Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Samovar posted:

Well, no matter how lovely MK4 looks, it can't ever be as bad as Mortal Kombat, the cartoon for children.

Yes.

That really existed.

IT'S KOMBAT TIME!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Defenders of the Realm did give us Quan Chi, though. YMMV whether or not that's a good thing (personally I've never been a fan, although his MK4 fatality owns and Richard Divizio was great when he played him in MK Mythologies), but it did.

Yvershek
Nov 15, 2000

and there are no
diamonds in the
mine

Doc Morbid posted:

although his MK4 fatality owns

Only thing I remember from that terrible game. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUpkXP5cN_Y

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011

TCat posted:

I find it weird whenever people say this anymore.

There was literally a cartoon for children of all sorts of poo poo there shouldn't be cartoons for children for.

Conan. James Bond. Indianna Jones. Mortal Kombat. Darkstalkers. Street Fighter.

Etc. Hell even TMNT by technicality if you've ever seen the original comics seems like it's not the best idea for a children's cartoon.

Even Rambo had a short-lived cartoon and toy line.

Mr Muggy
Mar 30, 2010

I'm just gonna do this for about two minutes, okay?

Doc Morbid posted:

Well, for one it could be the in-engine version of the cutscene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QW765DsN6Z0

And they say video games can never be art.

...i stand corrected.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

Doc Morbid posted:

Defenders of the Realm did give us Quan Chi, though. YMMV whether or not that's a good thing (personally I've never been a fan, although his MK4 fatality owns and Richard Divizio was great when he played him in MK Mythologies), but it did.
Wait, really?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Really. He showed up in the series a year before he was featured in any games. I was surprised too when I found out.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Yvershek posted:

The endings of MK4 are something else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNkRvcUn6VM

I can't believe this is real. That's the most unintentionally funny thing I've seen in a very long time. Did they just round up whoever was at the office to do the voice acting, or did someone actually get paid for that?

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
So I decided to drag up my copy (okay it's a digital copy and it's already downloaded to my system but whatever) of MK9 and decided to play along with the story.

Only to find out I'm several chapters ahead and you can't restart story mode until you beat story mode.

So I guess I'll be waiting a little bit.

midwifecrisis
Jul 5, 2005

oh, have I got some GREAT news for you!

For some reason I thought Jax showed up in the background of one of the stages in the original game, but I can't find any pictures or evidence of it. Does anyone know about this?

ParanoidInc
Apr 27, 2013

You dun scuffed me for the last time you no-good Zayn boy!
Fun Shoe
I have to say, I love how even though Johnny Cage is this pompous jackass he's not a bad guy at all and finds the idea of killing a dude in a martial arts tournament as repulsive as anyone else would and then proceeds to be one of the main fighters for the good guys, no matter how bad it gets. He's the real drat hero of the franchise.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Yvershek posted:

The endings of MK4 are something else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNkRvcUn6VM

Just wow. Also I take it this wasn't the canon ending, or does Sonja somehow survive being flung off a big cliff?
Maybe by landing breast first?

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puņ essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Chuu posted:

I can't believe this is real. That's the most unintentionally funny thing I've seen in a very long time. Did they just round up whoever was at the office to do the voice acting, or did someone actually get paid for that?

I wouldn't be surprised if it was literally "my friend Bill will do it for a McDonalds breakfast". In all fairness to them, I'm trying to think of any games from the N64 era that had quality (if any) voice acting, and nothing leaps to mind. It wasn't something game developers planned or budgeted for until fairly recently.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
Can we start keeping a "Raiden Fuckup Count?" because oh my god, it is going to get high.

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

...It's the thought that counts, right?

FullLeatherJacket posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if it was literally "my friend Bill will do it for a McDonalds breakfast". In all fairness to them, I'm trying to think of any games from the N64 era that had quality (if any) voice acting, and nothing leaps to mind. It wasn't something game developers planned or budgeted for until fairly recently.
Not necessarily N64, but...Broken Helix on PSX was released in '97 and managed to get some good acting going on. Metal Gear Solid was during this time period too. I suppose as far as the actual N64 goes, there'd be Perfect Dark (arguably) and Conker's Bad Fur Day, but that one is post-2000 and the next generation was underway. You could find a lot more titles developed for PC with substantially higher quality acting around the era, though. I'm pretty Diablo counts as "N64-era", considering there was even a PSX port of that one.

So, during the time period, sure. Plenty of quality acting could be found if you went looking for it. But on N64 itself...:(

legoman727 posted:

Can we start keeping a "Raiden Fuckup Count?" because oh my god, it is going to get high.
Whether this turns into a thing or not, it has to start at 1. He hosed up already by losing to Shao Kahn in the introduction! :v:

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

legoman727 posted:

I'm picturing something like the "Krillin Owned Count" from DBZ Abridged, so it shows up in the corner of the screen with a *ding!* sound.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Seiren posted:

Whether this turns into a thing or not, it has to start at 1. He hosed up already by losing to Shao Kahn in the introduction! :v:

Shao Kahn is the Triple H of Mortal Kombat. There's no real good reason why he's as strong as he is, he's not particularly interesting, he constantly wants to extend his authority for no practical reason, and if the plot needs him to be stronger than anyone else ever, then god drat it he will be.

He even has a loving sledgehammer.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
You need to show the HHH outfit from last year's mania, where he was LITERALLY Shao Khan. It was beautiful.

legoman727 fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Apr 13, 2015

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

legoman727 posted:

You need to show the HHH outfit from last year's mania, where he was LITERALLY Shao Khan. It was beautiful.

Hahahaha I didn't see Mania last year. This is beautiful.

Arsonist Daria fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Apr 13, 2015

TCat
Oct 10, 2012

I'll save you the time and call myself a loser
Well HHH at least has the excuse of getting paid poo poo tons of money for being in the bad writing.

Shao Kahn is just a generic evil conqueror that wants to own everything.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

TCat posted:

Well HHH at least has the excuse of getting paid poo poo tons of money for being in the bad writing.

HHH gets paid money to be in his lovely writing that other people desperately try to make less bad.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

TCat posted:

This is Mortal Kombat. An evil conqueror who wants to own everything because he's an evil conqueror who wants to own everything is all the depth I for one expect and require of villains. See also Scorpion being a dick because, well, he's a dick.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

ParanoidInc posted:

I have to say, I love how even though Johnny Cage is this pompous jackass he's not a bad guy at all and finds the idea of killing a dude in a martial arts tournament as repulsive as anyone else would and then proceeds to be one of the main fighters for the good guys, no matter how bad it gets. He's the real drat hero of the franchise.

legoman727 posted:

Some MK characters, especially Johnny Cage, would fit right in with the WWE. As luck would have it, there's something even better called Video Game Championship wrestling, here's Cage beating up Dan Hibiki: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzqxoU9Y6kc

And if you take that song linked earlier and time it perfectly to a few different entrance animations, you get something absolutely amazing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsRgxi8yeIA

Silent Potato
Sep 7, 2011

Kibayasu posted:

Some MK characters, especially Johnny Cage, would fit right in with the WWE. As luck would have it, there's something even better called Video Game Championship wrestling, here's Cage beating up Dan Hibiki: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzqxoU9Y6kc

And if you take that song linked earlier and time it perfectly to a few different entrance animations, you get something absolutely amazing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsRgxi8yeIA

This got posted earlier in the thread but really, that entrance doesn't get old so who cares.

Rabidredneck
Oct 30, 2010

Not pleasant when angered.

Quiet Python posted:

Even Rambo had a short-lived cartoon and toy line.

And to be fair, the Conan the Adventurer series was not afraid to have some pretty serious plot points occur. Some real nightmare fuel in that show.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Weavered posted:

Just wow. Also I take it this wasn't the canon ending, or does Sonja somehow survive being flung off a big cliff?
Maybe by landing breast first?

The Jarek ending is the same as Jax's up to the point he smashes the radio, where it just cuts out. The Sonya ending starts the same way, but Jarek falls off the cliff and dies and Sonya survives, and Jax doesn't show up. Apparently the canon ending is that all three survive though, so I guess none of that actually happens.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

I've never played it but MK4 seems like sort of a mess.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Nobody quite knew what they were doing back then and it shows. MK4 is just a symptom of the same "gotta use 3D" trend that brought you the six hundred Tekken knockoffs on the PSOne and the Street Fighter EX games.

Cador_2004
Oct 13, 2012
So are you doing the commentary in post or during the video? If it's the latter I can't imagine how difficult the inevitable Shao Khan fights will be trying to talk while fighting.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

kalonZombie posted:

I've never played it but MK4 seems like sort of a mess.

It comes from an era of video game design where everyone was trying to bring every franchise into 3D, without stopping to think if they should.

AppropriateUser
Feb 17, 2012

Seiren posted:

Turns out things wouldn't be much better if he had won.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnH7urRIa78

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Electrical healing powers. Hmm. I guess it'd be cheating if he could make his own life bar lengthen.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Tiggum posted:

The Jarek ending is the same as Jax's up to the point he smashes the radio, where it just cuts out. The Sonya ending starts the same way, but Jarek falls off the cliff and dies and Sonya survives, and Jax doesn't show up. Apparently the canon ending is that all three survive though, so I guess none of that actually happens.

It's hard to tell what's canon and what doesn't even matter since Armageddon went out of its way to say that everyone (except Liu Kang) was alive in time for the big brawl. Jarek isn't even interesting. The whole point of him was just "Well, we killed Kano, so now we have this guy." What's weird to me is that MK4 actually has pretty good reviews across the board. I don't remember it being particularly good.

IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

Fucking technology...

At least I HAVE THIS!
God this game. I just bought it like two days ago with the steam sale and I am terrible at fighting games why did I do this.

Speaking of loving Shao Kahn, fighting him in story mode is a pain in the rear end!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

SonicRulez posted:

It's hard to tell what's canon and what doesn't even matter since Armageddon went out of its way to say that everyone (except Liu Kang) was alive in time for the big brawl. Jarek isn't even interesting. The whole point of him was just "Well, we killed Kano, so now we have this guy." What's weird to me is that MK4 actually has pretty good reviews across the board. I don't remember it being particularly good.

As someone who played it at the time, it was OK. The 3D was clearly a gimmick - all you could really do with it was sidestep projectiles - but it had saome neat ideas, like the weapons and the scenes with rocks you could pick up and throw at your opponent. I think the new characters were generally poo poo, and the weapons weren't actually particularly useful in most cases; Sub-Zero's gave you an instant freeze attack which was way overpowered and some characters had projectile ones that were usable, but mostly you'd waste time doing the weapon combo only to have it almost instantly kicked out of your hands.

Mortal Kombat Trilogy was still better, in terms of appearance, character roster, even story, but MK4 tried some things and ended up with a game that was decent fun to play, even if it did look like arse and introduced a bunch of new characters no one gave a poo poo about.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

IBlameRoadSuess posted:

God this game. I just bought it like two days ago with the steam sale and I am terrible at fighting games why did I do this.

Speaking of loving Shao Kahn, fighting him in story mode is a pain in the rear end!

This happens in like every mortal kombat game forever but yes I agree if you're not very good at fighting games it's very annoying

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

I only ever beat Shao Khan in Mortal Kombat Trilogy once. I felt like such a big drat hero.

Oddly enough I don't think I ever touched the game again after that. Huh...

Oh yeah, happy MKX day!

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."

Cador_2004 posted:

So are you doing the commentary in post or during the video? If it's the latter I can't imagine how difficult the inevitable Shao Khan fights will be trying to talk while fighting.

I do commentary during the video, though occasionally I cheat and re-record a sentence in post if it came out weird or if I run out of time to say something before the fight ends. LP tricks revealed!

So yeah, Shao Khan commentary will probably devolve into a string of expletives. In fact I am sure that will happen during a number of fights.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

your evil twin posted:

So yeah, Shao Khan commentary will probably devolve into a string of expletives. In fact I am sure that will happen during a number of fights.
The true Mortal Kombat experience! :v:

I played through the MKX story mode this morning, and on more than one occasion I found myself going "loving HELL WHAT A GODDAMN WANKER, HE DOESN'T GIVE A poo poo, HOW THE gently caress IS THIS EVEN FAIR!?"

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Apr 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
I have seen some other games that let computers pull out moves that required it to be a continuation for the player or pull out moves during the cool down time when no inputs do anything when a human is playing that character.

• Locked thread