Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/my-teen-romantic-comedy-snafu

It's back for another season! I know there's still people here watching this show. :ninja:

Since some people maybe missed the first season, this is a show about a fairly smart high school kid who probably had a pretty similar school life to many of us on these forums. Nerdy, confusing social queues, always coming up short, etc. He turned out really dour, and hates everything and everyone (or so he tells himself because that's the only way to guard yourself against the pain of not fitting in, right??!), and these are his misadventures in a school club about trying to make people happy.

there are several characters in this image but here are the three you should care about :

8man hikigaya

yui yuiga ya-hello

yukino you know actually-

also this guy shows up a lot but dont be alarmed he's totally cool and doesn't absolutely want to be hikigaya's boyfriend

Emalde fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Apr 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

put a big picture of saika in the op

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Davincie posted:

put a big picture of saika in the op

crap i forgot.

fixed

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Ah a thread for this, good. I'm glad this is back.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I am very happy about this anime.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Emalde posted:

crap i forgot.

fixed

thank you

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Guess we've got to get the batman meme out of the way sooner or later.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Needs an 8 on his chest.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

This anime is good but the comedy in the title is often a lie.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Sakurazuka posted:

Well that's what the SNAFU is for.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

It's just dark enough. I think if the show took it any further I wouldn't be able to enjoy it.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Sakurazuka posted:

Yup, with this second episode, yahari S2 can truly begin now! :smith:

Oddly fitting too, as apparently we'll get new OP animation next episode, probably to fit in the new girl.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
I'm glad this show is back. It is a good show. Kinda miss Hachiman's old eyes though.

More importantly;

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I like how likeable they manage to make the actually unlikeable characters.

I don't really like how oddly glowy they made the color designs compared to the first season.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
OP needs Hayama. At this point he's clearly the 4th ranger.

Allarion posted:

Well that's what the SNAFU is for.

Literally this. The title implies that it's not a comedy.

As for the episode itself, I guess they're clearly following up on the theme of him constantly sacrificing himself because he doesn't realize that other people might care about him, but it's not entirely clear to me how what he did this time counts as self-sacrifice. Is being fake-rejected by a girl you don't really like supposed to be painful? Did this damage his social situation in any way? I just don't get it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It wasn't exactly about self sacrifice, more about thinking of others because Yui is in love with him and Yukino knows (and is maybe in love with him as well) and he half knows and did it anyway possibly knowing that hearing him say that to someone else, even if he didn't mean it, it would hurt her, maybe even because he could say it so easily and not mean it.

I'm still not sure what exactly is going on with glasses girl though.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Apr 11, 2015

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

Sounds to me like she hates herself because she's a fujoshi, and doesn't think she deserves to hang out with normal people. She described herself as "rotten" which is pretty much what fujoshi means. Just the same standard self-hatred rationalization as Hachiman.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Sakurazuka posted:

It wasn't exactly about self sacrifice, more about thinking of others because Yui is in love with him and Yukino knows (and is maybe in love with him as well) and he half knows and did it anyway possibly knowing that hearing him say that to someone else, even if he didn't mean it, it would hurt her, maybe even because he could say it so easily and not mean it.
I've been thinking for months that Yui was planning to confess on the Kyoto trip as a parallel to the situation with Tobe confessing to Ebina but I'm backing off that for now. Yui definitely wanted to get closer to Hikki on this trip and was horrified to find out that he wouldn't change, that he would still take actions as if no one cared about him. Yui becomes upset because Hikki treats his relationship with her as superficially as the popular clique that he was requested to protect. As for Yukino, it's not love (yet) and I think based on the source material, her reasons for her anger should be elaborated upon in the next episode.

quote:

I think it's as Miura said: Ebina keeps her distance because she's afraid of letting someone get close enough to her in case they realize how rotten she thinks she is. Ebina hates herself for being unable to get closer to her friends because she values her place in the clique too much to go forward.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

nielsm posted:

I don't really like how oddly glowy they made the color designs compared to the first season.

Studio change, from what I understand.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

it went to studio feel, who is bringing the feels

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Clarste posted:

As for the episode itself, I guess they're clearly following up on the theme of him constantly sacrificing himself because he doesn't realize that other people might care about him, but it's not entirely clear to me how what he did this time counts as self-sacrifice. Is being fake-rejected by a girl you don't really like supposed to be painful? Did this damage his social situation in any way? I just don't get it.

He didn't hurt himself, he hurt Yui and wont/cant recognize her feelings.

E: Does anyone know how much source material there is / how much is left?

The_Frag_Man fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Apr 11, 2015

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

The_Frag_Man posted:

E: Does anyone know how much source material there is / how much is left?
It's up to volume 10 now (there are also *.5 volumes that are just sidestories) with the latest episode finishing volume 7. Truthfully, I want them to slow it down and finish the season with volume 9 as 10 starts a new arc.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

Clarste posted:

Hikigaya used the problem as a pretext to reject Yui by proxy before she could confess, keeping things within the Service Club comfortably static; that's a violation of his philosophy on shallow relationships (see his talk with Hayato earlier in the ep), so he was upset with himself. Yui's upset both because he's thinking of Tobe's feelings as a problem to solve and because she didn't want to see him confessing to anyone else, hence her "think about how other people feel" afterwards. Yukino is upset because Yui is upset and she also suspects that Hikigaya was using a pretext to keep things static in the group, which she finds equally offensive. Hayato is upset because he knew Hikigaya's solution would inevitably have some consequence on the Service Club but relied on him anyway.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Hmm, I guess I just can't see it as "rejecting Yui by proxy" so I didn't really get why anyone cared that much. I mean, even after you explained it to me I still can't really see it... I'll take your word for it.

That does make general thematic sense with the structure of the arc though.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

Clarste posted:

Hmm, I guess I just can't see it as "rejecting Yui by proxy" so I didn't really get why anyone cared that much. I mean, even after you explained it to me I still can't really see it... I'll take your word for it.

That does make general thematic sense with the structure of the arc though.

Yeah, actually I got the nuance all wrong. Second try: he used solving Tobe's problem as a pretext to create an atmosphere in which Yui couldn't possibly confess to him, preserving the status quo in the Service Club.

I think that's better? He wasn't really rejecting her, so much as ensuring the question wouldn't even come up.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Einander posted:

Yeah, actually I got the nuance all wrong. Second try: he used solving Tobe's problem as a pretext to create an atmosphere in which Yui couldn't possibly confess to him, preserving the status quo in the Service Club.

I like your analysis a lot (both posts), very insightful. I don't think he purposefully preserved the status quo in his group via the false confession, but that could be because I don't want that to be the case.

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009
Isn't this the second time Hachiman has stopped Yui from confessing to him? I think it was after they went to the festival in Season 1.

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head
Super hyped that this got a new season! Not a fan of the new OP/EDs but whatever.

I never saw what 8man did as a way to indirectly reject Yui. Not intentionally anyways. I subscribe to the thought that he did what he did because it's the only way he knows how to solve problems.

Can't wait for more wacky adventures with 8man and the gang!

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Mad Lupine posted:

I never saw what 8man did as a way to indirectly reject Yui. Not intentionally anyways. I subscribe to the thought that he did what he did because it's the only way he knows how to solve problems.

When all you've got is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

Powerstone
May 30, 2010

What the fuck is this?
The new character style makes 8man look like the kinda guy you call when you need a "mess" cleaned up.

Powerstone fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Apr 12, 2015

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
I guess I'm kind of confused about what Yukino meant in the last episode after the false confession. Specifically when she said that she hates that 'that' is the only way he knows how to fix things. I interpreted this as she's come around to liking him as she's learned more about his personality and the way he resolves things is to take the hits. It seems like she realizes he's actually a really, really kind person but because of how he's been hurt in the past the only way he knows how to show those traits is to continue hurting himself and that bothers her a lot? Even if you know it's not serious, getting rejected still hurts. And rewinding a bit to last season, he did the same thing when he gave Sasa-whatever the attention she so craved by becoming the devil himself in the eyes of his peers. I already didn't like him, but man after this episode I really hate Hayato. He's just the worst, he uses and uses Hikigaya and then has the gall to judge him all while benefiting as Hikigaya slowly destroys himself.

How wrong am I?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Razzled posted:

I already didn't like him, but man after this episode I really hate Hayato. He's just the worst, he uses and uses Hikigaya and then has the gall to judge him all while benefiting as Hikigaya slowly destroys himself.
How wrong am I?
I don't think he was happy with the situation or his role in it. I think his anger at Hikki is at how much Hikki lets himself be hurt, because Hayato recognizes that Hikki is trying to help others and he thinks Hikki deserves to not be hurt so much. He just couldn't see any other way out aside from letting things blow up, and was probably mad at himself as well.

If anything, I think one of the show's more interesting aspects is how he's shown as a decent but human guy who tries to do right by those around him.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Paracelsus posted:

I don't think he was happy with the situation or his role in it. I think his anger at Hikki is at how much Hikki lets himself be hurt, because Hayato recognizes that Hikki is trying to help others and he thinks Hikki deserves to not be hurt so much. He just couldn't see any other way out aside from letting things blow up, and was probably mad at himself as well.

If anything, I think one of the show's more interesting aspects is how he's shown as a decent but human guy who tries to do right by those around him.

That explanation does make a lot of sense actually. I guess I didn't really understand their exchange at the river.

And yeah, I totally agree with your last statement.

I constantly feel bad for Hikigaya and want him to yell at people, but that's part of what makes him so great-- he's really patient and not prone to tantrums

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Razzled posted:

And yeah, I totally agree with your last statement.
Just to be clear, I was referring to Hayato there.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Paracelsus posted:

Just to be clear, I was referring to Hayato there.

Yeah I know. I guess I wouldn't say that I /hate/ him so much as he's frustrating because he is the only guy who really kind of gets what kind of problems Hikigaya is dealing with but he hasn't done anything helpful yet despite having known about it since last season even.

filthychimp
Jan 2, 2006
Damned dirty ape
I read a bit of the novels (this season starts at volume 7), and that helped clear up Yui and Yukino's motivations for me. Sure, they like Hachiman, but I didn't really get why they seemed so terrifically pissed at Hachiman being Hachiman again when he did the fake confession.

Hachiman turned into a social pariah after the school festival. Sagami (festival chairperson) and friends spread mad rumors after Hachiman verbally abused her. As a result, he went from being ignored most of the time to being actively bullied. Even Yui was avoiding Hachiman at the start of this season, mainly to avoid casting more attention on him. When this season starts a few months after the festival ends, the heat is finally starting to die down.

And then Hachiman fucks it all up again by fake confessing to Ebina.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

8man Returns

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress. I forgot how cringe-worthy this show can get. Are the novels any good? Or is this more akin to the 'Adaptation makes the most out of the source material' kind of thing?

Will2Powa
Jul 22, 2009
No, the books are better because they go into more detail into the context of each scene and 8man's thoughts and motivatios. Though the show does really good at getting the source material across.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Okay so they did skip a bunch of book material between S1 and S2 of the anime?

• Locked thread