Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Ambi posted:

Since it's a new thread, and it was briefly in the 3rd post, can I ask - what is BvD ?

It's somewhere between a South Park version of dogfighting and a less didactic version of the "rear end to rear end" scene from the end of Requiem for a Dream

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

Crion posted:

What the gently caress

Perhaps I'm overthinking it. Or oversharing. Probably both.

I like vampires.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Effectronica posted:

Trick question, they're all Obrimoi, because Game of Thrones is bad.

Oh, you're dead, buddy. You're loving dead. But in the name of which referent?

MalcolmSheppard
Jun 24, 2012
MATTHEW 7:20

Loomer posted:

This was the position they took later on, after someone pointed out how loving insane they were being - there was zero equivalency given initially, and they were presented as sharp, fundamental distinctions.

The fact that the P'o is equivalent to the Shadow goes back to Dark Kingdom of Jade in 1995, predating KotE.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

MalcolmSheppard posted:

The fact that the P'o is equivalent to the Shadow goes back to Dark Kingdom of Jade in 1995, predating KotE.

DKoJ was a little less clear on equivalency, as I recall.

EDIT:
Having checked, it's as I remember. While functionally the same, the Hun and P'o are presented as fundamentally distinct souls while the shadow is an innate part of the unitary soul.

Loomer fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Apr 11, 2015

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
e: nvm

Kellsterik fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Apr 13, 2015

MalcolmSheppard
Jun 24, 2012
MATTHEW 7:20

Loomer posted:

DKoJ was a little less clear on equivalency, as I recall.

EDIT:
Having checked, it's as I remember. While functionally the same, the Hun and P'o are presented as fundamentally distinct souls while the shadow is an innate part of the unitary soul.

If they're functionally the same, the rest is perspective. KotE has the Yin World too, which is "functionally the same" as the Shadowlands because it's the Shadowlands, even though it's presented differently.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.

Ambi posted:

Since it's a new thread, and it was briefly in the 3rd post, can I ask - what is BvD ?

It's an abbreviation of "Baby versus Dog", referencing a dumb piece of chapter intro fiction from...I want to say Danse Macabre? One of the Vampire books. Where a ghouled baby fights a ghouled dog for the entertainment of jaded vampires, if it was unclear.

tatankatonk fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Apr 11, 2015

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I think it was Damnation City. Which, incidentally, is the exact book where you can see nWoD turning the corner and deciding to stop doing that stuff quite so much, maybe put more thought into the implications of what it does. I wonder if you can pinpoint the exact page.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Mors Rattus posted:

I think it was Damnation City. Which, incidentally, is the exact book where you can see nWoD turning the corner and deciding to stop doing that stuff quite so much, maybe put more thought into the implications of what it does. I wonder if you can pinpoint the exact page.

XX.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

The fluff and crunch divide in Damnation City is big enough to drive a truck through. You've got B vs. D and other 2edgy poo poo, and then you've got this absolutely fantastic city building toolkit in between it.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

MalcolmSheppard posted:

If they're functionally the same, the rest is perspective. KotE has the Yin World too, which is "functionally the same" as the Shadowlands because it's the Shadowlands, even though it's presented differently.

Except being treated as functionally the same for mechanical purposes does not equal being the same - if that was the case, there would be no actual difference between a Gift and a Discipline because they've both been used to represent the same things. DKoJ maintains a binary soul as opposed to the unitary soul of core Wraith of the same era, which is an important distinction that you're trying to gloss over. The PG, released the same year, has a similar distinction - Hun and P'o remain distinct from, if analogous, to the Psyche/Shadow. The divide was increasingly bridged over as things went, but it was there and distinct at the start.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Damnation City is really cool. The sample Princes all manage to avoid cliches and the city-building stuff is useful if you don't really know about the place you've set your game in.

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

tatankatonk posted:

It's an abbreviation of "Baby versus Dog", referencing a dumb piece of chapter intro fiction from...I want to say Danse Macabre? One of the Vampire books. Where a ghouled baby fights a ghouled dog for the entertainment of jaded vampires, if it was unclear.

The baby's actually a vampire - what in 2E would be a revenant. But yeah. Bloodsports for extremely bored ancillae.

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets
Also, I thought it was pretty clear that Kuei-Jin aren't the same sort of monster as western Kindred viewed through a cultural filter, they're Risen. As in the minor Crow-alike splat from Wraith.

Wheras the African vampires are the same things as western Kindred given different names and social roles for the clans. Well, until DAV20, anyway.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

Mors Rattus posted:

Once Rose came on board as a writer (and later developer) Vampire really started to find its feet and make serious moves towards the eventual 2E. I doubt it was literally because of her presence, but it's a pretty reliable landmark for the start of the "1.5E"

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Kuei-jin aren't really Risen either, though. The Kuei sort of are, but the Kuei-jin are too distinct from both Cainites and Risen to be readily classed as either.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

So they're.. what, Raising Cane's?

Punting
Sep 9, 2007
I am very witty: nit-witty, dim-witty, and half-witty.

Cabbit posted:

So they're.. what, Raising Cane's?

Well you could make an argument that Vitae is a most addicting sauce...

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Dave Brookshaw posted:

Also, I thought it was pretty clear that Kuei-Jin aren't the same sort of monster as western Kindred viewed through a cultural filter, they're Risen. As in the minor Crow-alike splat from Wraith.

Wheras the African vampires are the same things as western Kindred given different names and social roles for the clans. Well, until DAV20, anyway.

Wait, what did they do? Are all my V:tES Laibon decks invalid now?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
My GM refused to run a campaign with us before because we wanted to be werewolves who all worked at a fried chicken fast food restaurant. If only I had the WoD knowledge then, that I do now...

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

MonsieurChoc posted:

Wait, what did they do? Are all my V:tES Laibon decks invalid now?

Introduced some new African bloodlines (and/or completely distinct creatures that happen to share the common traits of generation, etc):
-the Bonsam, who consider themselves distinct from both the Laibon and Cainites and are either an Akunansae or Nosferatu offshoot, if not a wholly different kind.
-The Impundulu, a Laibon lineage intimately linked with mortal Revenant magicians.
-The Ramanga, Madagascar's Vampires who share obtenebration with the Lasombra.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Loomer posted:

Introduced some new African bloodlines (and/or completely distinct creatures that happen to share the common traits of generation, etc):
-the Bonsam, who consider themselves distinct from both the Laibon and Cainites and are either an Akunansae or Nosferatu offshoot, if not a wholly different kind.
-The Impundulu, a Laibon lineage intimately linked with mortal Revenant magicians.
-The Ramanga, Madagascar's Vampires who share obtenebration with the Lasombra.

Wait, that's new stuff, new stuff is cool!

It's just, I actually liked the Laibon stuff and was afraid they'd unmade it.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I just remembered this less than serious but still appropriate take on Awakening:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WznBZhCFWWg

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Kavak posted:

I just remembered this less than serious but still appropriate take on Awakening:

I think you mean this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xi_hcwB8i64

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Is that blog post about Beast: the Primordial that they were talking about up yet?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Kavak posted:

Huh, I didn't realize he was using his first name now.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Yawgmoth posted:

Counterpoint: malcolm sheppard is a lovely writer, a lovely poster, & a lovely person and if he weren't credited in WW books he would have been banned long ago.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Son of a bitch, I made all those free Etherwind posts when you had a goddamn alt all the time.

WINNERSH TRIANGLE
Aug 17, 2011

Wasn't Mage best summed up by the dynamic between ICP's 'Miracles' (a radical Free Council/Silver Ladder collaboration) and Kanye/Jay-Z's 'Watch the Throne' (rich, powerful men producing Seer propaganda about how rich and powerful they are)?

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
I think this sums up the Obrimos pretty well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouwCWDbBskU

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

I'm possibly going to be playing a werewolf who deals with sea stuff soonish. Are there any decent merits or rules subsystems to look out for and anything to avoid?

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

WINNERSH TRIANGLE posted:

Wasn't Mage best summed up by the dynamic between ICP's 'Miracles' (a radical Free Council/Silver Ladder collaboration) and Kanye/Jay-Z's 'Watch the Throne' (rich, powerful men producing Seer propaganda about how rich and powerful they are)?

While "Watch the Throne" is a good metaphor as a concept I still say the video for 'Power' is Peak Seers of the Throne

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=L53gjP-TtGE

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Loomer posted:

Except being treated as functionally the same for mechanical purposes does not equal being the same - if that was the case, there would be no actual difference between a Gift and a Discipline because they've both been used to represent the same things. DKoJ maintains a binary soul as opposed to the unitary soul of core Wraith of the same era, which is an important distinction that you're trying to gloss over. The PG, released the same year, has a similar distinction - Hun and P'o remain distinct from, if analogous, to the Psyche/Shadow. The divide was increasingly bridged over as things went, but it was there and distinct at the start.

Please stop holding the '90s Spooky Elfgame Council of Chalcedon.

Hold the '90s Spooky Elfgames Council of Nicaea instead. Weaver, Wyrm, Wyld: three hypostases of one Gaian ousia? Let's fight.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Gerund posted:

Nordic-style LARPS, aka jeepform, are really cool experiences that qualify as role-playing games despite never granting XP and ignoring poo poo like health levels. They're not in the same building as any Strength + Punchskill - Dodgeability game.

From a page back, but I wanted to point out that this doesn't actually explain a goddamn thing.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Gilok posted:

From a page back, but I wanted to point out that this doesn't actually explain a goddamn thing.

Basically, they're live-action roleplaying "games" where there's as little elements of game-mechanics as possible. People just spend the LARP acting in character and maybe getting into foam-sword battles (If you're playing an expert swordsman, be good at foam-sword fighting!). Or something like that - the last time I participated in one I was eight years old and found the entire experience rather dull because I was the only child my age there. The most fun event I can remember was a Scottish-themed medieval LARP which was set up around a tournament between different clans. There were duels (usually to the first strike that hit, or the first time someone "drew blood") with foam weapons, caber toss where the players tossed real poles, a brewing contest, and a cake-baking contest where the entrants were judged on their real-world cake-baking ability (and size of bribes given in-character to the judges) through actually baking a cake at the LARP.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

If my understanding of Nordic larps is in any way coherent it seems like they seize on the parts of traditional Masquerade LARPs that people actually enjoyed (being a jerk, being in character, immersive elements) while limiting the parts that nobody liked (rock-paper-scissor, mass combat, other immersion breakers). It has evolved from there to include a whole lot of dramatic techniques designed to reduce the boundaries between player and character and from what I understand is supposed to be a very 'intense' experience. This is in direct contrast to America foam-sword boffing contests that are built on a wide gradient of rules-vs-character or American-style Vampire-LARPs that try to relegate anything more complicated than dialogue to a mechanical abstraction.

I'm not sure which one is 'better' but I will say that social-oriented LARPs tend to run the smoothest when checks are not being made and grind to a halt when anybody wants to do anything more complicated than hide or look at something.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Mendrian posted:

If my understanding of Nordic larps is in any way coherent it seems like they seize on the parts of traditional Masquerade LARPs that people actually enjoyed (being a jerk, being in character, immersive elements) while limiting the parts that nobody liked (rock-paper-scissor, mass combat, other immersion breakers). It has evolved from there to include a whole lot of dramatic techniques designed to reduce the boundaries between player and character and from what I understand is supposed to be a very 'intense' experience. This is in direct contrast to America foam-sword boffing contests that are built on a wide gradient of rules-vs-character or American-style Vampire-LARPs that try to relegate anything more complicated than dialogue to a mechanical abstraction.

I'm not sure which one is 'better' but I will say that social-oriented LARPs tend to run the smoothest when checks are not being made and grind to a halt when anybody wants to do anything more complicated than hide or look at something.

There's a free overview here:

https://nordiclarp.wordpress.com/

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Does anyone happen to recall the online-only chapters of Hunter: Apocrypha, or have them available?

EDIT:
You know, I really can't stress how much the series Utopia is ideal for WoD inspiration, both new and old. For Demon, you have your world of paranoia, overwhelming forces that can and will do anything to track and destroy you, the sinister machinations of a globe-spanning conspiracy that operates on the highest theoretical levels, and your hyper-realism. For oMage you have... all of those things again, plus direct examples of what's wrong with the Technocracy. And then you have the soundtrack, which is unique, but could be readily exploited for Demon especially. This isn't an ideal link - a bunch of the tracks include voice overs, etc, - but it's a good idea. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsJXfkOlCLw

It's also one of the most bizarre soundtracks to a show I've heard in a while, too, since it seems to do everything you're not meant to do when you're scoring telly.

Loomer fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Apr 12, 2015

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

paradoxGentleman posted:

Is that blog post about Beast: the Primordial that they were talking about up yet?

The first one just went up HERE.

It's just an intro + fiction, still interesting though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

quote:

"Welcome to My Nightmare"

Eve loosened the hoodie. She had pulled it tight around her face, trying to screen out the world, for all the good it had done. The cafeteria was too loud, and the sounds too diverse. Boys thumping on tables, high-pitched laughter from girls, the hum of the microphone that the lunch lady used, in vain, to get them to shut up. Eve stared down into her juice, and thought of water, the silent, cool, Boundless Deeps. She felt the cold on her skin, and she was home, if only in her mind.
Something slammed into her back and pitched her forward. One of the boys — Antonio — was playing catch using a wadded up piece of paper and had slipped. Eve stood up, wiping juice and the remnants of her lunch from her hoodie. She turned to face him.
“My bad,” said Antonio. Eve said nothing. Antonio didn’t wait for acknowledgement, he just turned and went back to his game.
Eve reached out and grabbed him by the hair. She pulled, using only a fraction of her true strength, and yanked him backwards into her arms. If we were in the ocean, she thought, I could crush him. I could eat his skin and liquefy his flesh in my mouth, and drink him slowly. The thought appealed, and started to call her home.
Seawater trickled into the room from the corners. No one noticed. The students chanted “Fight! Fight!” Someone ran to get the principal.

Eve let him go. Antonio turned, and curled his hands into a fist. And then he glanced at his forearm, and stopped.
A row of angry, circular wounds had appeared across his arms. Eve hadn’t touched him there. He looked at her in horror, and she pulled the hoodie strings tight again. “Don’t touch me,” she said.
Antonio could only nod.

hahahaha yessssssssssss

welcome to hell, you loving normies!!!!!