Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Otto von Ruthless
Oct 1, 2014

A_Bug_That_Thinks posted:

The only way to do justice to Dune, really, is on the stage.

a musical, perhaps?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

they surf on giant worms

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Imagine the Gurney baliset solos

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Prolonged Priapism posted:

Yeah a traditional Dune movie is basically impossible. It could work as a one season show though. The narrative needs lots of room to breathe, and I demand lingering, loving shots of desert landscapes.

no matter what it'd be hard to capture what made the novel cool. A lot of the "action" is just people looking at each other and trying to outmaneuver each other by saying precisely the right things. It's pretty weird.

A_Bug_That_Thinks
Mar 16, 2011

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE BIG SAGGY POKEMON TITS
Oh yeah, full-on musical.

Luis CK as Baron Harkonnen.

Maisie Williams as Alia (both young and old).

James Franco as Paul Maud'dib.

The stage would be covered in real sand, and every time a character dies, they'd join the chain of people making up Shai Hulud

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 258 days!)

Ani DiFranco as 'strange person'

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

The stage would be covered in real sand, and every time a character dies, they'd join the chain of people making up Shai Hulud

lol

Otto von Ruthless
Oct 1, 2014

Oh yeah, full-on musical.

Luis CK as Baron Harkonnen.

Maisie Williams as Alia (both young and old).

James Franco as Paul Maud'dib.

someone get broadway on the phone

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
It actually probably would have owned in the same way El Topo owned (that is, don't watch it unless properly medicated), but the documentary definitely owned. I would really recommend that you read some of his later bandes dessinées work, it's freaky stuff.

For example: The titular hero of Les aventures d'Alef-Thau is born with no limbs, and slowly acquires them as he defeats an alien menace using psychic powers. Graphic novels seem to be much more his medium than film, to be honest.

F hole
May 13, 2008

read this if you have an appetite for crazy as gently caress

Rexim
Jun 2, 2006

I wants flies in on a dragons, okay?

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

otoh gently caress the fandom

Can you expand on this opinion? Not that I necessarily disagree but I've never really met an obnoxious Dune fan. Every other creative work in existence seems to have a 'fandom' consisting of kooks who dress up in costumes and have really really bad opinions (DR. WHO)

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

i don't really have any specific beef with the dudes drawing baron harkonnen assfucking leto atreides as a my little pony or whatever else it is the dune fandom does just don't care about anyone who'd whine about having a trippy cool movie based on a book they like cause it's not sufficiently identical to the book

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Apr 9, 2015

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Honestly the problem with the David Lynch Dune is I first saw it before I read the book and was like "What the gently caress is going on? I can't relate to any of these characters. What's all these gibberish words they're talking about?" It's totally impenetrable and unless you read the book first you won't have any loving clue what's going on.

Luckily I actually did read the book afterwards and the book was really loving good and I understand the movie now.

There's like no way you could squeeze Dune into two and a half hours and have it work as a movie. And I'm sorry Peter Jackson, 6 hours is too loving long for a movie.

That said, if they adapted the first four books into a TV show and actually gave it a budget it could be really good. With the success of Game of Thrones, it might actually catch on, given that Dune is also basically about medieval politics and everyone being terrible human beings. It's just set in space Arabia and has giant worms and lots of drugs.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Gammatron 64 posted:

That said, if they adapted the first four books into a TV show and actually gave it a budget it could be really good. With the success of Game of Thrones, it might actually catch on, given that Dune is also basically about medieval politics and everyone being terrible human beings. It's just set in space Arabia and has giant worms and lots of drugs.

Tyrant is already out there, though. :v:

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014
Lawrence of Arabia isn't a bad Dune movie.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Tyrant is already out there, though. :v:

I had never heard of this show before and it sounds kinda cool.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Dune is tough to film, but Dune Messiah and Children Of Dune would be fine. if you could establish it with Dune. It's a jigsaw puzzle where 1/3 is insanely complex and the other 2/3 are just two really large solid pieces.

Like seriously, if anyone could half way decently anchor it with the first movie, Dune Messiah and Children Of Dune could be almost straight up adaptations. Not necessarily summer blockbuster material but filmable.

I don't know why anyone shits on them though. They're not revolutionary like Dune and God Emperor but Dune Messiah is about watching Paul start a horrible revolution and dealing with the effects of the imperial cult set up around his gifts. That's awesome. Children of Dune gives you some frame of reference as to why the known universe is ruled my a semi-omnipotent manworm in book 4.

Speaking of unfilmable, God Emperor is definitely unfilmable.

I think it would work as a one-man Broadway show though.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Ugh, more like Jew-dorowsky gross

A_Bug_That_Thinks
Mar 16, 2011

A poet, in black, with voice choked with forced emtion.

"Answers leap up like a frightened flock, blackening the sky of my inescapable memories."

*kicks open cage full of birds*

*pink lights illuminate the back*

"So beautiful, like an egret's breast. Not that anybody but me in the entire universe knows what an egret is"

fini

Burns
May 10, 2008

If you boil Dune down its all about going for a glorious Jihad. Some people might have a problem with that in today's world.

That being said I'd love to see a new Dune game, maybe an Obsidian-style RPG.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

A poet, in black, with voice choked with forced emtion.

"Answers leap up like a frightened flock, blackening the sky of my inescapable memories."

*kicks open cage full of birds*

*pink lights illuminate the back*

"So beautiful, like an egret's breast. Not that anybody but me in the entire universe knows what an egret is"

fini

pretty sure you egret posting this now :newlol:

A_Bug_That_Thinks
Mar 16, 2011

Nicolas Cage as Duncan Idaho marches on stage, completely naked except for his big-rear end jack-boots. They're polished to such a high sheen, that when the spot light focuses on the (as it tends to when he's on stage), it's almost blinding for the audience. He raises a knife in the air, a jeweled antique.

"drat you, God!"

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

*drops a nest of bees from the rafters*

Angela Lansburial
Feb 9, 2005
Nothing to see here.

A_Bug_That_Thinks
Mar 16, 2011

West SAAB, you made me bust out laughing

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

i liked giegers house

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

katlington posted:

i liked giegers house

money for nothing, ovipositors in me

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Nicolas Cage as Duncan Idaho marches on stage, completely naked except for his big-rear end jack-boots. They're polished to such a high sheen, that when the spot light focuses on the (as it tends to when he's on stage), it's almost blinding for the audience. He raises a knife in the air, a jeweled antique.

"drat you, God!"

nick cage would unironically be very good as idaho.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

West SAAB Story posted:

pretty sure you egret posting this now :newlol:

drat lol

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

West SAAB Story posted:

money for nothing, ovipositors in me

i dont remember if gieger describes his water fountain dancers in that one or the other one. either way its amazing

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Okay this is going to piss everyone off but the Sci Fi Dune movie has a special place in my heart, and I stick up for it on some of the same grounds that people stick up for the Lynch version. I also think it did some things flat-out better than the Lynch version. Of course, coupled with these are the things it hosed up, some of which are the same things the Lynch version hosed up and some of which were new exciting things to gently caress up, all of which makes me very sad.

I think part of my beef here boils down to how retarded I think the little shouting laser beams from the Lynch version were.

I may have said this before, but I wish that somebody would make a third Dune movie and hopefully give us another selection of lovely versus cool things so we could make a single epic fan edit of all the cool parts

graaa-cha!

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
i think it would have been a bad film, even if a good director did it, hearing how weird it would have been is alot more interesting than actually seeing it.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

I recently read Dune and loved it. I was expecting the absolute worst from the Lynch film but I actually kind of liked it. It seems like it would make zero sense if you didn't read the book and some of it was bizarre for the sake of being bizarre but I'll give it a lot of credit for how many scenes looked exactly like I imagined when I was reading. Plus it made me realize that one Fatboy Slim song with Christopher Walken in the video is directly quoting Dune (if you walk without rhythm, you won't attract the worm).

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogoqP_-0jto

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

Tujague posted:

I may have said this before, but I wish that somebody would make a third Dune movie and hopefully give us another selection of lovely versus cool things so we could make a single epic fan edit of all the cool parts

I got what I thought was "Dune" for a buck, but then I got home and started watching it, and thought it looked…not at all like I remember it looking.
So I start reading the case and it came out in like 2000 and has William Hurt in it. I mean, I like William Hurt, but…Anyway, there is that one, just letting you know. I have it on tape. Two tapes.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I.C. posted:

I got what I thought was "Dune" for a buck, but then I got home and started watching it, and thought it looked…not at all like I remember it looking.
So I start reading the case and it came out in like 2000 and has William Hurt in it. I mean, I like William Hurt, but…Anyway, there is that one, just letting you know. I have it on tape. Two tapes.

Nice try, but this poo poo is as tiresome as that 'grifter' meme.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

robot roll call posted:

I recently read Dune and loved it. I was expecting the absolute worst from the Lynch film but I actually kind of liked it. It seems like it would make zero sense if you didn't read the book and some of it was bizarre for the sake of being bizarre but I'll give it a lot of credit for how many scenes looked exactly like I imagined when I was reading. Plus it made me realize that one Fatboy Slim song with Christopher Walken in the video is directly quoting Dune (if you walk without rhythm, you won't attract the worm).

more movies of books should include pugs in places the source material didnt but not draw attention to it like lynch did imo

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
someone please mod this poo poo into one of the c&c games, tia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Prolonged Priapism posted:

Yeah a traditional Dune movie is basically impossible. It could work as a one season show though. The narrative needs lots of room to breathe, and I demand lingering, loving shots of desert landscapes.

Holy poo poo it would be Sci Fi's answer to Game of Thrones!

• Locked thread