Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Periodiko posted:

The show explains that Rust's hallucinations are due to past drug use, but it never actually suggests that those visions don't have insight, in fact it does the opposite on a number of occasions. It's also worth mentioning that Rust is literally portrayed as the smartest and most insightful character on the show, by a wide margin. Rust is basically an ascetic mystic who the show directly compares to Jesus Christ shortly after that scene. The show strongly blurs the line between hallucination and religious vision, and implies that they're basically the same thing, and importantly, doesn't reduce religious visions to mere hallucinations, but also elevates hallucinations. Just as it doesn't reduce the cult to mere psychopathic weirdos, but also elevates their occult behavior to being part of a cosmic struggle between light and darkness.

The whole point is that Rust's visions are indistinguishable from religious epiphanies. The show is explicitly about the human condition, and how human spirituality and metaphysics fits into that. It's a show that actively questions what giant metaphysical ideas like the battle between Light and Darkness actually mean, and it takes its religion and occultism very seriously. The show literally ends with a character escaping nihilism by becoming Jesus Christ and finding a spiritual safe-haven as a warrior of light. Rust's visions are important.

True Detective: a show about one man finding Jesus Christ. He spends the whole show staring in a mirror, looking for meaning, only in self-sacrifice in the fight against evil does he see Jesus. Praise the Lord.

Pfft, whatever. Seems like something a troll would type to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Rad Lieutenant posted:

Weird, it's almost as if it's open to multiple interpretations.

Yeah, I'm fine with people seeing it either way, but to say that the other doesn't exist and is in your sad tumblr mind is pretty dumb

Edit: Like, it's over-the-top obvious that it's supposed to go either way. Pizzalatte admits that Lovecraft was a major inspiration but that he wanted to walk the line, the two guys he stole material from are major contributors to Cosmic Horror fiction, and the director is now working on IT, a Cosmic Horror inspired movie.

Professor Shark fucked around with this message at 11:08 on May 13, 2015

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Rust's character change is directly related to his visions. He talks early on in the show how he sees the acceptance in the eyes of the dead and interprets that as them being happy about dying since it releases them from the burden of the existence. He later says that while lying wounded under the vortex, he could feel his daughter's presence on the other side of death. Although he doesn't outright state it, this would change his interpretation of the acceptance he saw in the eyes. If he attributed the presence of his daughter to hallucinations from drug use he pretty obviously wouldn't change his outlook. Even if the events aren't supernatural one of the main characters thinks that they are.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4uxGbhO4ag

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

it doesn't look bad, but it really doesn't have distinctive element to it, like Season 1 had. Maybe I'm just not seeing it, though?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXwCoNwBSkQ

Looking forward to seeing how it goes.

suztan
Jul 4, 2012

Drifter posted:

it doesn't look bad, but it really doesn't have distinctive element to it, like Season 1 had. Maybe I'm just not seeing it, though?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXwCoNwBSkQ

Looking forward to seeing how it goes.

I think it might be hindsight. I remember seeing that trailer not long after finishing the series and thinking, wow, it's almost like they really were trying to avoid most of the tone/themes of the series. It reminds me of the promotional material for Drive. It really, really played up the "woo car action" aspect of it, when it reality it was nearly two hours of Ryan Gosling trying to be a real human being.

So, while it looks like s2 is going to be more "shooty shooty HBO cop hour" and less "the entire California freeway system is Cthulhu's tentacles", going by what the s1 trailer showed us vs what it gave us, I think we're going to get something at the same level of quality. Unfortunately, it's not going to be vaguely supernatural Southern Gothic set in impoverished backwater Louisiana, which is what drew a lot of people to the show, and I think moving away from its established setting is going to turn a lot of people off (and going by the thread, already has).

I'll quote this post after the show airs so you can laugh at how wrong I am

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I couldn't be more excited for Season 2, but I preferred the first trailer with no dialogue, just that haunting song. I think it was a T-Bone Burnett original, but I don't know who the singer was.

I'm wondering if they will keep "Far From Any Road" by the Handsome Family for the opening credits. I got obsessed with that song when I binge-watched Season 1, and couldn't stop listening to it. Despite its Western sound and imagery not synching up with the rural Louisiana setting, it set the tone for the show perfectly.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

suztan posted:

So, while it looks like s2 is going to be more "shooty shooty HBO cop hour" and less "the entire California freeway system is Cthulhu's tentacles", going by what the s1 trailer showed us vs what it gave us, I think we're going to get something at the same level of quality. Unfortunately, it's not going to be vaguely supernatural Southern Gothic set in impoverished backwater Louisiana, which is what drew a lot of people to the show, and I think moving away from its established setting is going to turn a lot of people off (and going by the thread, already has).

The real mystery in Season 2 is where all the missing water in California has gone to.

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

Emma Watson is what runs trivia teams.

Drifter posted:

The real mystery in Season 2 is where all the missing water in California has gone to.

It's just a sequel to Chinatown

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
Me and the girlfriend binged through season 1 not too long ago and we were positively gushing about it to everyone we knew. At the end of the last page, someone was talking about how the show season is really about metaphysical and spiritual aspects being filtered through the grit of real life, and I'd agree wholeheartedly.

Speculation about something that Pizzolatto already dismissed: hearing about the "mystery of the transit system," man, I would have loved to see TD's take on the masonic order, the Bohemian Grove, and conspiracy nuts. It jives really well with the setup, too -- a cult who worships the Yellow King versus a mob as an arm of the freemasons. I could have seen it being right up his alley, honestly, evoking the same sense of dread and discovery throughout the season.

Still, I'm excited. As long as we get anything approaching the quality of the six-minute single take, this will have been worth it.

PrincessKate
Mar 16, 2004

Let's get it on, honey.

suztan posted:

Unfortunately, it's not going to be vaguely supernatural Southern Gothic set in impoverished backwater Louisiana, which is what drew a lot of people to the show, and I think moving away from its established setting is going to turn a lot of people off (and going by the thread, already has).

I just cannot believe out of the hundreds and hundreds of cities in the United States, L.A. is what they choose. I don't know, I'm still going to watch but I am definitely one of the people turned off by the setting. Anything set in NYC or L.A. just screams lazy and boring to me. Rural Louisiana was fascinating and the setting played a huge part in the overall atmosphere of the show. Not to totally hate on L.A. but I've seen it five hundred million times already in countless TV shows and movies.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

I think it would be infinitely more fascinating if it were set in the Inland Empire desert shitholes of Southern California. I've only heard terrible things about Rancho Cucamonga and Palm Springs from close relatives and the types of people that flock to the desert.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Vanderdeath posted:

I think it would be infinitely more fascinating if it were set in the Inland Empire desert shitholes of Southern California. I've only heard terrible things about Rancho Cucamonga and Palm Springs from close relatives and the types of people that flock to the desert.

I thought that was the setting, at least for some of it. I've never heard anything good about those dying desert towns either.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

PrincessKate posted:

I just cannot believe out of the hundreds and hundreds of cities in the United States, L.A. is what they choose. I don't know, I'm still going to watch but I am definitely one of the people turned off by the setting. Anything set in NYC or L.A. just screams lazy and boring to me. Rural Louisiana was fascinating and the setting played a huge part in the overall atmosphere of the show. Not to totally hate on L.A. but I've seen it five hundred million times already in countless TV shows and movies.

I agree with this 100%. Rural Louisiana was like a cast member for season 1.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
It's not in LA. They have said a hundred times that it is not in LA.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
True Detective - Season 3 - Terra Haute, Indiana

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
After seeing the second trailer all I can say is:

MY BODY IS READY

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Gonz posted:

True Detective - Season 3 - Pawnee, Indiana

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Gonz posted:

True Detective - Season 3 - Eerie, Indiana

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
Wow, one thing I like (loving hate) about reading SA threads about my favorite shows is that it feels like I'm reading comments about a completely different show. I think the people who like the ending of season 1 and didn't expect some stupid, out of left field, "cthulu" ending will like this next season. All the rest will post 3000 word essays about "occult" type poo poo and how the show always sucked, anyway.

D-Tron
Jul 3, 2007

1999 was a hard time
to be a scrub

Yam Slacker
Me and my girlfriend were actually just driving up the coast to SF from LA a couple weeks ago and she made a comment about how some area we were passing through would make a good setting for True Detective, without knowing the next season is going to be set there. I think those of you who are put off by the setting and are unfamiliar with the area might be pleasantly surprised since there are plenty of rural, beautiful, haunting, weird, etc. areas in that region of the country.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I literally just finished True Detective season 1, and I didn't see anything that would point to a Lovecraftian explanation for things. It was crazy cultists bein crazy. The mention of the King in Yellow is incidental to be honest, and probably just an homage.
PS Rust is a pretty unreliable narrator to be honest.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

It was just a theory that people latched onto and convinced themselves was true. Just like the daughters being involved with the rape group somehow or Rusts daughter really being alive.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yeah I thought the King in Yellow stuff was crazy cult poo poo to be honest anyway.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Solice Kirsk posted:

It was just a theory that people latched onto and convinced themselves was true. Just like the daughters being involved with the rape group somehow or Rusts daughter really being alive.

Oh god drat I remember that episode discussion.

:sigh:

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
There could be an awesome foot-chase scene in this second season judging by the trailer and Vince Vaughn does douchebag so well; this will be alright.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Drifter posted:

Oh god drat I remember that episode discussion.

:sigh:

That was nothing. Remember when someone noticed that a picture in Hart's bedroom was the same as a mural in a psych ward like 4 episodes later. Picture Discussion 2014 was the worst for me. Especially when a a goon set designer said that they reuse art and set pieces all the time and it could have just been something they bought from a prop place and that everyone was over thinking it. Nope, not good enough. 15 pages of insight about where the paintings were hung in the room and it was evidence that one of the daughters had spent a significant amount of time in the psych hospital.....because kids always draw the same exact thing only much larger when they're crazy.

Personally, I'm looking forward to the batshit insane theories that people are going to come up with this season more so than the show itself.

Solice Kirsk fucked around with this message at 14:31 on May 21, 2015

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Solice Kirsk posted:

That was nothing. Remember when someone noticed that a picture in Hart's bedroom was the same as a mural in a psych ward like 4 episodes later. Picture Discussion 2014 was the worst for me. Especially when a a goon set designer said that they reuse art and set pieces all the time and it could have just been something they bought from a prop place and that everyone was over thinking it. Nope, not good enough. 15 pages of insight about where the paintings were hung in the room and it was evidence that one of the daughters had spent a significant amount of time in the psych hospital.....because kids always draw the same exact thing only much larger when they're crazy.

Personally, I'm looking forward to the batshit insane theories that people are going to come up with this season more so than the show itself.

The one that got me was the guy who was convinced that Hart was part of some murder rape cult because his daughter was playing with barbies, and I guess Hart had bought his daughter the "cult gangrape barbie set" since that's what he did on his spare time.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Solice Kirsk posted:

I don't think anyone is saying there was an explicitly supernatural explanation for anything, just that the show had an underlying tone of cosmic horror that deliberately played with characters' perceptions of reality, which gave the show a really unique identity. I mean there were interviews with the creator where he talked about how he was inspired by Lovecraft, this is not something people made up in their heads.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I hate this loving show and it's all because of Something Awful Forums.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Solice Kirsk posted:

I think it's mostly down to a shallow interpretation of symbolism and set design. Like, okay. Marty Hart's last name means "deer." That's intentional. It never meant he was the killer or affiliated with them, but was maybe supposed to suggest a symbolic connection that wasn't literal. The same could be set for repeated imagery: it's not always literal, and in True Detective, pretty much never was.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Those pictures where everyone was circling the living room photographs to try and break some sort of secret code was hilarious and I wanted to die. Hahaha.

Frostwerks posted:

I hate this loving show and it's all because of Something Awful Forums.

Don't hate the players, hate the game.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
One thing I'm not seeing people talk about is that Season 2 will apparently be a completely linear story. For me that's a huge disappointment, I thought the best thing about Season 1 was how you kept getting little bits and pieces about what Cohle and Hart were up to in the present, and the anticipation of the story catching up to it. When Rust walks out of the police interview at the end of episode 4(I think), you get a major sense of "oh poo poo, anything can happen now!" because for the first half of the season the story was on the track that led to the interview. After the interview all bets were off, and the tension ratcheted up to another level.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006
Yeah, but then you realize Rust and Marty haven't actually been doing anything exciting since we last saw them.

I liked the show but it definitely made a big deal out of things only for them to amount to very little (the end of episode 3 being a good example).

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Pedro De Heredia posted:

Yeah, but then you realize Rust and Marty haven't actually been doing anything exciting since we last saw them.

I liked the show but it definitely made a big deal out of things only for them to amount to very little (the end of episode 3 being a good example).

Its not about what they've been doing since we last saw them, the interesting stuff is in finding out how they got to where they are. For instance you find out pretty much right away that their relationship soured at some point, and you slowly find out how that happened. In the flashbacks Rust is still a motivated, functional police detective. We get to find out how went from that to basically an obsessive hermit. We know from early on that Marty's marriage fell apart but not the circumstances. We know that they were involved in some major heroic act but it takes a while for the show to get there in detail. That dynamic was the engine of the show for the first four episodes.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006
Yeah, but that didn't happen very well. I don't remember if Rust quit or was fired, but he basically had a conversation with that minister guy, had some roadblocks here and there, and poof, he was gone.

Because of the format, a lot of the things that happened felt like they just did them because they 'had' to happen due to how the story started, it didn't build up to them very well.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Pedro De Heredia posted:

Yeah, but that didn't happen very well. I don't remember if Rust quit or was fired, but he basically had a conversation with that minister guy, had some roadblocks here and there, and poof, he was gone.

Because of the format, a lot of the things that happened felt like they just did them because they 'had' to happen due to how the story started, it didn't build up to them very well.

Agree to disagree I guess. Because of how messed up in the head Rust is I didn't see it coming that he would have sex with Marty's wife, and in general the gradual reveal of Marty's personality flaws was very compelling. The build-up to "the shootout" was amazing in my opinion. When Rust and Marty finally show up there the tension is just as unbearable as the finale in Carcosa.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
So which of the monologues were just totally stolen?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Jose posted:

So which of the monologues were just totally stolen?

I do remember in one of the later episodes Rust was talking about four balls on the edge of a cliff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
Cohle: Something is rotten in the state of Louisiana.

Hart: Heaven will direct it.

Cohle: Nay, let's follow him.

Cohle points at Cthulu

• Locked thread