Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

because they can

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
It's because Americans have shown that they want the cheapest ticket and don't really care about frills or customer service.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Shadow posted:

Because our stupid loving government won't make a national high speed rail system. If I could go from NYC to Chicago in 3.5 hours. Or to DC in 2. Or Boston in 1.5 I'd never fly domestic again.

.... no matter how hard they assrape you.

I haven't flown since the full body scanners started about 7 years ago, and that has meant some long-rear end road trips. Inconvenient as hell, but at least I am not giving money to assrapists. I wish everyone had my kind of integrity so the airlines would be forced to stop being so lovely, but people keep paying for the assrape.

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014
I dont get why dont they just fly around nonstop and whoever can be bothered to get on gets on any flight? Its not like a flight costs thousands of money cause pilots are volunteers, fuel is free and airports are public property, they should just fly empty if need be wtf lol

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Japan said they would build the rail from DC to Baltimore for free, too.

It's infuriating.

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

i know someone that travels for work constantly. 99% of his posts on facebook are complaining about how they hosed up his flight again. i bet people that have to do that have really high blood pressure. please be mindful of your health.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
^^ yeah there's that. I was stuck in Detroit's airport for 7.5 hours a few months back. That sucked.

GORDON posted:

.... no matter how hard they assrape you.

I haven't flown since the full body scanners started about 7 years ago, and that has meant some long-rear end road trips. Inconvenient as hell, but at least I am not giving money to assrapists. I wish everyone had my kind of integrity so the airlines would be forced to stop being so lovely, but people keep paying for the assrape.

The only solace is when you do business travel you eventually gain status. So security, upgrades (free alcohol, actual "meal") and getting on and off first make it bearable.

And I usually take 1-2 free vacations a year.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

how me a frog posted:

Lol and also dumb insurance comoanies have you pay them even though your house might not burn down. Someone else is having their house rebuilt from your monni!

-a literal semi literate retard that doesnt understand maybe a plane is a bit different than a bus
You already paid for the square footage you'd be taking up, it shouldn't matter to the airline whether you use it or not. It'd be one thing if they refunded the seat should someone else take it and didn't refund if no one else did, but when they both don't refund and sell your seat to someone else they're basically charging twice for a service they can only provide to one person, which should be illegal whether or not the no show wouldn't miss their seat anyways imo.

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

ArbitraryC posted:

You already paid for the square footage you'd be taking up, it shouldn't matter to the airline whether you use it or not. It'd be one thing if they refunded the seat should someone else take it and didn't refund if no one else did, but when they both don't refund and sell your seat to someone else they're basically charging twice for a service they can only provide to one person, which should be illegal whether or not the no show wouldn't miss their seat anyways imo.

Yes you are smart and not a dumb piece of assnougat at all. Airlines are doing great. Making loads of money. Since it is established that fuckwhits cant manage to be at a place at a time, they overbook. This is why airfare costs 50% less than it would otherwise. You are smart and have made me see light.

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014
I bet when you buy a video game you think you literally own one copy of game. Rofl

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

how me a frog posted:

I dont get why dont they just fly around nonstop and whoever can be bothered to get on gets on any flight? Its not like a flight costs thousands of money cause pilots are volunteers, fuel is free and airports are public property, they should just fly empty if need be wtf lol

nobody is saying this, you are v dumb

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

how me a frog posted:

I bet when you buy a video game you think you literally own one copy of game. Rofl

Well you own a license anyway :confused:

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"airlines shouldn't oversell flights"

YOU THINK AIRLINES SHOULD FLY EMPTY PLANES LOLOLOLO

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

more like how you an idiot

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

Shadow posted:

Well you own a license anyway :confused:

And when you buy a ticket you enter a contract that is clearly defined. You are not buying the inalienable right to be on that specific plane. Everyone with half a brain knows why this is so, and its not corps be money grubbin.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

how me a frog posted:

And when you buy a ticket you enter a contract that is clearly defined. You are not buying the inalienable right to be on that specific plane. Everyone with half a brain knows why this is so, and its not corps be money grubbin.

I dunno man. That's kind of what a reservation is. You booked passage on a vessel. I'd consider that a pretty good expectation of being granted a seat if you held up your end by paying.

That's why they give you upgrades and vouchers when they screw up. They know they broke their deal and pacify you with a first class seat.
E I believe they even call it Irregular Operations. You are then on the upgrade list above even Diamond (delta) passengers.

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014
Maybe dont book with ryan air. Oh wait that would cost more. Secrets revealed!? I am oh so keen on hearing how you would run a sustainable airline given you can only charge what your cheap rear end is willing to pay. I am extremely listening.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

how me a frog posted:

Maybe dont book with ryan air. Oh wait that would cost more. Secrets revealed!? I am oh so keen on hearing how you would run a sustainable airline given you can only charge what your cheap rear end is willing to pay. I am extremely listening.

Um.

Gotcha.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Ryoshi posted:

Do they think that airline seats are some magical mystical thing that come and go and can never be definitively counted?

Every other industry in the world, when they sell out of their product, stops selling that product (or putting it on order or whatever). but airlines? they're like "gently caress, we're out of seats. BETTER SELL FOUR MORE!"

gently caress airlines

i don't know about you op but even cheap airlines (except maybe ryanair) don't have that problem in europe

maybe you should move to a civilised continent

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

how me a frog posted:

i'd just charge extra to filter your posts

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

blowfish posted:

i don't know about you op but even cheap airlines (except maybe ryanair) don't have that problem in europe

maybe you should move to a civilised continent

How is security for European flights not going to US? Edit: I've only flown back to the states so my experience is with customs and other nonsense.

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

i'd just charge extra to filter your posts

You dont even need plat for dat you dumb.

Coolie Ghost
Jan 16, 2013

sensible dissent dispenser

gggiiimmmppp posted:

i had an hour layover a couple of weeks ago in an airport that had no bar beyond security

it was hell

put everclear in your allotted 3.4 oz carryon you dip s hit

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
Also an hour layover isn't so bad. They start boarding 40 minutes before so you're really only dealing with 20 minutes.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Shadow posted:

How is security for European flights not going to US? Edit: I've only flown back to the states so my experience is with customs and other nonsense.

* buying a priority lane ticket is totally worth it because you will wait in the queue for 45 minutes otherwise

* in the UK you will probably get a pat down if there were any muslim related page 1 news items in the last three weeks before your flight (they'll set the metal detector to a retardedly high setting that goes off because of the zipper on your pants), other places probably don't give a gently caress

* there is lots of things that you are not supposed to have in your hand luggage which they will miss even if you end up being randomly picked for a more detailed hand luggage check (e.g. liquids you forgot to put in the separate bag, flammable liquids, knives)

* your security guy may actually be nice and not a goon occasionally

so all in all a retarded security theatre that does not work

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
Sounds familiar! They employ people for more than minimum wage or is it the same brain dead knobs in TSA?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Shadow posted:

Sounds familiar! They employ people for more than minimum wage or is it the same brain dead knobs in TSA?

Not sure about the pay, but expect varying grades of incompetence and inconsistent reading of the rules depending on the country, the mood of the security guy, and the phase of the moon. For instance, you can usually bring tripods in your hand luggage because they are photographic equipment but sometimes not because they could crack someone's skull in one good hit :v:

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

also fly easyjet because they will round down your suitcase's weight from 20.4kg to 20kg and don't put your hand luggage in the hold as long as it's a backpack even if it's blatantly oversized (god help you if it's an even slightly oversized trolley though)

don't fly lufthansa or any other flag carrier because a free sandwich isn't worth €300 (swissair chocolates are nice though) and don't fly ryanair with anything more than a tiny bag because they will charge you extra for anything and everything

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Basic economics suggests that if airlines figuratively assrape their customers, and they are still filling planes with paying customers, then the assrape must be working and the customers must like it.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

GORDON posted:

Basic economics suggests that if airlines figuratively assrape their customers, and they are still filling planes with paying customers, then the assrape must be working and the customers must like it.

Pretty much this. People always complain, but then jump all over the $10-cheaper seat that has no legroom and inflight service that consists of convicts being paid $0.10/hour to scream at you constantly.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

PT6A posted:

Pretty much this. People always complain, but then jump all over the $10-cheaper seat that has no legroom and inflight service that consists of convicts being paid $0.10/hour to scream at you constantly.

if it's just for an hour it's ok because at that point it's a flying bus (an air bus so to speak :haw:)

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

and like a bus they yearn for the ground

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

and like a bus they yearn for the ground

sadbrains sadplanes

adamarama
Mar 20, 2009

blowfish posted:

Don't fly ryanair with anything more than a tiny bag because they will charge you extra for anything and everything
Ryanair have gotten much better recently. You actually get an assigned seat now! I think they pushed customers too far and are now trying to win them over. I no longer actively avoid them.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

adamarama posted:

Ryanair have gotten much better recently. You actually get an assigned seat now! I think they pushed customers too far and are now trying to win them over. I no longer actively avoid them.

Ok, maybe I'll give them another try. Not going to put my expensive camera in the giant backpack though in case it gets put into the hold under three tons of suitcases.

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

adamarama posted:

Did they ever put their "charging for using the toilet" scheme into practice?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

i'm more interested in their babes&blowjobs first class plans~

adamarama
Mar 20, 2009

how me a frog posted:

Did they ever put their "charging for using the toilet" scheme into practice?
Nah, that was just O'Leary grabbing headline space. He's a champion windup merchant. He's currently rabbiting on about 100e transatlantic flights. It might be possible in a few years. I think wowair fly transatlantic for 150e if you don't mind a layover in Iceland.

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

adamarama posted:

Nah, that was just O'Leary grabbing headline space. He's a champion windup merchant. He's currently rabbiting on about 100e transatlantic flights. It might be possible in a few years. I think wowair fly transatlantic for 150e if you don't mind a layover in Iceland.

Really my biggest complaint about ryan air is that people clap when the plane lands. I mean are you loving serious?

I realize that is an indirect result of it being a garbage airline that attracts garbage people, but still...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

ArbitraryC posted:

everyone bitches and moans but the fact is airline travel is cheap as poo poo compared to before. a bloo bloo bloo my seat is so tiny *is flying across the country in one of the safest forms of transportation known to man for 200 bucks*

• Locked thread