Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I hate it when the computer can do things the human player can't do. While this doesn't really apply to MK in particular, there are quite a few games that can have a computer character do a long walk/run forward and then instantly pull up a charge move.

MK's cheating, of course, has traditionally been button input reading. But hey! At least that's just psychic ability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."
I'll be posting the Sonya and Kano fatality videos in a few hours. :commissar:

Doc Morbid posted:

You know, I really wish you could turn off the cosmetic damage in this game. It is disabled in story mode, so I assume it wouldn't be too hard to implement an option for those of us who are tired of the characters always looking like they got mauled by a bear.

I mean, sure, this is Mortal Kombat so it makes sense, but I wish there was a toggle or even a mod for the PC version.

Yeah, in story mode they disable the cosmetic damage so you don't end up with characters being magically healed (and clothes repaired) in the movie sequences. Would be nice if that was an option that could be enabled in other modes too. (The cosmetic damage is awesome, but options are always good.)

I wanted to have the characters looking uninjured for the fatality videos (so all the blood and gore comes just from the fatality itself). So the way I do them is to set the number of rounds to 1, round timer to 30 seconds, then kick the opponent just a couple of times in the chest/legs, not enough to cause visible damage. I then take a hit (to avoid all the fatality videos saying "Flawless Victory"). Then I wait for the timer to expire. More LP trcks revealed!

Doc Morbid posted:

e2: the torrent for the better-quality videos in the OP doesn't seem to be working

Oh I'll double check that tonight. Do you mean the link itself isn't working, or that the torrent has trouble getting connections? I found it to be extremely hit-and-miss, guess very few people seeding it, it only worked occasionally at certain random times of the day.

CJacobs posted:

Holy crap, that clutch.

Hahaha yeah I was completely oblivious to the health situation at the end of that fight, I can't believe I managed to pull that off. (I'm impressed with myself that I managed to beat Kitana and Jade first time. The 2 v 1 fights are a nightmare...)

Then in the following fight against Kano I was all "ooh it's getting close" just due to Kano's health being briefly gaining the lead. Heh.

IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

Fucking technology...

At least I HAVE THIS!

your evil twin posted:

Hahaha yeah I was completely oblivious to the health situation at the end of that fight, I can't believe I managed to pull that off. (I'm impressed with myself that I managed to beat Kitana and Jade first time. The 2 v 1 fights are a nightmare...)

Then in the following fight against Kano I was all "ooh it's getting close" just due to Kano's health being briefly gaining the lead. Heh.

Oh joy... progress past where I was in the story a little bit further and bam 2v1 Sub Zero vs. Goro and Kintaro. :suicide: gently caress this game so hard. Why do I have such fun with it? :negative:

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

The funniest thing about the cosmetic damage is all the "sexy" posés most of the female cast show off after they win, except bloodied and bruised as hell. A wee bit unsettling at times :stare:

I've yet to beat the big man himself, I'm just terrible at dodging/blocking at the right time and I've yet to figure out how to do ranged attacks his close combat & invul abilities are buuuuullllllshit.

IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

Fucking technology...

At least I HAVE THIS!

Pimpmust posted:

The funniest thing about the cosmetic damage is all the "sexy" posés most of the female cast show off after they win, except bloodied and bruised as hell. A wee bit unsettling at times :stare:

I've yet to beat the big man himself, I'm just terrible at dodging/blocking at the right time and I've yet to figure out how to do ranged attacks his close combat & invul abilities are buuuuullllllshit.

Bicycle kick stuns him to hell if you can land it at the right time. I basically used that combined with a healthy dose of light/heavy punch combos to stun him to death. When it worked I was so glad. The eighty other times it didn't work, well... :suicide:

The fact that his X-ray attack does literally 53% of your health is utter bull as well. He and the other "boss invulnerability" characters like Goro and Kintaro hit way too hard considering their other advantages.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
The motto of fighting games, "If you can't figure out how to make it hard make it bullshit."

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Hey, Evil Twin, there's a Kombat Kode you can use to turn off battle damage when you record fatalities. Should be 900 900

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Pimpmust posted:

Yeah, I think if you were gonna get your cultural-commentary on about MK9, the most hosed-up thing about the game is that it's simultaneously the "sexiest" and most spectacularly violent of the MKs up to this point. I would be much more comfortable with the game if, for example, the jiggle physics got turned off during fatalities.

It wouldn't surprise me if that was what spurred the alteration to character design in MKX.

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

SONYA BLADE FATALITIES

Sonya finally gets revenge on Kano! All of Sonya's Fatalities... including her Fatality from the Mortal Kombat movie! Also includes Raiden doing a Babality on her, to teach her a lesson about being rash enough to challenge a Thunder God.

KANO FATALITIES

Kano's Fatalities performed on Sonya Blade, both inspired by Kano's original Heart Rip in MK1. Also Johnny shows off Kano's Babality.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I'm not sure if I prefer her first fatality or his second.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
I'm disappointed they didn't bring Christopher Lambert in to do Raiden.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

your evil twin posted:

Oh I'll double check that tonight. Do you mean the link itself isn't working, or that the torrent has trouble getting connections? I found it to be extremely hit-and-miss, guess very few people seeding it, it only worked occasionally at certain random times of the day.
The torrent wasn't getting any connections. Fortunately, some guy had uploaded .7z files of the whole thing, so I got those instead.

edit: As for the cosmetic damage, they seem to have really toned it down in MKX. The characters get some cuts and bruises, as well as blood and dirt splattered on them, but your character is no longer missing half his flesh (or in the case of the ladies, half her flesh and clothing) after a round.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Apr 15, 2015

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008

your evil twin posted:

SONYA BLADE FATALITIES

Sonya finally gets revenge on Kano! All of Sonya's Fatalities... including her Fatality from the Mortal Kombat movie! Also includes Raiden doing a Babality on her, to teach her a lesson about being rash enough to challenge a Thunder God.

Is it just me or does it look like her arms are coming out of her sockets when she does the second one?

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

Doc Morbid posted:

edit: As for the cosmetic damage, they seem to have really toned it down in MKX. The characters get some cuts and bruises, as well as blood and dirt splattered on them, but your character is no longer missing half his flesh (or in the case of the ladies, half her flesh and clothing) after a round.

I appreciate this, but at the same time I miss how comical it could get, especially with the ninjas and how much of their face mask just dangles off of them.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

your evil twin posted:

SONYA BLADE FATALITIES

Agent 47 should sue.

Silent Potato
Sep 7, 2011

Not a big fan of either of Sonya's fatalities.

Kano's babality is great, mostly because he still has the goatee.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

kalonZombie posted:

I only ever beat Shao Khan in Mortal Kombat Trilogy once. I felt like such a big drat hero.
IIRC the easiest way was to use play as Liu Kang and just spam low fireball. For some reason, Shao Khan didn't seem to know how to defend against that at all, he'd just keep walking forward and getting knocked back until he died.

Silent Potato posted:

Not a big fan of either of Sonya's fatalities.
The rip in half one just doesn't make sense, and the garrotte would be much better without the flip, just have her come up from behind them.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Tiggum posted:

The rip in half one just doesn't make sense,
I was hoping I wasn't the only one who noticed that.

Kano's second fatality makes up for it though, because that's just gloriously goofy.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Maaan, I haven't kept up with the MK mythos since like, Deadly Alliance. But I used to be such an Mortal Kombat NERD. I even have the promotional comics stashed away somewhere. This thread made me go "catch up" at like youtube and the MK wiki.

Question: I thought this only dealt with the first three games chronologically? If so, what's Quan Chi doing there? Though I do like Cyrax pre-cyborgized there with Sub-Zero.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Choco1980 posted:

Maaan, I haven't kept up with the MK mythos since like, Deadly Alliance. But I used to be such an Mortal Kombat NERD. I even have the promotional comics stashed away somewhere. This thread made me go "catch up" at like youtube and the MK wiki.

Question: I thought this only dealt with the first three games chronologically? If so, what's Quan Chi doing there? Though I do like Cyrax pre-cyborgized there with Sub-Zero.

Quan Chi's there because time travel is such a lovely excuse for retcons in the name of character development. Of course, there's a rather high probability that either he or Shinnok went back in time as well, which is a theory that goes a long way towards explaining why Raidens missteps end so disastrously.

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

Did you ever beat Canary Mary? No! I haven't even PLAYED Bioshock Infinite!
REDACTED. Apparently I'm not allowed to post spoilers for a 4 year old game even if I use spoiler tags.

ArctheNomad fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Apr 15, 2015

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

GMArcturus could you edit your post as you have a massive spoiler in there; sure its covered in a spoiler tag but you're talking about the ending of the game.

With this LP we have a rather weird situation when it comes to spoilers. I could go crazy extreme and ask people to not talk about Scorpion and Sub-Zero's relationship to avoid spoiling it for anyone that is new to MK. (Since this is a reboot/retelling of MK1, 2 and 3 the game's story will cover that stuff in due course.) But on the other hand this is also the NINTH Mortal Kombat game, it is both a reboot AND a sequel, and so a lot of stuff could come under "you should already know this".

(And people have already posted videos of Scorpion and Sub Zero's endings from MK4 so pretty sure most of the cats are already out of the bags anyway.)

But when it comes to upcoming twists in MK9's story - the things that are twists for both newbies and veterans - those are definitely spoilers and I'd like to avoid those.

Anyway, there's no time travel stuff required to explain Quan Chi's presence. The spin-off game Mortal Kombat Mythologies: Sub-Zero made Quan Chi an integral part of Scorpion and Sub Zero's backstory prior to the events of MK1. The next chapter is Scorpion's so I shall soon be talking about all that stuff!

your evil twin fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Apr 15, 2015

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

GMArcturus posted:

See, the only problem I have with your theory there is that would have required Shinnok or Quan Chi to be alive during the opening cinematic of MK9 and that was quite clearly not the case.

:ssh: Shinnok was a body double puppet in Armageddon and the actual Shinnok was chilling at home for the entire game. This isn't spoilers, it's flat spelled out in that game.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

GMArcturus posted:

See, the only problem I have with your theory there is that would have required Shinnok or Quan Chi to be alive during the opening cinematic of MK9 and that was quite clearly not the case. Raiden and Shao Khan were the last two alive and they neither of those two could have possibly known beforehand what was going to happen.

Not necessarily. Raiden died at the end of the prologue, but that didn't stop him--so they coulda sent the message before they died, too. They're not trying to stop who won, they're trying to win themselves, so knowing who won isn't necessary.

IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

Fucking technology...

At least I HAVE THIS!
So apparently Shao Khan's X-ray does more damage than I originally thought. In order to do his X-ray, he hits you with his hammer really hard doing about ~15% damage on top of the 53% he does with the actual move. So Shao Khan can one hit kill you from over 75% of your health. And it's unblockable. And you have a very limited window with which to jump away/over/dodge.

Thanks a bunch NetherRealm Studios, you're all class. :mad:

ParanoidInc
Apr 27, 2013

You dun scuffed me for the last time you no-good Zayn boy!
Fun Shoe

IBlameRoadSuess posted:

So apparently Shao Khan's X-ray does more damage than I originally thought. In order to do his X-ray, he hits you with his hammer really hard doing about ~15% damage on top of the 53% he does with the actual move. So Shao Khan can one hit kill you from over 75% of your health. And it's unblockable. And you have a very limited window with which to jump away/over/dodge.

Thanks a bunch NetherRealm Studios, you're all class. :mad:

I will never get tired of Fighting Game Final Bosses and they remain to be the one thing that Arcsys is bad at doing compared to their competitors. I love it when after 10 mostly-fair matches against even AI opponents you just get a wall of bullshit jumped on you. You wanna hit Shao? gently caress you, half of his moves have armor. Oh, you're beating him? gently caress you, here's an attack that does almost all of your health. It's adorable and makes me feel like a kid in an arcade all over again.

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

GMArcturus posted:

REDACTED. Apparently I'm not allowed to post spoilers for a 4 year old game even if I use spoiler tags.

Sorry you felt the need to delete the entire post, it was just the one sentence you put in spoiler tags that was the problem. Sure, it was in spoiler tags, but you were describing a plot twist from the end of the game. Until people mouse over your spoiler tag people have no idea how serious the spoiler is.

There's a big difference between that bit where Quan Chi and Shang Tsung form a "deadly alliance" cracks me up and of course it all makes sense when you know that Bruce Willis was a ghost all along.

In the Let's Play subforum, 90% of the games being LPd are old games. Some of them are decades old. And half the people following the threads have never experienced those games.

I didn't put a "no spoilers" warning in the intro because knowledge of the previous MK games spoils 80% of the story anyway, but I never anticipated someone just casually revealing the ending. I'm adding a spoiler warning now.

Mr. Soop
Feb 18, 2011

Bonsai Guy

ParanoidInc posted:

I will never get tired of Fighting Game Final Bosses and they remain to be the one thing that Arcsys is bad at doing compared to their competitors. I love it when after 10 mostly-fair matches against even AI opponents you just get a wall of bullshit jumped on you. You wanna hit Shao? gently caress you, half of his moves have armor. Oh, you're beating him? gently caress you, here's an attack that does almost all of your health. It's adorable and makes me feel like a kid in an arcade all over again.

It just wouldn't be Mortal Kombat without some bullshit boss difficulty thrown in there somewhere. :allears:

MK games (especially the earliest ones) have always been known for cheap AI and cheap bosses, but Shao Khan is in a league all his own in this game.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
The fighting game final boss that made me the most angry was the one from some probably not so good Playstation (2?) game where each fighter was an animal or could turn into an animal or something furry like that. The final boss had some space-y name and was just really lovely all around. I gave up after around 10 tries I think.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Mehuyael posted:

The fighting game final boss that made me the most angry was the one from some probably not so good Playstation (2?) game where each fighter was an animal or could turn into an animal or something furry like that. The final boss had some space-y name and was just really lovely all around. I gave up after around 10 tries I think.

Uranus, from one of the Bloody Roar games.

Choco1980 posted:

Something they take full advantage of is that they never actually showed what was going on around the tournament itself, since MK9 is the first time you see the story as something other than occasional text fields and arcade-mode ending movies. Quan Chi was also introduced in the Mortal Kombat: Mythologies game that's set before the original MK, so having him show up at the first tournament and hang out in the background is entirely possible.

It's not so much a retcon as it is filling in the gaps.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

You know, it occurs to me that the thread might want a cliff notes version of the plot of the original trilogy, as this plot apparently starts changing events pretty dramatically if the OP is to be believed. As I said, once upon a time I was super into the MK Mythos. Plus it doesn't REALLY start going off the rails confusing til part three at least, and arguably not til part four. I'll start with MK1's story:

Mortal Kombat
This story's already pretty familiar in the game now: Shang Tsung is an Otherworld wizard and right-hand man of Emperor Shao Khan. Once a century, they hold a fighting tournament between Outworlders and Earthers, and whoever can win ten in a row gets the other kingdom's keys. Earth lost the last 9. Tsung also absorbs the souls of those who die in the tournament to increase his strength. Cause he's a bad guy. Anyways, there's eight (and a half) other Kombatants in the tournament (god does this franchise get dumb with spelling):

Liu Kang: A Shaolin Monk, raised exclusively to fight in the tournament and defeat Tsung. He's a very spiritual warrior, and is ostensibly the "good guy" hero of the story.

Johnny Cage: A hollywood actor that we've seen a lot of already, his story seems unchanged so far: People think his ability is hollywood magic, so he joins the tournament to show it's all him. He's also a good guy, but a bit cocky. He's the stereotypical American, the Ken to Liu's Ryu.

Sonya Blade: As seen in this game, she's a special forces soldier, sent in to arrest international criminal Kano.

Raiden: The literal God of Thunder, in the first game he was a bit of a wild card, but later got retconned into being part of the good guy team, and the mentor figure of them. The mythology of MK is murky at best, with two tiers of gods at least: The Elder Gods, who are the Powers That Be, but are forbidden from interfering with mortals, and the minor gods like Raiden, who can act among them, but only if they themselves don corporeal forms and basically act as mortals themselves. There are ways to get "promoted" from mortal status to god status and god status to Elder God status. As the series shows, Raiden is not very good at his job...

Kano: International crime lord, and head of the Black Dragons, a group whose background they don't really start exploring until at least 4 iirc. He's a mercenary with a cybernetic eye, and came under Tsung's wing fleeing from the US Special Forces.

Sub Zero: A ninja assassin high in the ranks of the Lin Kuei clan, he has powers over ice, and owes allegiance to noone.

Scorpion: A rival ninja, his family and clan were ambushed and attacked by Sub-Zero and his men. Dying, he became literally Ninja Ghost Rider, complete with chains and flaming skull head. He wears a yellow version of the Lin Kuei uniform to mock his target, Sub Zero, who he seeks vengeance on.

Goro: Unplayable, the sub-boss is the Outworld Champion, a Shokkan warrior. He's hulkingly huge and has four arms instead of two, as per his race. He is brutally hard, and is Tsung's main weapon in gaining souls.

Bonus: Reptile: in the first game, Reptile was a secret boss you could only fight with certain characters by attaining a double flawless and fatality without using the block button on the Pit level. You'd fight him at the bottom. He is a green version of the Sub Zero/Scorpion Ninja model, having both their move sets and much faster speed. After this game he would be retconned into being a Saurian (a lizard-man) from Outworld that is a henchman of Tsung's, sneakily working on his own personal agenda.

The outcome of the first game in Cannon story has Liu Kang win the tournament, and is named the Earthrealm Champion. Goro is lost and presumed dead, and Tsung captures Sonya and Kano both before skulking back to the outworld, where Shao Khan is furious with him. Scorpion finds, and kills Sub-Zero, and disappears into the distance. Johnny Cage makes a movie out of the story, playing himself, the star, of course, and sequels are made. Raiden keeps blundering away.

EDIT:

MonsterEnvy posted:

Just a quick correction about the Notes about Mortal Kombat 1 and an added detail

It does not take place once every century instead once every generation. (With the current champion's aging stopped so they can still compete until defeated or killed.) Goro is remarked as having been the undefeated champion for 500 years with 9 wins under his belt.

Also in the backstory Earth Realm had a champion named the Great Kung Lao who defeated Shang Tsung back when he was champion of Mortal Kombat for Outworld. Despite Shang Tsung's loss he managed to retake control by bringing Goro into the fold at a later tournament were Goro killed the Great Kung Lao. It should be noted that for all intents Goro is the goal of the tournament, he is the champion and is considered to be harder then Shang Tsung. Shang Tsung can almost be considered to be an extra at the end.

Edit: Also, I never detailed how Shang Tsung fights. While normally his only attack appears to be throwing fireballs (seriously, I don't think the man even jumps if I remember right), this old wizard isn't much of a threat on his own. However, he can also alter his form to look and move like any of the other fighters if he so chooses, sometimes on the fly. As MonsterEnvy stated, Goro is the "real" challenge at the end, moreso than Tsung by a wide margin.

Choco1980 fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Apr 17, 2015

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
To expand on Raiden's questionable morality in the first game, his ending has him calling all the other gods to this world for some recreational fighting, which causes its destruction:
http://www.vgmuseum.com/end/arcade/a/mk1raiden.htm

Raiden being an idiotic fuckup was established very early on.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I feel that, by law, there is some rule somewhere that 9 out of 10 Mortal Kombat endings are required to end in the destruction of the world.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Choco1980 posted:

Ninja Ghost Rider, complete with chains and flaming skull head.
His skull wasn't on fire until his alt outfit in MK: Deadly Alliance, and that game doesn't count because it's bad :colbert:

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Meh, he shot flames out of it. Close enough. I'm just happy I remembered everything accurately. the transition between two and three is when things get hinkey.

IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

Fucking technology...

At least I HAVE THIS!

Choco1980 posted:

Meh, he shot flames out of it. Close enough. I'm just happy I remembered everything accurately. the transition between two and three is when things get hinkey.

I could have sworn there was at least one of the earlier mortal kombat games where he pulled off his mask just to reveal like a flaming skull and set the other kombatant on fire with flame breath or something for a fatality. Maybe I'm misremembering.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Pretty sure that was his fatality in both of the first two games. Remove mask, breathe fire, :hb: at camera. I remember it and I only played the first three (and there was something about "OMG CYRAX IS SCORPION!!!" back when the third game was being teased and nobody knew why Sub-Zero was there and Scorpion wasn't).

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Fire wasn't much of Scorpion's repertoire originally but the more they played up the Scorpion/Sub-Zero rivalry the more sense it made.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

IBlameRoadSuess posted:

I could have sworn there was at least one of the earlier mortal kombat games where he pulled off his mask just to reveal like a flaming skull and set the other kombatant on fire with flame breath or something for a fatality. Maybe I'm misremembering.
That is his classic fatality (that actually made it into the censored SNES port of the original game, because burning someone to death and leaving a charred skeleton was apparently just fine with Nintendo) but his actual skull was never on fire.

:goonsay:

(sorry about this silly derail)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
It's also a regular attack in MK4. I think it was forward, down, punch?

• Locked thread