Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

nielsm posted:

Okay so they did skip a bunch of book material between S1 and S2 of the anime?
Nope, Volume 6 covered the festival and Volume 7 made up the first two eps of S2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I can think of only one solution to this problem *owns myself*

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Okay rewatching the actual last episode of S1 cleared things up better for me. The one Crunchyroll lists as episode 13 is some weird bonus that doesn't seem to fit there chronologically.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Episodes 11 and 12 were the Culture Festival and the bonus episode 13 was the Sports Festival. Not sure when they normally happen but when I lived there it was during the same week. :shrug:

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
Mmm, I'd say the LNs and the anime are roughly equal? A lot of the stuff the anime prunes out is side-character stuff (Hikigaya plays Uno with the guys!), most of which is extraneous and some of which is good (talking with the teacher over ramen). The anime hits every major point and all of the important bits of Hikigaya's narration are preserved in the anime, while the cuts make the material generally move much faster.

If you only want to look at one, watch the anime. If you really like the series and want more of it, then there's the LNs.

Mind, this assumes that the anime continues on as it has, because the series just generally gets better as it goes. If it screws the pooch at some point then by all means go read the LNs.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Well, that scene in the donut shop managed to be awkward as hell. Eguchi really nailed the voice acting there.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Einander posted:

Mmm, I'd say the LNs and the anime are roughly equal? A lot of the stuff the anime prunes out is side-character stuff (Hikigaya plays Uno with the guys!), most of which is extraneous and some of which is good (talking with the teacher over ramen). The anime hits every major point and all of the important bits of Hikigaya's narration are preserved in the anime, while the cuts make the material generally move much faster.

If you only want to look at one, watch the anime. If you really like the series and want more of it, then there's the LNs.

Mind, this assumes that the anime continues on as it has, because the series just generally gets better as it goes. If it screws the pooch at some point then by all means go read the LNs.

This makes me wonder how far the second season will go. I mean, as far as I know there are like... 10 or 11 volumes currently out? And volume 6.5 or whatever.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Triggerhappypilot posted:

Well, that scene in the donut shop managed to be awkward as hell. Eguchi really nailed the voice acting there.
Voicing two of the best MCs this season.

Also, 8man got his rear end whupped this episode, oh my god.

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

This makes me wonder how far the second season will go. I mean, as far as I know there are like... 10 or 11 volumes currently out? And volume 6.5 or whatever.
It came to light today that Volume 11 would be released in June, about when the season would end. So, they could adapt Volume 10 (which ends on a kind of cliffhanger) and then point to Volume 11 to make people want to see what happens next.

Personally, I really, really want the season to end on Volume 9 + 6.5 Bonus Track, it'd be much more satisfying that way.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

That isn't satisfying for the author's bank account though, so chances are we get a cliffhanger ending

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
Is CR still on a delay for this show?

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
TBS has been burned too often on simulcasts ergo the delay.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Coaaab posted:

TBS has been burned too often on simulcasts ergo the delay.

What's the story behind this?

Also wow, did they recast little sister completely or what? I didn't notice it last episode but she sounds completely different (to what I remember, at least)

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Emalde posted:

Also wow, did they recast little sister completely or what? I didn't notice it last episode but she sounds completely different (to what I remember, at least)

It's still Aoi Yuuki, but the change of studio and director probably means that she got told to tone down the hyperactive.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Triggerhappypilot posted:

It's still Aoi Yuuki, but the change of studio and director probably means that she got told to tone down the hyperactive.
Scene in the previous ep was her usual hyperactive self, scene this ep was more serious, so she did a more serious voice.

Coaaab fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Apr 17, 2015

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Emalde posted:

Is CR still on a delay for this show?
Oh are you- *sigh* What's the weeaboo name for this again? Oregairu? Hai, hai.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

the coffee shop scene was so incredibly awkward

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

That was Yukino's big sister right? She's scary.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Hayato take it down a notch dude :sbahj:

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Those piano pieces in the background have been doing an excellent job of setting the tone, with the cover of the S1 ED for that sunset scene being a particular highlight.

The_Frag_Man posted:

That was Yukino's big sister right? She's scary.
She is terrifying.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

That was a great episode. It seems our hero read between the lines and understood Yui's declaration. Also Hayato is cool. He's smart too.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

I really didn't expect this show to get a second season. Guess I'll need to finish up the first one soon then.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Emalde posted:

Hayato take it down a notch dude :sbahj:

Nah, Hayato owns and going 'Hey, see what it's like?' was a pretty decent shot at showing Hiki the real cost of his actions.

Kaelan Zero
Nov 30, 2004

smut

Sakurazuka posted:

Nah, Hayato owns and going 'Hey, see what it's like?' was a pretty decent shot at showing Hiki the real cost of his actions.
For me the most interesting thing about that scene: You get the impression that Hayato actually hurt a handful of people with it - bringing Yui and Yukino over in time to watch him do that and see how Hachiman responded. They get this glimpse into how bad he was being treated all day and simultaneously they're being used as props to stage this scene to make the lovely girls feel bad. That's the feeling I got from the way they were acting during that whole scene.

Meanwhile Hachiman is just profoundly uncomfortable. Up until that point he had been politely taking it all and interacting with the girls the minimum amount necessary; being nice. Suddenly the whole thing is a mess and his expression during the whole scene is this mixture of shock and dismay and confusion. The way he responds to Hayato afterwards is really awkward as a result. The way Yukino's older sister describes him kind of captures this: He sees malice everywhere, so his brain is literally unable to process what is going on here - not only is someone actively being kind but it's hard to read any malice into it, there's obviously nothing but benevolent intent. Simultaneously, Hayato is talking him up in a way that nobody else in the environment would - what he says about Hachiman's relationship with Yui & Yukino is fairly accurate but that seems like something he actively does not want to accept or acknowledge.

Yukino's sister is a real manipulative monster but most importantly, I don't quite have a read on what her goals were in this episode. She was obviously using Hachiman as a tool, but for what ends? She clearly likes messing with him and Hayato for entertainment, but it seemed like she knew that this would contribute to Yukino running for president (to avoid seeing Hachiman hurt again) and maybe there was some other objective as well? Her having the phone number of Hachiman's little sister is... deeply unsettling, somehow. Does she have every single person in her little sister's social graph on speed-dial?

I think this is one of the only episodes where we get a full, strong depiction of what Hachiman was probably like before the series starts: This extremely strong sense of learned helplessness, a defensive behavior where he just retreats and does the bare minimum necessary to endure things until they end. He was probably doing this for years and years.

That former classmate is interesting too. It's hard to figure out what her deal is. I imagine she has motives that would be clearer in the LNs.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Kaelan Zero posted:

For me the most interesting thing about that scene: You get the impression that Hayato actually hurt a handful of people with it - bringing Yui and Yukino over in time to watch him do that and see how Hachiman responded. They get this glimpse into how bad he was being treated all day and simultaneously they're being used as props to stage this scene to make the lovely girls feel bad. That's the feeling I got from the way they were acting during that whole scene.

Meanwhile Hachiman is just profoundly uncomfortable. Up until that point he had been politely taking it all and interacting with the girls the minimum amount necessary; being nice. Suddenly the whole thing is a mess and his expression during the whole scene is this mixture of shock and dismay and confusion. The way he responds to Hayato afterwards is really awkward as a result. The way Yukino's older sister describes him kind of captures this: He sees malice everywhere, so his brain is literally unable to process what is going on here - not only is someone actively being kind but it's hard to read any malice into it, there's obviously nothing but benevolent intent. Simultaneously, Hayato is talking him up in a way that nobody else in the environment would - what he says about Hachiman's relationship with Yui & Yukino is fairly accurate but that seems like something he actively does not want to accept or acknowledge.

Yukino's sister is a real manipulative monster but most importantly, I don't quite have a read on what her goals were in this episode. She was obviously using Hachiman as a tool, but for what ends? She clearly likes messing with him and Hayato for entertainment, but it seemed like she knew that this would contribute to Yukino running for president (to avoid seeing Hachiman hurt again) and maybe there was some other objective as well? Her having the phone number of Hachiman's little sister is... deeply unsettling, somehow. Does she have every single person in her little sister's social graph on speed-dial?

I think this is one of the only episodes where we get a full, strong depiction of what Hachiman was probably like before the series starts: This extremely strong sense of learned helplessness, a defensive behavior where he just retreats and does the bare minimum necessary to endure things until they end. He was probably doing this for years and years.

That former classmate is interesting too. It's hard to figure out what her deal is. I imagine she has motives that would be clearer in the LNs.

The only thing I can think of regarding Yukino and her sister is:
I think Haruno is forcing Yukino to make a decision on whether or not she wants to take action in actively helping Hikigaya and bringing him around to a point where they can have a healthy relationship. Basically forcing her to act on her feelings instead of letting others resolve everything.

At the same time, Yukino taking action by running in the election has forced Yuigahama's hand too which is why she's now planning on running as well. Yuigahama almost straight out confessed again but she knows now that the early damage done to Hikigaya needs to be fixed before anything can happen on that front.

Also I enjoyed reading your analysis of that scene, it cleared a couple things up for me as well. Also it felt really good to see someone sticking up for Hikigaya (even if it wasn't necessarily the "right" way, it was *his* way)

e: Also god drat Hayato wasn't kidding when he said Haruno likes to thoroughly crush people she doesn't like. She basically took these two girls who were being lovely to Hikigaya and made their idol of affection tell them they are the worst and should shut up.

Razzled fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Apr 25, 2015

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

tbh i don't think there's all that much to the former classmate besides being a dick

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Razzled posted:

e: Also god drat Hayato wasn't kidding when he said Haruno likes to thoroughly crush people she doesn't like. She basically took these two girls who were being lovely to Hikigaya and made their idol of affection tell them they are the worst and should shut up.

I guess she (evil sister) was in on the plan. Or maybe it was her idea? E: It seemed like it was Hayato's idea, but maybe big sister just made him think that.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Hayato...might actually own!?

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

paragon1 posted:

Hayato...might actually own!?
Hayato's been shown to actually be a pretty cool guy since the beginning, it's just that Hachiman couldn't accept that (as well as was resentful for all the tools Hayato was given for his success) and Hayato really didn't understand Hachiman at first. Now that he does, he's clearly trying to help in his own way.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

Anyone understand what the Haruno meant when she said she learned what she came there for?

I suspect Haruno has some kind of hold on Hayato and is able to get him to do things he would rather not do. Otherwise, things wouldn't have worked out the way they did.

Haruno obviously has an unnatural interest in Hikigaya, but I can't tell if her intentions are evil or good.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
The impression I get is that Hayama liked Haruno and confessed to her at some point in the past. She's constantly teasing him about how much more boring he is than Hikki, her initial is Y. (Yukinoshita Haruno), etc. He also showed a bit of jealousy towards Hikigaya last episode when he pointed out that she only torments the people she likes. Actually, I thought this was supposed to be obvious, or at least as obvious as anything else in this show. They were constantly pointing out the parallels between his situation and Hikigaya's, with the other girl.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Apr 25, 2015

Classy Hydra
Oct 30, 2011

You did wrong, Jack,
rest your soul.
Hayama seems to see Hikigaya as someone essentially like himself, who just happens to see himself as too worthless to bother with society. Unfortunately, he isn't (totally) correct, which is sort of the point. If his little stunt had any positive effect, it was in a vastly different way than he expected.

The central tragedy of the show seems to be that everyone thinks they have a perfect read of everyone around them, and that leads to disappointment and frustration when they fail to live up to their expectations. Ironically, the only one who appears to have an accurate view of how people actually are is Haruno, who's the most unreadable of the lot.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I don't think Hayama is inherently wrong about Hikki, Hikki's defenses are just too strong. Trying to help him any way at all implies that he's weak in some way, and he can't afford to let himself believe that. His whole identity at this point is caught up in "they're not rejecting me, I'm rejecting them", so I don't think it's even possible for him to accept outside help.

I guess you could twist that into "Hayama's understanding of him was too shallow", but I don't think it really matters what Hayama did.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Clarste posted:

I don't think Hayama is inherently wrong about Hikki, Hikki's defenses are just too strong. Trying to help him any way at all implies that he's weak in some way, and he can't afford to let himself believe that. His whole identity at this point is caught up in "they're not rejecting me, I'm rejecting them", so I don't think it's even possible for him to accept outside help.

I guess you could twist that into "Hayama's understanding of him was too shallow", but I don't think it really matters what Hayama did.

I think you hit the nail on the head about hikigaya. He's built up this very robust self assured solidarity to protect himself from being hurt again and that is now his biggest obstacle course in self growth. In order to move forward he has to bring down his defenses and leave himself vulnerable again and believe that his friends will be there to hold him up this time.

That's how I see it so far anyway

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Razzled posted:

I think you hit the nail on the head about hikigaya. He's built up this very robust self assured solidarity to protect himself from being hurt again and that is now his biggest obstacle course in self growth. In order to move forward he has to bring down his defenses and leave himself vulnerable again and believe that his friends will be there to hold him up this time.

That's how I see it so far anyway

You're exactly right. That's why that teacher put him in the club in the first place, because that kind of thing wont happen while he's secluding himself.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I Can't Believe My Anime is This Psychological!

Kaelan Zero
Nov 30, 2004

smut

Sakurazuka posted:

I Can't Believe My Anime is This Psychological!
It's nice to still see an anime or two almost every season that respects the viewer's intelligence & isn't overloaded with fanservice. I'm sure the bluray sales are terrible, though. I'm still a little shocked that the author managed to make high school bullshit compelling to me.

The Saika stuff is amusing since I assumed it was added to S1 & S2 to appeal to the rotten demographic, but I guess it was actually all over in the original work? Judging by the stuff I've seen from the VN it might have actually been more amped-up in the original.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

HikkiXSaika is my OTP and I seriously wish the show would go in that direction instead of just playing it for laughs.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

the very fact that there is a season 2 indicates sales were at least okay. i also googled it and it got 10th place last year outselling the pedo fate spinoff and kiniro mosaic. its first blu ray also sold out on the first day, so yeah good sales

edit: looking at various sale graphs its always in the top 10, sometimes going as high as place 4

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Sakurazuka posted:

HikkiXSaika is my OTP and I seriously wish the show would go in that direction instead of just playing it for laughs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

They should at least make it an OVA alternative ending or something.

• Locked thread