Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IzzyFnStradlin
Jun 19, 2004

Snatch Duster posted:

I remember when Brooklyn was filled with blacks.

Under the vegetable posted:

eight million dollars for an apartment in bed-stuy. white people have gone too far.

we're just reclaiming the city that we built. the city that is rightfully ours. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

old fat bird
Oct 27, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Does anyone still think New York is cool aside from New Yorkers??

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Monstrous Dooklord posted:

Does anyone still think New York is cool aside from New Yorkers??

Yeah, but I also like living in DC.

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

IzzyFnStradlin posted:

we're just reclaiming the city that we built. the city that is rightfully ours. :)

Han Solomon
Mar 7, 2015

BOUND
AND
GAGGED
i know someone who moved to brooklyn from overseas a few years ago. shes a big dumb hipster so i can only assume thats what the rest of brooklyn is like

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

A city that thrives on hype since how else could you trick people into willingly relocating to a filthy rat infested city.

Bowlcutbarricade
Dec 27, 2014

I just looked it up and the very cheapest rent you can get for a studio apartment in Brooklyn is $1300 dollars a month. lol

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Bowlcutbarricade posted:

I just looked it up and the very cheapest rent you can get for a studio apartment in Brooklyn is $1300 dollars a month. lol

Still better than SF in which studio apartments go for $3k or the reasonable price of 2k if you don't mind living in the famous tenderloin.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

that's right GBS! brooklyn sucks! never go there, it's best for everybody

Sas
Oct 29, 2014

I can't find that country on a world map OP - are you thinking of Belgium, or maybe Belize?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

the black husserl posted:

that's right GBS! brooklyn sucks! never go there, it's best for everybody

Brooklyn is p. cool but like most places that are p. cool it's vastly overrated and unless you're really rich all you'll do while living there is suck a ton of cock.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
gently caress Brooklyn. gently caress gentrification.

gently caress you petty bourgeoisie hipster douches.

Iron_Orchid
May 31, 2012

Everything they do is so flamboyant it makes me want to set myself on fire
Brooklyn is okay but IMHO letting the Disney company name your 'hood after that one fat annoying Gargoyle really hurt your PR back in '95...

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

"If you can make it here, you can make it anywhere." How about I don't even try making it where it's cold, expensive, and everybody is an rear end in a top hat.

Also, Finacheludiabella's makes the best pizza. And Glubersteinburg's makes the best corned beef.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
I stayed in Brooklyn for a few weeks a few years ago with a friend going to the new school for fashion design. I walked around a lot, drank beer from Duane Reade at 3 am, and went clubbing in manhattan with her. Brooklyn's nice if you're rich or living off loans and your parents' money and you're white and hopelessly bougie.

Philly's better.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011
If I were to move back to NYC, I'd probably live in Long Island City.

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

Under the vegetable posted:

I stayed in Brooklyn for a few weeks a few years ago with a friend going to the new school for fashion design. I walked around a lot, drank beer from Duane Reade at 3 am, and went clubbing in manhattan with her. Brooklyn's nice if you're rich or living off loans and your parents' money and you're white and hopelessly bougie.

Philly's better.

pretty much anywhere's nice if you're rich, though

HollywoodDialysis
Jan 19, 2005

not doing nothing
Grimey Drawer

psyopmonkey posted:

I go to school full time and do consultation work on the side. Today is one of my days off.

Im also a night owl. Thats when I do stuff.

Hoot hoot

Woop Woop!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.
Brooklyn is pretty freaking awesome.

snuggle baby luvs hugs
Aug 30, 2005

Moridin920 posted:

gently caress Brooklyn. gently caress gentrification.

gently caress you petty bourgeoisie hipster douches.

:rolleyes:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Wounded Unicorn posted:

how's living with four other people, in an effective urban wasteland food desert, where everything costs not just twice, but four to five times what it should?

this

except good pizza and probably an organic grocery store for gaywads somewhere

naem
May 29, 2011

I lived in Brooklyn

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
Brooklyn love is so obviously hype its silly. Every white person there only lives in Brooklyn because Manhattan is too expensive. So, to give themselves the feeling of being bad rear end, cool, urban, and trendy they hype up the third-rate urban sprawl that is Brooklyn. Sure, get enough desperate youth together and some are bound to make a good time out of it, but between the permanent financial difficulty, rampant drug culture (heroin's been making a big comeback), and cacophony of "me tooing," the denizens of Brooklyn are like any other neighborhood trying to syphon off the glory of a larger, better neighbor. Its gentrification at its worst. Millions of kids shouting "Brooklyn!" as though it stands for anything other than the working-class, family neighborhoods of minority or immigrant cultures that once breathed life into what is now a revolving door of overpriced realty for up and coming white people. Its the antithesis of culture when 80% of your population turns over every 2 years.

RaySmuckles fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Apr 11, 2015

naem
May 29, 2011

I had a one bedroom 10 minutes from Manhattan for $1000 in 2008

Bowlcutbarricade
Dec 27, 2014

RaySmuckles posted:

Brooklyn love is so obviously hype its silly. Every white person there only lives in Brooklyn because Manhattan is too expensive. So, to give themselves the feeling of being bad rear end, cool, urban, and trendy they hype up the third-rate urban sprawl that is Brooklyn. Sure, get enough desperate youth together and some are bound to make a good time out of it, but between the permanent financial difficulty, rampant drug culture (heroin's been making a big comeback), and cacophony of "me tooing," the denizens of Brooklyn are like any other neighborhood trying to syphon off the glory of a larger, better neighbor. Its gentrification at its worst. Millions of kids shouting "Brooklyn!" as though it stands for anything other than the working-class, family neighborhoods of minority or immigrant cultures that once breathed life into what is now a revolving door of overpriced reality for up and coming white people. Its the antithesis of culture when 80% of your population turns over every 2 years.

This is an Excellent post.

IzzyFnStradlin
Jun 19, 2004

RaySmuckles posted:

Millions of kids shouting "Brooklyn!" as though it stands for anything other than the working-class, family neighborhoods of minority or immigrant cultures that once breathed life into what is now a revolving door of overpriced realty for up and coming white people.

Uh, I'm white and my family's been in Brooklyn since 1812. There are tons of non-immigrant, non-hipster white neighborhoods in brooklyn and have been for centuries. You need to chillax with the casual racism against white people, especially since they've been there longer than any of the blacks or other misc. minorities.

IzzyFnStradlin fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Apr 11, 2015

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
trying to think of a place that's worse than Brooklyn and all I can come up with is Albany Cleveland and Detroit

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

As a resident of Ohio, I'm actually more relevant that every resident of Brooklyn every four years :smug:

:negative: Oh god please get rid of the Electoral College

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

IzzyFnStradlin posted:

Uh, I'm white and my family's been in Brooklyn since 1812. There are tons of non-immigrant, non-hipster white neighborhoods in brooklyn and have been for centuries. You need to chillax with the casual racism against white people, especially since they've been there longer than any of the blacks or other misc. minorities.

Where did they come from in 1812? Is the neighborhood they live in a traditionally __________ neighborhood? (Irish, Italian, Jewish, Immigrant, etc.) Are they working class? Brooklyn (without Manhattan) is the 4th largest city in the US. I'm pretty sure we can all find examples to disprove my post on the something awful.com forums. Also pretty sure that this thread is discussing a particular aspect of Brooklyn, its cultural significance, to which the millions of youth that rotate in and out of Brooklyn and laud it loudest seem a more topical subject for scrutiny.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

RaySmuckles posted:

Where did they come from in 1812? Is the neighborhood they live in a traditionally __________ neighborhood? (Irish, Italian, Jewish, Immigrant, etc.) Are they working class? Brooklyn (without Manhattan) is the 4th largest city in the US. I'm pretty sure we can all find examples to disprove my post on the something awful.com forums. Also pretty sure that this thread is discussing a particular aspect of Brooklyn, its cultural significance, to which the millions of youth that rotate in and out of Brooklyn and laud it loudest seem a more topical subject for scrutiny.

what

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I live in Brooklyn and it's cool but then I'm not a poor "creative" or someone from Cowfuck, Indiana who has mad sour grapes over places that have more to do than smoke meth in the Walmart parking lot

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Slaughterhouse-Ive posted:

I live in Brooklyn and it's cool but then I'm not a poor "creative" or someone from Cowfuck, Indiana who has mad sour grapes over places that have more to do than smoke meth in the Walmart parking lot

Modern Brooklyn everyone!

Seriously every kid I grew up with who lives in Brooklyn now is white, was already rich, and bougie as gently caress.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

gggiiimmmppp posted:

lol if you dont live in space

:350:

man I just figured this out recently but you're not even allowed to blaze in space so gently caress space

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

ArtIsResistance posted:

man I just figured this out recently but you're not even allowed to blaze in space so gently caress space

Nonsense, who told you that?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I live in Oakland. Brooklyn is like babby's first gritty neighborhood.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

mind the walrus posted:

Modern Brooklyn everyone!

Seriously every kid I grew up with who lives in Brooklyn now is white, was already rich, and bougie as gently caress.

I wonder what percent of NYC is transplants.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.

etalian posted:

60% at least. A good question.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

etalian posted:

Not nearly as much as DC.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Posting is the suburbs thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Queens is the new Brooklyn. Astoria represent.

• Locked thread