the meta-inf and that makes zero drat sense unless your PKI implementation is horseshit. either you have the root ca or you don't, and you don't trust what some arbitrary 3rd party sends you

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
my guess is it sticks the entire chain in there because in the event that the root of the chain is not trusted AND you aren't connected to the internet, it can display the full chain to the user and if they wanted they could install that chain into their keystore without going to the internet.

so its probably looking for the full chain in the metadata before it even begins the trust check against its local trust store.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

poo poo, think I figured it out. the previous trust chain started with AddTrust but at some point down the line UserTrust also became a root CA. so then you had one root CA chaining to another and that isn't necessary so the new signing ends wit UserTrust as the root ca. jre should be honoring the OS's truststore because MS actually maintains theirs properly and knows UserTrust is a CA but its not even though the feature is enabled so its just making GBS threads all over itself. Oracle.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Shaggar posted:

everyone would just throw out self signed applets

everyone rightfully thew out applets altogether

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

YOSPOS > Security Fuckup Megathread - v11.4 - there might be more nuance to the issue

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

to run Java in the browser at work, you have to get provisioned a special locked-down VM that isolates your poo poo. it's a good policy

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
so I'm booting into my win7 partition for the first time in two years and applying updates

current restart count: 2

are there any active insta-pwn exploits on 7 as soon as you're on a network

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
this thread made it exactly one year!

here's the new thread:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3771497

• Locked thread