Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do Japanese books exist?
yes
no
chihayafuru is the closest the japanese will ever get to true art
View Results

• Locked thread
The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Davincie posted:

you can't do a bingo with after dark, unless im forgetting a lot

I recently read it and I think you're right on that one. After Dark doesn't have much of what the bingo thing does.

I've been on a Murakami binge after introducing myself to him with IQ84, and so far I've also read After Dark, Tsukuru Tazaki, and am reading Wind-Up Bird Chronicles right now. He definitely likes to repeat some of the same kind of motif's in his work, but I always feel like he's saying different things with all of them so I'm totally okay with that and they've all been incredibly fascinating reads since I started in February.

If anybody should make a bingo card, make one for Makoto Shinkai.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forcyte
Nov 22, 2013
I'm another recent fan of Murakami after discovering him via Tsukuru Tazaki in the new books section of my local library. Currently reading Wind-Up Bird Chronicles.

With the temporary lifting of the paywall at the New Yorker, a few of his short stories are currently accessible online. Here's a link:

http://www.openculture.com/2014/08/read-five-stories-by-haruki-murakami-free-online.html

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Are the Gundam novels actually good reading, or are they mostly just for fans? I've been looking for decent military SF that isn't written by people with Heinlein-level war-boners so they sound like a good candidate.

I've only read the first one, and I thought it was pretty good.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Seconding "Kitchen" by Banana Yoshimoto. It's a relatively quick read, but emotionally resonant.

I'm a big fan of the older Japanese horror lit, with Edogawa Ranpo coming up with some really interesting concepts. There's also "Out" by Kirino Natuso, which is kind of an urban horror without the supernatural elements.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

The Black Stones posted:

If anybody should make a bingo card, make one for Makoto Shinkai.

Eh, it's not like the dude's ever been prized for his writing skills, his stuff is just really really pretty and technically impressive.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Neeksy posted:

Seconding "Kitchen" by Banana Yoshimoto. It's a relatively quick read, but emotionally resonant.

I'm a big fan of the older Japanese horror lit, with Edogawa Ranpo coming up with some really interesting concepts. There's also "Out" by Kirino Natuso, which is kind of an urban horror without the supernatural elements.

I sound like a broken record, but read Junichiro Tanizaki, all of his stories are about sexually menacing women that want to gently caress you to death

Case in point, The Tattooer

Outer Science
Dec 21, 2008

Daisangen

gonna start norwegian wood this week, let's see how many i hit

also random book rec: Kokoro by natsume soseki

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Outer Science posted:

gonna start norwegian wood this week, let's see how many i hit

also random book rec: Kokoro by natsume soseki

http://www.harkavagrant.com/index.php?id=359

Outer Science
Dec 21, 2008

Daisangen
accurate

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
agreed

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

Smoking Crow posted:

I sound like a broken record, but read Junichiro Tanizaki, all of his stories are about sexually menacing women that want to gently caress you to death

Case in point, The Tattooer

I'm going to read that after I'm done with kitchen.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

K. Flaps posted:

I'm going to read that after I'm done with kitchen.

Read Arrowroot or Naomi

Arrowroot is about a boy getting a taste of real (read: mythological) Japan out in the country

Naomi is about a modern woman in the taisho period and by that i mean a woman who dresses western and fucks a lot of men while her husband watches

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

talking books and anime, has anyone ever seen aoi bungaku? its a series that adapts 6 different books of which i've only read run, melos! (and mostly because its short and i like the kashiwa daisuke song named after it). i was wondering if its any good

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Davincie posted:

talking books and anime, has anyone ever seen aoi bungaku? its a series that adapts 6 different books of which i've only read run, melos! (and mostly because its short and i like the kashiwa daisuke song named after it). i was wondering if its any good

Yes, it was actually Shin Megami Tensei IV Aoi Bungaku that made me want to read more Japanese books without pictures. Especially Osamu Dazai's bibliography.

You know? Despite having read all of his books and him being my favorite modern Japanese writer, I can't help but chuckle about this bingo being a thing.

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

think there was a simulwatch of it

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Butt Frosted Cake posted:

think there was a simulwatch of it

Sure was, if you have archives you can read the thread here (we watched it alongside Gunbuster)
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3489193

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

I've started reading journey to the west because I'm too poor to afford dragon ball xenoverse

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Butt Frosted Cake posted:

I've started reading journey to the west because I'm too poor to afford dragon ball xenoverse

That's Chinese doesn't count

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Have any of you read Parasite Eve? Is it good?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Smoking Crow posted:

Have any of you read Parasite Eve? Is it good?
it's really bad

like, the plot is way worse than the game's

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Endorph posted:

it's really bad

like, the plot is way worse than the game's

How

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I saw the film and it was bad.

It's probably less dumb than The Third Birthday though.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

A) the translation is very bad. actual sentence: 'there were data on file'

B) tons of the book is just various medical explanations. like a five page diatribe on japan's attitudes towards kidney transplants. it's technobabble, the book. You know how in the game Eve would yell about mitochondria? imagine if that happened, but also the story stopped to explain what mitochondria were, in excruciating detail. it literally feels like a medical textbook at times. in spite of this, the story still feels completely disconnected from reality. there's no explanation of all the magic bullshit that actually makes any sense, so it's still just 'basically magic.' It's the worst of both worlds, basically.

like the dude explains mitochondria in an exact medical sense, and then has some lady make poo poo catch on fire and somehow these two things are supposed to be related.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

my mom is a nurse and i showed the book to her and she made this face: :staredog:

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

The book was bad, all you need is kill was worse than the firm. I don't remember what happened in loups garou other than the twist at th end

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

All I remember about parasite eve was that stuff kinda happens and eventually theres a femblob that makes itself a clit to finger

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

the all you need is kill manga was decent, but the western comic is incredibly ugly and manages to gently caress so much up. i've had anime haters seriously call it better looking that the manga though which was a serious lol. good 3/4ths of a movie though

wait i got confused on which thread this is, im talking about the manga here and not the ln

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Davincie posted:

the all you need is kill manga was decent, but the western comic is incredibly ugly and manages to gently caress so much up. i've had anime haters seriously call it better looking that the manga though which was a serious lol. good 3/4ths of a movie though

wait i got confused on which thread this is, im talking about the manga here and not the ln

:whitewater:

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

What is that foot standing on.

e: this goes for all the feet in that image.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Endorph posted:

A) the translation is very bad. actual sentence: 'there were data on file'

B) tons of the book is just various medical explanations. like a five page diatribe on japan's attitudes towards kidney transplants. it's technobabble, the book. You know how in the game Eve would yell about mitochondria? imagine if that happened, but also the story stopped to explain what mitochondria were, in excruciating detail. it literally feels like a medical textbook at times. in spite of this, the story still feels completely disconnected from reality. there's no explanation of all the magic bullshit that actually makes any sense, so it's still just 'basically magic.' It's the worst of both worlds, basically.

like the dude explains mitochondria in an exact medical sense, and then has some lady make poo poo catch on fire and somehow these two things are supposed to be related.

I read that it's better in Japanese and that the medical references are easier to parse

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i could see it being better in japanese, because like i said the translation is poo poo, but the 'tons of medical explanations that don't really relate to anything' problem seems like it'd be there either way.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Endorph posted:

i could see it being better in japanese, because like i said the translation is poo poo, but the 'tons of medical explanations that don't really relate to anything' problem seems like it'd be there either way.

It won awards in Japan so it has to be bettet

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Teh japs love clitfingering, presumably

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Namtab posted:

Teh japs love clitfingering, presumably

Hell, so do I.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

same

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
I finished Kitchen so now I'm going to make this post and then click on my post history in this thread to find the post of Crow I quoted with recs for what I should read next.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Smoking Crow posted:

Hell, so do I.

good

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Smoking Crow posted:

It won awards in Japan so it has to be bettet
you know what else won awards?

the fault in our stars

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Endorph posted:

you know what else won awards?

the fault in our stars

I like the guy who wrote that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Endorph posted:

eh, ill peep the [Brave Story] anime instead

Allarion posted:

Never seen it. Heard it has trippy animation and stuff. It got a psp rpg too, which follows a different kid with different problems I think

No idea about the psp rpg, but the movie doesn't really play up Wataru's trauma about the divorce. There's a point in the book where Wataru meets his dad after the poo poo went down, and they hash out why the divorce happened. The movie skips straight to the mom's suicide attempt and to Wataru going to Vision. It's more focused on the fantasy world than the real, compared to the book, and I feel that's to its detriment.

• Locked thread