Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
I think it works ok having the bigger action scenes earlier in the movie and finishing with a more psychological style showdown. The villain himself wasn't really a big physical threat anyway.

^ what do you mean, you wanted to see them ...falling all the way and landing the parachute jump? and ...getting flushed out of a tube? dosn't seem like we missed much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

Zero One posted:

Yeah,

Plus in the end there isn't even a fight or showdown with the villain. He just falls into their box and they drive him away. It was like the ending of a kid's TV show where they can't show death.

I was totally expecting the guy to put a bullet in his head.

Also, it hit me about 3/4 of the way in, Ilsa is a better agent than Ethan.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Saw Rogue Nation tonight. Feel like there was basically no story. The "Story" of Rogue Nation is a very loose collection of generic spy movie plot points that are literally simply excuses to introduce the next set-piece. Like there is no story. Every character is just a spy drama cliche acting out their role to completion, wherein the heroes win because they were the best spies. The stakes are "bad spies might continue to exist" and the resolution is "but the good spies stopped these particular ones, good job".

Plot-wise, this felt more like a bad James Bond film than a Mission Impossible film of any quality. Like IMF v. The Syndicate was only a thing to pre-empt MI-6 v. SPECTRE in the upcoming Bond film Spectre.

I have no complaints about the acting, cinematography, or general design of the action sequences and set-pieces. Those were all excellent. But the "story" did not draw me in and propel me from set-piece to set-piece.

I felt like all of the characters were underused. Benji is the second-most prominent character after Ethan. He has the most scenes and most dialogue of any supporting character. This isn't an ensemble picture; It's the Tom Cruise Appreciation Station. I was elated that Ving Rhames was back for this film. He does nothing. Has half a dozen lines and accomplished some things off-camera that are basically magic. Jeremy Renner's character? Also does nothing. He spends the entire film sheepishly admitting that Ethan Hunt is right even though his methods are unstable at best. I constantly expected that they would give his character a chance to shine, do an action scene where he proved to be a capable and good agent. This never happened.

Simon Pegg did get a small chance to flex his acting chops in this film, it's a shame the film wasn't better.

edit: Let me know if I should spoiler-tag any of this.

Snak fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Aug 3, 2015

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Did anyone else notice they kept referring to flash drives as disks? That was kinda weird.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I spent most of Rogue Nation being distracted by how much Simon Pegg and Sean Harris look alike. Other than the nose it was uncanny. Beyond that, it's a solid action-thriller. Ilsa was cool, and I hope they let Rebeca Ferguson beat up more people on film.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Immortan posted:

Broken Arrow was amazing too. I like the song that played whenever Travolta's villain made an entrance. :D

Watch Scream 2. They borrowed that song for Dewey.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Darko posted:

I think they also lifted some of the soundtrack for the build-up to the ending in the theatre.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I really enjoyed this one and would rank it after 4 as my favorite of the series. Grew to really like the British Agent and her storyline. Also that the point of it was for Ethan to out think than bash someone's head in a fight.

I am also enjoying that lately Tom can laugh at himself and take a little piss out doing comedy. That car jump over the hood attempt was great as was his incoherence in realizing what happened. He performed that well. Like with Edge of Tomorrow.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Gatts posted:

I am also enjoying that lately Tom can laugh at himself and take a little piss out doing comedy. That car jump over the hood attempt was great as was his incoherence in realizing what happened. He performed that well. Like with Edge of Tomorrow.

Yeah, I enjoyed that too. Seems like oxygen deprivation had the side-effect of making him a normal person for 20 minutes.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

the truth posted:

My experience was tainted by someone sitting behind me who laughed through about 95% of the movie, made worse by him having a very annoying laugh.

Sucks you can't enjoy a movie? Why even go see them?

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I had an elderly couple behind me and the older woman was super prudish and every scene that had anything vaguely suggestive, she would scoff really loud. The shot when the woman lines up her sniper rifle on her leg which is bare through the slit in her dress? "Oh my lord!" When you see her from the rear climbing a ladder? "Is this really necessary?" When she's in the pool in a bikini? "Oh come on." When Cruise knocks another rider off a motorbike underneath a car? She giggled nonstop. I think she was insane.

Her commentary was cracking me up, though.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

Sucks you can't enjoy a movie? Why even go see them?

Wow, I never thought about it like that!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

This movie was good but God drat they wasted Renner.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

This movie was good but God drat they wasted Renner.

I feel bad for Renner. I feel like he keeps getting caste in roles where he's supposed to be an A-List type action hero, but he ends up as almost superfluous background. Every time I thought he was gonna be awesome in Rogue Nation turned into him just sheepishly admitting that Tom Cruise was right. He had a few funny bits of dialogue. There's a scene where both Tom Cruise and Jeremy Renner start running and I thought "lol it will be a scene where more than one person is doing the 'Tom Cruise Running'" thing, but then it just ended immediately.

No one cared about his Bourne movie because he wasn't Matt Damon. He does the least of any Avenger, and he did almost nothing in Rogue Nation.

I think he's awesome, but his agent needs to step up their game.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

the truth posted:

My experience was tainted by someone sitting behind me who laughed through about 95% of the movie, made worse by him having a very annoying laugh. He was laughing during the fight scenes (he thought the entire opera scene was HILARIOUS), during the talking scenes, when that girl came out of the pool in a bikini, during the chase scene, and whenever they showed Ving Rhames. People kept looking at him and even asked him politely to shut up, but I don't think his English was very good.

I thought the movie had some good ideas, but I wish they had actually finished a few of the big set pieces (e.g. parachuting out of the airplane with the bombs and what happened after the hatch was opened underwater).

Edit: I didn't have a problem with the ending at all. It made sense given events earlier in the movie.

This is eerily identical to my experience watching Rogue Nation. It was a small house and I was seated next to these two boys who couldn't have been more than 15 years old, and one of them found nearly every single scene funny. His laugh was high pitched and ear-splitting, and really deflated a couple of the big comedic relief moments (like Cruise hopping over the car). I didn't say anything mostly because he seemed to be having such a good time...

As for the Renner chat, he seemed to have a much reduced role in this film compared to the last. He was mostly there for exposition or punchlines, and it felt odd after seeing him included in a fair amount the action in Ghost Protocol.

To me, the opening was the most tense sequence in the film. I mean, hopping onto the wing of a plane about to take off and praying that Benji can open the door was nerve-wracking and insane. Knowing that of course Benji must open the door didn't take out the tension for me.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Renner chat: it doesn't look like he had any real scheduling conflicts either, principal wrapped on Avengers 2 before Rogue Nation started filming. Unless he was extensively involved in Avengers 2 reshoots or something, which I guess isn't out of the question.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Just saw MI5, funny it had so much MI6 in it. Pretty fun though, lots of twists and cool action.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

Darko posted:

Travolta owns it though you can't gently caress with this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zwY9aJfaT4

:slick:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Kush posted:

I actually liked that ending and when you think about, that was kind of the only way to end it. I mean how many times can you end these films with Cruise fighting with the henchmen/or the villain in some highly elaborate place and at the last moment defeating them?
You can read more about the ending and other interesting things from the film in this *spoilerific* interview with McQuarrie:
http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplayl...ations-20150801

I like how candid he is about the filming and everything. Seems like a cool dude.

I want to be super famous for 24 hours just so i can talk about how dope it was to kill off Newt in Alien 3.

Then I'll be satisfied.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

CelticPredator posted:

I want to be super famous for 24 hours just so i can talk about how dope it was to kill off Newt in Alien 3.

Then I'll be satisfied.

If I was famous for 24 hours i'd probably find better things to do than tell everyone who cares (nobody) about a bizarre and contrarian opinion i have about a mediocre sci-fi sequel but that's just me

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Wandle Cax posted:

If I was famous for 24 hours i'd probably find better things to do than tell everyone who cares (nobody) about a bizarre and contrarian opinion i have about a mediocre sci-fi sequel but that's just me

Don't tread on my dreams dawg.

agatona
Oct 29, 2010

Snak posted:

Jeremy Renner's character? Also does nothing. He spends the entire film sheepishly admitting that Ethan Hunt is right even though his methods are unstable at best. I constantly expected that they would give his character a chance to shine, do an action scene where he proved to be a capable and good agent. This never happened.

I was feeling this too whenever his character is on screen. It was kind of a let down. His character's saving grace for me is that he was surprisingly funny in a very dry way.

Overall though I enjoyed the movie. Plot/story is simple but if you're looking for good action, you should enjoy this movie. Also, I thought Rebecca Ferguson was amazing and her character was a highlight of the movie for me despite me not always enjoying the female characters of most movies regardless of genre.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Yeah, she grew on me. Initially I was like "Eh." but I think they did a good job developing her and she performed well. She was very naturally beautiful.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I liked that she hugged Tom Cruise at the end of the movie rather than kissing him. Upon reflection, he is old enough to be her father.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
I busted out my BluRay of the first one and holy poo poo does this movie need a remaster.

Having a bunch of recognizable actors get offed in the first act and blowing up the premise of the TV show was pretty clever before there were five of these goddamn things. I distinctly remember spending 96 feeling like nobody was safe in an action movie. That was the same year Executive Decision stopped being a Steven Seagal movie 20 minutes in out of loving nowhere. It had a whole paranoid vibe coming from a post-Cold War realization that the world might actually be less safe with the "bad guy" Soviets in disarray.

Mission Impossible definitely makes up for script deficiencies with De Palma being paid enough to actually try. Tom Cruise made a pretty fun spy movie where he never fires a gun and doesn't have magic Kung Fu powers. Plus there's a scene where a 90s PC laptop has a TV tuner - not sure how it was getting The McLaughlin Group in the Ukraine, but still, that was fun to see as an 11 year old nerd.

TheScott2K fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Aug 5, 2015

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
When you think about it, the entire Mission Impossible movie franchise is based on how good the first one was. MI:2 is very bad. People liked MI:3 when it came out, because Philip Seymour Hoffman was in it, but when Ghost Protocol came out and was so much better, everyone retroactively hated 3. Ghost Protocol was pretty good, it did what Fast 5 did earlier the same year and dialed back the seriousness of the previous films with a more comedic and spectacle-based tone. Rogue Nation is unfortunately a shallow attempt to carbon-copy the success of Ghost Protocol.

I feel like for every sequel except Rogue Nation, my reason for seeing it was hoping that it recaptured the quality of the original. And now I've seen their attempt at recapturing the quality of Ghost Protocol, I again hope that their next movie is more like the original.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Actually they're all pretty good, fun movies.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Snak posted:

When you think about it, the entire Mission Impossible movie franchise is based on how good the first one was. MI:2 is very bad. People liked MI:3 when it came out, because Philip Seymour Hoffman was in it, but when Ghost Protocol came out and was so much better, everyone retroactively hated 3. Ghost Protocol was pretty good, it did what Fast 5 did earlier the same year and dialed back the seriousness of the previous films with a more comedic and spectacle-based tone. Rogue Nation is unfortunately a shallow attempt to carbon-copy the success of Ghost Protocol.

I feel like for every sequel except Rogue Nation, my reason for seeing it was hoping that it recaptured the quality of the original. And now I've seen their attempt at recapturing the quality of Ghost Protocol, I again hope that their next movie is more like the original.

MI:3 is alright if you ignore the bad lifts from True Lies (or superhero comics) and Abrams' smugness about McGuffin being intentionally mysterious. Setpieces in the movie are loving awesome and the whole cast is great, not just Hoffman.

Interesting video essay about the series (I love the observation that Ghost Protocol uses the Lupin III cat-mouse dynamic)

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

MI2 is easily the best one in the series. The rest are also good but they could never hope to beat perfection.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Snak posted:

I'd say the first is possibly the worst, actually, with the train fight being possibly the most silly thing in the entire series (mainly because of how it looks). It has decent interesting scenes, but like many DePalma movies, is a mess in the sum of its parts.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I just can't even ironically enjoy exploding sunglasses and motorcycle jousting set to Limp Bizkit. The freeclimbing intro was neat though, despite the music.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Snak posted:

I liked that she hugged Tom Cruise at the end of the movie rather than kissing him. Upon reflection, he is old enough to be her father.

I thought it was a little weird that there was no mention at all of his wife considering the two prior films.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Electromax posted:

I just can't even ironically enjoy exploding sunglasses and motorcycle jousting set to Limp Bizkit. The freeclimbing intro was neat though, despite the music.

All of those things looked and sounded beautiful when they happened, even if what was happening was stupid. And things were stupid in the Fast and Furious "we're just going to go over the top and have fun with it" way as opposed to a lazy stupid.

For instance, the car race...dance....cliff thing was highly ridiculous but was shot beautifully and had a wonderful score playing as it happened. Hell, Injection is one of the best score pieces Zimmer has done: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dP5OPVA-jKw

Electromax
May 6, 2007

DrNutt posted:

I thought it was a little weird that there was no mention at all of his wife considering the two prior films.

She isn't really his wife anymore, I thought. The end of 4 basically implies that he's watching her from afar, but she's living a new life now. Maybe I'm misremembering.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Electromax posted:

She isn't really his wife anymore, I thought. The end of 4 basically implies that he's watching her from afar, but she's living a new life now. Maybe I'm misremembering.

And then she's looking at him from afar while going out with her new friends and he disappears into a fogbank. It's really not that ambiguous.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I think McQuarrie said the original talk when he was re-writing 'Ghost Protocol' was to kill Ethan's wife off, but they didn't think something as drastic as that was needed. Instead I think the series makes it clear that he can't be a family man. Though if they ever get to the final film of the bunch, I'm sure they'll have a cameo and get together.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Saw it, enjoyed it. Not perfect but drat Tom Cruise works hard to entertain you.

One of the things I love about these movies is that they've totally embraced an almost Science Fiction Secret World sort of aspect, where if you walk down the right alley and put your palm to the right brick a door opens and you're suddenly in a room full of incredibly advanced gadgets and passports and money and guns. Or that the old guy in the next booth at the restaurant is actually a 30-something highly motivated assassin in disguise and his umbrella turns into a rifle that fires his pen caps as explosive gyrojet rounds. You're surrounded by this incredibly advanced science technology that exists just out of sight to keep you safe and complacent in your hundrum status quo existence. It's great.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Darko posted:

I'd say the first is possibly the worst, actually, with the train fight being possibly the most silly thing in the entire series (mainly because of how it looks). It has decent interesting scenes, but like many DePalma movies, is a mess in the sum of its parts.

I think the first one has the strongest storytelling and the least dependence on action set-pieces to carry the film. Rogue Nation's "story" is that some of the most generic and overused cliche spy characters happen to be in the same film.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Snak posted:

I think the first one has the strongest storytelling and the least dependence on action set-pieces to carry the film. Rogue Nation's "story" is that some of the most generic and overused cliche spy characters happen to be in the same film.

The first movie opens with a sequence that kills nearly the entire team and proceeds straight to a set piece that blows out a wall-to-wall aquarium in a restaurant. Ask people what other stuff they remember from M:I-1 and they're gonna tell you about the CIA infiltration sequence and then the train.

You're on shaky ground here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

ruby idiot railed posted:

The first movie opens with a sequence that kills nearly the entire team and proceeds straight to a set piece that blows out a wall-to-wall aquarium in a restaurant. Ask people what other stuff they remember from M:I-1 and they're gonna tell you about the CIA infiltration sequence and then the train.

You're on shaky ground here.

The plot of Mission Impossible is that there was a mole hunt and everyone now thinks tom cruise is the mole. In order to clear his name, he needs to find the real mole while protecting the list of agents from the real mole. The plot of Rogue Nation is that a secret team of Bad Guy Spies called SPECTRE are bad and tom cruise has to stop them by... being the best at everything and always being right. There's supposed to be some kind of tension where Ethan Hunt is a dangerous renegade, but as is carefully explained in many scenes, he doesn't know best and he is so awesome that he cannot be beat. That's the whole movie: Tom Cruise is Awesome.

• Locked thread