Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
I can't believe no-one's asked this yet

Is TOASTY!!!! a thing in this game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Gargamel Gibson posted:

I can't believe no-one's asked this yet

Is TOASTY!!!! a thing in this game?
It sure is! (And even though Dan Forden doesn't actually show up and say TOASTY in MKX, you can get at least two different profile icons of him for your kombat kard)

I remember how some goon in the MK9 pre-release thread thought it was HUH HEE HEE, which then became a thing for a while. All the goon multiplayer rooms were called that, and so on.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Choco1980 posted:

Smoke was also in MK2 as a non-robot. He wore a gray uniform with billowing smoke coming off him (gee, wonder where they came up with his name?) His story wasn't actually added to the game until MK3 though, like many of the secret characters.

What's interesting is that they did at least establish who Smoke was during that time. The official MK2 comic (that you had to order off the arcade machine) featured the Lin Kuei showing up to meet Liu Kang and Kung Lao in a futuristic aircraft. Smoke was identified as one of the pilots.

Then Sub-Zero (who was wearing a suit, sunglasses and handing out Lin Kuei business cards) was talking about how the Lin Kuei was all about integrating cutting edge technology into everything, foreshadowing the robot ninjas well in advance.

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."

Gavok posted:

What's interesting is that they did at least establish who Smoke was during that time. The official MK2 comic (that you had to order off the arcade machine) featured the Lin Kuei showing up to meet Liu Kang and Kung Lao in a futuristic aircraft. Smoke was identified as one of the pilots.

Then Sub-Zero (who was wearing a suit, sunglasses and handing out Lin Kuei business cards) was talking about how the Lin Kuei was all about integrating cutting edge technology into everything, foreshadowing the robot ninjas well in advance.

Wow, that is really drat cool. I hope I can find that comic online somewhere.

Heh, in the next video I actually have a bit where I mention how "progressive" the Lin Kuei are.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

your evil twin posted:

Wow, that is really drat cool. I hope I can find that comic online somewhere.

Heh, in the next video I actually have a bit where I mention how "progressive" the Lin Kuei are.

It's pretty easy to find online, but the quality isn't so great. While I'm at it, here are the different official comics that came out for the MK games over the years.

MK1: Written and drawn by John Tobias with some early 90's art that's aged incredibly well. Tells the story of the seven characters coming to Shang Tsung's island. Highlight is Kano beating the poo poo out of Johnny while telling him, "Say it, Cage! Say, 'I'll be back!'" Was available by ordering through the arcade machine, which says a lot about their confidence about the game's success. One of the PS2 era games had it in full in the Krypt.

MK2: Same as the MK1 book. It introduced the new cast except for Jade and Noob. Also spoiled the endings for Sub-Zero and Scorpion. Fun read.

MK4: A prologue where nothing especially interesting happens outside of a scene where Goro -- long thought dead -- shows up after much soul-searching and convinces the Shokan and Centaurs to quit their petty race war. Came with the home ports of the game.

Deception: There was a website that hyped it up in advance and showed some wonderful colored art. Then nothing. Years later, I found that they did in fact release it (available with some MK-themed controller), but it was never really finished. Instead, there were colored pin-ups by various artists, but the actual story pages weren't inked or colored. They looked like nice sketches, but it came off as incredibly bush league. The whole thing was narrated as each page showed what different characters were up to.

MKvDCU: John Tobias came back to draw this mini-comic that came with the special edition. Showed the origin of Dark Kahn while the two worlds merged and THE RAGE made people attack each other. Also explained that the merger caused Robin, Aquaman, Goro and Johnny Cage to cease to exist.

MKX: A weekly web comic that's been coming out for several months. It takes place before the meat of MKX, mostly focusing on Takeda, Scorpion, Sonya, Cassie and Kotal Kahn. Currently on issue #16 of 36, but the sales are strong enough that they're probably going to let it have a sequel. It features plenty of cameos from guys who aren't in the game and has even killed off a few of the less beloved characters.

Then there's Malibu Comics' non-canon comics from the mid-90's. They're pretty bad and utterly ridiculous. Still better than Malibu's Street Fighter II comic that was so bad that they ended it at issue #3 because Capcom told them to stop.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Gavok posted:

Then there's Malibu Comics' non-canon comics from the mid-90's. They're pretty bad and utterly ridiculous. Still better than Malibu's Street Fighter II comic that was so bad that they ended it at issue #3 because Capcom told them to stop.
Oh God, these comics. I actually bought a few of these back in the day, and looking back on them, they really are ridiculous. One of the comic series I bought, Battlewave, was really dumb and laughable. It had stuff like:

--A Macguffin amulet that granted power to whoever found it in the shape of the old MK dragon symbol. And then did nothing with it once the amulet was found at the very end of the series.
--Shao Kahn brainwashing Sonya into marrying him in the first Battlewave series.
--Baraka was, for some reason, on the good guys side....until he tried to kill Jax in Battlewave II. Raiden promptly fried Baraka right then and there.
--A new character named Bo who was friends with Johnny Cage. Mostly came off as a half-assed recreation of the Art character from the first MK movie. Only notable thing I remember about him was defeating Reptile while injured during the end of Battlewave II. By ultimately throwing Reptile off a cliff.

About the only decent thing Battlewave did was give a reasonable explanation for why Jax got his cybernetic arms (a combination of Baraka's attack and fighting other villains while recovering from those injuries), since MK3 never did explain why Jax got the cybernetic arms at the time.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

your evil twin posted:

Haha you guys are trying to read too much into things. They are just a random extra male ninja and female ninja there to pad out the crowd scenes and show that there are kontestants other than the main characters. They aren't Noob or Smoke or Khameleon. Their MK2/MK3 outfits are just a fun nod to the older games.

OR ARE THEY?????

Skarlet being there is a nice touch since she was a rumoured glitch in MK2. It's like "yep she was an actual real character who was there all along".

Now see, Skarlet being there makes me think they're deliberately trying to include the minor characters too. As the debate itt went on, I've gone to suspect the blackish male is more likely Smoke than Noob for reasons I'll get into when I get to breakdown the MK2 storyline. Though much like Reptile in part one, the three fightable secret characters in 2 all have retconned stories instead of actual at-the-time storylines. But it's MK. EVERY fighter eventually gets a story, as you'll also see in my breakdown.

Also, I never played the adventure games, if anyone who knows about those stories and would like to run over them, that's fine by me. MK Mythologies takes place before MK1 and Shaolin Monks takes place in-between 1 and 2, I actually have no idea when Special Forces takes place, all I know about it is that it's Jax's door-punching simulator 2000. So obviously Mythologies is fine to go whenever as per the request for plot pertinence on story summaries.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Choco1980 posted:

Also, I never played the adventure games, if anyone who knows about those stories and would like to run over them, that's fine by me. MK Mythologies takes place before MK1 and Shaolin Monks takes place in-between 1 and 2, I actually have no idea when Special Forces takes place, all I know about it is that it's Jax's door-punching simulator 2000. So obviously Mythologies is fine to go whenever as per the request for plot pertinence on story summaries.

Shaolin Monks, which is an awesome game, is kind of a non-canon retelling of MK2 where the bad guys die. It's like playing story mode with Fatalities.

Special Forces is about the Black Dragon springing Kano from prison and Jax being tasked with hunting them down, leading him into Outworld for the first time. Sonya was supposed to be in the game originally (she was even on a magazine cover), but the game was kind of abandoned with the publisher going, "Eh, just toss out what's finished." The most notable thing from the game is how one of the bosses is a buff, brown MK ninja named Tremor who was originally going to be in Mortal Kombat Trilogy. He was a Lin Kuei ninja who left to join Black Dragon. Fans wanted to see more from him for years and he was given a few Challenge Tower missions in MK9 for Vita. Now he's going to be DLC in MKX.

Mythologies, despite being mediocre, actually has a fairly good story that reminds me a lot of Vincent Vega in Pulp Fiction. It starts with Quan Chi wanting this map. He decides to hire representatives from the Lin Kuei and Shirai Ryu to hunt it down. Sub-Zero (the original) and Scorpion race each other and end up fighting over it. When you win, you have the option to tear Scorpion's spine out. This affects the game a little, but obviously the canon choice is killing him.

Quan Chi is pretty happy and pays the Lin Kuei back by murdering the Shirai Ryu and tosses in Scorpion's family for good measure. He gets them to send Sub-Zero on some more missions, where he fights against a bunch of elementals, including Fujin. He ultimately unearths Shinnok's amulet, which will allow him to escape the Netherrealm with enough power to kill the Elder Gods and whatever. Quan Chi goes back to the Netherrealm with it and Raiden shows up to go, "Dude! What the gently caress?! Do you have any idea what you've done?! Don't just stand there looking like a moron! Go in there and get it back!" Since it turns out he accidentally just doomed the world, Sub-Zero jumps into Hell.

Sub-Zero is captured early on and is thrown into a prison cell. If you didn't kill Scorpion early on, Shinnok shows up in Sub-Zero's cell to monologue and be all foreboding. If you did kill Scorpion, then he's your cellmate and he's pissed at you for killing his clan and family. Sub-Zero, who is innocent in this, is all, "Wait, what?" Though at the same time, he takes responsibility for Scorpion's death by claiming clan loyalty. You fight Scorpion and escape.

Quan Chi has three lady demon assassins, who are like his Charlie's Angels in black leather. Sub-Zero fights through them and after beating the one named Sareena, you again get the Fatality option. Canonically, Sub-Zero lets her live. Doing so has her show up to help you fight Quan Chi. She asks you to bring her back to Earthrealm with you and help her escape, but as Sub-Zero's trying to explain that he can't do that, Shinnok appears and fries her. She dies in Sub-Zero's arms (she later recovers and appears in other games) and Sub-Zero goes after Shinnok.

Sub-Zero is able to steal the amulet, causing Shinnok to get super pissed and transform into a giant demonic monster. Here, you have two options. You can either run in the opposite direction and escape into a portal Raiden summoned or if you stocked up on the screen-clearing attack, you can hurt and kill Shinnok. Otherwise, you die in one hit. Killing him doesn't affect the story, but it does give you a blooper reel.

Afterwards, Sub-Zero brings up how Quan Chi pointed out that he could only enter Hell because he's tainted with evil and is fated to go there in death. Raiden shrugs and says, "Yeah, you're evil. But not completely. You have a chance to escape your fate and redeem yourself. Leave the Lin Kuei and become a better person. You can do it!"

Cut to the next scene where Sub-Zero's pledging his allegiance to the Lin Kuei. Loyalty wins out. He's given a new mission by being introduced to Shang Tsung, who's hosting a big tournament called Mortal Kombat...

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

Gavok that was an excellent summary, I could not have done that better myself!

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
drat, this actually makes me almost want to play Mythologies.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

That plot point of Quan Chi actually being who killed off Scorpion's clan and family is something that won't be pertinent until part 4, where it becomes the central point in his story. I like how the Lin Kuei and Sub-Zero in particular would just rather piss off their enemy than try to prove themselves innocent of the crime.

The story of the Amulet leads to one of my favorite sad-trombone non-canon endings that the games are so great about in Armageddon. If you win with Quan Shi, the amulet ends up breaking in the final struggle. He decides since he won he should be allowed to confront the Elder Gods himself. They then turn him into the same amulet and send him back in time to where he first found it, making a vicious time loop for him.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Seyser Koze posted:

drat, this actually makes me almost want to play Mythologies.

It's worth playing through once. At the very least, it's a very interesting experiment of a game, making a side-scroller out of the MK3 engine, even if it isn't great. Plus Richard Divizio chews on scenery like it's an all-you-can-eat buffet. Though it should be the PS version so you can actually watch the goofy cutscenes.

On the subject of me writing long-winded MK stuff, I posted this in the proper MKX thread, but I did a gigantic list article ranking every MK character (73 to be exact) from worst to best. It's updated with the MKX cast, but features a ton of spoilers.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

Gavok posted:

On the subject of me writing long-winded MK stuff, I posted this in the proper MKX thread, but I did a gigantic list article ranking every MK character (73 to be exact) from worst to best. It's updated with the MKX cast, but features a ton of spoilers.
Jade owns and it's literally a crime that she's not in MKX. :colbert:

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Awesome list, and as someone who checked out of the series after 3, it's fun to learn about the swathe of terrible characters I have no idea about.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Gavok posted:

I agree with basically this whole list. I would have swapped #10 and #11, but that's just personal preference. Both characters were great. I just prefer #11's pre-battle conversations.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Senerio posted:

I agree with basically this whole list. I would have swapped #10 and #11, but that's just personal preference. Both characters were great. I just prefer #11's pre-battle conversations.

I understand, but you have to realize that I used to be a gigantic Hol Horse fan. Having a fighting game cowboy with zigzagging bullets brought back old feelings.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Gavok posted:

I'm happy with #5's place since she's my favourite kharacter of the series, and also for Your Evil Twin. She's just cool as hell, and I can't wait for her to be introduced in the LP.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Gavok posted:

I understand, but you have to realize that I used to be a gigantic Hol Horse fan. Having a fighting game cowboy with zigzagging bullets brought back old feelings.

Yeah, I get it. I just find him a bit one-note to be in the top 10, even if that note is awesome. Me being a bit of a Special Forces (the general Special Forces concept, not the game's Special Forces, though it's my chosen faction) nerd makes it part of my bias too.

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

Spudd posted:

I'm happy with #5's place since she's my favourite kharacter of the series, and also for Your Evil Twin. She's just cool as hell, and I can't wait for her to be introduced in the LP.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

You can get a Cutsie Icon for Mileena in the Krypt, it owns and is actually cute.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Gavok posted:

It's worth playing through once. At the very least, it's a very interesting experiment of a game, making a side-scroller out of the MK3 engine, even if it isn't great. Plus Richard Divizio chews on scenery like it's an all-you-can-eat buffet. Though it should be the PS version so you can actually watch the goofy cutscenes.

If I read this and either Scorpion or Sub Zero is #1 I am going to edit this post to let you know that the entire thing is moot.

edit: Alright I was going to post that it's moot but showing off Stryker's hilarious ending in this game's arcade mode absolved your sins. Well done, I agree with most of the list in a general sense.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Apr 21, 2015

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe

CJacobs posted:

If I read this and either Scorpion or Sub Zero is #1 I am going to edit this post to let you know that the entire thing is moot.

edit: Alright I was going to post that it's moot but showing of Stryker's hilarious ending in this game's arcade mode absolved your sins. Well done, I agree with most of the list in a general sense.

If Scorpion and Subzero aren't your number 1 and 2 picks, then I am very sorry for your lack of a childhood. You may want to seek therapy to fix your incorrect opinions.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The trick is that I hate every mortal kombat character equally, so no matter what, the list will be correct for me. They're all assholes, especially that Raiden guy.

edit: Except Shujinko. I hate him more than I hate anyone else. There is a special place in the shriveled black stone that has replaced my heart through years of emotional damage reserved for him

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Yeah, it's hard to overstate how big of an effect Sub-Zero and Scorpion had as far as badass factors go on kids when the initial trilogy of games and MK mania were everywhere. I was right in the middle of it too. I mean, I saw Mortal Kombat Live for criminey's sake. I don't know a single person who wasn't disappointed at the way Subbie was bitched out in the first movie. Scorpion fared a little better (he even got a friendship ending from Johnny!) but they still didn't spend any time whatsoever on the rivalry past like, one throwaway line.

In other news, I've been reading up to refresh my memory of plots, and MAN was I right about how the plot goes right off the rails with part 3.

Delta Green
Nov 2, 2012

CJacobs posted:

The trick is that I hate every mortal kombat character equally, so no matter what, the list will be correct for me. They're all assholes, especially that Raiden guy.

edit: Except Shujinko. I hate him more than I hate anyone else. There is a special place in the shriveled black stone that has replaced my heart through years of emotional damage reserved for him

CJacobs doesn't have issues. He has subscriptions.

That said, I also hate all characters equally, though I was fortunate to not have played any 3D Mortal Kombat.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Choco1980 posted:

That plot point of Quan Chi actually being who killed off Scorpion's clan and family is something that won't be pertinent until part 4, where it becomes the central point in his story. I like how the Lin Kuei and Sub-Zero in particular would just rather piss off their enemy than try to prove themselves innocent of the crime.

The story of the Amulet leads to one of my favorite sad-trombone non-canon endings that the games are so great about in Armageddon.

It should also be pointed out that Sub Zero did not even steal the the amulet back in the end. Quan Chi after getting the amulet made a copy of it and gave the copy to Shinnok in order to have the upper hand if Shinnok ever betrayed him or Quan Chi decided it was time to betray Shinnok.

(ModEdit - MKX spoilers) Weirdly enough this does not happen in MK X. Quan Chi remains very loyal to Shinnok and gave him his actual amulet. Which may be a result of the time altering as Shinnok was one of the survivors of Armageddon by virtue of sending a doppelganger of himself to fight in his place. It's implied Shinnok does some time altering behind the scenes, something he may done may have ensured Quan Chi's loyalty or something.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Apr 21, 2015

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
MK Shaolin Monks was like a taste of what this story is to me. It retold MK2 in a very fun way and really fleshed out the story. MK9 just took that and applied it to MK1 and MK3 as well. Also, if Sub-Zero isn't in your top 5 and MINIMUM, you're wrong. If he's your #1, you are the realest.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

MonsterEnvy posted:

super spoilers

OP had asked us several times not to do poo poo like this yo.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

SonicRulez posted:

MK Shaolin Monks was like a taste of what this story is to me. It retold MK2 in a very fun way and really fleshed out the story. MK9 just took that and applied it to MK1 and MK3 as well. Also, if Sub-Zero isn't in your top 5 and MINIMUM, you're wrong. If he's your #1, you are the realest.

What I really want is Mortal Kombat Mythologies 2, where Sub Zero and Scorpion team up to kick righteous amounts of rear end.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Gavok posted:

I don't think Stryker is Mokap-tier, but it's criminal to put him over Liu Kang and Kung Lao. Even though later games did all they could to make him acceptable, MK3 still happened. But you put Sub-Zero over that damned Scorpion, so I forgive it. I probably wouldn't have put Reiko under Hsu Hao or Meat either.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

SonicRulez posted:

I don't think Stryker is Mokap-tier, but it's criminal to put him over Liu Kang and Kung Lao.

No man. Stryker is great and hilarious. In a world filled with special forces with advanced tech, merc groups with advanced tech, ninjas, magic ninjas, undead magic ninjas, demons, dragons, aliens, martial artist experts, literal gods, monsters, extradimensional beings, sorcerers, wizards, and cyborgs, Stryker is just a cop with a gun. He shoots people. Stryker is the best.

SonicRulez posted:

But you put Sub-Zero over that damned Scorpion,

I only find this offensive because I cannot play Sub-Zero to save my life but I'm actually pretty good with Scorpion.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

If Scorpion and Subzero aren't your number 1 and 2 picks, then I am very sorry for your lack of a childhood. You may want to seek therapy to fix your incorrect opinions.

I'm personally fine with Subzero, but Scorpion has getting more and more on my nerves as the games keep rolling out.

At Least J.C. (oh, that's funny, just realized his initials) should have been higher than Scorp.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

kalonZombie posted:

I only find this offensive because I cannot play Sub-Zero to save my life but I'm actually pretty good with Scorpion.

Look, Scorpion might be a hot property, but it's undeniable that Sub-Zero is cooler.

Seriously though I think I like Scorpion a little more but as the article points out, Sub-Zero has easily one of the best arcade endings in MK9

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Look, Scorpion might be a hot property, but it's undeniable that Sub-Zero is cooler.

I challenge you to Mortal Kombat for this pun.

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

Fucking blocks... I'm gonna climb the shit outta you!
This LP finally got me playing the copy of this game I bought in some Steam sale. It's pretty drat good fun but damnit, I just can't get used to not pushing back to block. I'm losing so many fights that way. :(

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Not sure if this is a MK9 spoiler or not:

How did there end up being 2 Subzeros? What happened to the first one?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Abu Dave posted:

Not sure if this is a MK9 spoiler or not:

How did there end up being 2 Subzeros? What happened to the first one?

That will be addressed during the story.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Edit: ^That

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Not using one the Dan Forden TOASTY icons? Unacceptable. :colbert:

mileena owns though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Cythereal posted:

That will be addressed during the story.

Right, at the very least when we go over the original MK2 storyline.

Speaking of updates, when are we seeing the next spate of videos anyways?

• Locked thread