Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Replay of the turn:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5l9IFW525o
Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wo2mo9sV8Z0

A fairly quiet turn, as we didn't really be too aggressive. I opted to use most of my original plan, save for The Sandman's suggestion of taking Piatgorsk.

First, the situation in the south:

That 400 pwr Red stack has been moving into the Ekaterinodar province - my guess is that next turn it will jump straight into the structure - but the other surprise is that Novorossiysk is unoccupied except by a boat squadron - with a quick cavarly raid, I might be able to capture the boats intact. Unfortunately, the 1st division (the 60 pwr stack) needs to retreat to Azov this turn or else it will run out of supply. No point in taking needless hits. I also saw Sorokin's army moving south toward Stavropol (during the replay), so my guess is that Sorokin is trying to jump onto the Stavropol structure to recover hits.

At Bataisk (the little town east of Azov), the White Wolves begin organizing. Led by a stunningly good cavalryman, the 5-4-2 Shkuro, I intend to build this cavarly force up to a force to be reckoned with by itself.

The situation in the Southeast remains stable - Kutepov's army is exhausted from marching, but still outpowers the garrison at Vladikavkaz, enough to keep it safely under siege. Piatgorsk is seized using the now-former garrison of Grozny - now we just have to establish MC along the railroad.

The scouting mission at Tsaritsyn reveals that the garrison is fairly strong - 640 pwr which is definitely a match for our biggest army. Secondly, the Reds have taken the 'Verdun' decision - meaning that Tsaritsyn will get a fortified garrison that will make it very costly to take by storm and very long to take by siege. Ever we watch with interest. The scouting mission will also need to run back to Azov to get supply this turn. The situation at Mikhailovka remains the same - except the Red blocking force has disappeared, which makes me wonder what the AI might have in mind.

The S-R leftists have risen in revolt against their former allies - at exactly the wrong moment. In game terms, this creates a few Siberian White units that will be quickly mopped up by the Reds - in places like Moscow and Murom, unlocking powerful Red commanders like Trotsky and Frunze. Additionally, events will come to a head in a few turns and give the Reds access to a few new tools in their war against autocracy us.

The Siberian Whites also do their Verdun decision (we have one ourselves), which I believe fortifies Omsk heavily. The Reds mobilize their forces (gives them more manpower and replacements for their units), and construct two new factories to give themselves more war supply. The Red menances main problem isn't that its short on manpower - its biggest problem right now is that its short on cash.

In the far north, at a tiny Allied-occupied naval coaling station called Murmansk, a White general takes charge. Miller, a three star 4-1-1 general begins to build an army to invade Northern Russia with.

It's not exactly what I'd call impressive right now:

Miller himself has currently has no Russian infantry under his command - instead, he has a British expeditionary force, an incredibly weak unit of US Marines, and a locked force of French garrison. In addition, we also have the powerful Allied naval fleet in addition to Imperial Russian cruisers that were stationed in Murmansk prior to the revolution - as strong as they may be, they're not particularly useful as the White Sea isn't exactly the most heavily defended place in Russia. I combine the British Forces into one corp and order them south:

Karelia is on the backburner for the Reds - Green forces have occupied some towns along the railroad. Their loss is our gain. Poole is an over-cautious (meaning he moves slowly and suffers command penalties) commander, but as we build up our Northern White Forces, he can lead the way. It'll take him more than one turn to reach Segezha.

We're somewhat flush with manpower and money this turn, so I start to build some new units and order some new conscripts:

Most of this new miltia will eventually serve as garrison but we sink most of our manpower into replacements though - most of it is in Southern White troops, but some is allocated to the Cossacks. We also put in for a replacement company for the American marines - we're going to need them later.

Finally, in the only region whose capital we control (Terek, whose capital is Grozny) we take the Propaganda decision which raises loyalty - right now, very few people in this region support us, which means they either support the Reds or the Greens, both of which are bad. If I plan to take everything that isn't nailed down appropriate reasonable taxes and kidnap every available man for the army recruit willing and brave soldiers, than I need to improve the loyalty of the region.

I should state that while we only get access to Propganda, conscription, and requisition decisions (which raise loyalty, manpower, and money respectively), the Reds get access to those and a few other decisions as well - right now they're using the Subervision decision on Terek which raises Red loyalty and Red partisans. We'll see more later.

Moves

Denikin is ordered to march on Ekaterinodar. I don't think he'll beat that army before they reach the structure - but he can set the groundwork for the siege. Mamontov is ordered to make an assault on Kalnin - I can't have his army, depleted as it may be, threatening my rear. Poliakov and his force are ordered across the river to the south to begin establishing MC. Finally, Erdeli and the 1st Cavalry Division are detached from Denikin's army and ordered to scout Stavropol - if Sorokin is hiding there, we'll know. Finally, the 1st Division is ordered to return to Azov post-haste to restablish supply.

This is also the only significant moves for this turn - our scouting mission near Tsaritsyn will run south to Azov, while Poole will begin the long march to Karelia. In the Grozny sector, all units will remain in their current positions.

A Festivus Miracle fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Apr 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
If anybody wants Rise of Prussia Gold, I still have the loyalty discount so I can get it for five bucks instead of 20

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

VendoViper posted:

Reading this LP got me to boot up PoN, then promptly uninstall it again, what a clusterfuck. I did throw down :20bux: on Rise of Prussia Gold, and I have been really enjoying learning how to play. I was looking for RUS, but its not on steam :smith:, I don't think I can bring myself to pay Matrix or Slitherine directly ever again. I realize it just went off sale, but how is Civil War II?

I actually sort of liked PoN :downs:

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
There is nothing the Whites themselves could have done differently that would have led to them winning the war. It would have taken some truly massive fuckups on the Red side, or an utterly gigantic and fully-committed Allied invasion, for them to even have a realistic chance. It says a lot about how utterly hosed the Whites were when you consider that the Reds spent a lot of time, resources, and lives effectively fighting themselves, either betrayed or were betrayed by basically every single one of their allies, alienated every left-wing faction in Russia except the Bolsheviks (including the people largely responsible for organizing the initial uprisings in the first place), and still ended up winning despite doing everything they could to sabotage themselves. They were just that dominant.

Fortunately, this game doesn't have to be historical, so things can play out a bit differently.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

VendoViper posted:

I realize it just went off sale, but how is Civil War II?

It's fun if you're interested in the setting, like all AGEOD games. Not different enough from the first ACW game to justify full price if you already own that one.

I was really hoping for a more robust (or any, really l) domestic politics system in the second one, and a more detailed seniority and political leanings system for generals.

E: And a more historical brigade system. Those infantry brigades with attached cavalry and infantry were pretty silly. :sperg:

dublish fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Apr 17, 2015

VendoViper
Feb 8, 2011

Can't touch this.

steinrokkan posted:

I actually sort of liked PoN :downs:

Share with me your secrets! I really do want to like PoN, I have an ungodly number of hours sunk into Vicky 2, and am completely in love with the period. Every time I try to crack the surface of PoN I just get discouraged and start a new game of Imperialism.

dublish posted:

It's fun if you're interested in the setting, like all AGEOD games. Not different enough from the first ACW game to justify full price if you already own that one.

I don't, the only game I owned was PoN, but the last time I tried to play it it was still in a 100% CTD on launch kind of mood, so I never really gave it a chance.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

VendoViper posted:

Share with me your secrets! I really do want to like PoN, I have an ungodly number of hours sunk into Vicky 2, and am completely in love with the period. Every time I try to crack the surface of PoN I just get discouraged and start a new game of Imperialism.

I don't really know what problems people have with the PoN. I guess its a much more historically constrained game, which may be off-putting (I tend to modify the game files so the minor nations can colonize to make it more variable) compared to the free-for-all of Vicky, but I find the economic system of PoN to be superior to Vicky which always shits its pants due to the effective hard cap on raw resource extraction. I mean the PoN is a badly programmed game with no polish, but I feel it's less of a misguided clusterfuck than Vicky. Imperialism is a category of its own, on account of not being rooted in history at all, though it basically has the same economic system as PoN in many ways, which makes it preferable to Vicky.

Also the military system of Vicky is just so terrible it baffling, but that's something all Paradox games share, and I suppose some people like it.

VendoViper
Feb 8, 2011

Can't touch this.

steinrokkan posted:

Also the military system of Vicky is just so terrible it baffling, but that's something all Paradox games share, and I suppose some people like it.

The thing is, I am super familiar with it, and feel like I know what I am doing. I have a feeling after I complete a few scenarios of RoP and actually have a handle on how combat and unit organization actually works in AGEOD games I might be able to start approaching the economics of PoN. This LP has been super helpful in kickstarting the whole thing. Thanks A White Guy.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

VendoViper posted:

The thing is, I am super familiar with it, and feel like I know what I am doing. I have a feeling after I complete a few scenarios of RoP and actually have a handle on how combat and unit organization actually works in AGEOD games I might be able to start approaching the economics of PoN. This LP has been super helpful in kickstarting the whole thing. Thanks A White Guy.

Actually I think you need to get a handle on the economic system before you start paying attention to the army - due to the limited (on default setting non-existent) ability to grab land in Europe you don't really have to worry about having all that superior defences, but you need large industrial output to be competitive in the colonial game.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

steinrokkan posted:

Actually I think you need to get a handle on the economic system before you start paying attention to the army - due to the limited (on default setting non-existent) ability to grab land in Europe you don't really have to worry about having all that superior defences, but you need large industrial output to be competitive in the colonial game.

^^^^. PoN's economic system is really difficult to get a handle on at first, whereas the army system is actually kind of intuitive.

steinrokkan posted:

I don't really know what problems people have with the PoN. I guess its a much more historically constrained game, which may be off-putting (I tend to modify the game files so the minor nations can colonize to make it more variable) compared to the free-for-all of Vicky, but I find the economic system of PoN to be superior to Vicky which always shits its pants due to the effective hard cap on raw resource extraction. I mean the PoN is a badly programmed game with no polish, but I feel it's less of a misguided clusterfuck than Vicky. Imperialism is a category of its own, on account of not being rooted in history at all, though it basically has the same economic system as PoN in many ways, which makes it preferable to Vicky.

I'd have to say that I actually liked Vicky's economic system - while its extremely easy to cap it out and do wonky things to it, it was still fun to play with. Though, if China ever modernized in the earlier versions, look the gently caress out. I had a US game before Heart of Darkness wherein half my population turned into Chinese because China managed to modernize.

And yeah, the military system is frustratingly awful. I usually stop games after about 1910 because wars cease to be fun.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
We should do whatever our illustrious commander believes is best. :mil101:

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

Mycroft Holmes posted:

We should do whatever our illustrious commander believes is best. :mil101:

Next turn, I'll give you guys a vote. The Red AI did something I honestly did not expect them to do. This game has been very different from the normal, because I upped the Red AI's detection bonus. My guess is that because the Red AI can see a lot more its more willing to be aggressive.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

A White Guy posted:

Next turn, I'll give you guys a vote. The Red AI did something I honestly did not expect them to do. This game has been very different from the normal, because I upped the Red AI's detection bonus. My guess is that because the Red AI can see a lot more its more willing to be aggressive.

An aggressive AI is not necessarily a better AI. In the ACW games, increasing the detection bonus usually encouraged the Confederate armies to cross the Appalachians and attack Pittsburgh, then get stuck there out of supply.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

Music:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLg83QMmlGs
Replay:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rt9q0DlkyQA

A surprising turn. First, the big news:

The Imperial Family meets their historical fate. As far as I know, this is completely unavoidable. Regardless, the last vestiges of the monarchy have been extinguished - there is no king now to restore to his cushioned chair.

This, however, has zero impact on the military situation in Russia. In addition to slaughtering the Imperials, the Reds restore part of Czarist Air Force - this gives them a few airfield units in Moscow, St.Petersburg, and Tsaritsyn, which a minor but helpful addition to their forces.

The other news this turn:

The 4-2-1 Zveginstev raises an army in Murmansk. Zveginstev unfortunately has the training officer trait, which makes him far too valuable an assesst for divisional command. I instead place Marushevsky in charge of his men and combine it with the artillery and engineers of Miller's stack, who I then order to march south:

Miller and his army will arrive roughly a turn after Poole's corp that I sent marching last turn.

Far, far away from the cold god-forsaken North, our force remain on the move:

No combat this turn, because the Reds pulled off some surprising moves. Sorokin, like I predicted, has run for Stavropol, but the Red Miltia stack actually heads south of Ekaterinodar to the railroad province. The Replay also reveals that Kalnin narrowly avoids Mamontov's forces in Day 11, sprinting into the marshes. My guess is that his force is severely weakened. Secondly, some wagons have shown up out of nowhere. But the real surprise, the one that genuinely made me go :wow: was this:

The Red AI, that clever SOB. Using the garrison of Astrakhan, he's managed to seize an undefended Grozny while I wasn't paying attention. While Kutepov isn't necessarily hurting for supply, this will cause our Propganda mission that I set last turn to be unable to finish - you have to control the capital province the entire turn.

Because we still don't have any real engagement points, and I spent everything I had last turn on more conscripts, moves:

I order the White Wolves from Bataisk to sprint across the dry steppe to the Volga, to discover what the state of the current garrison is. If it's undefended or lightly defended, my cavarly which is currently resupplying in Azov can make a lightning strike on this place and secure it.

In the South, we have a variety of choices:

I could order Kutepov to make a desperation attack on Grozny, but his forces are still very worn out from their march into the hills. Instead, I could also order them to remain in siege or finally, take Vladikavkaz. I leave that up to you.

In the Kuban, the situation is complicated - I should preface this by saying that no force can reach Stavropol in a turn, but setting up for an attack on that depot town is similarly important. Additionally, we must take Ekaterinodar ASAP, so all options will include an attack on Ekaterinodar:

Option A.The Tom Hardy

Denikin will attack across the Kuban and attempt to destroy the Miltia army. Mamontov will take Ekaterinodar, while Poliokov will take Armavir. Finally, Erdeli will take the wagons. I can tell you from experience that attacking across a river is a bad idea - this may result in our first major defeat.

Option B.The Guard Play

Denikin will assault Armavir, while the Cossacks will take and form a blocking force in Ekaterinodar. Simultaneously, Erdeli will start establishing MC along the road to Grozny. This in turn, will set us up for an assault on Stavropol in the next turn.

Option C.The Reverse Guard Play

The Cossacks will assault down the railroad toward Piatgorsk, while Denikin will take Ekaterinodar himself. The advantage here is that the Cossacks can clean up Grozny next turn, the obvious disadvantage being that Denikin will have to do a lot more by himself.

Option D. The Sun Tzu

Following the advice of a dead Chinese guy, our forces will concentrate themselves in Ekaterinodar to take on the Miltia army the next turn. While we let Sorokin off the leash, we keep ourselves safe.

Option E. The Comedy option

A goon posts something nutty/a good idea and we go with that.

Samolety
Jan 27, 2008

I have returned from negotiations with Comrade Ignatov and have found him to be quite agreeable.
I believe it is peace in our time.
This is really cool! Excellent job so far, I'm looking forward to reading more. I've played some of Ageod's ACW which I thought was pretty fun, but you're teaching me a lot that I didn't know about the system. I might have to give it another try sometime, not to mention that I might end up having to buy this one! How does their World War I game stack up? If I can handle ACW reasonably well will I be able to comprehend it?

Anyway, as far as the matter at hand, I'm going to vote for Option C.

Edit: Also, why the hell not? One of my favourite songs from the period. Will we be getting control of the чёрный барон in 1920?

Samolety fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Apr 21, 2015

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
If there's one thing I like about AGEOD is that whether you're fighting the Bolsheviks or crossing the Rubicon, half the counters in your army are wagons with horses.

HereticKannon
Jun 3, 2012
I am really enjoying the LP so far, I actually tried RoP a while back but just could not get past the UI. Everything else about the game was great, as far as I remember. I felt like I learned quite a bit about the period just from the events.

As far as voting for the plan of action, I am torn between options B and C. I feel like B would put us in a stronger position for next turn, but given that Denikin's force is stronger than the rest of our local forces combined, it makes sense to split the Cossacks off with Erdeli as a group to handle Stavropol and/or Grozny as the situation demands. Also, I don't want to give that nearby militia army a chance to slip into Ekaterinodar before the Cossacks can take over the siege from Denikin. Therefore, I vote for Option C.

It should be said that I have no idea what I am doing. Giving me a vote is a terrible idea, which means I will of course be voting as often as I can.

HereticKannon fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Apr 21, 2015

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

HereticKannon posted:

I am really enjoying the LP so far, I actually tried RoP a while back but just could not get past the UI. Everything else about the game was great, as far as I remember. I felt like I learned quite a bit about the period just from the events.

As far as voting for the plan of action, I am torn between options B and C. I feel like B would put us in a stronger position for next turn, but given that Denikin's force is stronger than the rest of our local forces combined, it makes sense to split the Cossacks off with Erdeli as a group to handle Stavropol and/or Grozny as the situation demands. Also, I don't want to give that nearby militia army a chance to slip into Ekaterinodar before the Cossacks can take over the siege from Denikin. Therefore, I vote for Option C.

It should be said that I have no idea what I am doing. Giving me a vote is a terrible idea, which means I will of course be voting as often as I can.

So as to influence your decision: Ekaterinodar is already under siege. Unless the Red AI has achieved prescience, it won't know that I'm planning to not attack it next turn, so it probably won't try to move into the hex and move into the structure. Unless it's reading my LPs :tinfoil:

A fun side note:

Here are the two seaplane tenders stationed at Murmansk, the HMS Nairana , and the HMS Pegasus

They have the spotter trait, which makes them reaaaaally good at detecting enemy naval units in hex with them. They're also utterly useless in combat - they're actually worse than destroyers. Not that I'm complaining though - I've literally only ever seen 1 large naval battle in RUS, and that was between a revitalized German High Seas fleet and the Red Baltic fleet Germans won convincingly. 13 NM gained off on naval battle :stare: . Naval battle is a whole other can of worms, but essentially, unlike land combat, you either totally win or totally lose - very little in between. On the seas, we have an overpowering fleet, but on the rivers of Russia, the Reds are strong (even with their own naval leaders!) - especially on the Volga, which goes right through Russia. I intend to build up the Naval fleet as soon as we can - you can wreak a lot of havoc if you're willing to be especially ballsy.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Option B.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
A White Guy, you might want to consider downloading paint.net. Its line tool has an option for adding arrowheads and stuff, so it would make the maps much more legible.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Keep the siege in the Caucasus, execute plan C in the Kuban region.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
How scripted are the events that happend during the game?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Are you playing with randomized leaders or are those all their historical stats?

EDIT: "A White Guy" playing Pride of Nations would be the D&D-est thing ever.

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Apr 21, 2015

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Option C. Keep Vladikavkaz under siege until the Cossacks can get to the area. The big Red militia force will have trouble supplying itself soon.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
Option Steak Sauce (aka A-1).

Everything as in Plan A, except have Denikin march around the Reds by way of the marshes and take Novorossiysk.

And take Vladikavkaz. No point in risking the possibility of the Reds in Grozny moving south and turning a siege into Chechen Alesia.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

pthighs posted:

How scripted are the events that happend during the game?

Most historical events are scripted, but some events like some reinforcements events are chance-based depending on what the factions do. All AI movement is unscripted - everything the AI is doing is what it thinks is the best move with the information it has.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Are you playing with randomized leaders or are those all their historical stats?

Historical - most Red leaders are awful and most White Leaders are stunningly good to decent.

Tevery Best posted:

A White Guy, you might want to consider downloading paint.net. Its line tool has an option for adding arrowheads and stuff, so it would make the maps much more legible.

:eng101: Good suggestion, my arrows look like crap.

The Sandman posted:

Option Steak Sauce (aka A-1).

Everything as in Plan A, except have Denikin march around the Reds by way of the marshes and take Novorossiysk.

Denikin's army is restricted to rail provinces because part of his army consists of Armored Trains.

A Festivus Miracle fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Apr 21, 2015

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis

corn in the bible posted:

If anybody wants Rise of Prussia Gold, I still have the loyalty discount so I can get it for five bucks instead of 20

I will definitely take you up on this if you wouldn't mind shooting me an email at

evan.bale@gmail.com

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
BTW, if anybody is interested in AGEOD games, their latest offering, To End All Wars, is probably their best game.

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!
This LP has me seriously looking at getting RUS, but I've never played an AGEOD game before. Should I try to convince a friend of mine to get it as well so we can learn it at the same time?

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
Option D If we can trap the militia forces in the south-West and they can't slip out via the sea then we should do our best to take them out now. Destroying entire chits is a big hit in this type of game and its the single largest force south of Tsaritsyn, so if we decisively beat it we get free reign over the area.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

Friar John posted:

This LP has me seriously looking at getting RUS, but I've never played an AGEOD game before. Should I try to convince a friend of mine to get it as well so we can learn it at the same time?

How about this: Read a much better LP than mine which goes through all the concepts of the AGEOD system in detail - it's Rise of Prussia though, but most of the concepts still apply to RUS.

Than, read another Better LP than mine . Bornego really covers all the fantastic aspect of the RUS in his short and informative campaign with the Siberian Whites. He's playing the Short Campaign, which has bigger troop numbers, but the concepts are still the same.

Than, once you've read those, buy RUS - this game has a lot of replayability because of all the whacky things you can do.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

A White Guy posted:

Than, once you've read those, buy RUS - this game has a lot of replayability because of all the whacky things you can do.

One of these days, I'm going to play the Drang Nach Osten scenario.

LordGugs
Oct 16, 2012
So are the greens an independent faction or are they controlled by the Soviets? I'm kinda having a hard time wrapping my head around the factions and sub factions of the game.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

LordGugs posted:

So are the greens an independent faction or are they controlled by the Soviets? I'm kinda having a hard time wrapping my head around the factions and sub factions of the game.

The Greens are an indepedent faction (they have their own crappy AI),but don't have an aim. They are not so much a faction as a representation of the dissatisfaction that the civilian population has with all the factions (because, all factions represent a tyrannical government of some form or another), and that dissatisfaction sometimes results in armed violence - hence the Greens. Whenever Green loyalty gets high enough in a region (for example, any region where any faction has been doing a lot of outright thievery requisition of useful war material or running off with every single capable young man Recruitment of willing volunteers ), a Green revolt will spring up and attempt to liberate the capital of the Province/ any towns that are in the region.

I guess the best way to sum them up is the phrase 'rebels without a cause'.

Some revolts are historically scripted, but most are spontaneous - I'll doubtlessly cause Green loyalty to rise to a boiling point in one of my own regions through my own negligence, and we'll probably end up fighting some Greens are at one point or another. Aside from a few historically scripted leaders, the Greens don't have any leaders, and provided they don't take any depots, don't have any supply, meaning that its easy to take care of them, and often a good source of cheap, reliable manpower willing soldiers.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
There's also an AGEOD Spanish Civil War game which is pretty good, provided you can find the patches for it (it's impossible to build reinforcement counters as a human in the unpatched game, only the AI can do it, which means you quickly get overwhelmed). They made some decisions I don't like, though - Buenaventura Durruti's death is scripted, for example, and will always happen at the same time he died in real life no matter where he is or how the war is going (in real life, he was killed while attempting to relieve the defenders of Madrid University Hospital during the siege there, but in game, he can keel over dead for no reason even if he's chilling in Barcelona hundreds of miles away from the fighting). There's also a few little minor goofs here and there - the Stalin Column of militia raised by the Spanish Communist Party is incorrectly classified as an anarchist column rather than a communist one, and stuff like that.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

A White Guy posted:

Option E. The Comedy option
Denikin's actual historical plan - "Advance Towards Moscow". I think that should work at least as well for us as it did for him.

Samolety posted:

Will we be getting control of the чёрный барон in 1920?
IIRC, he should be one of our subordinates right now?

In other news, for the person who advocated we move to eliminate Stalin - quite the contrary. We should follow the advice of Alexander the Great, and cherish the fate that had granted us such enemies. If there are people we should try to take out, it's the rare competent Red commander - Frunze, Tukhachevsky, the Jewish Spider Bronshtein, Chapaev (can we drown him in a river? Because that would be appropriate) and the like.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Mister Bates posted:

There is nothing the Whites themselves could have done differently that would have led to them winning the war. It would have taken some truly massive fuckups on the Red side, or an utterly gigantic and fully-committed Allied invasion, for them to even have a realistic chance.

I know this is a while back, but does "Lenin gets shot dead right after Brest-Litovsk and the Germans send a gently caress-ton of troops" work? It's always what I've imagined with Kaiserreich. On a similar point, did we see this happen?

E. Mawdsley's "The Russian Civil War" posted:

Mikhail Muravyov had been made Main Commander-in-Chief of the newly created Red Eastern Army Group. His qualities were unique: a lieutenant colonel and a militant Left SR. He was a charismatic leader, the Reds’ best commander, the man who defeated Krasnov’s cossacks before Petrograd and crushed the Ukrainian Rada. His first steps in the east were eminently sensible. At Kazan, his headquarters, he set up a regular army-group (front) administration, and from troops scattered from Ekaterinburg to Saratov he assembled the first four Soviet armies. To put an end to panic he ordered his men to leave their trains and fight on foot.

Muravyov kept Lenin's confidence, even after the Left SR uprising in Moscow (6 Ju ly); he immediately quit the Left SRs, and Lenin merely ordered that the commissars keep him under close watch : ‘I am sure that if these conditions are observed it will be possible fully to make use of his excellent fighting qualities.’

Three days later Muravyov rose in revolt. On 10 July he and 1000 men sailed down the Volga from Kazan to Simbirsk. He now styled himself the ‘Garibaldi of the Russian people,’ and like the great Italian nationalist he hoped that his expedition would change history. His cause was renewed war with Germany, ‘the vanguard of world imperialism ’; to this end Muravyov ordered fighting against the Czechoslovaks to cease and the Corps itself to turn west and join the common fight.

On the night of 10 July Communist rule on the Volga, and perhaps ultimately in all of Russia, hung by a thread. Had Muravyov kept control he would have taken with him the largest military force that the Bolsheviks had been able to assemble. The vital grain region of the Volga would have been lost to Moscow as well. The Germans might have been encouraged to act on the Soviet western front.

Also, Option C and a tune so good the Red Army had to keep it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEmPaTc589M

Kavak fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Apr 22, 2015

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Kavak posted:

I know this is a while back, but does "Lenin gets shot dead right after Brest-Litovsk and the Germans send a gently caress-ton of troops" work? It's always what I've imagined with Kaiserreich. On a similar point, did we see this happen?

This implies that the Germans weren't just as interested as the Bolsheviks were in quitting the war. They still had the whole western front to deal with, and therefore had no interest in restarting the fight in the east just after they got what they wanted from Brest-Litovsk.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Cerebral Bore posted:

This implies that the Germans weren't just as interested as the Bolsheviks were in quitting the war. They still had the whole western front to deal with, and therefore had no interest in restarting the fight in the east just after they got what they wanted from Brest-Litovsk.

Kaiserreich is an alternate history scenario where the Central Powers won WWI. With the Western Front settled, the Germans decide to stabilize the eastern borders of their new empire. This would also happen in 1919 or 1920, after things were well settled in the west.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Kavak posted:

Kaiserreich is an alternate history scenario where the Central Powers won WWI. With the Western Front settled, the Germans decide to stabilize the eastern borders of their new empire. This would also happen in 1919 or 1920, after things were well settled in the west.

Yeah, but that also runs into the problem that the Germans weren't winning the western front in any reasonable scenario. If you want to go all counterfactual like Kaiserreich you could handwave it all away, but if we want to keep our speculation grounded in some realism, Germany was already doomed when Brest-Litovsk rolled around.

• Locked thread