Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.
On this day 150 years ago the traitor General Lee surrendered to brave Union leaders, signalling the end of the War of Southern Rebellion (though the Confederate government took another month to dissolve).

It's a pivotal event in US history yet, strangely, goes unremarked for the most part.

But let us give a knowing nod to this day in which our hatreds were healed and we finally came together as a nation. One nation. Under God.

quote:

In the beauty of the lilies
Christ was born across the sea,
With a glory in his bosom
that transfigures you and me,
As He died to make men holy
let us live to make men free,
His truth is marching on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
The war isn't over, it's only halftime

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

what hatreds healed? the south was foolishly let out underneath the boot of the radical republican agenda too soon. another few decades of union rule would have done the entire region a lot of good in the long run

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Sherman should have finished the job. A Final Solution for the white supremacist problem, if you will.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

TEAYCHES posted:

what hatreds healed? the south was foolishly let out underneath the boot of the radical republican agenda too soon. another few decades of union rule would have done the entire region a lot of good in the long run

Slavery was ended! Freedom reigned supreme.

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot
Now the "help" can vote and the country's swirling down the tubes cause they all want free stuff courtesy of the Communist-In-Chief. :ughh:

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

orly
Oct 2, 2005

Typical Pubbie posted:

Sherman should have finished the job. A Final Solution for the white supremacist problem, if you will.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
jastiger did nothing wrong :twisted:

Typical Pubbie posted:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Sherman did his job.

If Lincoln could have finished his job, oh, what could have been.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

redshirt posted:

Sherman did his job.

If Lincoln could have finished his job, oh, what could have been.

Lincoln was in favor of using a soft touch with the South, as much if not more than Johnson, there would have been little difference

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

Lincoln was in favor of using a soft touch with the South, as much if not more than Johnson, there would have been little difference

Johnson was corrupt and incompetent. Lincoln was neither. It would have been a very different Reconstruction.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

TEAYCHES posted:

goddam a TEAYCHES post I can unironically and totally agree with :eyepop:

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
slaw dog

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 253 days!)

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

goddam a TEAYCHES post I can unironically and totally agree with :eyepop:

He just said that to bait you fwiw he believes Lincoln is a democrat since they kind of hinted that he would be considered one nowadays on one of their babbys-first-commercial-grassroots-project recruitment ads

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
They turned Lee's house and land into a cemetary.

:cripes:

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

redshirt posted:

Johnson was corrupt and incompetent. Lincoln was neither. It would have been a very different Reconstruction.

corruption is a label earned in hindsight

corruption was also a problem during the Civil War, I was just researching a Union general the other day who got in trouble for profiteering while being military governor of New Orleans; Lincoln doesn't get the label because the achievement of winning the war, combined with his assassination, make his reputation untouchable

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

corruption is a label earned in hindsight

corruption was also a problem during the Civil War, I was just researching a Union general the other day who got in trouble for profiteering while being military governor of New Orleans; Lincoln doesn't get the label because the achievement of winning the war, combined with his assassination, make his reputation untouchable

Give me a morsel of Lincoln's corruption, specifically towards Southern interests, if you would.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Luvcow posted:

They turned Lee's house and land into a cemetary.

:cripes:

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

That's the one

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Luvcow posted:

That's the one

Let's let bygones be bygones.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Yeah.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

WOW!

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

lol the file name

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I like this new Q2 energy!

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

lol the file name

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Everything fucks.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

FYI: You suck, the "South".

Chonchon
Dec 16, 2013

I for one, am ready to fight and die in the Second American Civil War

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
the south wanted slavery so bad they betrayed and attacked their fellow countryman, and then they lost, because in addition to being racists, and traitors, they were lovely. the current south likes to lie to themselves about this because if they didn't have this dumb lie, they would have nothing, because it sucks down there. it also sucks to be southern because actually there's no such thing as southern cultural heritage,. southern culture is basically just hating things that are different and being lazy fat and stupid. they pretend to be nice, but that's actually not true. per capita they do most of the murdering. glad they lost, but i also wish they'd also go away forefver? when the germans lost their racist war they apologized and started making good cars. the south just kept being worthless

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Cubone posted:

the south wanted slavery so bad they betrayed and attacked their fellow countryman, and then they lost, because in addition to being racists, and traitors, they were lovely. the current south likes to lie to themselves about this because if they didn't have this dumb lie, they would have nothing, because it sucks down there. it also sucks to be southern because actually there's no such thing as southern cultural heritage,. southern culture is basically just hating things that are different and being lazy fat and stupid. they pretend to be nice, but that's actually not true. per capita they do most of the murdering. glad they lost, but i also wish they'd also go away forefver? when the germans lost their racist war they apologized and started making good cars. the south just kept being worthless

:vince:

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I have a question about people from the South. Why do they all wear hats and sunglasses inside at night?

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
I still want a genuine sherman necktie

he called that poo poo way out in front and then made it happen, a true hero

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Typical Pubbie posted:

"Shut the gently caress up, somebody has to keep the blacks from moving up here"- Every northern white person in 1865

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
The house at Appomattox Court. Not an easy day to forget. I remember every detail: the southerners wore grey, you wore blue.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
Half my family is from the south and they make really amazing fried chicken. They unfortunately also say things like "can you believe they spent that money researching raccoons?" and "I'll pray for you" but they are still good people. Also two of my ancestors fought for the south and were captured by union troops. :shrug:

Ancient Mariner
Jan 14, 2015

by Lowtax

it's cool because this just reinforces his behaviour and encourages him to post more :thumbsup:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nefarious
Sep 26, 2000

by XyloJW

Ancient Mariner posted:

it's cool because this just reinforces his behaviour and encourages him to post more :thumbsup:

no poo poo just ban him

• Locked thread