Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
We don't want to spook the horses :ohdear:

Seriously if we spook them everything will go wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Blue
Oct 18, 2012
Don't pass up the opportunity to create a diversion. If we're really good at it, we'll make escaping afterwards easier as well.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice

quote:

Hopping the old fence, you inch your way along until you see a corral. An old woman with a long braid is picking up horse poo poo, her back hunched over as her aching knees pop.

I'll talk to the old woman. She might help me, depending on what mood she's in.
I sneak past her. She works for the heat. She can't be trusted.
I'll threaten her. A little bit of fear isn't going to hurt anyone.

Stats posted:

Name: Sam

Clips: 0
How many kills you've gotten in—tonight, anyway.

Contracts: 2
Deals secured.

Juice: 7600
Cash money.

How are you feeling, headcrusher? A bruise? A cut? Good to know that it's nothing to worry about.

Heat: 53%
The cops on your tail.

Jumpin' the Gun: 35% (-3)
Jumping in without thinking things through.

Respect: 54%
Honor and devotion to the mob. Also, your reputation—how much people fear you.

Savvy: 81%
Thinking with your head, not with your fists.

Take it to the Mattresses!: 61%
Brawling, fighting, and getting violent.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
You're pretty Savvy. Talk to her.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Let's talk to the old lady. Just because we're a horrible person doesn't mean we should be cruel to the elderly. We gotta have SOME standards!

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Hello pooperscooper!

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice

quote:

"Psst," you say from the shadows. She doesn't hear you, so you say it again, louder. She turns around and squints into the darkness.

"Who is that?" She says, too loud. You slowly step out of the shadows, motioning for her to keep it down.

"What do you want?" she says.

You tell her you need a horse. Whether it's your natural charm or the sawtooth sticking out of your belt, she agrees and introduces you to a big roan. "His name's Lighting," she says. "He's got a bit of a temper, just like some folks do."

You lead the horse out the gate and pull yourself onto the saddle. Lightning bolts forward as you hold on for dear life, the old woman laughing behind you.

quote:

Woohoo! What a rush!

A mob of cops, on foot and on horseback, try to chase you, but they can't keep up. It looks like you are going to get away!

Then you are hit with a tree branch—and another and another.

quote:

Seeing stars, you hold on for dear life. The horse gallops through the intersection ignoring everything in its path, as cars and people get out of the way. One of the cars runs into a fire hydrant. A river bursts forth, blocking the cops on their horses.

So long suckers!

quote:

The horse runs through The Dragon's territory, past the switchblade-wielding gutterpunks and straight to the river. You pull on the reins, but its heavy hooves continue to pound the street.

The horse gallops right to the edge of the river and stops suddenly. You grab for his neck but miss, and he pitches you right back into the river.

quote:

After the initial shock and the all-too-familiar taste of filthy water, you claw your way to the surface. This time you get lucky; there's no heat on your trail. You splash your way to a dock and grab on, using your fingernails to dig into the wood and pull yourself up.

This is determination.

quote:

Before you head towards the Girls Girls Girls revue, you stop in front of the beautiful St. Louis Cathedral.

It's time to pay Father Confessor a little visit.

Chapter Six: Beaten and Bruised posted:

The tower bells of the historic St. Louis Cathedral ring out through the early-morning air. It's 3:30AM. You don't have much time left.

Girls Girls Girls is lit up and hoppin' down the street, but Father Confessor—a name given to him by the mob—provides heavenly forgiveness and potential information. Just like the Gator Girls, he sees and hears everything. The only problem is that he's also heavily addicted to uppers, what he calls his "redbirds."

Father Confessor is a shell of the man he once was. The services have really gone downhill, and he's lost quite a few members of his congregation. Some wise guy pointed out recently that it's mostly mafiosi who attend nowadays.

And hell, he's right.

quote:

You walk into the beautiful cathedral, and the heavy door swings shut behind you, its echoing boom announcing your arrival.

Despite your career as a headcrusher, you were raised in the Catholic Church. You consider yourself to be…

An atheist—I don't believe in anything I can't kill.
I haven't really thought too much about it lately.
Like every Italian…I was born Catholic and I will be Catholic again on my deathbed.
I'm going to Hell and that's okay with me.
I still hold out hope that God may forgive me.

Stats posted:

Deals secured.

Cash money.

How are you feeling, headcrusher? A bruise? A cut? Good to know that it's nothing to worry about.

Heat: 57% (+4)
The cops on your tail.

Jumpin' the Gun: 38% (+3)

Respect: 56% (+2)

Take it to the Mattresses!: 61%

now entering North Dakota
Feb 22, 2013

Fun Shoe
May God forgive us because no-one else certainly will.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
What the hell just happened? This CYOA is so weird.

quote:

I'm going to Hell and that's okay with me.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Podima posted:

What the hell just happened? This CYOA is so weird.

Poo-picking old lady screwed us over by giving us the force's widowmaker to ride.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
There's nothing I can't kill.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Ahahahaha that was amazing. That ended about as spectatularly as I could have imagined. :allears:

"Yes let us ride this horse surely it is easy to ride a horse poo poo poo poo poo poo HOW DO I DO ANYTHING poo poo gently caress ARGH gently caress you horse"

Anyway, We were born Catholic and we'll die Catholic.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
One vote each for four of the five options, how exciting!

1 = Atheist
2 = Catholic
3 = Hellbound
4 = Forgiveness

quote:

You tend to keep up traditions. That's why the mob has favored you so much.

No matter how you feel about religion, you recognize the peace and holiness of this place. Like Bourbon Street, it's neutral ground—a safe zone. There is no fighting or destruction inside these walls, but that doesn't mean things can't change suddenly here.

What do you do?

Call out for Father Confessor.
Head straight to the confessional.
Light a candle and pray at the altar.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Let's light a candle.

Happy Blue
Oct 18, 2012
Call out.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
No, no, this is a great opportunity.

Let's break the priest at the confessional.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Light the candle! The rules of drama demand it!

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice

quote:

Walking swiftly to the elaborate altar at the head of the church, you light a candle, kneel, and pray silently, reflecting on your life in NOLA and the decisions that have led you to this moment. You decide to share a private moment with the powers-that-be.

As you pray for forgiveness and strength, you hear mumbling behind you.

It's Father Confessor.

quote:

When you turn, though, there's no one there. Sawtooth in hand, you walk down the main aisle, looking around you suspiciously. You follow the sound until you find Father Confessor stretched out on a pew, high as a kite.

Help him gently to the confessional.
Lives are at stake—drag him to the confessional.
The church is empty! No need to drag him anywhere; I'll make my confession right here.

Stats posted:

Deals secured.

Cash money.

Heat: 57%
The cops on your tail.

Jumpin' the Gun: 38%

Respect: 58% (+2)

Take it to the Mattresses!: 58% (-3)

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012
The church is empty! No need to drag him anywhere; I'll make my confession right here.

Hopefully this backfires spectacularly. Let's do it!

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Noper Q posted:

This can't possibly end badly. So let's do this.

Happy Blue
Oct 18, 2012
Help him to the confessional.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

Noper Q posted:

This can only end in cookies and rainbows.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice

quote:

You slide into the pew next to him and turn him a bit, so his head rests on your lap. Taking the pill bottle gently out of his hand, you shake him awake.

The priest slowly sits up, grabbing his head in pain. He looks at you, rubbing his face. He's actually coherent! You can't believe your luck.

"Of course, my daughter. I've been waiting a long time for you to come to me. Tell me what's on your mind."

quote:

You explain every detail—the drugs, the violence, the drama, and the rigorous demands of the mafia. You talk about your relationship with Luke and share the many reasons loving him will never work. You wrap it all up in a bloodstained bow, divulging the mission, how innocent people's lives are on your shoulders, and that one day, this town will be yours. None of this will matter, then.

Taking it all in, Father Confessor nods with understanding. The priest pops some pills he finds in his pocket and chews them like candy, mumbling about the industrialization of school systems.

He asks you to take him to the confessional. You help him up and stumble along with him to the shriving booth. Setting him down in his chair, you take your seat on the other side of the grille. Gripping your sawtooth tightly, you tap it meaningfully on the grille that separates you. His eyes bug out and he vents a high-pitched shriek.

He launches into a bizarre, rambling monologue, full of convoluted conspiracies involving the government, the 1919 Black Sox, the Middle East, and how it's impossible to cook eggs properly in an iron pan.

There may be truths in there, but it would take a lifetime to sort them out.

I may as well burn the church down. All the mobs'll be pissed, but watching it burn will make me feel better.
He doesn't deserve to be a priest! I take his rosary.
I give him a little love tap.
I ask that he pray for me.

Stats posted:

Deals secured.

Cash money.

The cops on your tail.

Jumpin' the Gun: 38%

Respect: 58%

Take it to the Mattresses!: 56% (-2)

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

It sounds like he needs a love tap.

Corzanth
Apr 8, 2011

Rawr!
Uh... let's burn down the sandcastle church.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I can do this poo poo better than you. Give me your rosary!

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

Tap an untapped Cleric: gain love until end of turn.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
We've already said we're going to do better than the rest, let's just ask the poor sap to pray for us and go on our way.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Corzanth posted:

Uh... let's burn down the sandcastle church.

yeah do this

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Onean posted:

We've already said we're going to do better than the rest, let's just ask the poor sap to pray for us and go on our way.

This.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

This really feels like our character is out of her little mind on drugs, even before the tiger-piss incident. Anyway, we should tell him to pray for us and move on.

Happy Blue
Oct 18, 2012
Pray for us.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice

quote:

You kneel beside the Father Confessor, and he leads you in a Hail Mary.

When you have finished, he makes the sign of the cross over you. After a moment's further thought, he reaches up to his neck and lifts his rosary over his head. He places it around your neck. You thank him fervently.

"Go with God, my daughter."

You stand and make your way out of the Cathedral.

quote:

The darkness of the early morning greets you again in all its festive insanity—parades in the distance; steamboats blowing their early morning horns; drunks and other users on the street; and most of all, the neon sign on top of the Girls Girls Girls revue, blinking in the darkness just a block away.

Chapter Seven: A Private Show posted:

Approaching the revue is easy. It's getting inside that might be more complicated.

As you walk up to the door, the security guys give you the hairy eyeball and demand to see your ID. You flash them your fake ID card. After a sloppy search that would make the coppers down at the station laugh, they waste even more time by quizzing you about your bloody clothes and your hat. After convincing them that your hat is an extension of you and it's only respectful to allow you to wear it inside, they finally decide to let you in.

quote:

Inside the revue are some of the most powerful men inside and outside of NOLA. A sea of well-dressed bankers, pimps, drug lords, CEOs, and politicians watch with hungry eyes as women undulate on stage under red lights while a live jazz band provides the mood music. Benjamins migrate from wallets to the hands of scantily dressed servers as bottles are cracked open and ice clinks in glasses.

The Pitt has done well for himself. Thanks to The Dragon, of course.

There are almost no women in the joint other than the ones on stage or serving tables. The lack of women in the audience makes your femininity stick out like a sore thumb. A simple pull of your hat fixes the issue for the most part.

Still covered in river water, blood, and sweat, you look like someone who doesn't belong here. You avoid eye contact with the people passing and you slide into a corner to survey the situation.

A server comes up to you for a drink order, and you ask her who is in charge. She looks you up and down.

"What's it to you?"

She puts her hand out and you place a Benjamin on her palm. She looks at you like you're a carton of milk gone sour, so you up it to a grand. She smiles, pocketing the money. She points to a Marilyn Monroe lookalike sitting on the lap of an older gentleman. "That's Lulu. She's in charge of the girls." You approach Lulu as the customer tickles her. She bursts into laughter and looks up just in time to see you coming. Slapping him on the shoulder in a playful manner that would rival the true Monroe, she stands and smooths out her dress. You let her know she's the one you've been instructed to talk to. The music is so loud you practically have to yell in her ear.

In a drunken slur, she tells you her name is Lulu Luscious, queen of the performers in this joint. She offers a private show in the back of the revue.

Go with her. Finding Luke is top priority right now.
Agree, but show her the sawtooth. Cooperation from her is key.
Refuse, then follow her. I will jump her when she's out of sight of the bouncers.

Stats posted:

Deals secured.

Juice: 6600 (-1000)
Cash money.

The cops on your tail.

Jumpin' the Gun: 35% (-3)

Remorse: 46%
Desire for repentance.

Respect: 58%

Take it to the Mattresses!: 56%

Remorse is a stat that has been hidden until... well, it's appeared now, but the code makes it seem like it's supposed to show up when we enter the church. Either way, we've been altering Remorse since near the beginning of the game, and it's had the opportunity to change some outcomes as well. It's only now that we can actually see that it is there.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Jump her, show no remorse!

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Let's go with her.

This will either end super awkwardly or super bad for us.

Either way, it will be highly entertaining!

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Shei-kun posted:

Let's go with her.

This will either end super awkwardly or super bad for us.

Either way, it will be highly entertaining!

I'm thinking this is the way to go.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

Look at my sawtooth. It's nice and sharp and not buried in your vital organs. Let's keep it that way, shall we?

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice

quote:

She takes your hand and leads you into the dark bowels of the revue. The sounds of the crowd fade as you as you wander through the complicated maze of corridors, passing cameras that follow your every move.

She takes you into a red-washed room with white vinyl seats.

quote:

Lulu shoves you toward the vinyl seats. She stumbles over to the doorway in her transparent stilettos and pulls the curtains closed.

Discarding the pretense of drunkenness, she addresses you clearly. "It's gonna cost you," Lulu says, rubbing her fingers together. "This place is real classy. Five large is the going rate."

Ouch.

With a smile, you whisper a few sweet nothings in her ear and convince her to cut her demand in half. Lulu Luscious turns around and faces you. Her high pitched voice wavers as she almost trips over her own feet.

"I don't generally do dances for dames around here. As you can tell there's a serious lack of 'em."

Grabbing her hand, you make her sit down and tell her that what's at stake is much larger than everyone in this revue put together. You sell it to her, hard.

quote:

Lulu bursts into tears and tells you she's afraid for her life. The Pitt himself is gonna slit her throat if she doesn't delay you here.

Wow. The Pitt thinks I'm dumb enough to fall for this skirt's waterworks?
It's a pretty good tactic, but I'm a bit smarter than that.
I like it—it buys me some time, and I've gotten deeper into the revue.
Seeing Lulu so scared makes me sick. The mob life is really starting to get to me.

Stats posted:

Contracts: 3 (+1)
Deals secured.

Juice: 4100 (-2500)
Cash money.

The cops on your tail.

Jumpin' the Gun: 35%

Remorse: 46%
Desire for repentance.

Respect: 56% (-2)

Take it to the Mattresses!: 56%

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I'd like to think we're a bit smarter than that.

Then again, we did steal a horse. :shrug:

• Locked thread