Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

remember the super bowl password fuckup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Carbon dioxide posted:

The coming two days, the city of The Hague will be hosting the "Global Conference on Cyberspace 2015". It's basically a massive meeting of politicians that are responsible for internet regulations and stuff in their respective countries. Other than politicians from most countries, there will be folks from tech companies and a bunch of NGOs.

It's treated like quite a big deal.

A few examples from their programme:

- Lunch panel on 'Cyber warfare and jus in bello'
- FOCUS SESSION : International peace and security in cyberspace
- Parallel Session : Rethinking the social impact of new cyber technologies
- Parallel Session : Exploring the best (and most fun) tools in cyber security education

And so on.

The city government of The Hague is saying they did all they could to make sure the cybersecurity during the cyberspace conference will be up to cyberstandards, because they're afraid people are going to test their security during the conference.

Another, more important piece of news, is that the folks on the conference will officially announce the formation of a "Global Forum on Cyber Expertise". The idea is that countries are scared their confidential data will leak when third world governments with worse cyber security get hacked and are used as a point of entry to secure information. So this global forum will share tips on how to secure government systems with countries that have less cyberexpertise.

:words:, but I'm interested to see how many gently caress-ups will happen in The Hague tomorrow.

this is why i was late to my lecture this morning so gently caress 'em

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Subjunctive posted:

maybe you've had different experiences carrying kids, but IME getting something out of your pocket isn't always a simple thing. have techniques that have worked for you that you want to share?

it's called being a virgin

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

pseudorandom name posted:

do they have stuff like "access control lists" for the "remote procedure calls" that prevent "invocation" of the "cancel the autopilot" and "enter simulation mode" methods?

idk but given that boeing decided connecting the on aircraft wifi to the control bus was a good idea probably not

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

hobbesmaster posted:

or you can put a chip in for $0.25

lol

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

it's like something from brass eye

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

are there any good browsers, seriously

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

syscall girl posted:

i know here in the walled weed patch that is sa humorless mods rule with their heavy ban hammers but wtf is the appeal of reddit?

it's used by normals

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Luigi Thirty posted:

it's also better at lgbt safe spaces than sa because those forums are run by humorless mods with heavy ban hammers

the reddit lgbt ones that are not are basically gbs 2.0

yeah, but then "actually has places to talk about lgbt stuff" is better than "we have two threads in the forum for laughing at failures and also we named our crown jewel so as to mock trans people because gently caress you queers"

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

apple's attitude to not-english languages can be summarised thusly: "gently caress you"

Heresiarch posted:

see also: microsoft, everybody else, all future possible platforms

actually ms tend to be really good about languages, even obscure ones

my mum has windows and word in irish and it Just Works

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

does gaelic even have enough words to make that work what the gently caress

she's a teacher, and you'd be surprised

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Heresiarch posted:

my wife is learning irish and at one point i borrowed her laptop and discovered that i couldn't use firefox on it

this is great for me because it means i finally have an ironclad excuse for getting out of cjing my mum's laptop

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

migf already did it

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

spankmeister posted:

i have an irish friend and he calls it gaelic himself :confused:

it's not insulting so much as vague since technically there's more than one gaelic language

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Shaggar posted:

everyone I knows tells me I sound like a boomer

you don't say

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

liking cuffs and whips is the least of your typical congressman's sins tbh

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

jre posted:

We'll see how much of it get's through parliament and the lords. A lot of it is too Orwelian even for his own party. Repealing the human rights act has bitten the dust already because too many Conservatives would rebel so they took it out the queen's speech and are rethinking it. I.e. dropping it and hoping everyone forgets it was in the manifesto

the conservatives aren't going to do any of this because they're going to spend the next five years arguing about europe

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

SIGSEGV posted:

that's really no protection at all and you should know it

yeah, because after that five years labour will do it

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

the solution to kids joining up with isis is let them

they'll see how fun it is when they eat a jdam

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

it depended on which political view the newspaper held

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

hobbesmaster posted:

they were just 20 years early

i just read the wiki article for them and holy poo poo, socs in 1980

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

yeah that's actually a fairly reasonable case

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

true story when i signed my phone contract with AT&T I crossed out all the arbitration parts and the class action part first just to stick it to the man and the guy didn't notice nor care

yes i realize that's probably completely unenforceable or even illegal but still :fut:

worked when a russian guy did it

http://www.dailyfinance.com/on/man-writes-own-credit-card-contract-sues-bank-for-breaking-term/

• Locked thread