Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

:stare: They've modelled enough land to put a race track there. Whoever made this weren't good with testing and managing development efforts...
Oh, it was made by now Rockstar San Diego. They carried this approach to Red Dead Redemption.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009
I love the sound effects you added in the last third of the video. Really helped sell how goofy these glitches are. :allears:

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Uh... did anybody lose a memory card?
I got a used copy of Free Running shipped with other PS2 stuff today, and inside the box somebody forgot a 32MB PS2 card with nothing but system data on it.
I suppose, even if I get tired of the dummy bum, I'll keep a lot of memories.

Are you planning to do Thrasher: Skate and Destroy?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Hope you enjoy the game :3:. I did.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
True love developing in this thread here.

Speaking of Free Running, let's finish this poo poo up! On the last level, we get back on the roof and pull more death-defying stunts! Now if only someone could tell me how to get down, like, legit, hot the f*ck do we get down?

Free Running Part 11: High Rise

Text Link

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

That roof was on fire. I wonder if I'll hear the same dude lines playing as the Asian girl in baggy pants character.

BioEnchanted, what was the thing that made the game crash for you? The video gallery?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Yes, the video gallery is the unstable part. As long as you stay away from that you should be fine.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Huh. I went into the gallery, started the intro (the only video you get at the start), went back, and the game didn't crash. It did take a really long pause to load the unlocked tricks list though.

It plays smoother than it looks in the videos, at least in the gym. I'll investigate further later.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Glad you're enjoying it. Now there're 2 people who have played this game at all :P. And yeah it definitely controls better than it looks in the vids.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

SelenicMartian posted:

Huh. I went into the gallery, started the intro (the only video you get at the start), went back, and the game didn't crash. It did take a really long pause to load the unlocked tricks list though.

It plays smoother than it looks in the videos, at least in the gym. I'll investigate further later.

There's the possibility that BioEnchanted is a huge grom and Free Running is the bee's knees. If you start pulling the sickest tricks and...well...you know, make sure to post your own updates.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
Alright, it's time to keep going on this whole 'surfing block' showcase. The second game in the block is a slap in the face of science itself.

Surfing H3O

What is this game?

Surfing H3O is a very early PS2 game developed by some shmucks but published by Rockstar in the U.S. The game feels like an arcade game, since the levels are really about riding a wave to collect a point goal before you hit the end. If I told you any more, it would spoil the...um...events that take place in our recording,

First Impressions: Surfing H3O

Text Link

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Ovues posted:

Okay, so last night I tested some stuff out and recorded some footage. It turns out all you need to do to break Transworld Surf is try the most obvious thing. This vid had a quick turnaraound, so the quality is a little worse and it has subtitles explaining things rather than normal commentary.

Transworld Surf Bonus: Extra Glitches

Text Link
Those Shark attacks are pretty full on.
Also what's the deal with the tracks? The only racing game that really would of matched those would of been SpyHunter 2.

Also this game up when I googled the studio http://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Rockstar-San-Diego-Reviews-E271388.htm

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Ovues posted:

What is this game?
The video makes it look like a part of the Wipeout series.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

SelenicMartian posted:

The video makes it look like a part of the Wipeout series.

Well we certainly did wipe out a bunch, if you know what I mean.

Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009
Maybe you guys would have better luck in not wiping out if you did the paddling thing with L1/R1 buttons to build up speed before standing up, but this game seems very lackluster in terms of content. They should have at least given you a practice mode if they were going to follow the arcade format.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

Daigerus posted:

Maybe you guys would have better luck in not wiping out if you did the paddling thing with L1/R1 buttons to build up speed before standing up, but this game seems very lackluster in terms of content. They should have at least given you a practice mode if they were going to follow the arcade format.

I fully admit, I forgot about the L1/R1 thing as soon as I started, but everything after I stand up is the best I could do. Thinking back on it, unless the point totals get higher, I should have just focused on getting the point bubbles and then getting the extra time bonus, instead of trying to do tricks. Then I think I could have passed the level and gone on. I will try the game out more once I'm back in town (out for a week to meet some of the online buds in person).

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
You know, when I first picked the three games for the Surfing Block, I had the least hope on the movie tie-in game to be any good. After playing the other two, however, that opinion has reversed.

Surf's Up

What is this game?

Surf's Up is a 2007 movie tie-in game for the animated film by Sony Pictures. I haven't seen the movie, but by all accounts it was okay or alright. This game came out back in the days where every movie got a video game version, and not many of them had the best quality control. Still, by this point, if the game had any amount of quality control, it had more than the previous games in this block did.

Also, this live comm features two of our recurring guests with us together, in the flesh! We met up recently for a week to hang out and do all types of random skullduggery, and recording stuff for this series was one thing on the list.

Surf's Up: First Impressions

Text Link

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

This one is really the most stoked out of the bunch.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
Yup, who could have imagined the movie game was the best of all. I guess we're doing it, then.

This first video covers basically the same things as in the first impressions vid, but now I know how all the controls and trick systems work. Not that they're really hard to get down, but still. There are a few little things hidden below the surface on this game.

Surf's Up Part 1: Shiverpool & Leaf Sliding 1

Text Link

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

The story of the game seems to be about the suffering of the PENS crew.

How do you unlock the shark accessory? Can you surf as the walrus? Can you surf on the walrus?

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

SelenicMartian posted:

The story of the game seems to be about the suffering of the PENS crew.

How do you unlock the shark accessory? Can you surf as the walrus? Can you surf on the walrus?

1. Play more?
2. Maybe?
3. Sorry, I'm keeping this thread PG-13.

I haven't played the full game as of this point, but I am, like, a level away from beating it. It's not a very long game. I'll probably end up getting those answers soon.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
Alright, so I have answers to all your questions. But you'll have to find them out yourself! Here we go with another round of Surf's Up! In this one, we go to the next level and...do the same pack of 3 objectives on each level. Ahhh hell. But hey, Tinker's in this video!

Surf's Up Part 2: Pen Go South

Text Link

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

:stare:
I just realised, it's a sea lion.

Has the game already burned through all of its level elements? Those gates are getting really samey.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

SelenicMartian posted:

:stare:
I just realised, it's a sea lion.

Has the game already burned through all of its level elements? Those gates are getting really samey.

Yyyyyyyyyyep, pretty much. The 'levels' get slightly more full of crap as we go along, but everything follows that basic pattern.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
Well, thinking back on what I said up above, I do think the levels have a nice 'curve' of giving you more obstacles and making it harder to get collectibles/powerups/multipliers. Still, there isn't THAT much game to ramp up the difficulty in, though. We're on part 3 now, and I can guarantee we're not staying in this game for very long.

However, the level goals never change from get X points / go through Y gates. What else COULD they have done, really?

Surf's Up Part 3: Volcano and Leaf Sliding 2

Text Link

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
Okay listen up kiddos! We're switching it up on you. Remember last year when we dropped a mystery game on you? And it was garbage? Well, we have another mystery game to show you guys. There is a reason for all this madness, but you'll have to watch (a little bit) to understand. That is, if you don't already follow the Steel Donut Collective channel. We did this video while hanging out IRL with BlakouttheMM and mattroks101. Hopefully they'll make their ways back into this thread to justify this.

Let's NOT Play: Mystery Game #2

Text Link

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

That was a different kind of extreme.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

SelenicMartian posted:

That was a different kind of extreme.

Yep. And I know we've talked a lot over the course of these threads about running some of these games over with a car, but we've never actually had the heart to do it. To really destroy a game and prevent it from ever being played again.

Until now.

This mystery game fouled our senses of...of taste, of humanity, of ethics so much that we had to send it off for good. Rejoice.

Let's NOT Play Mystery Game #2 Bonus: Hit it with a car

Text Link

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

And that was the end of Alvin and the ChimpPunks.

I dipped into Free Running and finally got the video menu crash. It's not often that you see a PS2 BSOD and bitch about a missing file. Strangely, I was able to avoid it later to get rid of exclamation marks making unlocked content.
The game is promoting adidas in subtle ways. I showed up for the race to unlock the second chapter in their black sneakers, and the opponent had a voiced line saying that he liked them. Also, adidas-labelled gear gives you the greatest stat boosts with minimal health impact.

The best moment so far was Sebastien telling me how I'm getting better and will soon be ready for new challenges, immediately followed by the standard race victory scene with him sobbing on his knees at my feet. :smug:

What we didn't see in the videos is that clearing challenges usually unlocks new ones on a different map in the same chapter. You don't actually spend an hour at the home base or the flats doing everything, but instead hop between them because a good flying butt twist session in one area opens up 'the floor is lava' in the other.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

SelenicMartian posted:

What we didn't see in the videos is that clearing challenges usually unlocks new ones on a different map in the same chapter. You don't actually spend an hour at the home base or the flats doing everything, but instead hop between them because a good flying butt twist session in one area opens up 'the floor is lava' in the other.

I realized after the first video of just going back to previous levels and doing newly-unlocked stuff that I was not going to do a second video like that. I wanted to streamline the game's presentation. And apparently, some of the early level stuff you unlock by doing the last few levels. WAY too much backtracking for an LP. So I decided to just show off a level per vid. Yeah, Free Running staggers things out but it wouldn't have been fun to watch Free Running Part 24: a few more challenges in level 3.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

SelenicMartian posted:

And that was the end of Alvin and the ChimpPunks.

I dipped into Free Running and finally got the video menu crash. It's not often that you see a PS2 BSOD and bitch about a missing file. Strangely, I was able to avoid it later to get rid of exclamation marks making unlocked content.
The game is promoting adidas in subtle ways. I showed up for the race to unlock the second chapter in their black sneakers, and the opponent had a voiced line saying that he liked them. Also, adidas-labelled gear gives you the greatest stat boosts with minimal health impact.

The best moment so far was Sebastien telling me how I'm getting better and will soon be ready for new challenges, immediately followed by the standard race victory scene with him sobbing on his knees at my feet. :smug:

So, are you enjoying the game? I did despite it's flaws.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

It's got a nice rhythm to it and is pretty fun except for those times a slight control error sends you way off course and you have to restart the whole challenge. Freighter! :argh:
The pace is pleasantly slow for a wall-running game from the developers of the 1999 Aliens vs Predator.
Oh, Rogue Warrior is also theirs...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVoyGUcXepc

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
Alright, it's finally time to get back to our regular Surf's Up videos. Today, we go to the last selectable place, Pen Go North.

While I did have to step away from this episode so I'm not really in the vid, I do think this shows off that the game actually does have a challenge curve. Here, near the end, there are more obstacles, definitely. Along with that, though, now some of the powerups are in the air and require well-timed jumps to get to. Also, the game presents some "one or the other" things, where maybe you can either get a powerup to refill your boost OR go through a gate, but not both.

Sure, the actual goals don't really change but there really has been a progression of difficulty as the game goes on. Not a lot of progression, but still some.

And on a lighter note, apparently this is a great episode because Tinker's here and I'm not, I guess that's been the winning combo the whole time.

Surf's Up Part 4: Pen Go North

Text Link

Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009
Surf's Up is looking to be a surprisingly decent game with an okay difficulty curve, and I actually enjoyed the cutscenes. And as disappointed as I am in the lack of sharks in that latest video, how would they be incorporated into the gameplay? Just have them like obstacles, except they could home in on your player avatar and you could only dodge them by jumping the waves or grinding?

Also, that second mystery game, we barely knew thee, and that was probably for the best.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
Just on the cusp of Daiger's post about "actual obstacles" (AKA 4 days later), the last main level of the game FINALLY gives you some competition. And not even in, like, 'oh, i need to beat a mildly hard high score'. No. Just like in the film, world-renowned surfing penguin Tank Evans is here to wreck our poo poo over and over again.

Surf's Up Part 5: Boneyards

Text Link

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

You polished your score quite well.

Have you dumped any more games onto our PAL pal BioEnchanted?

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

SelenicMartian posted:

You polished your score quite well.

Have you dumped any more games onto our PAL pal BioEnchanted?

No. His capture card basically broke near the end of Free Running, and I guess I figured that I shouldn't be dropping games on him that he can't do much with. The rest of what you've linked throughout the thread that's PAL only has pretty much been garbage that I'd never WANT anyone to play aside from a single painful session. That is caught on camera, of course. And then shared with the world.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
Alright, it's time to finish Surf's Up. After winning the surfing championship, we still have a couple more things to do. There's a legendary wave to go on and surf, and we enter a volcano one more time for the third leaf sliding event.

Then, there's some other stuff to look at. We have concept art and clips from the movie this game was based on. I think it's a neat little addition that uses the movie it's based on for a fun bit of content.

Surf's Up Part 6: Bonus Levels and Content

Text Link

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
Alright, so for the next few videos (which might take a little while to record), we're continuing the unofficial 'anthro' block where we get to do extreme things as various members of the animal kingdom. And what is more extreme...than EXTREME RACING????

How about... EARLY 2000s DREAMWORKS FILMZZZZ????

Let's NOT Play Antz Extreme Racing

What is this game?
It's Antz Extreme Racing, duh. It's the most extreme game we've played yet in the series. I mean, what other game has Extreme in the title?

Ok, serious: this is a garbage game with about 2 minutes of playability. Unfortunately for us, we dragged it out to 20 minutes.

Let's NOT Play Antz: Extreme Racing

Text Link

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Dung dodging failed, this looks awful. Freaky Flyers at least has cutscenes.
Any guesses, whether they were just incompetent to make split screen leave lots of empty black space, or whether it was done for the sake of fps?

You should try reaching back to the tricking roots

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Xpc6XMuR20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WsmAddSf4c

• Locked thread