Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
If some of what is said is to be believed, I get the feeling he was so overwhelmed by trying to impress his idols and make this into something great. The deals with Dali, the deals with Welles.

Had Jodorowsky made or attempted to make his film 30 years later, without the decades of mystique, the fandom would be screaming for his blood for any deviation from the source material.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
The sense I got from the documentary was that there was no one there to really rein in Jodorowsky. The biggest take away I had from the documentary was the woman who said something like, "Dali will destroy this project." Directly or indirectly, I think the tone of the Dali decisions might have proven that sort of an accurate prediction. The entire thing with him feels more like a nightmare to a studio to have to deal with.

I still sort of wonder how much Jodo's own attempt to impress folks like Dali lead to him go overboard in the pre-production stuff to 'prove' something to them.

Ultimately, though, for as much time and investment that was made in the pre-production of his version of Dune, I still found the documentary to be somewhat lacking on some fronts.

I think I made this comment in another thread regarding this documentary, but I think it really needed a Devil's Advocate figure to pop in every now and then and provide a counterpoint to the production stuff and explain why it was so alienating to Hollywood at every step, or why the imagination of the team wasn't matched by the technical or mainstream realities of the 70s.

• Locked thread