Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress. I forgot how cringe-worthy this show can get. Are the novels any good? Or is this more akin to the 'Adaptation makes the most out of the source material' kind of thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Namtab posted:

Remember when the twist of haganai was that they were friends all along, it's gonna be the same for this imho

That dumb twist was the least of that show's problems. The one good thing it had going on was the scientist girl voiced by the same VA that voices Sakura Kasugano... which to this day I still can't unhear.

Hikki being his own worst enemy is a thing that, at least in my opinion, has way more gravitas in a series like this one as opposed to Watamote.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Hopefully the 8man will pick the right choice.

Hint: It's the cute, plucky girl with big baps. Don't be a douchenozzle, Hikki!

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

Yui is first, cool. Iroha is second? :psyduck: That actually took me by surprise. I mean her interaction with 8man has been top notch, but right behind Yui close?

No idea about third.

The ribbon is fourth.

:catstare: at ninth.

I find it incredibly funny that, between Saori Hayami (Yukino, Seraph of the End's Shinoa at 5th and Yamada-kun's Urara at 10th) and Nao Toyama (Yui and the powerful Karen at 8th), the characters they're voicing this season make up half the list. Also, Onodera being anywhere on this list is proof enough that Japanese nerds need to get it under their thick skulls that being a "pure maiden" is not a substitute for an almost complete lack of personality...

... even if HanaKana occasionally pulls out her goofy voicings for her.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I think, however, the main point that everyone is trying to make is that Haruno should cut them some loving slack because GODDAMNSHIT, lady, baby steps.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

chumbler posted:

There needs to be a Komachi vs Haruno guidance sister showdown.

It's all about how many points they earn by the end with you, isn't it? :colbert:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Classy Hydra posted:

I get the impression that Haruno loves her sister, but doesn't like her in the slightest. Naturally, that allows her to do things she thinks are important to Yukino's growth, but may hurt her in the short term.

Hikigaya said it himself earlier; family members are your closest strangers, and even he probably wouldn't give a poo poo about Komachi if they hadn't grown up together. Oftentimes you care for your siblings without actually caring about them.

While this could be true, I think one of the things that has remained for the most part the same between seasons is the fact that, despite them having pretty much maintaining a similar level of interactions (with a small bump on the road here and there), it's obvious that Hachiman dotes on / cares for Komachi beyond the fact that he has spent 15 years of his life being around her. While I have yet to check the novels (I'm totally going to, at some point), so I might be talking out of my rear end, I recently rewatched Season 1 and one of the moments to best observe this is when Saki's little brother starts calling him 'Nii-san' or something similar. At that moment, Hachiman actually got slightly mad / on the defensive at the prospect of this little squirt trying to get all chummy with his little sister, though probably (and I think this being the most likely reason Taishi started calling him that; this is S1 Hachiman we're talking about, after all) Taishi was trying to appeal to him because he needed help with Saki's situation and the 8man just misinterpreted the whole thing.

I like this show. I kinda feel silly for deriding it in one of my earlier posts when I first started posting here because I thought that the title was loving idiotic. I mean, I still think the title is longer than needed (and somewhat idiotic), but I've grown fond of the setting and now I understand that this could be one of the many dumb things that Hikki could be talking/thinking about with regards to his life early on. Hikki's character arc has been fun. It's kinda how like in Nichibros, most of the characters feel like the typical side characters, and Hikki at first gives you that sort of vibe: An unlikely protagonist.

With regards to the Yukinoshita siblings, one of the things I'm reminded of is a less stereotypical and kinda darker version of the 'aloof big sister' thing that happens a lot in manga/anime/video games. One of the more recent examples I can recall is the relationship between Miho and Maho from Girls und Panzer in that both siblings clearly care for each other but due to past circumstances, they're kinda crap at showing it. In Haruno and Yukino's case, however, is more that Haruno has this big-rear end burden that she has to bear and her way of letting the stress off is to tease the everloving poo poo out of her little sister and whoever close to Yukino is nearby, even though she cares about her. Of course, given some evidence (like the fact that Yukino is actually scared of park rides due to Haruno and the theory my daughter has that Haruno actually prevented Hayato from bailing Yukino out from whatever incident got her marginalized/bullied); I could also be wrong and Haruno is just a gigantic shithead for no reason other than she can.

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

"Excuse me, you're being kind of a bitch, and it's weird that you're hanging out with high school kids. Please leave."

Additionally, this. The only reason I've ever gone back to my college after graduating is when I needed an updated copy of my kardex / grades card for a job offer. I had to go on January and, despite the fact that I'm friends with some of the staff there (the teacher who taught me DBA for like a third of my career is a consummate metalhead and I actually got her souvenirs whenever I went on tour or saw a band she might like; the teacher in charge of signing my hours for professional practices is the same dude that actually saved my rear end from a bar brawl by bitch-slapping a guy into unconsciousness), we'd never hang out at school.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress. Not cool, anime. Not cool at all. :arghfist::(

Davincie posted:

man if women grow up to look like their mothers the choice seems easily made

yuigahamama ftw

It's not just about having the bigger baps, it's also about not screwing over your progeny so badly that they end up as emotionally stunted as... you know. Getting voiced by Sayaka Ohara also helps. :3:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Shere posted:

Every scene Haruno's in winds up feeling like a complete asspull to me because she as a character is almost too loving ridiculous to exist.

It might be a fault of the anime and not the source material, but in the show she just appears and says exactly the wrong thing to bump the plot along the most uncomfortable path, like a dramatic impetus engine.

She doesn't feel like an organic part of the plot at all. She might as well just teleport into and out of scenes with a dramatic flourish and maybe a mic drop at the end.

Stop lingering around your former high school you weirdo.

Isn't the whole reason she hangs around her former high school due to the fact that the high school is an annex for the college she's attending?

I mean, it still doesn't justify her showing up all the drat time, but it could be kinda understandable.

What's not justifiable is how she sees the whole 'rivalry' with her sister as something endearing. The fact that Yukino was / still is super closed-off is probably mostly Haruno's fault, and she still has the gall of being a humongous shithead to both her and Hayama.

She kinda feels more like a girl-version of Izaya... except Izaya is kinda amusing because of his dickery. Could she have a similar raison d'être? That she just can't help herself?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Cubemario posted:

It's always faster to learn Japanese, than wait for translations. LNs aren't a new thing, way back when the Haruhi and Spice and Wolf LNs (perhaps a couple others I forgot) were translated. But Yen Press wasn't getting the right sales for them back then, so it didn't become much of a thing, so they continued focusing on Manga.

It wasn't until the last couple years or so, that they've tried in earnest again. They've been quoted saying in an article that the market is ready for LNs now, but they weren't several years ago, and their numbers reflect that.

So as a result, you're seeing more and more LNs being picked up by Yen Press each year.

At first, I was surprised to find out that some of my favorite old-school animes (Dirty Pair, Slayers, LOGH, and Eternal Filena, for example) were originally Light Novels. I think that, as a form of entertainment, Light Novels have been somewhat popular for a while. It's just that as of recently, fan translations have been popping up like crazy. One of my friends in Tokyo swears that she has a Street Fighter Zero official novel which is pretty much Bakemonogatari 10 years before it came out, only with Sakura and Ryu in place of Senjougahara and ze' Aryaragi (sorry, I stuttered).

Back to the 8man, Yuki-Onna and Ya-Hello, while I enjoyed this season way more than I did the first, I don't actually think this is going to get a third season, which kinda saddens me, because Studio Feel really stepped up their game and brought a really fun, cringe-worthy ride to the end destination. If we ever get a bone thrown our way, at most, I think this could probably get a few OVA/ONA's to finish the series like it happened with that one show with Mamiko Noto playing a Mary-Sue very nice young lady with an otaku hobby.

Also, I'm curious as to what / and how much the Anime left out from the novels and if it's worth it. Should I start throwing money at my Japanese friends so that they can get me the novels or should I wait until Yen Press releases their version?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I find Hachiman to be a really compelling character, even though in reality he's not all that different from the standard LN / Harem manga protagonist, at least early on. Part of what I really enjoy about him is just how he bounces off of people. Also, the dude voicing him (Takuya Eguchi, also responsible for voicing the MANLIEST MAN THIS SEASON) did a really good job in making him sound awkward. Like he's already ready to follow on the steps of Kenta "Thor" Miyake or Hiroki Yasumoto and he's able to do really deep, badass voices, but he can also sound hella awkward, cringe-worthy and you loving buy it when he does it.

gently caress. Now I want a third season to happen.

• Locked thread