Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

SelenicMartian posted:

Dung dodging failed, this looks awful. Freaky Flyers at least has cutscenes.
Any guesses, whether they were just incompetent to make split screen leave lots of empty black space, or whether it was done for the sake of fps?

You should try reaching back to the tricking roots

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Xpc6XMuR20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WsmAddSf4c

#backtomyroots, you say? maybe I see a game block in the future...

But for right now, I'm back at the computer, and we're getting back to back. Or rather, head to head. Ok, here, it's the second game in a back-to-back pack where blanktester and I flap our yaps. Again, we're playing a (not so lovely?) cart racer featuring wild characters, ranging across all the animal and fairy tale kingdom. I mean, it's the cast of Shrek, so you guys know what you're getting into.

Let's NOT Play Shrek Smash N' Crash Racing

What is this game?

It's Shrek Racing, dude! Play as Shrek, Puss in Boots, Princess Fiona, Eddie Murphy, all those dudes as you race around tracks, collect pickups, and attack other racers with said pickups. Dude, you know you've sometimes dreamed about being shrek, dropping mad farts on people and throwing geese down the track, don't act like you haven't.

Okay, to be serious, the game is a standard cart racer featuring characters from the Shrek universe with racetracks and powerups based on the movies. Surprisingly enough, the game is actually competent and offers everything you expect from a game like this without lacking such things as 'entertainment value' or 'physics'. Still, we weren't intending to spend more than a session on this game, so it's still a Let's NOT Play. It became two videos because it was just a bit too long to keep as 1 vid. THis wasn't helped by a loading screen that literally took minutes from our lives. All will be explained in the videos.

Shrek Smash N' Crash Racing Part 1

Text Link

Shrek Smash N' Crash Racing Part 2

Text Link

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
And one more one-off pile o' junk while things get settled back in. First, I gotta ask you all a question. Remember the year 2003? Ah man, what a good vintage. Remember what games you were playing in 2003? Man, they don't make em like they used to.

Or, if your parents hated you, you were playing ATV Racers. In which case, I'm sorry.

Let's NOT Play ATV Racers

[img]http://lpix.org/2189054/ATV Racers [U] [SLUS-01572]-front s.png[/img]

What is this game?

ATV Racers is a budget racing game for the Playstation ONE, released in TWO THOUSAND AND THREE. The game features approximately 4 minutes of gameplay, which blanktester and I have stretched to ten times that. But there is one thing going for this game...

Look at how cute those little animals are! Like, drat, I didn't even know baby dragons could ride ATVs. Hell, I didn't know baby dragons existed!

But it's a bargain bin game through and through and should be skipped by anyone wanting to play a good game, or even wanting to waste time. Because the point of wasting time is that you don't want to regret wasting that time as you're wasting it! Whatev, just sit back and watch little baby critter ride around tracks on their ATVs.

Let's NOT Play ATV Racers

Text Link

I promise the next two games will be full-length features. It's just that we had a bunch of games we knew were just going to be one-offs, and I came up with a 'game block' to string them together. The next game will also be an ATV game, though it will definitely be much more...furious.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Let's not play! *proceeds to do 50 laps*

So, the next game is from the makers of Splashdown 1&2? Will Amman Ra sing the Ancient King of Bling again?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Hang on does this game not only have the font from the orginal Tony Hawk but the logo too? They are very similar in appearence.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

SelenicMartian posted:

Let's not play! *proceeds to do 50 laps*

So, the next game is from the makers of Splashdown 1&2? Will Amman Ra sing the Ancient King of Bling again?

Amman Ra will only return in our hearts unfortunately. And to the text/logo thing, aside from 'title of game in a colored oval', I don't see the similarities. Maybe you can get me an image that looks dead on to what you see from this game.

Also, people in the comments section of the video pointed out that there is another PS1 game that came out in 2004 (a year later) named Rascal Racers, with the same graphics, the same gameplay, the SAME CHARACTERS... and 9 more levels across 3 more locations. So yeah, it's just...the other 50 percent of the game, I guess. Some guy did a 'review' of that game but he's one of those 'oh so wacky' type reviewers and I'll just let you find it yourself.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
Alright, I did a bunch of one-off videos while things got settled back down over the summer, and now I am back and jumping into another game for full coverage. This time, we're looking at a series that has produced several best-sellers for the PS2 and whose development company is still producing games just like it even now. Maybe some of you played this game, or another in the installment. It's ATV Offroad Fury 2!

Let's Play ATV Offroad Fury 2

What is this game?

ATV Offroad Fury 2 is the second game in Rainbow Studios' racing game series. Players can choose to do several types of events and racing circuits like Nationals, Supercross, Enduro, and Freestyle events. The main mechanics of this game are that the different ATVs don't exactly have better or worse stats than others, just that each one is tuned more along specific scales, and that racers can control the height and distance they get on a jump by preloading before liftoff. This lets you get the exact right line as you go up and over hills or bumps, making sure you always land before the next jump and not right on top of it.

Aside from the competitions, players can do individual races from the competitions, or ride freely around the large areas used in the National and Enduro events.

On a scale of 1 to 10, how good is this game?

Man, I feel a bit worried doing this because I played this game when I was a kid, and I know a lot of other people did as well. Check any of the random gameplay videos or videos of songs on this game's soundtrack and people will be going "I missed this game...they don't make em like they used to". But honestly, playing this game and comparing to a lot of others that came out around this time, ATV Offroad Fury, as a series, is just...average.

Sure, preloading gives you more control over your air and lets you get more technical when the tracks give you technical moments. But the systems aren't advanced enough to really be a simulation-type game. But on the other hand, there's nothing here to really make it stand out from a lot of other racing games at the time. It's average. It's not bad, it's just average. It's enjoyable enough that you won't put the game down and walk away, but it won't be more than just a decent experience for an hour or two. 6 out of 10.

But still. We all played it, so I'm here to walk you back through it. Each video, I will do a different championship on Normal difficulty. Except the Freestyle events. The tricking system is not good enough to make those events fun.

ATV Offroad Fury 2 Part 1: Amateur Nationals

Text Link

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Banjos for music, or decades-old pop. You're riding beefed up lawnmowers.
Actually, there are lawnmower racing games, apparently. :psyduck:

Lawnmower Racing Mania 2007... 8.6 user rating on Metacritic from some seven guys.

Oh, and here's some French people racing combine harvesters
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frXy3R78_h8

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

SelenicMartian posted:

Banjos for music, or decades-old pop. You're riding beefed up lawnmowers.
Actually, there are lawnmower racing games, apparently. :psyduck:

Lawnmower Racing Mania 2007... 8.6 user rating on Metacritic from some seven guys.

Oh, and here's some French people racing combine harvesters
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frXy3R78_h8

There's games that let you race farm machines too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vk9VSVlL5Ig

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

Croccers posted:

There's games that let you race farm machines too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vk9VSVlL5Ig

This is truly the world and age we live in.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
In episode 2, we move on from the Amateur Nationals to the Pro Nationals. This is a new set of tracks that throw overall tougher challenges at us. The same setup that let us dominate the lower events (high acceleration, tight handling) might not be the best for us here, as the longer straightaways and larger tracks mean the AI just tears off on the straightaways then often does any technical parts nearly perfectly. Except for when they gently caress some easy part up, time and time again. Now, grab a soda and watch as a bunch of 6 to 14 minute races get condensed down to a half hour of power.

ATV Offroad Fury 2 Part 2: Pro Nationals

Text Link

Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009
I know it's a staple of extreme sports games to screw with the physics and allows players to have sick, absurd jumps, but it looks so off here in this game, like there were racing on the moon that just happened to look like Earth, but maybe that's just me. On the other hand, it's always hilarious to see riders ricocheting into sub-orbit after crashing and ragdoll beneath other racers' wheels. I wish more racing games did something like that - I'm looking at you, Mario Kart.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

Daigerus posted:

I know it's a staple of extreme sports games to screw with the physics and allows players to have sick, absurd jumps, but it looks so off here in this game, like there were racing on the moon that just happened to look like Earth, but maybe that's just me. On the other hand, it's always hilarious to see riders ricocheting into sub-orbit after crashing and ragdoll beneath other racers' wheels. I wish more racing games did something like that - I'm looking at you, Mario Kart.

Excuse me, if I went ragdolling across the track and flopping there on the ground before I could get back on my bananamobile and throw a red shell at someone, I'd be PEEVED. But yeah, I wonder how the sheer act of 'winding up' better allows me to get dozens of feet more height and distance on a jump. You can't exactly ollie an ATV.

Ah well, it's time to keep this train moving, and we are heading out of the Nationals events and over to the Supercross circuits. These are what you might see when you catch motocross racing on ESPN - indoor stadium circuits with technical tracks designed around short bursts of hills, straightaways, or just moguls. I don't know exactly how many of these events go on a year, or how many stadiums there are for these events, but in the world of ATV Offroad Fury 2, these things must be a national past-time. drat, more people pack these stadiums than when the Super Bowl comes to town!

Unfortunately though, the stadium-type tracks means there aren't any good distinctions between the tracks, and there isn't much creativity. The other events could use the different areas and do creative things with them, while all of these supercross tracks are built out of an X-foot-by-X-foot area that's been shaped and set up in different ways. Rainbow studios did this with the Splashdown games as well, but those stadiums actually got interesting and creative and had larger-than-life designs to them. Ah well, I'm rambling. Let's race.

ATV Offroad Fury 2 Part 3: Amateur Supercross

Text Link

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Average Teenager Videogame Offroad Fury 2.

Are there any silly cheats?

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

SelenicMartian posted:

Average Teenager Videogame Offroad Fury 2.

Are there any silly cheats?

Let me see...

ATV Offroad Fury 2 Cheats posted:

Everything: IGIVEUP
1000 Profile Points: GIMMEPTS
Aggressive CPU Riders: EATDIRT
All ATVS: SHOWROOM
All Games: GAMEON
All Tracks: TRLBLAZR
All Equipment: THREADS
All Championships: GOLDCUPS
Disable Wrecks: FLYPAPER
Unlock San Jacinto Isles: GABRIEL
Get points for doing wheelies: GETONUP
Action Replay Camera: STOPCAM
All out AI Enabled/Disabled: BRINGIT
Switched Aspect Ratio: WIDESCRN

Whoa, whoa, going into widescreen is a CHEAT CODE? Huh? Well, if you want fun cheats, I guess "all-out-AI" could be cool, or aggressive riders (how is that different?), or disabling crashes. Otherwise, it's pretty much unlocking stuff instantly.

Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009

Ovues posted:

Whoa, whoa, going into widescreen is a CHEAT CODE? Huh? Well, if you want fun cheats, I guess "all-out-AI" could be cool, or aggressive riders (how is that different?), or disabling crashes. Otherwise, it's pretty much unlocking stuff instantly.

I'm even more baffled at some other stuff being unlockables, like action replay and doing wheelies. :psyduck: How do you even pull that off in-game? By tricking while still on the ground or something?

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

Daigerus posted:

I'm even more baffled at some other stuff being unlockables, like action replay and doing wheelies. :psyduck: How do you even pull that off in-game? By tricking while still on the ground or something?

Nah, just...hold back on the thumbstick and pray you 'wheelie' without just 'flying off'. Or, it's real easy to wheelie at the very start of races. For further reference, see one of the races in the video below:

ATV Offroad Fury 2 Part 4: Pro Supercross

Text Link

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
Alright, it's finally time to see a part of the game that's actually fun. The Enduro races send you back to those large, wide-open areas as you have to drive the trails, passing through gates in your lap around the level. Now, the gates are usually pretty close to each other, and there's always the one obvious path to get to the next one, but finally the game opens up a bit and offers you a little more room to run the track instead of forcing all 4 wheels to stay on the dirt at all times. While the amateur event is obviously easy, you can sometimes get in good battles with the AI for that next place, and things feel stronger all around. I genuinely enjoy the Enduro events.

ATV Offroad Fury 2 Part 5: Amateur Enduro

Text Link

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

The Endor mode looks like a watered down race in 1nsane http://www.gog.com/game/1nsane

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

SelenicMartian posted:

The Endor mode looks like a watered down race in 1nsane http://www.gog.com/game/1nsane

Oh no, there's ANOTHER series out there like the __XTREME series that's shoving numbers all up in their title? I guess I'll have to buy 2nsane and 3nsane as well.

This gate-type race style is interesting to me. Like I mentioned, I remember doing Midnight Club races where every racer took a different path from gate 1 to gate 2. The Offroad Fury series didn't exactly have the physics or real sense of flow to make it work as well, but it would be cool if everyone was zig-zagging across paths from one gate to the next and there was more than, like, 5 seconds of straight path between gates.

Of course, I'd be zig-zagging like Zig-Zag from Holes. He did it the best.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

The races in 1insane are a jolly clusterfuck of bouncy cars, bending physics and no roads. Haven't played it in a while but I think there's a mode where the target checkpoint changes for everyone when someone hits the current one, so some guy way behind might get lucky and be the closest racer to the next objective.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

SelenicMartian posted:

The races in 1insane are a jolly clusterfuck of bouncy cars, bending physics and no roads. Haven't played it in a while but I think there's a mode where the target checkpoint changes for everyone when someone hits the current one, so some guy way behind might get lucky and be the closest racer to the next objective.

Ooh, that sounds pretty interesting, actually. Also, it's a little early to tell, but blanktester's magic laptop just ran an old PC game I bought for potential recording that is from, like, back in the Windows 98 days. So all those PC games listed back in, like, the first pages of the first thread might be an option now.

Okay, so let's end the 'full coverage' of ATV Offroad Fury 2 on a high note. Well, the highest possible note available. Let's take the Enduro races, which I think are actually fun, and let's make the AI actually challenging. Then, let's extend the tracks to longer yet reasonable amounts. Then, let's go into first person. Somehow, that last step is the key that binds this all together. I feel faster and more involved with the race when I go into first person. And I feel like the game becomes more interesting to watch and play than the complete average racer it was before. Weird, I know, but take my word for it.

ATV Offroad Fury 2 Part 6: Pro Enduro

Text Link

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Ovues posted:

Ooh, that sounds pretty interesting, actually.
The mode's called Jamboree and is as chaotic as I remember.
Turn the audio way down in before the race starts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKc2j-fANWk

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
Someone in the youtube comments linked me to a video, which is a preview of Criterion's new game that seems to be about all sorts of extreme-sports type racing. Here is the promo vid.

The thing is...this video is from last summer. How have I never heard about it until now? Also, it leaves me...cautiously worried. It does seem like with GoPro cameras and such bringing extreme, cool-looking stuff back, that someone should try to capitalize on this a little more than an Xbox live arcade game or some Kinect Racing poo poo. But it seems like this game isn''t getting enough push to really reach a wide audience yet. Or, at least, I was out of the loop. Maybe one it gets made a little more, we'll start seeing more about it, because Criterion could do something really fun if they want to.

But man, I don't think there's been any great extreme racing/tricking games since Pure, and that game is almost 7 years old now!

Man, haha, Pure, man...I wonder when I'll ever play that game again...I really gotta get around to it...

it's next up

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
Alright, let's round out ATV Offroad Fury 2 with a brief coverage of the last event in the game, Freestyle mode. Freestlye mode is all about doing tricks across the levels (and doing some collectible challenges). Here, the game has no idea of a 'difficulty scale', as challenges can vary in difficulty from level to level, and in fact, amateur mode is much HARDER than pro mode in general. That's probably because Pro mode changes the tracks and offers unique tracks that...are either very basic, or are more stadiums. Amateur Mode can throw these high tricking goals at you in areas that weren't fully designed for tricking, which is where a whole lot of the difficulty is. As such, I didn't have fun, and you wouldn't have fun if I did full coverage of these things. o here's a vid with some of the highlights and lowlights of Freestyle Mode, all wrapped up into a nice neat package.

ATV Offroad Fury 2 Bonus: Freestyle Mode

Text Link

Of course, we're still in the ATV block, and just as this game was (technically) a step up from the last one, the next game will be leagues above this one in quality. A quality ATV racing game that delivers great racing and tricking with a huge amount of customization? I'm sure you all know what I'm talking about.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

I'm afraid, I can't let you do that, INS.

Tricking events on these race levels is like Aggressive Inline challenges on the Hill Bike Boredom maps.

Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009
Dang, those Red Target challenges just looked impossible. And I've wondered why you always put in INS, even if you have enough space to write out INSETIK.

Also, they should have added tornadoes in some of the races and Ded Bread should be a thing now.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

Daigerus posted:

Dang, those Red Target challenges just looked impossible. And I've wondered why you always put in INS, even if you have enough space to write out INSETIK.

Also, they should have added tornadoes in some of the races and Ded Bread should be a thing now.

No, see, here's the secret behind INS and 147 - those three letters are all the same distance apart, and those three numbers are the same distance apart. It's a subtle bit of symmetry, which I add to my videos to make them intriguingly watchable and addictive.

or I'm too lazy to write out the full thing

Would Ded Bread be one of my sponsors? I mean, I'm already sponsored by Dole Fruits. They don't get a lot of rep in these vids but on my other channel in my "Dolin' on them kids sponsored by Dole Fruits" segments I get, like, triple collateral no-scopes in CS:GO. Then I give them fruit.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
Alright, to cap off the ATV block, it's time to finally bust out one of the best games ever to combine racing and tricking in one smooth, nearly-perfect package. And for the first time in these threads' long history, the "PS2" tag isn't quite appropriate here. We're jumping into the future, baby, the future of 2008 to play Pure!

What is this game?

Pure is an ATV-racing game for the Xbox 360 and PS3, developed by Black Rock Studios and published by Disney. Pure is normally a racing game, but each level has large jumps where you can soar into the air and do some cool tricks before you land to get some boost and drive even faster. While not exactly revolutionary, Pure updates and packages everything together into a very-well-done game where every aspect of it is perfectly implemented. The races feel intense, the jumps feel huge, the customization feels in-depth and interesting, and the audio/visuals look and sound great. Like I said in the video, the market for tricking 'n racing games had all but dried up by the beginning of the Xbox 360 / PS3's life, but nobody told Black Rock that. Instead, they delivered a kick-rear end game that is fun to play against bots and was amazing to play against other people.

Unfortunately, that last part might be the one big drawback to playing Pure today. It's not that online mode was required or anything, but it's a little sad that Pure is another game with little to no online community today. Like I said in the first video, maybe I could get some people to play Pure again at the same time one weekend or so and we could have a little meet n greet of KING INSETIK community event. Speaking of videos, let's move on to the first set of tracks in Part 1!

Let's Play Pure Part 1: Stage 1

Text Link

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

For the slowest class it doesn't really seem slow.

Hrvstmn31
Aug 2, 2014

You did what in your cup?
So is Fuel next? I haven't been able to play it and I'd like to see it someday.

Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009
Dang, that does look like a whole lot of fun and I'm not even a racing fan myself. Everything just looks really well-executed, from menu selections to the "choose your upgrades" system to the way you wipe out and get back to the race so swiftly to the crazy, inspired tricks you can pull off to the gorgeous-looking environments. Also, having more competitors around really does make a difference in selling the player how exciting these races can be.

Just to be clear, does the Thrill Bar also double as your Boost gauge? If so, does that mean that there's incentive to do tricks outside of Freestyle races?

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

SelenicMartian posted:

For the slowest class it doesn't really seem slow.

You should see my stats when I get up into B-class and A-class. I am flying across the land while pulling mile-wide drifts across the land. I mean all of that in a good way. Seriously, if you can't imagine what I mean with the game doing 'auto-drifting', you have to pick the game up and try it. It makes me want to lean back and take a drag from a REAL CIGAR (NOT THAT E_VAPE STUFF)>

Hrvstmn31 posted:

So is Fuel next? I haven't been able to play it and I'd like to see it someday.

Honestly, in this series, I don't really do pure-racing-games (you know what I mean there). I feel like lap-based racers are harder to make an interesting series out of due to the natural repetition of laps. Here for Pure, the later races have a ton of shortcuts and there's a good amount of tacks once the Race and Sprint tracks are added up. But I'm still cutting 5+ minute races down to highlights, and there's a lot of tricking variation to spice things up. I might still check Fuel out, but I'll have to see how it is before I choose to cover it. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Daigerus posted:

Dang, that does look like a whole lot of fun and I'm not even a racing fan myself. Everything just looks really well-executed, from menu selections to the "choose your upgrades" system to the way you wipe out and get back to the race so swiftly to the crazy, inspired tricks you can pull off to the gorgeous-looking environments. Also, having more competitors around really does make a difference in selling the player how exciting these races can be.

Just to be clear, does the Thrill Bar also double as your Boost gauge? If so, does that mean that there's incentive to do tricks outside of Freestyle races?

Pure is also for PC, as I was told. You should be able to get it and play it if you really want to. Also, yes, the thrill bar is your boost bar. If you boost with it, you can boost below the sections that give you advanced tricks and you gotta start with basic stuff again, so it's a tradeoff between going super-fast and busting the biggest tricks. However, if you do get the ability to do special tricks, you can do one of those no matter how full the thrill bar is. You can boost it all away, bust a special trick, and get it all back. It's great.

Insetik fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Oct 1, 2015

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
Now that you've seen a good sample of the gameplay of Pure, video 2 starts with a closer look into the customization system as I rebuilt my ride to look STUNNING and FAB. Then we go through Stage 2, which introduces more levels along with the first Freestyle event. Freestyle events are all about tricking, and again the game goes above and beyond in modifying the levels and providing pick-ups to help you out and give you more bang for your buck. In Freestyle, you ride until you run out of gas, which takes about 3 laps if you keep landing your tricks and don't crash all over the place. However, you're really judged by the amount of points you get from going off big jumps, busting big tricks, and stringing them together to multiply your rewards. drat, it feels good to wreck face at these.

Let's Play Pure Part 2: Stage 2

Text Link

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

I just realised this was on Steam...

Apparently the steam release asks to insert disk at launch. Any disk.

Hrvstmn31
Aug 2, 2014

You did what in your cup?

SelenicMartian posted:

Thats hilarious I knew I kept that thing around for a reason.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

SelenicMartian posted:

Well, let us know how the install-via-AOL-free-trial thing works out.

Alright, on the the next episode of Pure, we keep moving up in the world and we move up to a new engine class! Things get a little tougher across the board, and you need to start taking those shortcuts or getting those point combos if you've been cruising along at an easy-going pace.

Let's Play Pure Part 3: Stage 3

Text Link

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Did you strafe at 4:49? :spyduck:

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

SelenicMartian posted:

Did you strafe at 4:49? :spyduck:

Hah, that's just a weird little glitch. I guess the game reached in to save me from a fiery, painful crash.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
In the next stage, we keep seeing new tracks, trick over old tracks, and get our first absolute repeat event. I don't think repeat events are an issue here, because you will have much better control of your ATV by the time you race the same track again, so there's a good sense of 'doing things better' here that keeps things fresh.

Let's Play Pure Part 4: Stage 4

Text Link

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I have to say that after watching everything else you've put yourself through, Pure looks like a wonderful breath of fresh air. I hope it stays fun to play all the way to the end.

• Locked thread