Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Kikka posted:

im glad we were spared the child of jodorowskys loving rape of frank herbert. it would have been artsy hippie garbage.

if the impossible conditions we're met that would have let the movie have been made at all it would have been weirdly awesome, it's not like we didn't get a couple of lovely Dune movies anyway. If Jodorowsky had made his we would have got to eyeball a bunch of top-class weirdos all acting together.

the documentary was awesome though, so maybe it's worth it just for that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
My favorite bit was where he convinced Orson Welles to do it by offering him a million tons of food.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Crash_N_Burn posted:

All the Dune books except the first one sucked bigtime. The first one is probably the best sci-fi novel of all time, though

nah the 4th one was good

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
i liked that he had a kitty, that was pretty good

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

hemophilia posted:

I want to see Jodorowski's Dune but call it literally anything else because Dune is important to me and that's not dune

Jodorowksy's Carnival of Weirdies: Featuring Semen

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

hemophilia posted:

Lynch's Dune is 'good' in the theatrical cut. I mean, there's a lot of iconic imagery there and it's still david lynch, and there was some documentary about it a few years back that pretty thoroughly laid the shortcomings of that film on the hands of the De Laurentiis

The inner-monologues were probably the worst part of that movie. I really don't know what he was thinking there, for some one so good with imagery he instead decided to go with the lamest exposition method ever.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Bimmi posted:

They were dumb as hell in the book too.

it works in books

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Bimmi posted:

Not in that one it didn't.

yeah it did

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Bimmi posted:

Yeah it was terrific the way half the dialogue in the book is characters thinking to themselves in in the same undifferentiated voice, that's not lovely lazy inept writing at all ah yup.

it was good

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Prolonged Priapism posted:

Yeah a traditional Dune movie is basically impossible. It could work as a one season show though. The narrative needs lots of room to breathe, and I demand lingering, loving shots of desert landscapes.

no matter what it'd be hard to capture what made the novel cool. A lot of the "action" is just people looking at each other and trying to outmaneuver each other by saying precisely the right things. It's pretty weird.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

A_Bug_That_Thinks posted:

Nicolas Cage as Duncan Idaho marches on stage, completely naked except for his big-rear end jack-boots. They're polished to such a high sheen, that when the spot light focuses on the (as it tends to when he's on stage), it's almost blinding for the audience. He raises a knife in the air, a jeweled antique.

"drat you, God!"

nick cage would unironically be very good as idaho.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Ultramega posted:

Stop loving referring to science fiction as 'sci-fi'; I hear 'skee-fee' when I read it like that.

well read better you mook.

But really, the Sci-fi channel thing looked like poo poo because it had a cable miniseries sized budget.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Applewhite posted:

DUNE might not lend itself well to adaptation, but I bet HBO could get a couple decent seasons out of Brian Herbert's House trilogy.

yes, "brian herbert's" house trilogy.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

hemophilia posted:

to be fair frank herbert was writing some bizarrely lame overpowered futuretech by the time he died too. no-ships and no-chambers and axlotl tanks being literally an entire class of woman enslaved and mutated into giant vagina clone tanks

the last two Frank Herbert books weren't his best, you're right, but the KJA stuff reads like fan-fiction. I'm not being hyperbolic either. You can pick out individual things that make it lame (like changing the Butlerian Jihad from a vaguely described religious uprising to a actual war with evil cape wearing robots) but it's mostly bad because it feels like it's been written in 2 weeks by a 14 year old.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
anyway, Jodorowskys Dune was awesome:

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Agag posted:

Dune and God Emperor of Dune are the only ones that matter. Once they glass Arrakis and they can make synthetic spice I kind of lost interest.

He may have been building to something as cool as the 4th book but we won't ever know. Like Chapterhouse and Heretics might have been building to something cool like Children and Messiah were.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Blind Sally posted:

yeah, Chapterhouse: Dune has its moments, what with the magic space sex cult, the Super Saiyan guy, JEWS IN SPACE, the so-good-at-sex-that-he-can-out-sex-the-magic-space-sex-cult-and-enslave-them-to-his-penis guy, and the whole "it's not actually pedophilia because the kid has the mind of an adult--or will after we gently caress him" thing. No wait, nevermind, Chapterhouse: Dune is loving terrible.

If you make it to God-Emperor and finish it with any enthusiasm, you should never read Chapterhouse: Dune. That book is poo poo.

You forgot the part where Frank Herbert and his wife show up at the end, kind of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Blind Sally posted:

loving hell. really?

I'm not sure. It's kind of what I always thought. There's a face-dancer husband and wife that know a lot more than they should in the last chapter. It's a ridiculously frustrating cliffhanger, because of course he died, but I always thought they also represented Frank and his wife. It's been a long rear end time so I can't remember why I thought that, other than the fact that his wife contributed a lot to the novels as well.

Of course from what I read Brian and KJA made them the evil robot terminators from their prequels, back again and ready for more evil.

• Locked thread