Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

We did spend the night with Luke back on page one or two, so I'm guessing that's the right choice here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice

quote:

You let her know that you'll be running this town one day, and this mission is just a stepping stone in the right direction. You'll save Luke, make your money, and reinvest. And eventually, The Bull will be kissing your feet.

Realizing that you might be saying too much, you slap all four hands over your mouths to stop the words from spilling out. Sudden vertigo washes over you, and your two halves collide, leaving you whole but disoriented. As your vision clears, you find yourself back in your body, on the floor.

The Dragon hugs herself and laughs.

"It's the tiger piss," she says, leaning forward and staring into you. "It takes your defenses down, makes you divulge your deepest secrets. And you? You are an overachiever, and I like overachievers," she says.

quote:

The Dragon launches into a heartfelt monologue.

"I grew up in Southern California, where free will is an illusion. My parents emigrated from Vietnam; they always wanted me to go to MIT, get my engineering degree, and find a good husband. I will not be stuck in the past, forced to serve and dress and do as I'm told."

"You and I, we're trapped in a man's world, and we must be strong, fast, and smart to survive it. Just like you wear a suit and carry a sawtooth, I wear an identity. That is why I never leave this territory. So I fled until I found myself in New Orleans. I fell in love with its beauty and its secrets. Let the people think I am a man. Let them create illusions. I'll keep my power and, even better, my freedom."

The Dragon stops chattering and gives you a long look. She decides that she's impressed by your spirit and listening skills. She also thinks you're sort of funny-looking, which is interesting coming from a middle-aged Vietnamese woman with a white afro.

She reveals that she gave The Pitt the juice to get Girls Girls Girls off the ground, and The Pitt refuses to pay her back. She knows she needs to hit him, but she doesn't leave her little empire. So why not send someone as determined as you?

You work out a deal with The Dragon: fifty large if you kill The Pitt and deliver her the keys.

With a flick of her wrist, the sawtooth lands in your clutches and your money in your lap.

The gutterpunks blindfold you and take you outside, where the clean air fills your lungs. They throw you in the back of a van, drive a couple blocks, and toss you into the Mississippi River. Your body bounces off the rocks and into the black, oil-slick water. Apparently, permission to "pass through" her territory doesn't include any actual help doing so.

Water fills your mouth, mixed with boat oil and chemicals…and the run-off from the streets. What's more, every member of the mob knows hundreds of bodies are dropped into the river. The Mississippi is NOLA's sewer line and graveyard…and now you are a part of it.

This is shaping up to be the best night ever.

Chapter Four: Pinched posted:

Water fills your mouth, redolent with the taste of oil, dead fish, and a faint, unhealthy sweetness that might be the flavor of rotting human remains. Your legs kick powerfully, quickly bringing you to the surface. You spit out the filthy water and take a deep breath.

You see a bright, blinking neon sign in the distance. Hope rises in your chest—it's the Girls Girls Girls revue. To top it all off, a beggar serenades you from the riverbank, playing a broken love song on a battered viola.

Crawling out of the river is tricky, and you might need help.

I am a true warrior now. Asking for help just won't do.
I'll yell for help to the beggar. He's gotta have a heart, right?
I grab onto the bow of a passing boat. They just might help me on board.

Stats posted:

Name: Sam

Clips: 0
How many kills you've gotten in—tonight, anyway.

Contracts: 2 (+1)
Deals secured.

Juice: 7600
Cash money.

How are you feeling, headcrusher? You're in tip-top shape? Good to know.

Heat: 57%
The cops on your tail.

Jumpin' the Gun: 39% (-4)
Jumping in without thinking things through.

Respect: 59% (+4)
Honor and devotion to the mob. Also, your reputation—how much people fear you.

Savvy: 80%
Thinking with your head, not with your fists.

Take it to the Mattresses!: 64% (+4)
Brawling, fighting, and getting violent.

For making the right choice, we've added a new contract. Get enough of these, and we'll probably have enough favors to call in to take over the city the moment we take down the Pitt.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Cool. No asking for help.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Yeah. We're setting out to take over NOLA. Let's see if we can get ourselves out of the river first.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice

quote:

Splashing about in the strong current like a flailing mongoose, you try to reach the shore, but the water keeps going down your throat and gagging you. When you finally start getting closer to the riverbank, the beggar drops his viola and points a gun right at you….

quote:

He cocks his gun and says something in a wheezy rasp. His broken teeth and swollen gums make him hard to understand, but you're pretty sure he's telling you The Pitt told him to do it.

The beggar looks at you, gun shaking, and begins to pull the trigger….

quote:

He can't do it. Just like that, he puts the gun away and grabs the rotting viola. Suddenly, blue and red lights flash, and an all too familiar sound blasts out your eardrums. Good thing your ears are full of water; otherwise, you wouldn't be able to hear for a week.

It's the heat in all its glory. A patrolboat cruises up right behind you, and a net flies out and nabs you. The cops haul you in as though you're the catch of the day.

Getting locked up by the cops could ruin the entire mission. Everyone in NOLA knows the police force is corrupt, and you have no idea which team these particular pigs are playing on.

But there's no getting out of this one, unless The Bull has someone on the inside who can help you….

quote:

The next hour is a blur. They find your juice and sawtooth, read you your rights, and cuff you. Then, it's off to the station, where they take you to a cold, windowless room. They set you down on a hard wooden chair with your hands still cuffed behind you. A single bright bulb shines in your eyes.

In the shadows behind the light, an audience of cops watches and waits….

The door bursts open. It's Jimmy Malone, smug as the proverbial cat who caught the canary. It seems he's made captain since the last time you met. He struts over to you, reveling in the knowledge that he owns the room. He leans in, placing his hands on the chair, and breathes right into your face. Holding your gaze with his own, he tells you straight out they've got you dead to rights. The weapon they found on your person is notorious for being involved in the most skilled message jobs in all of New Orleans. He lets you know that your only hope is to flip.

Awww. He's stroking my ego.
I just want my precious sawtooth back—it's like my security blanket.
Compliments ain't gonna work. He's just trying to intimidate me.

Stats posted:

Contracts: 2
Deals secured.

Cash money.

How are you feeling, headcrusher? You're in tip-top shape? Good to know.

The cops on your tail.

Jumpin' the Gun: 38% (-1)

Respect: 59%

Take it to the Mattresses!: 64%

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
That's right, make our ego purr.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Give me my blanket!

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Stroke that ego, baby.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Shei-kun posted:

Stroke that ego, baby.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice

quote:

Malone keeps going as you sit there dripping like a wet dog. He tells you again that the sawtooth ties you directly to the mob, and adds that they know about the brewing mafia war. All he wants from you is the specifics of who lies behind it. "I got a tip, you know. A little birdie told me you were going to be on the prowl tonight. You think you're so smart, but you were easy to find. And if you don't spill it, this is only going to get worse for you." He's clearly getting excited. And the other cops are starting to get excited as well. One even cracks his knuckles in anticipation of the beatdown you're about to receive.

You lips are sealed. There's no way you're talking.

Malone glares at you. One final glance before turning to leave you alone…alone with the other officers.

They lock the door, turn off the cameras, and get down to business. A fist hits you right in the jaw, flipping your wet head back. You see one of the officers hanging back in the shadows. His dark brown eyes stare from the darkness, but he makes no move to stop them.

What do you think about this Silent Cop? Something about him tells you he's not his own man—that he works for somebody. Maybe for the same person that tipped off Malone that you had a job tonight? As the blows continue to fall, you consider who that might be.

He might be a mole working for The Bull.
He could be working for The Pitt, who is determined to make this night hell for me.
At this point, all I care about is the fist in my face.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Yeah, while I'm sure there's plenty intrigue to be had and there's probably some bigger picture at work here, I'm a bit distracted by the fist that's giving me some reconstructive surgery on my face.

Corzanth
Apr 8, 2011

Rawr!
He's working for the Pitt, but we've got this one figured out.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
So that's a fist that just hit me.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
It's one of the Bull's moles, making note if we let anything slip.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
As long as he keeps his fists to himself, we don't care who he works for.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Hold up, there's something in my eye.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice

quote:

Taking five of the best across the jaw tends to tighten your focus.

The rest of the coppers start taking their aggression out on you, too—one with a punch, another with a kick in the stomach, a third with the stock of a gun. Then they all get their shots at once.

This is getting old, real quick. You gotta do something or you might be stuck here for hours.

Grit my teeth and bear it.
I'm the Number One headcrusher in this town. It's time for a prison break.
I can work out a deal. The little fishies just might bite.

Stats posted:

Deals secured.

Cash money.

How are you feeling, headcrusher? A bruise? A cut? Good to know that it's nothing to worry about.

The cops on your tail.

Jumpin' the Gun: 38%

Respect: 59%

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Enough fun. You work for me and I don't kill you. Deal?

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

Sorry not sorry.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
Break some heads. Or prisons.

Happy Blue
Oct 18, 2012
Prison Break!

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Kgummy posted:

Break some heads. Or prisons.

Ayup.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Let's deal.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
Heads = Prison Break
Tails = Cut a deal

quote:

Poised and ready, the cops wait for you like children gathering around for story time. Who knows what secrets you might spill? This will be big news around the water cooler later, so you gear up to make it good. Your mind moves quickly and before you open your bloody mouth, you decide on a little judicious editing. You give 'em a taste, but only a taste, of what's cookin'.

Just then, the (formerly) silent cop interrupts. "I think the captain might want to hear this," he says. The others stop and look at each other for a moment before nodding. They file out of the room.

Once they're gone, Silent Cop tells you to shut your trap, unlocks the handcuffs, and pushes you out a back door.

The door slams behind you, and you find yourself blinking in the lights of the police parking lot. You're free to go…but without your stuff. No sawtooth. No money clip. No juice. You stand outside the station, struck by the nefariousness of The Bull's plan: he strung you out, cast you as a traitor, and stripped away everything you had.

As you make it to the side street, Silent Cop drives up next to you and pitches a bag marked "EVIDENCE" at you. "I need to talk to you—it's important."

He did deliver the sawtooth—I hear him out.
Hell no! I don't mix with moles.
He's got info on me, and besides, I don't want to miss a chance to kill a cop.

Stats posted:

Deals secured.

Cash money.

How are you feeling, headcrusher? A bruise? A cut? Good to know that it's nothing to worry about.

The cops on your tail.

Respect: 54% (-5)

Savvy: 81% (+1)

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Let's hear him out.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Talk while you can. :clint:

Happy Blue
Oct 18, 2012
Hear him out. We can always kill him later, if we don't like what we hear.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice

quote:

You get into the passenger seat, closing the door for a little privacy.

He pulls out his sidearm, pointing it right at you. "The Pitt…he says…." The gun shakes in his hands. "He says…"

You finger your sawtooth. It would be tight—the moreso after your recent beating—but you think you can take him. But maybe you can talk him down? It seems like he doesn't want to do this.

"You don't understand. My family's life is at stake."

After a long moment, he sets the gun down, tears falling from his eyes. "I know a way out of this. The right way. So just get outta here," he says.

You turn to open the car door, and the poor bastard blows his brains out. The blast stings your ears; you turn to watch as the gun in his hand falls and the body goes slack.

As you get out of the car, it sinks in how important this night is. You know that if you were the don of NOLA, none of this would be going down. You owe it to NOLA. You love this city, and you'd protect her honor as the boss.

quote:

You take cover behind an oak tree and catch your breath. You glance at your juice; it looks like it's all there.

The cathedral clock strikes the hour, bells echoing through the streets of the Quarter. It's 3AM; daylight is fast approaching.

Chapter Five: Book It posted:

This is really turning out be one hell of a night. It'll go down in the history books. It's 3AM and Luke is running out of time. Soon, daylight will break, and it when it does, someone's going to be dead.

You gotta get all the way back through the French Quarter to Jackson Square—fast.

Steal a police horse.
Hail a cab.
Use what my momma gave me: run.

Stats posted:

Deals secured.

Cash money.

Heat: 53% (-4)
The cops on your tail.

Respect: 54%

Savvy: 81%

Take it to the Mattresses!: 61% (-1)

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Take a cab.

Happy Blue
Oct 18, 2012
Cab.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
Go see a police man about a horse.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
The "Heat" meter doesn't make sense to me. Kill a cop, no change. Escape from prison, it goes DOWN.

Cab.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

The "Heat" meter doesn't make sense to me. Kill a cop, no change. Escape from prison, it goes DOWN.

Cab.

The "kill a cop" scene is bugged, it looks like, and doesn't change stats at all - we should have gotten heat and juice from it. But in this scenario, it makes sense - presumably the mole cop covered our presence up so he could disappear us in a nearby river, but ended up not going through with it. Still works for us. No evidence we were ever there, remember!

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

The Pitt really needs to hire better hitmen. Which of our stats is making them fail horribly just by staring at them?

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
My guess is that they always fail, and the choices are just there to build your stats.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
In this case, it was actually Heat. With over 50 Heat, what we saw is what happens. With less, Silent Cop is a lot more collected than what we saw, but not enough that having decently low Jumpin' the Gun and decently high Savvy will still let you notice he doesn't want to do it. I don't know quite why Heat is the deciding factor, but there you go.

EDIT: Probably worth noting that, even if you do notice Silent Cop's hand trembling in that other path, you can still just kill him anyways. The path we took is the only one where he just offs himself without input from us.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Why are we not all voting on taking a horse because I want to see a mobster riding a horse damnit.

It's just too ridiculous not to vote for.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

Shei-kun posted:

Why are we not all voting on taking a horse because I want to see a mobster riding a horse damnit.

It's just too ridiculous not to vote for.

Well said

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
Heads = Horse
Tails = Cab

quote:

A police stable is nearby, full of obedient Clydesdales waiting to hit the streets.

Leaping from the shadows, you run towards the smell and sound of horses. Through a hole in the fence, you see the big red barn where the horses are being kept.

There are cops swarming all over.

I sneak into the barn. It will take some tricky maneuvering but it just might work….
If I cause a diversion, the coppers will clear out of the barn. As long as I don't get caught in the process….
I wait for a cop to ride by and pull him off his horse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Be sneaky.

• Locked thread