Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009
"Oh, they're going to cut his head off and he'll die!"

It's been done before, idiots. It's not a new idea, it's just never been done on a person.

The head survived.

I mean the body was paralyzed from the neck down because the spine got severed, but the head survived and so did the body. Head could still respond. You had a paralyzed monkey trapped the hell that is a working but immobile body. Then it died after nine days.

So he's not going to die during the surgery, he's going to suffer for a while after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

It's been done before, idiots. It's not a new idea, it's just never been done on a person.

The head survived.

I mean the body was paralyzed from the neck down because the spine got severed, but the head survived and so did the body. Head could still respond. You had a paralyzed monkey trapped the hell that is a working but immobile body. Then it died after nine days.

So he's not going to die during the surgery, he's going to suffer for a while after.

Actually, I believed they euthanized the two rhesus monkeys they used in the experiment, which is a big difference. Robert White said that they found that there's little to no rejection of the head, likely because of the blood-brain barrier. And by respond, they were abnormally aggressive, trying to bite the researchers, although this is less to do with the transplant itself and more to the monkeys reacting to the situation.

White's talked about the head transplant in regards to human transplantation and has said that the main issues is spinal reconnection, but if this Italian scientist says they have a way to work out spinal regeneration, then they're good to go.

I still don't think the Russian test subject will likely survive.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Monstrous Dooklord posted:

Russia has never moved past the cold war in a lot of respects but I'm really glad to see they've finally graduated from dog heads to human ones in this weird hosed up fetish they seem to have for transplanting heads onto things

There's a popular Russian sci-fi novel from the 1920s that's about head transplants. There was also a movie:

Russia really loves heads.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

spacetoaster posted:

"Heavier than air flight is impossible."
- scientists

Well it is, that's where propulsion comes into play.

You know what, if this does work imagine all the fat people wanting thin people's bodies. And then getting head transplant after head transplant because they keep destroying them with their massive food intake.

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
Didn't some Russians try this on dogs before and it very much did not work

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

AirCav58 posted:

He could be the russian professor X. He could get so laid from that.

It would be really chilling if his head fell off during the act. Hopefully they stick it on good.

old fat bird
Oct 27, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

Didn't some Russians try this on dogs before and it very much did not work

there's only one video of it seemingly "working" without much explanation or follow up, just because this is Russia I'd say it's safe to expect some similar results this time as well

Lost Canyoneer
Nov 1, 2009
I could handle this. I've had lots of hangovers where it felt like my head was rejecting my body, but I still pulled through.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
To me, this isn't really freaky at all. There's articles about it that hype up how scary it is, and "the UNKNOWN is going to happen to his mind!", wooo creepy! But to me, this could set a revolution in motion for humanity. If it works, it will be as big as some of the most influential technical breakthroughs in human history.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

To me, this isn't really freaky at all. There's articles about it that hype up how scary it is, and "the UNKNOWN is going to happen to his mind!", wooo creepy! But to me, this could set a revolution in motion for humanity. If it works, it will be as big as some of the most influential technical breakthroughs in human history.

i, for one, am excited for my grand children to be ruled by the exact same rear end holes in power today, tomorrow!

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

kazr posted:

i, for one, am excited for my grand children to be ruled by the exact same rear end holes in power today, tomorrow!

immortality is statistically impossible

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 51 minutes!
Gravy Boat 2k
I mean, regardless of your body's age I imagine your brain will eventually just loving fall apart.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION
when they do this they should get like 8 dudes necks and put em all in the middle so the resulting guy has a realy long slinky neck haha

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

I'm actually kind of excited for this in a macabre "what will happen?" sort of way. Either the guy dies, or the doctor manages to get in the history books for pulling off a really loving bonkers procedure.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Wessssssssst

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Terrible site but with a pic of the actual dude. Werdneg-Hoffman is p equivalent to being a head in a jar anyway :(
http://distractify.com/Myka-Fox/get-ahead-of-yourself/

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

(Sometimes) I love science.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

midnightclimax posted:

Who cares about head, I want dick transplants. I just want a big dick.

This is already possible. Some researchers did it with a guy in South Africa. Just recently, in fact.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
This is loving awesome and if it will lead to me someday being able to have a robot body I am 100% for it.

I'm most interested to see the ramifications on his brain. Afaik a lot of your personality is due to your body and hormones it produces, so it'll be interesting to see what's up.

Dude is gonna have to be on crazy immuno suppressants his whole life probably.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
did we ever figure out where this body is coming from

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007

Monkey Fracas posted:

An 18 year old college freshperson who thought they were sober enough to drive

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Monkey Fracas posted:

i'm exited for this technology, all we need to do is get some DNA from some hosed up anencephaly babies and clone them! no brain = no problems!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anencephaly

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

AirCav58 posted:

An 18 year old college freshperson who thought they were sober enough to drive

would be a pretty good anti-drunk-driving PSA IMO

"Drive Safe, or Someone Else Will Drive Your Body!"

Carnival of Shrews
Mar 27, 2013

You're not David Attenborough
Don't panic , they have a backup plan:

Image courtesy of this Youtube rendition of Roald Dahl's classic 'William and Mary'. Worth persevering with for the quality of acting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loD4_-FxD6w

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Monkey Fracas posted:

would be a pretty good anti-drunk-driving PSA IMO

"Drive Safe, or Someone Else Will Drive Your Body!"

You can see a fat russian oligarch head going out with his gf, the climax is the oligarch loving his mom with his body.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The head survived.

That's cool and all but this guy also did a rally cool thing where he took the monkeys brain out and kept it alive for a bit. So imagine being aware but not having and senses or anything

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

frank.club posted:

So imagine being aware but not having and senses or anything

This sounds like a very pleasant existence.

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
it says it could eat and so I'm GUESSING it could poop. What more does a monkey really want?

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it was a quadriplegic tho

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

Here's my prediction of his first words 'AAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHUGHHHHH KILL ME'

sort of like the xfiles episode with the genie and the invisible dude

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

it says it could eat and so I'm GUESSING it could poop. What more does a monkey really want?

to fling poo poo

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Frankenstyle posted:

Somewhere out there, Steven Hawking just got an erection.

According to his bio pic he enjoys alot of erections

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

you guys remember that episode of aqua teen where they put carl's head on a body that was nothing but eyeballs

Freemason Rush Week
Apr 22, 2006

hemophilia posted:

For real though if they ever figure out how to do something like this you're going to have a ton of people who had 'human trafficing' as oneof their pet causes behind being a genderfluid shegirl and they're oging to go out of their way to justify slavery to speed up the line for their new tits and pussybody

Well that's stupid, just have every FtM and every MtF switch bodies. It'd be like a key party but with a marginally higher chance of cerebral hemorrhaging.

Well, that and you don't switch back.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Mr. Horrible posted:

Well that's stupid, just have every FtM and every MtF switch bodies. It'd be like a key party but with a marginally higher chance of cerebral hemorrhaging.

Well, that and you don't switch back.

This is fertile ground for hilarious pranks.

"Haha! I was pregnant!"

"Joke's on you! I'm a meth addict!"

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

This is fertile ground for hilarious pranks.

"Haha! I was pregnant!"

you need to write about this and charge a dollar for people to read about it on amazon. something like "The Billionaire Sheik who Transpranked my Gay rear end"

youre wife
Dec 25, 2014

by Ralp
Is it really a head transplant or s full body transplant? Will the guy continue life as himself or resume the body's old life?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

youre wife posted:

Is it really a head transplant or s full body transplant? Will the guy continue life as himself or resume the body's old life?

according to google:

quote:

Death Legal Definition: Irreversible cessation of circulatory and respiratory functions and of all functions of the entire brain, including the brain stem.

this means that because the donor bodies brain is dead but the circulatory and respiratory functions are still going he would count as alive and that person. he would also be himself, because his brain functions continue. he would become two legal persons at once :eng101:

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

Pretty sure that's a brain problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

how me a frog posted:

Pretty sure that's a brain problem.

I'm not really sure how a physical dependence on a drug would work if you have a body that's used to it but a brain that isn't.

We'd all be learning as we go.

• Locked thread