Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Every time our character calls herself a "headcrusher" this is all I can think of:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8t4pmlHRokg

We send good messages

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
We do 'em for the family.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
It's the one thing I'm good at.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Every time I do a job I :barf:

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

It's a dirty job, but someone's got to do it.

Corzanth
Apr 8, 2011

Rawr!
Others might do them too, but no one's as good as I am.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice

quote:

Skills come in a variety of forms, and well, yours just happens to be extremely lethal!

Even so, while delivering the limbs of canaries to the Bull's various enemies—real or imagined—you sometimes wonder whether you could make it in another profession if you could ever gain your freedom.

The mafia is the only life for me. There will be no retirement. I will either rule the city or die trying.
I've always had a thing for archaeology—digging for clues, putting together data, meeting the natives, and possibly even teaching!
A solitary life as a writer—of mysteries, noir, thrillers, and finally, an autobiography—would satisfy me.
The sea is where I belong—I'd become a pirate, taking what I wanted from those unlucky enough to cross my path.
I prefer the company of canines to most humans I know. Professional dog-walking sounds like a nice life.
Fashion design, all the way. Working within The Bull's restrictions has forced me to get creative.

Stats posted:

Name: Sam

Clips: 0
How many kills you've gotten in—tonight, anyway.

Contracts: 1
Deals secured.

Juice: 10100
Cash money.

How are you feeling, headcrusher? You're in tip-top shape? Good to know.

Heat: 55%
The cops on your tail.

Jumpin' the Gun: 51%
Jumping in without thinking things through.

Respect: 50%
Honor and devotion to the mob. Also, your reputation—how much people fear you.

Savvy: 77%
Thinking with your head, not with your fists.

Take it to the Mattresses!: 61% (+4)
Brawling, fighting, and getting violent.

Crepuscule Adepte
Feb 21, 2008

Why is my hair purple? It's from the blood of everyone that lost a bet against me.
...Yeah, sure. Let's be a pirate.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Pirates are just the mafia with boats anyway.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
This one seems to have a much slower start than the Necromancer book, I'm not sure I care for it.

Fashion design, all the way. Working within The Bull's restrictions has forced me to get creative.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Get rich or die trying.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

pirate

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Let's be a pirate. :yarr:

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

....uh.

Well, yeah, pirate, although this is getting super weird!

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
Things are a little strange for now, but this adventure will be getting into gear soon enough. Just another couple choices of backstory...

quote:

You want a life of mystery and adventure on the wide-open sea.

quote:

Unfortunately, to get to what you truly desire, you've got to complete your mission first, and The Pitt is the epicenter of that mission. He's had a beef with you for years—whenever he sees you, his face goes bright red and his fists clench so hard that the knuckles go white.

The mix of fear and anger is obvious to everyone, and the fact that he'll shoot off his slack-jawed, chip-toothed mouth about you to anyone who'll even pretend to care, means everyone who's anyone knows that you're not exactly on his Christmas card list.

Frankly, The Pitt was always a spoiled little brat. The Pitt was born around the time The Bull first took you in. Even though you were a half-wild orphan, you naturally assumed the role of big sister, and The Pitt resented it. Then, when you were about twenty-two, and The Pitt was the ripe old age of thirteen, you caught him doing something unspeakable.

Torturing animals.
Bullying the physically disabled kid down the street.
Trying to burn down a neighbor's home.
Urinating in the communion wine at the St. Louis Cathedral.

Stats posted:

Deals secured.

Cash money.

The cops on your tail.

Jumpin' the Gun: 53% (+2)

Respect: 50%

Take it to the Mattresses!: 62% (+1)

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

How can we pass up having the little bastard piss in the Communion wine?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

idonotlikepeas posted:

Exactly.

Corzanth
Apr 8, 2011

Rawr!

idonotlikepeas posted:

Seriously. This is the best.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

No contest. He pissed in the communion wine.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice

quote:

He thought it would be fun to profane the holiest rite of the Church, but you caught him in the act. As Mass was starting, you dragged him out in front of the whole congregation and threw him at the priest's feet. His punishment was to serve as an altar boy at the earliest Mass every Sunday until he was sixteen. He never forgave you the humiliation or the years of lost sleep.

From that day on, The Pitt never urinated in the sacrament again, at least not while you were around or word could get back to you. But stopping him from running amok caused severe tension between you two, and you were well aware that the day would come when The Pitt would establish his own borgata and force you to take it to the mattresses.

He may be a little brat, but he knows how to get your attention. And all the while, Luke could very well be the grand puppeteer, pulling not only your strings, but The Pitt's and The Bull's too.

quote:

Right on cue, the skies open and torrents of warm rain sheet down as you step onto the cracked pavement in your alligator shoes. Within seconds, your suit is drenched, and water pours off your hat as you head towards your destiny.

The only way to find Luke fast and blow this Sno-Ball stand is to discover that passage to the underground railroad. The notorious Gator Girls just might hold the magic ticket, but it's certainly going to cost you.

quote:

Based in the French Quarter, the Gator Girls—Ruby and Coco—are a pair of scrappy Creole sisters, whip-crack smart with keen business instincts. They're co-owners of The Gator Girls' Voodoo Shop, located right on Bourbon Street. The mob may be cutthroat, but it's got nothin' on making a living as shop owners, particularly ones who specialize in Louisiana voodoo.

Ruby and Coco, and their Auntie Ezma, protect themselves as much with their backcountry Creole charm as with their fearsome reputations. They'll roast a pig and invite a bluegrass band to their unique home any day of the week. They're like family to you…at the right price.

quote:

They aren't associated with the mob, but the Gator Girls have been loyal and trustworthy over the years. They see and hear everything, and although they may not hand out information for free, they always have your back when you need them. On top of that, they are perceptive, intuitive, and give one hell of a card reading.

Ruby and Coco warned me about an assassination attempt on The Bull.
They offered refuge when my life was in danger.
Auntie Ezma distracted the cops so I avoided getting pinched.

The plot is finally in motion, but we've got one more piece of backstory to fill in first. Then, we're sticking in the present nearly all the way through the rest of the story.

Stats posted:

Deals secured.

Cash money.

The cops on your tail.

Jumpin' the Gun: 53%

Respect: 55% (+5)

Take it to the Mattresses!: 63% (+1)

Corzanth
Apr 8, 2011

Rawr!
They sheltered us from the storm.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Auntie took a bullet for me.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Corzanth posted:

They sheltered us from the storm.

Yeah, precisely.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice

quote:

When the head of the Irish gang tried to take you down, they let you hide out in their voodoo shop. Later, you launched a counterattack with the The Bull backing you up.

Of course, the help didn't come for free—it took several months for you to pay them back—but they were willing to let you slide a little. They knew you were good for it.

quote:

As you make your way, the rain stops suddenly as if God turned off a faucet. Heavy clouds still hang over NOLA, though, a match for your mood. Up ahead, Bourbon Street is in full swing, swarming with mafiosi.

Bourbon is neutral ground—wise guys, cugines, gutterpunks, and wannabes can all party together there. The syndicates have an agreement, and they enforce it, hard. Anyone caught making trouble receives a quick message job. Anywhere north, south, east, or west of Bourbon is a totally different game.

quote:

You smoothly step into "Cat Alley"—a narrow, dumpster-filled way behind the cheap restaurants and sleazy clubs on Bourbon. Feral cats emerge from invisible hiding places to perch on the dumpster hoods, eyes shining. Most of them know you, since you've brought them food and toys before.

The Gator Girls' Voodoo Shop is located across the street, right on Bourbon, past the candy-colored stop sign on the corner. The brightly-lit shop window is adorned with gris-gris, dolls, and charms.

You need to get there without attracting attention.

Walk right in the front door to the shop.
Go in through the back door.
Use a light signal.

Stats posted:

Deals secured.

Cash money.

Heat: 57% (+2)
The cops on your tail.

Jumpin' the Gun: 48% (-5)

Respect: 55%

Take it to the Mattresses!: 63%

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
No one shall notice little old me coming in through the front door.

Crepuscule Adepte
Feb 21, 2008

Why is my hair purple? It's from the blood of everyone that lost a bet against me.
...I have no idea which one could possibly match which stat. Uhh...

Light signal maybe?

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Let's head around the back.

And whilst we may be a total monster, at least we're kind to animals. :3:

Corzanth
Apr 8, 2011

Rawr!
Might as well shed some light on the situation.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Try the batsignal, I guess?

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

Darth TNT posted:

No one shall notice little old me coming in through the front door.
Seriously, hiding in plain sight works better than most people imagine.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Shei-kun posted:

Seriously, hiding in plain sight works better than most people imagine.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
Heads = Front Door
Tails = Signals

quote:

Whipping out a red laser, you aim it at the window and send a series of flashes that only the Gator Girls will understand. It's like the Gator-signal, and it works every time.

quote:

Ruby and Coco arrive a few minutes later and join you near one of the big dumpsters behind the shop—your usual meeting spot when you can't go inside. You hand them a wad of your juice, and they give you the lowdown.

The Gator Girls have the key to the magical door. The Pitt is the man behind the green curtain of a burlesque revue close to the outskirts of the French Quarter called Girls Girls Girls. It's a hoppin' place on the corner of Chartres Street and Madison Avenue, tucked near the St. Louis Cathedral. All the big players are in residence every night—CEOs, executives, and politicians.

The Gator Girls explain they can't stay for long, because Ezma is serving as a mambo tonight. Erzuli—the loa—is about to possess a cheval—a mortal host—and they have to get back in time to help Auntie greet the spirit. There's a lot you don't know, or want to know, about their rituals.

You thank them over your shoulder, already on your way. Luke is running out of time.

quote:

At the far end of the alley, you freeze. The cats that fill the alley scatter and take cover as well.

Turning your head, you see that a patrol car is blocking the alleyway. A big ol' spotlight is moving towards you. Your back touches something hard and you look up to see a ladder covered in vines reaching the roof of the building. The cop gets out of the car, static from the CB deafening you. There is no time to waste.

Climb up the ladder and get out of there!
Push past the cop.
Hide in a dumpster.

Stats posted:

Deals secured.

Juice: 9600 (-500)
Cash money.

Heat: 57%
The cops on your tail.

Jumpin' the Gun: 46% (-2)

Respect: 53% (-2)

Savvy: 78% (+1)

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Time to climb.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
A glorious killer like us will never be found in the dumpster!

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Climb

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

(Also the Deadly Premonition LP was good and if people haven't seen it they should do so)

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
Heads = Climb
Tails = Dumpster

quote:

From here, you can hear the cop as he creeps down the alley. In a moment, he's beside the dumpster. And that's when you pounce.

Standing up, you grab the cop and pull him into the dumpster with you. Your sawtooth comes out, and it's goodnight Irene.

You wipe yourself off and go through his wallet, scoring some extra juice as a nice bonus. Waiting until the coast is clear, you walk casually around the corner and cross to the other side of Bourbon Street. Once across, you break into a run.

quote:

Your breathing becomes more focused as your feet pound the pavement. Large, draping live oak trees extend overhead as you approach the territory you should never enter.

It's the only way to get to the Girls Girls Girls revue without drawing undue heat down on your neck: a quick jaunt through the heart of The Dragon's lair.

Chapter Three: The Dragon posted:

The only path that leads straight to the Girls Girls Girls revue is policed by The Dragon, NOLA's resident Chinese mob boss. He arrived two short years ago, pulling into the murky harbor on a steamboat made to resemble an ancient Chinese war-junk.

Word quickly spread like a disease throughout NOLA that The Dragon has the blood of emperors flowing like ice through his veins. The Forbidden City may seem like it's just a tourist trap these days, but quiet voices whisper that deep within those supposedly empty halls sits a criminal organization with minions—like The Dragon—in cities across the globe.

The Dragon's sudden appearance and rise has added a new layer of fear to the already bloody streets of NOLA. Gangsters may try to pretend they've seen his ilk before, but they tread lightly in his territory lest they suffer his wrath.

quote:

For as long as it has existed, this city has been roiled by clashing forces—the Spanish, the English, the French, the Germans, the Italians, the Irish, and even Mother Nature with her stifling heat and raging hurricanes.

And now, the Chinese.

A wise individual would fear The Dragon. Some might say you are two sides of the same coin. Still others might seek to drive this foreign competition from the city's shores. What do you say, headcrusher?

He has my respect; The Dragon and I both use intimidation tactics to control our enemies—and friends.
The Chinese? Finally! The mob has always embraced new business opportunities.
I couldn't care less, as long as The Dragon doesn't get in my way tonight.

Stats posted:

Deals secured.

Juice: 9600
Cash money.

Heat: 57%
The cops on your tail.

Jumpin' the Gun: 42% (-4)

Respect: 55% (+2)

Savvy: 78%

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

No problems tonight, no problems at all.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

An enemy is just a business opportunity with a gun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
We've got enough problems. We'll be okay as long as he doesn't get in our way tonight.

• Locked thread