Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
Heads = Paranoia Yes
Tails = Paranoia No

quote:

Taking a deep breath, you take a single careful step into the spiders' lair. The spiders slide down their perfect little threads to inspect you, their metal chelicerae dripping with lethal poison. They swarm around but do not molest you as you pick your way carefully through their complex web system.

The Pitt is amazed—and infuriated.

"Attack him!" he screams.

The neon lights glow brighter as the spiders grant you passage through their network. Elle stands in front of the dirty window pane, blindfolded and bound at the wrists with arms stretched overhead by a heavy rope hanging from the ceiling. As you pass the last of the silver threads, The Pitt charges in after you, angry.

The spiders attack.

quote:

The spiders flow over his body and into his screaming mouth—biting, injecting, consuming. He convulses madly within the webs as hundreds of spiders, his spiders, overwhelm him.

The mad prince is undone by his own malice. The spiders drag his body into the corner and begin consuming his tissue with a sickening slurping sound.

The Pitt is no more.

quote:

You pull down Elle's blindfold, revealing those deep green eyes as, beyond the dirty window, the sun rises over NOLA. She notices your ripped and bloodied clothes, then the bruises and scratches, and finally your recently-acquired voodoo appendage. Taking it all in, she shakes her head and declares that the mob has nearly destroyed you—destroyed you both.

Tears fall from her eyes as you cut her down. She falls right into your arms, holding you. Elle has never embraced you in this way before.

"I know you went through so much to find me. Thank you…"

I've been waiting for this. It's completely reassuring.
It's nice, but I'm not relaxing yet. I still don't know who's playin' who.
This isn't the end. I don't have time to waste right now.

quote:

You produce the note that Elle had given to Father Confessor. She smiles sadly, looking again at your shredded clothes and voodoo appendage. She tells you she knew something bad was going to happen when The Pitt asked her to come to the revue—offering a cockamamie story about wanting to patch things up with The Bull.

"Let's go. Let's go to Mexico," Elle says determinedly. Mexico. If only that were enough to soothe your troubled soul. She yanks her wrists out of the leftover rope.

A floorboard creaks across the room, and you both look up. There stands The Bull in all her massive glory, a thick cigar hanging from her mouth. She looks down at what's left of her dead step-brother as the spiders continue their grisly feast. The Bull shakes her head.

"I knew the little weasel would dig his own grave one day. I didn't think he'd do it Bond-villain style, though."

Elle moves closer to you, as if bracing herself against the blows that may come. The Bull looks up, puffing on her cigar, and gives you a big smile. She begins to clap, congratulating you as if you'd just passed a math exam. She notices your modified right leg and steps towards you and Elle, arms out.

It's your move, headcrusher.

quote:

This is the big moment. This entire night—all the torture, the insanity, the heat, the deals, the money, the mobs—was all to bring you here. Search inside your heart and discover what you truly want. Is it Elle, who was the reason you took this mission? Or was she just the catalyst? Do you really love her, or is she simply a symbol of the freedom that could be yours if you left the mob?

Making the wrong choice here could cost you everything. It could ruin you. Make your choice, headcrusher, before someone does it for you.

I try to kill The Bull. She stands between me and what I truly desire. (Savvy %-20, Mattresses %+20, Gun %+15, Respect %-30, ???)
I tell The Bull the truth. Maybe the old saying is right and "the truth shall set you free." (Savvy %+20, Mattresses %-20, Gun %-25, Respect %+20, ???)
I'm keepin' my trap shut. Freedom is so close, I can almost taste it. (Savvy %+10, ???)
The Hell with Elle and The Bull. I'm joining up with The Dragon to do some real business. (Too much Remorse to choose)

This is it, the final stretch of the game. I think it's only fair to put your final destiny in your own hands. I'll still tell you the stat changes, but it's up to you to figure out the outcome. I will tell you, so you don't accidentally think like I did my first run, that telling the truth isn't confessing our Desire (here, for repentance), but rather confessing our love for Elle. Also, some of these options are more final than others.

Stats posted:

Name: Antonio

Clips: 5
How many kills you've gotten in—tonight, anyway.

Contracts: 5
Deals secured.

Juice: 8550
Cash money.

How are you feeling, headcrusher? You're hurting. There's no denying it. Meanwhile, your right leg has been replaced by a voodoo appendage. (Total Wounds 5)

Heat: 52%
The cops on your tail.

Jumpin' the Gun: 45% (+6)
Jumping in without thinking things through.

Remorse: 92%
Desire for repentance.

Respect: 73%
Honor and devotion to the mob. Also, your reputation—how much people fear you.

Savvy: 70% (+3)
Thinking with your head, not with your fists.

Take it to the Mattresses!: 59% (+4)
Brawling, fighting, and getting violent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Let's keep our mouth shut.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

ultrafilter posted:

Let's keep our mouth shut.

Agreed.

Happy Blue
Oct 18, 2012
Tell the truth.

Corzanth
Apr 8, 2011

Rawr!
Let's go with the truth.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
The truth shall set us free!

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Truth

Lazaruise
Jan 25, 2009
Hey it'll probably kill us but Truth up in the bitch

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice

quote:

Standing between the married couple, you hold up your hands, and tell them you've got something to confess. Elle's mouth drops open and she shakes her head in fear. Every fiber of her being screams out for you not to say it.

I say it. (Savvy %+15, Gun %+10, Respect %+20, ???)
If I kill The Bull, I don't have to say anything. (Savvy %-20, Mattresses %+20, Gun %+15, Respect %-30, ???)
On second thought, I should let the boss make the first move…. (Savvy %+15, Mattresses %-25, Gun %-20, Respect %-15. ???)

Stats posted:

Name: Antonio

Clips: 5
How many kills you've gotten in—tonight, anyway.

Contracts: 5
Deals secured.

Juice: 8550
Cash money.

How are you feeling, headcrusher? You're hurting. There's no denying it. Meanwhile, your right leg has been replaced by a voodoo appendage. (Total Wounds 5)

The cops on your tail.

Jumpin' the Gun: 39% (-6)

Desire for repentance.

Respect: 78% (+5)

Savvy: 76% (+6)

Take it to the Mattresses!: 48% (-11)

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Just say it.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Say it, don't spray it.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Well, we're on this path, may as well ride it to the end. Say it.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Get on the mike and spit it!

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice

quote:

The truth pours out of you like you've been rehearsing this speech for years. You explain to The Bull how you've been harboring this secret, and how it's eaten away at you for too long. It's affected you, tormented you. raked you over the coals, and shoved you into paranoia, terror, sleepless nights, and wakeless days.

You have been a weak shell. But tonight you're finally strong enough to speak of what you've been repressing for all these years.

Elle takes your hand gently and looks straight into The Bull's alarmed eyes, spilling her heart out to her. It's affected her as well, and she's been terrified for her life all this time.

She said it! Glad she finally spoke up.
Psshhh. I knew she'd come around.
It coulda gone either way.

Fake Choice, but going off of the stats we needed... yeah, this was always gonna work out for us.

quote:

The Bull stands back, eying you both. Clearing her throat, she tells you both that she's known all this time. Tonight was a test. You coulda just left the mob and her, took the money and run. Hell, you coulda killed her.

But you didn't. You told the ugly truth.

quote:

It's hard for her, but The Bull tells you and Elle to get outta there. She tells you it's okay—she never filed the marriage certificate, anyway. You both are released.

Phew.

She hands over the rest of the seventy-five large she promised you at the beginning of the night, a reward for a job well done. Before the two of you leave, however, you take a moment to hack off The Pitt's head and throw it in a bag.

One last message job to deliver. But this time, it's a happier one.

Lulu meets you in The Pitt's office, and you give her a decent share of the cash out of the claw-foot bathtub. She's incredibly thankful, and lets you know she going to set up her own joint, where the performers will all own shares in the business.

Moreover, while you're rummaging in his desk for more swag, you find the keys to The Pitt's infamous pink Cadillac El Dorado. Looks like you've got a new ride!

quote:

Before you get the gently caress outta Dodge, you make a pit stop at The Dragon's lair to drop off the keys to the revue. She must have just finished her Zumba workout, because she's wearing an Anaheim Angels jersey.

You take a moment to introduce Elle to The Dragon—they had never met—and The Dragon raves about her newly found son, even though you are kinda "funny looking."

quote:

And with that, you head off to Mexico with Elle. You're destined for a new, peaceful life, complete with a beautiful beach, sand between your toes, and the love of your life right by your side.

quote:

After everything you've done in your life and everything you've done tonight, you realize you can't go on like this. You feel the need to give back. Of course, the first thing to do to 'give back' is to deliver The Pitt's head to the family of the Silent Cop who died outside the police precinct. You let them know they don't have anything more to fear.

Their sense of relief is tempered by your wrecked suit and bloodied face.

You find a nice house on the outskirts of town, and with the all the money you've got, you open a reform school for headcrushers and mafiosi. The good Father Confessor—now off his red birds—comes and leads you all in prayer every week or so. It's a little Goodfellas and a little Welcome Back Kotter.

Final Stats posted:

How do you feel, headcrusher?

You ended the game with 5 wounds.

You killed 5 individuals.

You had made 5 deals.

You had $148550 in cash.

Your final stats:

The cops on your tail.

Jumpin' the Gun: 45%

Desire for repentance.

Respect: 84%

Savvy: 79%

Take it to the Mattresses!: 48%

quote:

Play again.
Play more games like this.
Share this game with friends.
Email me when new games are available.

And that's it. A nice happy ending. It was a pretty good run. There's still a fair bit that we didn't do, but I feel it would be best to stop the LP here. If I give the rest of it away here, there'd be no reason for you to get it yourself and experience those moments on your own. Here's some exciting things we didn't get to do, though:
  • Die, go to Hell, make a deal with Satan('s middle-management)
  • Die, go to Hell, re-enact the ascension from the end of Constantine
  • Kick The Pitt with spurs
  • Take part in a vampire party
  • Actually get an ending in Mexico based on your career choice from way back early, instead of hitting the Remorse ending we did
  • Be more ruthless and kill some people, we were practically pacifistic here
  • Actually be pacifistic, it seems there is a way to not kill anybody
And probably at least a couple of other things I'm forgetting about. Anyways, thank you all for coming and participating, it's been pretty fun to run this and have at least an audience, however small on average. Feel free to join me in wailing and gnashing of teeth over in JosephWongKS' VERSUS thread and lament that Choice of Games didn't choose any of their other authors, this game's included, as standard-bearer over Zachary Sergi.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

This was fun. Thanks for running it.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Thanks a bunch. I didn't always vote, but I was always reading the thread. It's been enjoyable!

Happy Blue
Oct 18, 2012
Yeah, this was a really cool story. I'm wondering how many things like mechanical spiders and high-tech prosthetics there are in the other paths.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
Thaks for this, it was fun!

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
Thanks! This was a fun game, and you did a great job of showcasing it.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
Thank you, that was a great LP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Thanks for the two runs. I do enjoy going through these games with you.

It was pretty good, but I never really felt the story. I don't know why.

Cheers.

• Locked thread