Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009

Ovues posted:

Now that you've seen a bit of gameplay, what do you think? BioEnchanted tells us that the first few levels are a bit more 'general' and focuses less on specific lines, though I am still seeing a good amount of ways to get from point A to point B. What do you see?

It looks rather fun, if a bit clunky in execution, and the tutorial could have been made shorter if it combined similar moves like the Wall Walk and Pharaoh Walk where the only difference is just the animation. Also, more sport games need more explosions where the player can have hilarious fun injuring their player avatars.

Just curious, is it possible to chain ground tricks into walls, like doing a Flying Dragon or Flick Flack towards the wall and then doing the Tic Tac? Also, is there a limit to how far you can fall (outside of falling out of the level boundaries) before doing a Breakfall or Precision Landing isn't feasible and you're forced to take a lot of damage? I presume that falling out of the level means losing all your health and forcing you to restart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009

SelenicMartian posted:

Living in that block must suck. Every time some bastard in stolen shorts jumps from a dumpster to an air conditioner playing "the floor is lava" you get noisy fireworks. Then some dummy smashes into your window and a dude yells "Flying butt twist!"

I think the pacers must have misheard "strip poker" at one point and that's why our guy is getting clothes as prizes, one article at a time. Though it would have been more hilarious if the player was redoing missions they've beaten and their opponent is just wearing boxers. Speaking of which, is there an option to wear as little clothing as possible like in that snowboarding game?

Also, don't forget the abandoned shopping carts accompanied by shifty-looking hobos and the amount of crates of TNT scattered around that would put any Michael Bay movie to shame.

Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009
My favorite character is the shark mascot from Wakeboarding Unleashed - he'd give Left Shark a run for his money. Or maybe Zippy the orca from the same level.

Also, that bio video was very jarring to watch - it's like the people behind it didn't know how to edit action scenes and interviews together decently. Or at all. At least we always have our moose flying into sub-orbit. And church-vandalizing. But hey, at least this game acknowledges that religion exists, but now I'm wondering who'd even build a church up high, or who'd even go up that high in the first place just for a sermon.

Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009
The docks definitely look a lot more exciting than the first three levels. It might have been better if this had been the third level and Flats and Mill had been combined together into one level for better pacing. On the other hand, the challenge with the cranes and the swinging look a lot more difficult and extreme than any of the other previous challenges, so maybe the earlier levels are necessary to acclimate the player to the controls first before upping the ante?

Also, it's pretty neat that the level design provides multiple ways to get up if you ever accidentally fall off the beaten path, so it's not necessary to restart one of those race challenges.

Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009
Huh, I would have thought you'd lose more health from falling at that height and hitting your head, but nope, video game logic. Would also explain why the freighter is missing so many railings and catwalks.

Also that mannequin butt. I don't think video game logic can even cover that.

Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009
Yeah, I pretty much agree that they should have gone with the Warehouse earlier, unless the designers' intention was to give the player a breather level of sorts to add some contrast and variety to the game's pacing. But ideally, they should gone for escalation instead. Also, where are the explosives in Crash Test? You'd think the warehouse would be the very first place you'd find explosions in. :colbert:

Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009

Ovues posted:

Now, we're back to Free Running, where the levels get bigger, the challenges get harder, and the lines get...uhh...really confusing. It's like they hit a sweet spot of 'flow' in the middle of the game and now all the flow is getting stripped away for all these difficult, precise routes. Is this what you guys expected 'end-game' difficulty to look like?

Actually, it was kind of close to what I expected, except for the horrible camera angles. Like you guys said in the video, if the camera had pulled back a bit farther, those oddly precise lines would have been more reasonable, since you'd be able to see possible routes and your intended goals ahead of time. It doesn't really do the game in any favors to have the camera fixate on the player's body 90% of the time when one needs to see where they're going in the first place. I do enjoy how creative these lines are, at least.

Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009
I love the sound effects you added in the last third of the video. Really helped sell how goofy these glitches are. :allears:

Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009
Maybe you guys would have better luck in not wiping out if you did the paddling thing with L1/R1 buttons to build up speed before standing up, but this game seems very lackluster in terms of content. They should have at least given you a practice mode if they were going to follow the arcade format.

Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009
Surf's Up is looking to be a surprisingly decent game with an okay difficulty curve, and I actually enjoyed the cutscenes. And as disappointed as I am in the lack of sharks in that latest video, how would they be incorporated into the gameplay? Just have them like obstacles, except they could home in on your player avatar and you could only dodge them by jumping the waves or grinding?

Also, that second mystery game, we barely knew thee, and that was probably for the best.

Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009
I know it's a staple of extreme sports games to screw with the physics and allows players to have sick, absurd jumps, but it looks so off here in this game, like there were racing on the moon that just happened to look like Earth, but maybe that's just me. On the other hand, it's always hilarious to see riders ricocheting into sub-orbit after crashing and ragdoll beneath other racers' wheels. I wish more racing games did something like that - I'm looking at you, Mario Kart.

Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009

Ovues posted:

Whoa, whoa, going into widescreen is a CHEAT CODE? Huh? Well, if you want fun cheats, I guess "all-out-AI" could be cool, or aggressive riders (how is that different?), or disabling crashes. Otherwise, it's pretty much unlocking stuff instantly.

I'm even more baffled at some other stuff being unlockables, like action replay and doing wheelies. :psyduck: How do you even pull that off in-game? By tricking while still on the ground or something?

Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009
Dang, those Red Target challenges just looked impossible. And I've wondered why you always put in INS, even if you have enough space to write out INSETIK.

Also, they should have added tornadoes in some of the races and Ded Bread should be a thing now.

Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009
Dang, that does look like a whole lot of fun and I'm not even a racing fan myself. Everything just looks really well-executed, from menu selections to the "choose your upgrades" system to the way you wipe out and get back to the race so swiftly to the crazy, inspired tricks you can pull off to the gorgeous-looking environments. Also, having more competitors around really does make a difference in selling the player how exciting these races can be.

Just to be clear, does the Thrill Bar also double as your Boost gauge? If so, does that mean that there's incentive to do tricks outside of Freestyle races?

Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009
Ouch, I guess at this stage, you really can't afford to bail unless you wanted to see some oddly banal ragdoll animations if you wanted to get first. Also, I know the Special tricks are supposed to be over-the-top, but why is there a trick named Horseboxer, and why does Google not have anything to say about it, other than it's probably a name made up solely for this game? Just seems like a random name to give a trick that involves breakdancing and cow bells.

Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009

Ovues posted:

And what, you've never put boxing gloves on a horse? Put 2 of them in a boxing ring and told them to go at it?

That's a big temptation, yes.

Back on topic with the game, I've noticed that you've stopped getting new upgrades for your ride after a while. Is it possible to get them all eventually, or do you miss out on some of them to make your choices matter more?

Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009
Well, if my theoretical conspiracy about Insetik being an actual insect alien experiment is correct, he should be able to regenerate from that by the time the next recording session rolls around. Or by the count of 10. Whichever one works.

Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009
:golfclap: :golfclap: :golfclap: :golfclap: :golfclap: :golfclap: :golfclap: :golfclap: :golfclap: :golfclap: :golfclap: :golfclap: :golfclap: :golfclap: :golfclap: :golfclap:

Awesome way to start off the new year. You should bring in Johnny and Medium-Rare Steak more often in future games, like Rider X or Jon Mosley.

Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009
I dunno about favorite jokes, but one of my favorite stories was the one about Insetik getting hit by a car and acting like it was no big deal, which led me to speculate that he must be some insectoid alien like his namesake.

Also, that poor nematode. Did it have a name, at least? We could name it Johnny Jr.

Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009

Ovues posted:

uhh...do you at all remember what video that story was in? I feel like I would remember that kind of thing happening. BUt maybe I worded it in a weird way.

I think it was during one of the early games you did, Aggressive Inline, I think? I can't remember the specific video or the details involved: just that there was a car and that you were part of that event with said car in some incident.

Hrvstmn31 posted:

If it helps mixing a decent game with a crappy one might be a good idea, that way you don't run out of good games and end up with a pile of turds.

What this guy said.

Also, loving the randomly bizarre tangent into condoms and ghosts and bearmen.

Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009
I thought maybe having one of the more advanced boards would mitigate the issue of getting enough points during those tricking events, but I noticed that there doesn't seem to be a stat that increases the amount of points you get through tricking. Though def48gaming on YouTube noted that flips don't get you a lot of points after a while, so focus on grabs more apparently.

Other than that, maybe having more Speed and Jump would give you more time to land those tricks you need. Maybe it's just me, but on the first tricking level you got silver on, it seemed like you could turn left into another round after going down that ramp you first start the level on.

Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009
It really sucks the difficulty ramps up too quickly to be enjoyable. I feel like they should have given you more time to allow the player to adjust to the drastic jump in difficulty. Also enjoying the post-post-commentary additions as well, that should be another thing to incorporate to your style of LPing, because it helps you to stand out more, in my opinion.

Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009

Ovues posted:

Really? I added those Post-Post-comm things in just because I felt like I didn't say what I should have said. I think they'd be distracting if I had them in every video, especially once a game is underway and the commentary is a little more freeform. Yanya Caballista just doesn't stop introducing new things, and moments like this deserve to be serious. More serious than normal, that is. I guess, when would you want to see those extra inserts? What situations would/should they come up in?

Oh, I thought that was just you poking fun at the whole LP commentary shtick in a meta way by adding another layer to it. Usually, if you had to add/fix something, you just did it with those overlays on YouTube, and I assumed the post-post-comm was a more visually engaging way of doing that.

Back on topic, that glitch in the BOOST level was very jarring. For that moment, you dislocated physic's shoulder and relocated it back in. Also, I miss finding fictional guest stars in most video games nowadays.

Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009
Dang, you got an S rank from that level. Probably to compensate for the horrible level design in the Front Side of Prison Island. And I've never noticed the attack patterns till you guys mentioned it, so I'd probably rewatch some of the other videos and see what the other skaters have to deliver.

And speaking on topic, Yanya Caballista would be a "so bad it's good" movie just purely based on the premise alone. Who would play the skaters in that theoretical movie?

Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009
I'm just shocked that the designers were okay with taping an entire outhouse onto the bike model, regardless of how doing tricks would make said outhouse clip all over the geometry. Also, is it impossible to grind on the ropes when transporting those constipated workers? I can't help but notice you were taking the long way around for one of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009

SelenicMartian posted:

Mirra, Mirra on the wall, who does the sickest facegrind of them all?

Now that's a skateboarding trick I'd like to see. Though I can't decide if it means "grinding with your own face" or "grinding on someone's face" or even "grinding while using someone else's face like a skateboard".

And yeah, it's nice when a game is transparent about its mechanics, and when it's not, it's just frustrating because you don't know what you did or how you could have done better. Or maybe you're suppose to exploit how you can keep tricking even after the time limit as long as you don't break your trick combo, so it's possible you're meant to cheese and get half a million points at the end to get gold?

• Locked thread