Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sel Nar
Dec 19, 2013

AradoBalanga posted:

I'm just waiting for the day when Leon uses a vehicle loaded with explosives to finish off the final boss. It is the only natural escalation at this point.

Already happened; the back half of the train used by Leon, Claire, and Sherry to escape raccoon city was full of explosives, which destroyed the train after blob-birkin forced its way into the control cab while the trio ran for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Sel Nar posted:

Already happened; the back half of the train used by Leon, Claire, and Sherry to escape raccoon city was full of explosives, which destroyed the train after blob-birkin forced its way into the control cab while the trio ran for it.
:doh:
Right, forgot that one.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
I really should grab this game because I keep finding great music to listen to while I play Raid Mode. :staredog:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nm4BjRYrsoo

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Increased Capacity on the double-barrel should turn it into the Hydra. :colbert:

I had no idea you could kill Pedro there. I'm guessing it's probably a new game+ sort of thing. I think I was almost out of ammo at that point.

Dunno about patting one of those Orthris things... I think you'd probably need a tetanus shot afterwards.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I have decided to scrap the raid mode thing. Raid mode is too grindy/repetitive for it to be really enjoyable to watch, and every time I swap to a new character I have to replay the whole thing all over again (or do the powerleveling trick which is almost just as boring). I'll find something else to do as a side thing, probably.

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

He who fights too long against dragons becomes a dragon himself
Man, Barry is awesome. :allears: Why can't he in more REs? I mean, gotta keep Leon and the cheesy one-liners and all that, but if Barry replaced Chris from here on out I might even forgive them for RE6.

SIGSEGV posted:

Man, Neil is really Not Stressed At All about this whole "being left behind alone with a horde of zombies" thing, he's so cool with it his bracelet stays green.

I was skeptical about Neil and his penchant for running off-camera at incredibly dangerous moments. He's either going to come back from one as a traitor or a zombie boss fight (or both, a la RE5, I guess :v: ). I didn't even catch that he had a bracelet, that makes me even more sure.

Speaking of :reject: and Claire, I grabbed this screencap last week vis a vis the face discussion:

Sorry about the delay, didn't want to forget it entirely. I put this off since I was sick for awhile (back-to-back colds plus crazy allergies basically wiped out April for anything useful, heh), and linked this LP to two of my friends for confirmation. We can't put a finger on exactly what's wrong, but something is!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I'd like to see Barry and Leon team up. Dad jokes and lame action hero one liners forever.

IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

Fucking technology...

At least I HAVE THIS!

CJacobs posted:

I have decided to scrap the raid mode thing. Raid mode is too grindy/repetitive for it to be really enjoyable to watch, and every time I swap to a new character I have to replay the whole thing all over again (or do the powerleveling trick which is almost just as boring). I'll find something else to do as a side thing, probably.

That's unfortunate, I actually liked the raid mode video, at least to have something going on in the background. I think one way to alleviate the grindiness might be to just kinda pick a character and stick with them for the raid mode videos, maybe put it to a vote or something in the thread. As far as the videos and their commentary goes, you could do something akin to what you did with Crow for the Dead Space 2 side LP, if only to have someone to talk to and play off of. Alternatively raid mode co-op might be neat, but I think you mentioned that you don't know anyone who has the game on PC. As for it being repetitive, you could just go through all of the main line levels and not do the upgraded "hard" versions after that. Despite all that, if it's dropped, you showed off what the mode has to offer in the intro and the first video, so I don't think anything's really lost if we don't see anything more. (Buy the game, play it yourself if you wanna see more!)

Neil does not look pleased to see Moira.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT
I'm glad I stumbled upon this thread. I've been under a lot of stress lately working on my thesis and these videos have been a great way to take a break every now and again. So thanks!

Also I don't want to tell you how to do your LPs, but I have sort of a hard time reading the notes while you're talking over them. I know I could just pause the video, but you know, just pointing it out.

IBlameRoadSuess posted:

That's unfortunate, I actually liked the raid mode video, at least to have something going on in the background. I think one way to alleviate the grindiness might be to just kinda pick a character and stick with them for the raid mode videos, maybe put it to a vote or something in the thread. As far as the videos and their commentary goes, you could do something akin to what you did with Crow for the Dead Space 2 side LP, if only to have someone to talk to and play off of. Alternatively raid mode co-op might be neat, but I think you mentioned that you don't know anyone who has the game on PC. As for it being repetitive, you could just go through all of the main line levels and not do the upgraded "hard" versions after that. Despite all that, if it's dropped, you showed off what the mode has to offer in the intro and the first video, so I don't think anything's really lost if we don't see anything more. (Buy the game, play it yourself if you wanna see more!)

Yeah the first raid videos were ok. I imagine it would get tedious after a while, though. Still, I'd like to see how it gets later when you get up to crazy levels and have all sorts of badass weapons with a ton of customized parts.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Wayne posted:

Speaking of :reject: and Claire, I grabbed this screencap last week vis a vis the face discussion:

I didn't know CM Punk was in this game.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Wugga posted:

Also I don't want to tell you how to do your LPs, but I have sort of a hard time reading the notes while you're talking over them. I know I could just pause the video, but you know, just pointing it out.

Yeah I told myself I wasn't going to do that but I did it anyway because I have no self control, lol. I will try to be better about that in the future.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,

He helps people like me.

chitoryu12 posted:

I didn't know CM Punk was in this game.

Dude has a lot of free time after giving WWE the bird.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

IBlameRoadSuess posted:

Neil does not look pleased to see Moira.
Well, remember what Moira was doing during this scene: checking her smartphone. I am willing to bet that Neil at least knows about whatever issues have sprung up between Barry and Moira in the past (he is Moira's direct supervisor, so he at least probably has met Barry as part of Moira's job application process). So, he saw Moira on her phone, and probably went "Oh God, please do not let Barry be on the other end. Please, PLEASE let that not be Barry. I do NOT need that powder keg to go off tonight."

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
My favorite thing about the intro (I mean, besides TERR DOESNT HAVE TO END WITH ORRIST) is the line Moira starts to say before the army of HUNKs bust through the window and spoil the party: "I wouldn't even be here if I listened to him!" I bet Barry, these 6 months later, sure as hell feels bad about not trying harder to keep her from going to the party in the first place.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

CJacobs posted:

My favorite thing about the intro (I mean, besides TERR DOESNT HAVE TO END WITH ORRIST) is the line Moira starts to say before the army of HUNKs bust through the window and spoil the party: "I wouldn't even be here if I listened to him!" I bet Barry, these 6 months later, sure as hell feels bad about not trying harder to keep her from going to the party in the first place.

I think this some sort of work thing? So might be just working for the organization or something.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Rewatching the first part of episode 2, I just noticed something kinda funny. When Neil goes to distract the zombiemen, he whips out his gun:

But if you look close, actually he just pulls a copy of his gun out of his holster and the original gun is still there because it's baked into his character model:

It's hidden in a kind of clever way because you only see both guns for a split second before the camera passes his lower body behind Claire's head, and then he turns around and runs leaving the holster side not facing the camera. But if you're watching close it's just a bit obvious. I wish his magical ability to dupe guns carried over to Raid Mode, it'd be very helpful. :v:

Next episode should be up before the weekend's over.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

CJacobs posted:

Rewatching the first part of episode 2, I just noticed something kinda funny. When Neil goes to distract the zombiemen, he whips out his gun:

But if you look close, actually he just pulls a copy of his gun out of his holster and the original gun is still there because it's baked into his character model:

It's hidden in a kind of clever way because you only see both guns for a split second before the camera passes his lower body behind Claire's head, and then he turns around and runs leaving the holster side not facing the camera. But if you're watching close it's just a bit obvious. I wish his magical ability to dupe guns carried over to Raid Mode, it'd be very helpful. :v:

Next episode should be up before the weekend's over.

Yeah, this is common in a lot of games. I think due to clipping issues, most of the time you have a character actually holster a gun on their body and remove it they just magnetically slap it against their hip or thigh. Far Cry 2 applies a giant leather loop to character models to give the impression of them actually pulling out and holstering something from a holster and even tries to randomize what characters have, but unfortunately the game sometimes forgets that it already put a gun there...

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6rbh49o3RU

I figured out what I wanted the other bonus feature to be. Here is a sneak preview.

edit: In case it's not clear enough from the video, I did a hardest difficulty run where I drank a shot of straight whiskey every time I died. I'm not going to say it was a disaster, but boy you should be looking forward to it. Also, I am a pretty big lightweight.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 22:00 on May 2, 2015

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Hope you didn't/don't have to get your stomach pumped between episodes or anything. :ohdear:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

And so it begins.

SHOTS IN THIS EPISODE: 1
SHOTS TOTAL: 1

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

what kind of piss-whiskey are you drinking that you besmirch it so :colbert:

(spoken by a huge Scotch fancier)

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I was just drinking regular Jack Daniel's. Basically every person I have ever met really loves the taste of it but I haaaate it. The bottle I had (by which I mean the bottle itself, not that I drank the entire fifth), while recording felt especially strong like they forgot to put in the sweetening stuff or something. I am a fan of super sweet alcohol so I don't usually have Jack Daniel's unless I'm mixing it with something else. Jim Beam Maple whiskey is my true love.

For a little while in episode 3 I consider switching to Fireball because I have quite a bit of Fireball left over from a party I went to with a friend a while back... but Fireball is what I drink if I want to get truly hosed up because I like the taste so I am sorry to say I held off.

Is there a booze chat smilie? Feel free to chat about booze when I post these videos even if it's not really related to RE. Drinking is okay.

edit: :beerpal: is close enough

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 07:52 on May 3, 2015

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
Thank you for refraining from diving into the Redneck Rocket Fuel, man. Fireball is sinful stuff - used to be my flask mainstay when I was in my 20s and gave zero fucks about social niceties.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
The intersection of Dad Jokes The Game and booze chat is pretty much an Old Fashioned, isn't it?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Skippy Granola posted:

Thank you for refraining from diving into the Redneck Rocket Fuel, man. Fireball is sinful stuff - used to be my flask mainstay when I was in my 20s and gave zero fucks about social niceties.

I like fireball but I hardly ever drink it straight because it will burn my mouth and make me wheeze instead of talk, usually I have something on the side. Not long into the series I realize that only drinking whiskey while constantly talking for 6 hours would destroy my throat so I go to get a glass of water between videos. Hearing me get up and trundle away from my desk was kinda funny because by that point I'd only had maybe 2 shots? I think?

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,

He helps people like me.
If it helps, granny-swears I've always assumed is when people use regular words as replacements for curses that sound super awkward. Rochelle in Left 4 Dead 2 does a lot of granny swears. Like "Jiminy Christmas" instead of "Jesus Christ."

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
The "granny swears" line was a bit weird, considering Barry "regular swears" fairly frequently, really.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,

He helps people like me.

Antistar01 posted:

The "granny swears" line was a bit weird, considering Barry "regular swears" fairly frequently, really.

To be fair, he probably does do stuff like change "gently caress" to "fuckryin' out loud" when he's around his daughter because he's just that kind of dad. :3:

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
A granny swear, to me, is like "FIDDLESTICKS" and other exclamations you expect to hear from sweet little old ladies when the rest of us would let out with a solid "loving HELL" or "poo poo THAT STINGS" or "GODDAMN IT".

Basically, it's substituting innocuous words to replace good ol' cussing.

tlarn posted:

If it helps, granny-swears I've always assumed is when people use regular words as replacements for curses that sound super awkward. Rochelle in Left 4 Dead 2 does a lot of granny swears. Like "Jiminy Christmas" instead of "Jesus Christ."

What this guy said, because I wasn't looking when I went and made my reply.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
There is a point in the No Escape No Sobriety run wherein I let out out a string of 13 curse words in a row. I hope you are looking forward to it because I had to lower the volume on it significantly.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
I am already looking forward to this moment!

not lame!
May 9, 2006
STYLE!
I enjoy the no escape video - is there any point keeping the cut-scenes in though when they're in the main play-through part of the LP? I just want to see you kill things :v:

I understand the raid videos being somewhat tedious - would you ever consider doing a couple just to show some poo poo off like really cool combinations or (sort of) speedruns?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Anyone who expects tame language out of grannies has not been around the same grannies I have.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

not lame! posted:

I enjoy the no escape video - is there any point keeping the cut-scenes in though when they're in the main play-through part of the LP? I just want to see you kill things :v:

I understand the raid videos being somewhat tedious - would you ever consider doing a couple just to show some poo poo off like really cool combinations or (sort of) speedruns?

I might bring back raid mode for a bonus video or two but as a side series it's probably better off having been undone. As for the No Escape mode videos, I didn't skip the cutscenes because it allowed me to drunkenly ramble over them while I wasn't busy focusing on the gameplay. I guess I could edit them out in post but it'd make my commentary feel a fair bit more segmented for sure.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Time to finally track down that mysterious little girl and ask her what's what. Man, I wish I had a giant cannon that magically shoots meteor fireballs.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

And thus, the Resident Evil franchise claimed yet another innocent helicopter.

CJacobs posted:

Man, I wish I had a giant cannon that magically shoots meteor fireballs.
Normally, I'd laugh that off as something silly. But this is Resident Evil, where something like that is within the realm of possibility to be made for player use, whether it be through secret government research or just some crazy gun fanatic letting the player raid their collection.

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009
You can only use a helicopter safely once all the important bosses are dead.

"Escaping" before then never works out. Kill the boss first.

Alavaria fucked around with this message at 02:01 on May 7, 2015

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
How do you mutate into a monster that can use a pot as a fireball-conjuring machine and a drum?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I have decided to start posting the figurine collectibles because they're a Resident Evil staple and will allow you, the viewers, to get a better look at the characters! I was going to post them during the string of unlockables at the end of the LP, but I figure this makes for some good tertiary content. This was an ungodly amount of work but I think it turned out pretty good! Click on one to get a lazy susan of 'em! I will be rolling these out as we come across the relevant characters/enemies/unlockables, but here are a bunch of em to start us off (there are goddamn 37 total):

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 07:59 on May 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
I like how each of those also has a collectible CJacobs Snark Line.

• Locked thread