Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have a really odd, strange love for the Nintendo DS port of Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3. I still own the game despite owning something to play it on. I don't know why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

I really can't decide on how I feel about Mortal Kombat.

It's like, on one hand, the violence really is as tasteless as it gets and since the very first game, it has remained the crowned champion of "lol video games" in terms of forced edginess at the expense of everything else. You can't really avoid the grotesquery even if you're just playing for the story or fighting game competitiveness or whatever either.

On the other hand, it's so maniacally stupid that it turns right around to being lovable, and clearly does not take itself seriously. Plus, it's not like you could remove the ultraviolence without gutting (:v:) part of what defines the entire concept.

So I dunno. I guess I kinda want to like it but should just chalk it up as a guilty pleasure at best.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I think they've reached a point where the ultraviolence is part of the charm. It's very self-aware in regards to the impossible poo poo that happens, especially in this game in particular.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
The best part about this game and it's sequel are the X-ray attacks. You break necks, backs, and testicles in manners that would leave a normal person crippled for life if not outright dead, and if it doesn't beat them they just get right back up and keep fighting.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

kalonZombie posted:

The best part about this game and it's sequel are the X-ray attacks. You break necks, backs, and testicles in manners that would leave a normal person crippled for life if not outright dead, and if it doesn't beat them they just get right back up and keep fighting.

You know, I know this is me being stupid, don't get me wrong.

Sometimes it kills me! "He just broke your skull! How could you fight?!" And then in MKX, I see these X-Rays like "you got arrows in your eyes! If you're alive, you can't even see!"

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

slowbeef posted:

Sometimes it kills me! "He just broke your skull! How could you fight?!" And then in MKX, I see these X-Rays like "you got arrows in your eyes! If you're alive, you can't even see!"

I'm half-convinced that everyone's ability to survive stuff like that in Mortal Kombat is why everyone resorts to increasingly extreme and gratuitous methods to actually kill them.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

slowbeef posted:

I know! It's great.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

slowbeef posted:

Even better is that it can happen multiple times in a match.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

kalonZombie posted:

I know! It's great.

Then Cassie visibly explodes their testicles with her x-ray. :black101:

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Mortal Kombat is still basically unique in the fighting world, if you count Injustice as a spinoff (of MK vs DC). Like not only is the violence over the top, but you also have the infamous "Dial-a-combo" where Neversoft never really stopped using the old ways of inputting moves based more on getting the buttons pushed right than on frame perfect timing like games like Street Fighter seemed to evolve into. It's a point of contention in the esports circles, where some people love it, but lots of people hate it and feel like it doesn't reward skill as much. But it's practically MK's signature by now.

IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

Fucking technology...

At least I HAVE THIS!

Choco1980 posted:

Mortal Kombat is still basically unique in the fighting world, if you count Injustice as a spinoff (of MK vs DC). Like not only is the violence over the top, but you also have the infamous "Dial-a-combo" where Neversoft never really stopped using the old ways of inputting moves based more on getting the buttons pushed right than on frame perfect timing like games like Street Fighter seemed to evolve into. It's a point of contention in the esports circles, where some people love it, but lots of people hate it and feel like it doesn't reward skill as much. But it's practically MK's signature by now.

On this note, I'm super glad that Mortal Kombat hasn't turned into what Street fighter and Marvel Vs. Capcom has, with super ridiculous frame perfect timing on everything. I'm not that good at fighting games so I appreciate the ease of the MK movesets. It's easy to learn, but can be hard to master if you're terrible at fighting games in general like me. I also really like the fact that the block button in MK9 IS AN ACTUAL BLOCK BUTTON. As opposed to Injustice or whatever other fighting game there is where it's just hold <- or -> to block. Can someone who has played MKX tell me if it's the same?

IBlameRoadSuess fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Apr 20, 2015

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."
Yes MKX still has the actual block button.

Every MK game has had that. It's essential because Mortal Kombat has a number of teleporting characters who can instantly appear behind you, which would screw over the Street Fighter style system of holding "back" to block.

The one thing that confuses me in MKX is that the throw button has changed. I play some go MKX and then go to record some MK9 for this LP and end up standing there uselessly when I try to throw someone!

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
There's plenty of teleporting characters in games that use block to back. MK just chose a gimmick block style and ran with it because it's what stands out, among other things.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Probably getting ahead of myself a bit, but MK X's story mode is a heck of a lot more entertaining. Watching a youtube video of all the cut scenes makes it a pretty entertaining B-movie.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Superstring posted:

Probably getting ahead of myself a bit, but MK X's story mode is a heck of a lot more entertaining. Watching a youtube video of all the cut scenes makes it a pretty entertaining B-movie.

Oh, absolutely. Like, its something that I could see doing pretty decently if it was released as an actual movie. Heck, its even got the runtime of one.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

MKX has a very good story mode that is far less cheat-tastic then MK9's.

Don't get me wrong, MK9 has a great story mode, and the game is fun, but the last few fights were a loving nightmare.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

The fact that MK X isn't trying to cover 3 games worth of story keeps it a lot more coherent. Plus, there's a lot of decently choreographed fighting in the cut scenes, whereas MK9 mostly dumps you straight into the gameplay matches.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Choco1980 posted:

See now, this is such an underrated feature. Ironically enough it can be compared to Smash Bros, as a game anyone can pick up and still have a fun time playing even if they're up against "pros". Street Fighter looks all bright and friendly, but when you actually sit down at it, you face this gigantic learning curve if you ever want to be remotely decent at it. More fighting games should embrace the intuitiveness. Make sure the answer is "yes" to the question, "If the first time we played this game was while we were wasted at a party, would we get completely hooked?"

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Counting all the Quitalities that I saw on stream of a pro MK player, I don' think it's very fun to be killed without a hit in for most people regardless.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I always find SF's method easier though, as it's more intuitive. It's like low MP is ALWAYS low MP, but in Mortal Kombat it's punch is punch...except if it's after punch kick, where it becomes overhead punch.

In SF, the moves are always the moves, not that many chain sequence attacks besides Rekkas and the like.

I also think it's easier to teach someone the basics of SF and do reasonably well. You need:
- Ground game (footsies)
- An anti-air or a way to prevent someone from getting into the air for free
- A reasonable combo ender

Why only the ender? Well, it's easier to teach, "If any of these moves hit, input a qcb + K!" rather than "Well, if close punch hits, you can kick, kick, sweep, special...but if it's the far version you can only squeeze in one kick" which comes as a result of the chain system. Optimised SF combos become that too, sure, but it's much easier to pick up just "any hit -> combo ending special move" at the beginner level.

EDIT: I just thought of someone coming from a 3D fighting game background, which is chain heavy. I suppose it would be easier to pick up from there.

Artelier fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Apr 20, 2015

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

Those of you paying attention to the amazing fighting skills displayed in this LP may have noticed that I don't actually know any combos longer than 2 or 3 hits.

I make a point of learning each character's special moves for the LP, as for me what makes Mortal Kombat fun is that characters can shoot energy blasts or teleport or do a flying kick across the screen.

If I do a long string of punches and kicks and grabs then I am probably button mashing. There are 35 characters, 16 of which have their own chapters in Story Mode. Learn the various combos for 16 characters? Ain't nobody got time for that.

Of course it was simpler back in the days of MK1 and 2... there were a number of palette-swap characters (Scorpion and Sub-Zero, Kitana and Mileena) that were identical except for different special moves. Sub-Zero could freeze opponents, Scorpion had his "Get over here!" spear attack, that's what mattered. You chose a character based purely on which special ability you liked best or whether you thought they looked cool. I haven't progressed beyond that. :lol:

Tae posted:

There's plenty of teleporting characters in games that use block to back. MK just chose a gimmick block style and ran with it because it's what stands out, among other things.

But... surely if you are blocking and then the opponent teleports behind you, you are then holding the d-pad/stick in the wrong direction, it is no longer away from the opponent, and so you are no longer blocking?

In MK the block button defends all sides of you, regardless of whether you are facing towards or away from an opponent.

Bear in mind that the only fighting games I've ever played are Mortal Kombat and Guilty Gear X2 Reload. (I loved kicking the crap out of my mates as Jam, and I also loved being Zappa because he was so drat weird.) Until I started doing this LP I never bothered to block. Ever. I certainly never blocked in Guilty Gear. As far as I was concerned the best form of defence was to continuously attack!

Tried a bit of Street Fight II against my girlfriend a few weeks ago. She thoroughly handed my rear end to me. God drat spinning bird kick.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

The action in Mortal Kombat always felt more wooden to me than in other fighting games, especially those in recent memory.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

your evil twin posted:

But... surely if you are blocking and then the opponent teleports behind you, you are then holding the d-pad/stick in the wrong direction, it is no longer away from the opponent, and so you are no longer blocking?

In MK the block button defends all sides of you, regardless of whether you are facing towards or away from an opponent.

Correct. If you are holding back, and the opponent does an attack that teleports (or just plain goes) behind you in the process, you are no longer blocking, so you have to react/predict that and change your block accordingly.

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

Ah well there you go. MK's block button isn't simply a relic of a gimmick button in the arcade... Netherrealm specifically don't WANT the players to have to deal with that kind of thing. They prefer players to just have to worry about whether they are high blocking or low blocking, and not also need to deal with which direction they are facing.

Characters like Scorpion, Smoke, Cyrax etc can teleport repeatedly and continuously with no warning; you have a tiny fraction of a second to hit that block button. If you had to change your block direction to deal with those characters they would be very difficult to deal with compared to the non-teleporting characters.

I've heard that was a big problem when they added Scorpion to Injustice. Despite being a Netherrealm game it uses Street Fighter style blocking, and the playerbase got a nasty shock when suddenly they had to deal with a Mortal Kombat style rapid teleporter.

I'm guessing that while other fighting games have characters that can teleport they can't rapidly do it to the same degree.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

your evil twin posted:

Characters like Scorpion, Smoke, Cyrax etc can teleport repeatedly and continuously with no warning; you have a tiny fraction of a second to hit that block button. If you had to change your block direction to deal with those characters they would be very difficult to deal with compared to the non-teleporting characters.

They still are. :argh:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Oh, by the way - unless it happens to be a big spoiler, what happened to the robot ninjas from MK3? They were among the coolest characters in there.

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

That'll be spoiler territory. ;) You won't have long to wait though, that'll already be partially addressed in the next video.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

It probably is spoiler territory knowing that things are being changed. As you say, they don't come into the story until 3. The black guy in the yellow outfit standing next to Sub Zero during Johnny's first few fights was Cyrax, not yet cyberized.

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

Hah yep, the next video properly introduces you to Cryax and Sektor. I really dig how they were able to invent a couple of new couple characters without actually adding new characters to the cast list.

A fun detail is that the amongst the kontestants in the tournament crowd scenes there is a ninja guy and a ninja lady who wear black ninja outfits based on the old MK2/MK3 outfits, like black versions of the original designs for Scorpion/Sub-Zero or Kitana/Jade. No idea what "clan" of ninjas/assassins they are supposed to be with, probably just a fun bit of fan service having some characters in the old style.

The crowd of kontestants also includes Skarlett, a ninja lady in red who was is actually a completely new character. She doesn't actually do anything in the story mode, she was released as a DLC playable character for the other game modes a few months after MK9 came out.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Well, Skarlet is kinda like Ermac where there were urban legends that she existed in the original game as an errored recolor, despite this being impossible on non-damaged cabinets. Also like Ermac, eventually she got a legitimate creation.

The all-black ninja might be Noob Saibot? He's an all-black (or gray depending on the game) ninja. It becomes problematic that he's there if that's him for reasons that are TOTAL spoilers. Could the lady be perhaps a nod to Khameleon, who only appears in the N64 version of Ultimate MK3 and the Wii version of this game?

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

In MKX you can summon Smoke, who looks like a default ninja in black, to do your faction kill if you're a part of the Lin Kuie faction.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Well, Smoke was a black robot ninja in MK3, I think he was secret too.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Choco1980 posted:

The all-black ninja might be Noob Saibot? He's an all-black (or gray depending on the game) ninja. It becomes problematic that he's there if that's him for reasons that are TOTAL spoilers. Could the lady be perhaps a nod to Khameleon, who only appears in the N64 version of Ultimate MK3 and the Wii version of this game?

I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be Khameleon, considering those Noob spoilers.

EDIT: There's a couple other cameos in the flashbacks from Armageddon Raiden to Mortal Kombat Raiden, but I can't for the life of me remember who. Also, there's a PS3 exclusive cameo in a later chapter.

kalonZombie fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Apr 20, 2015

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

anilEhilated posted:

Smoke was also in MK2 as a non-robot. He wore a gray uniform with billowing smoke coming off him (gee, wonder where they came up with his name?) His story wasn't actually added to the game until MK3 though, like many of the secret characters.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Can you spoil the PS3 exclusive cameo kalon?

e; When i was a kid playing MK2 on SNES I loved Smoke so much I made my parents call me Smoke for like, half a year :3:

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

anilEhilated posted:

I don't remember if he was a secret or not, but he had the best/most ridiculous fatality in the series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxTBLKH4tZ4

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

Haha you guys are trying to read too much into things. They are just a random extra male ninja and female ninja there to pad out the crowd scenes and show that there are kontestants other than the main characters. They aren't Noob or Smoke or Khameleon. Their MK2/MK3 outfits are just a fun nod to the older games.

OR ARE THEY?????

Skarlet being there is a nice touch since she was a rumoured glitch in MK2. It's like "yep she was an actual real character who was there all along".

Superstring posted:

That how I feel about MK9's story mode, it's a great Mortal Kombat B-movie. While MKX is like a big budget Hollywood blockbuster.

We're only two chapters in, and so far its been a bit constrained by introducing characters and the concept of the Mortal Kombat tournament itself. The story gets pretty great later on.

I have seen the first 25 minutes of MKX's story mode, plus another 20 minutes somewhere in the middle, and yes it is awesome. It also hits the ground running and assumes you already know the characters; I imagine it would be pretty bewildering for someone that was genuinely new to the Mortal Kombat franchise.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Abu Dave posted:

Can you spoil the PS3 exclusive cameo kalon?

e; When i was a kid playing MK2 on SNES I loved Smoke so much I made my parents call me Smoke for like, half a year :3:

Okay. This is a spoiler for a character we'll be playing as about halfway through the game, so if you don't wanna know who we'll be controlling, don't read this. Otherwise it's kind of harmless.

In the Sub-Zero chapter, at the very beginning, ol' Subbie is freezing someone in ice. In all versions of the game except the PS3 version, the block of ice is empty. In the PS3 version, Kratos is in it.

your evil twin posted:

I have seen the first 25 minutes of MKX's story mode, plus another 20 minutes somewhere in the middle, and yes it is awesome. It also hits the ground running and assumes you already know the characters; I imagine it would be pretty bewildering for someone that was genuinely new to the Mortal Kombat franchise.

It also spoils the poo poo out of the end of this game. If you don't want to know what basically happens in this game, don't play MKX's story until you've played this one.

EDIT:

your evil twin posted:

I will also be going on to LP MKX's story mode directly after I've finished MK9's. I'm trying to do one or two story updates each week, so shouldn't take too long to get there.

Oh good, less work for me to do then. :allears:

kalonZombie fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Apr 20, 2015

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

Cool thing is that the improved quality cutscenes I'm using are taken from PS3, so the PS3-exclusive thing should be in included in this LP.

kalonZombie posted:

It also spoils the poo poo out of the end of this game. If you don't want to know what basically happens in this game, don't play MKX's story until you've played this one.

Yup indeed. The last third of MK9's story is pretty amazing, and anyone that plays MKX without having experienced it will be left wondering "how the hell did THAT happen?!"

I will also be going on to LP MKX's story mode directly after I've finished MK9's. I'm trying to do one or two story updates each week, so shouldn't take too long to get there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

kalonZombie posted:

Okay. This is a spoiler for a character we'll be playing as about halfway through the game, so if you don't wanna know who we'll be controlling, don't read this. Otherwise it's kind of harmless.

In the Sub-Zero chapter, at the very beginning, ol' Subbie is freezing someone in ice. In all versions of the game except the PS3 version, the block of ice is empty. In the PS3 version, Kratos is in it.

That's what I thought. Cheers.

• Locked thread