Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

I'm not really sure how a physical dependence on a drug would work if you have a body that's used to it but a brain that isn't.

We'd all be learning as we go.

Well you would. The rest of us may have picked up a science textbook at some point in our lives...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

how me a frog posted:

Well you would. The rest of us may have picked up a science textbook at some point in our lives...

lol, yes, meth is never present in a person's bloodstream or organs, it's just a brain thing.

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

lol, yes, meth is never present in a person's bloodstream or organs, it's just a brain thing.

No such thing as a half life, once you take a single meth it stays in your system forever ~*...

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

I mean the body was paralyzed from the neck down because the spine got severed

As long as they remove the spinal cord in one piece the peripheral nerves will re-grow connections to it easily and quickly.

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax
is there a livestream to keep us updated

i wanna follow this madness

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

Seems there's already not much body to the volunteer, this might be easier than predicted.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

spacetoaster posted:

As long as they remove the spinal cord in one piece the peripheral nerves will re-grow connections to it easily and quickly.

yeah in theory, but this russian guys plan is to just "use a really sharp knife" and hopefully it wont do too much damage and they can glue the spines together

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
i'm getting a wiener swap

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan
150 doctors and 36 hours... that's either some extremely short shifts or a very crowded room.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

So when's this poo poo going down

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Moridin920 posted:

This is loving awesome and if it will lead to me someday being able to have a robot body I am 100% for it.

I'm most interested to see the ramifications on his brain. Afaik a lot of your personality is due to your body and hormones it produces, so it'll be interesting to see what's up.

Dude is gonna have to be on crazy immuno suppressants his whole life probably.

Yeah, the hormonal changes are probably going to be the biggest factor if they can successfully bridge the spinal column. As I said, Robert White's experiment with the rhesus monkeys might make the need for immunosuppressants debateable. The brain itself will be unaffected, but it's a question whether the surrounding organs will not be rejected.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Wasn't this a xfiles movie that basically one upped Buffalo Bill w/ a transgender who wanted their head transplanted onto a female body's?

Looking forward to this break though in having faces literally melt off living skulls as the immune system goes nuts attacking the head.

That volunteer dude has got to be better off as a little wheelchair fellah with crippled but functional appendages rather than a quadrapalegic dude going insane from the foreign endocrine system loving up his brain as the foreign immune system starts eating his head from the neck up.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

"A hitherto never experienced level and quality of insanity" is the best phrase I've read in quite awhile.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Rutibex posted:

according to google:

this means that because the donor bodies brain is dead but the circulatory and respiratory functions are still going he would count as alive and that person. he would also be himself, because his brain functions continue. he would become two legal persons at once :eng101:

It's hard enough for me to keep track of two email addresses :(

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I hope this works so we can force all the racists to get body transplants in order to end racism.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

im gonna transplant my head onto a polar bear body

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

The Taint Reaper posted:

I hope this works so we can force all the racists to get body transplants in order to end racism.

i hope it doesn't, i don't wanna be compelled to swap bodies with an inbred tweaker from arizona

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Otisburg posted:

Looking forward to this break though in having faces literally melt off living skulls as the immune system goes nuts attacking the head.

the skull is going to be attacked by the immune system too, its not going to be living for long. bone marrow compatibility is a thing

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Pharmaskittle posted:

"A hitherto never experienced level and quality of insanity" is the best phrase I've read in quite awhile.

Dexter is real now thanks to sci fi head transplant.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Sounds as though this guy is fed up with his life so figures he might as well donate himself to medical science because it can't get much worse.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

TheMostFrench posted:

it can't get much worse.

"A hitherto never experienced level and quality of insanity"

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Rocking the 3ds max in the background. Let's hope it goes smoother than Service Pack 3 :kiddo:

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
I really hope they let you change sexes. I want to try a lady on for size.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
they should play a certain Yeah Yeah Yeahs! song during the operation

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
the only cool thing about the new robocop was when they just showed his head spine and lungs

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

AirCav58 posted:

I really hope they let you change sexes. I want to try a lady on for size.

maybe a rental service? they could install a universal "neck clamp" system in the heads and bodies, so that it is easy to swap out at your convenience

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'd be down to have a woman's body for a weekend or whatever.

Not permanently of course but it'd be fun. Being bi probably helps.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Bone marrow compatibility will not be a problem. I am sure they will find an unfortunate gulag prisoner who had an accident and is now brain dead. Oh hey, look this guys medical record says he would be compatible... oh hang on here goes my phone. "Hello?....."
That is most peculiar. He just had a terrible accident.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Otisburg posted:

Wasn't this a xfiles movie that basically one upped Buffalo Bill w/ a transgender who wanted their head transplanted onto a female body's?

Yeah. And it sucked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.

I'm not really sure how a physical dependence on a drug would work if you have a body that's used to it but a brain that isn't.

We'd all be learning as we go.

heroin withdrawals would be funny i bet, "why does my new body have these frigged up black marks everywhere and why do my limbs ache so bad, is my head rejecting the body??" "no you're just part junkie now"

• Locked thread