Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.
Hello there! Some of you might remember me, some of you might not, some of you don't really give a gently caress. But I return, with less content, less time, and a lot more on my real life plate than ever before!

Basic info:
I'm getting married within the year to my awesome 10 year, classic car owner girlfriend.
I'm knee deep in trying to buy a house, an old one, that is capible of storing all of our "children"
My career is backbreaking, but CREAM.
Life is ok

Lets begin:

You remember my Cadillac? well it looks a bit different now:

My job takes me to the a different city every year for a month, 2 years ago, it was New York, this year it was Phoenix (largest sporting event in the US) - this year I decided to sweeten the pot of my return home by having my 58 Sedan DeVille bagged by a friend. It turned out to be a bit more of a process than anticipated, and I'll spare you the details until a later post about the system itself, but I will say this much - I'm extremely happy with the results - the car rides better than it ever did before, I no longer have to worry about dragging the rear end end coming out of a driveway, speedbumps no longer haunt my dreams and it looks bad rear end to boot:

I'm so happy with the result, somewhere down the line I plan on bagging my entire fleet, but I will be doing the installs myself. I decided not to cut out anything important to putting the car back to stock springs, so in turn, it doesn't lay frame, but it gets more than low enough to make me happy. More importantly, I researched the poo poo out of components and made what I feel was the best (well tested, more expensive) choice in components.

The 48 Roadmaster

you probably remember the roadmaster looking somewhat like this:

not much has changed but she did get some new shoes:

and met a friend:

The trailer is not mine, but it belongs to a guy that lives near me, I met the guy driving home one day and got to bullshitting - he wants to take his new camper to shows, but he doesn't want to pull it with his modern pickup. we've been talking about taking the car and the trailer to shows together - the camper is a 1947 Curtis Wright.

The car has been driving great, over the last few years she's required very little maintenance except for a new mechanical fuel pump - In January the brakes started going a bit soft so I switched back to the old caddy. sorry for the lovely IG pics in advance:

here it was the night I realized I needed a new fuel pump

I was asked to join a new car club here in LA - lately we've been doing some big things. We had a show in the LA river and it literally got overwhelmed with people, there were at one point 120 cars down there, including 2 vintage police cars that had heard about it and wanted to join in the fun. It was a day I will remember forever. We might do it again, but it will be under the radar until the day (or night) of.

The awesome part about joining a new club is that we often get beautiful photos like this:

and:

and:

More to come, if you guys want them.

Now on to some more serious stuff:

I can't recall if I had shared this or not, but here goes:

This is me circa 1991-92.

As you can see I'm decked out in the latest hot pink shoelaces and oversized Athletics teeshirt (I live in LA) but the boat behind me is my late fathers 54 Buick.

It's been in storage since he passed away 16 years ago, until recently I hadn't seen it for awhile maybe 2-3 years. I made the decision to pull it out and finish the restoration that my mom and I started back when he passed away. The car has always been a sore subject for me in that my father and I didn't have such a great relationship, and it was the only thing I really enjoyed doing with him. Anyway, here's the car now:

you can see my 48 buick and the 58 buick that I used to own in the background.

One of the things my dad told me before he passed was that the car didn't mean poo poo to him and he wanted me to sell it and buy myself something really nice. In my young brain I thought I would never sell the car, but now that I've grown older, I realized I created my own memories that stemmed from him owning that car. So I'm getting ready to sell it.

Then there's the new kid on the block:

I bought this about 2 years ago, got it running perfectly, brakes dialed in, set it down, put it in drive - dead trans. With a good part of my car budget blown on the cadillac project, It's not really in the cards to start spending on this one right now. its a super rare car with only ~1500 of them ever made. I purchased this car for almost nothing, it's my ace in the hole.

oh yeah, this happened too:

more. later.

LobsterboyX fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Apr 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Holy poo poo I need new pants.

At the risk of breaking the illusion, what does the Cadillac look like at maximum height? Can you 4x4 over curbs?

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I'll have to grab a photo of that , it looks pretty.. weird. The back goes up way higher than the front, so I'll max out the front and try to level the back - I'm 6'3 and with the rear end up the fin would poke me in the chest if I walked in to it.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Holy poo poo I need new pants.

:staredog::hf::catstare:

I've really missed reading about your cars, LobsterboyX, it's good to see you posting again. The Caddy looks incredible with the bags, perfect in every way.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer
Welcome back! We should hang out soon, maybe even when my Bricklin is running. Not that it would exactly fit in with any of your cars.

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004
Cheers and glad to hear things have been well for ya!

If you have any photos of the airbag setup on the caddy, that would be awesome to see.
That Buick wagon though...!

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Goddamn that '48 Buick is a thing of beauty. The lines on it are utterly amazing.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
Thanks guys - Now to start taking more pictures!

BoostCreep posted:

Welcome back! We should hang out soon, maybe even when my Bricklin is running. Not that it would exactly fit in with any of your cars.

Agree - IIRC you're in mid city? you should come by our Wed meets, very oddball cars show up.

here's a bit more eye candy while you're waiting

Monark Holiday with "Station wagon styling" woodgrain, turn signals and brake light!

latest selfie.

a recent club outing to Paramount Ranch in sunny Malibu.. used to be a racetrack..

buick on the banked turn.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

I Love Lobsterboy threads! You always show me older stuff that is outside of what I by default am drawn to, and you're incredibly thoughtful about what you have/do.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LobsterboyX posted:

Agree - IIRC you're in mid city? you should come by our Wed meets, very oddball cars show up.

Glendale. Not too far from the valley.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
I missed your stuff, man. I've seen a couple of your posts elsewhere, but didn't want to draw any attention. I figured you'd come back in time. I'm glad I was right.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Oh man this is epic. Welcome back!

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

Wrar posted:

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

I Love Lobsterboy threads! You always show me older stuff that is outside of what I by default am drawn to, and you're incredibly thoughtful about what you have/do.

That's quite a compliment. It really took me awhile to figure out that not everyone is in to this kind of stuff. Especially after I graduated college - my antics were not always appreciated. I really enjoy sharing this vast amount of useless knowledge of everything old. Cars are actually a very small part of what I really love. One of our favorite things to do is explore and discover the history of LA. We go to lectures, slide shows, vintage movies that all focus on the history of LA and drive around searching out the places that built LA.

I'm a long time member of the LA conservancy, and I've even submitted a few proposals to preserve endangered historic buildings. One of my long term dreams is to get a masters in Historic Preservation, however with life marching on, that might be something I obtain later in life.

So just tonight we found ourselves underneath the 6th street bridge for a weekly lowrider show - She took all the photos tonight and currently she is sawing logs, so when I get them I'll post them up - but more importantly than a bunch of cool low-lows was the beautiful 1932 bridge itself:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sixth_Street_Viaduct

Now the sad (but true) part is what's about to happen to it:

http://6stbrp.nationbuilder.com/

Onward to our drive home:

we decided to take a quick detour to Carroll ave - the place in LA with the highest concentration of victorian homes

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carroll_Avenue

It's a part of LA that no one really talks about, but is probably one of the most special places in the city.

-

we also collect vintage "paper" which consists of postcards, photos, magazine ads, fruit crate labels ect.

one of the first postcards we ever bought was this one:

a few years ago we were driving around and found the exact location :

https://www.google.com/maps/place/C...7ec64ac88b91046

whaddya know! the guard rail is still in place and the trees have grown a lot.

Oh!

ooOOooo

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Man your whole life just owns. All that stuff is neat as gently caress but I guess I just don't know what to look for, or something.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LobsterboyX posted:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/C...7ec64ac88b91046

whaddya know! the guard rail is still in place and the trees have grown a lot.

Oh!

That's awesome. I love finding places like that in LA. I recently found a film location for my favorite episode of The Three Stooges from the 30's and the staircase is still exactly the same, except for being more weathered and uneven than when it was brand new. Proper star struck moment for me.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Glad you decided to make a thread. I've always loved the old cars like this and at some point would like to see how they are to live with. Guy at work has a couple that he daily drives during the summer, think a 48 buick and 53 ford if I'm remembering right.

Noticed you mention having the radio in the Buick rebuilt and an aux in. Did you do this yourself or is there somewhere you sent it to be done?

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Apr 11, 2015

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

I dug around and found your original thread, as long as you keep the hosting for the pics up, it'll stick around with all its info.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3362175&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Again, welcome back. I love reading about any cars, even when they're way out of line with my own interest. I mean, we can't all be Jay Leno and drive one of everything.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Yes, we've had a sever lack of classic stuff in AI for far too long.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
Son of a bitch, they're replacing the 6th Street Bridge? I've wanted to see it in person for years, I guess I need to head to LA soon.

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Developing Smarter Mechanics.
Since 1989.
Haha. Welcome back sir. Glad to see you took my recommendation to resurrect this. LA is pretty neat. I love all of the historic buildings there and the architecture.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

God that Caddy is cool. Low and slow.

Panaflex
Sep 28, 2001

Thanks for coming back LB! I was wondering just last week what might have become of you.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
I need more pictures of that wagon. What is it?

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Welcome back! Looking forward to reading about some lobsterboy adventures.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Raluek posted:

Man your whole life just owns. All that stuff is neat as gently caress but I guess I just don't know what to look for, or something.

I imagine he has searching craigslist down to a science by now :v:

Welcome back Lobsterboy!

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

leica posted:

I mainly meant all the things that aren't cars.

Speaking of which, is there a good resource for identifying old-ish bicycles? I have what I believe is a French road bike from '61 that doesn't have any usable markings on it, and would like to know more about it. It's not valuable, just interesting.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

NitroSpazzz posted:

Glad you decided to make a thread. I've always loved the old cars like this and at some point would like to see how they are to live with. Guy at work has a couple that he daily drives during the summer, think a 48 buick and 53 ford if I'm remembering right.

Noticed you mention having the radio in the Buick rebuilt and an aux in. Did you do this yourself or is there somewhere you sent it to be done?

A friend of mine was the president of rock-ola jukeboxes, he runs a business on the side that restores vintage electronics, jukes, radios, tv's - I've known him for some time and he is a perfectionist. he has done most of my work for me. I did one myself many years ago, a small tabletop zenith radio from 1952. it was fun, but it was a lot of trial and error - I wouldn't say its easy, but unless you have access to components, it can be quite time consuming waiting for stuff to arrive, only to test the next bit and it too is bad.

I have had a few large "console" radios restored. at one time I had 3, I gave them as gifts to my best friend and my mom one year for christmas - they both had aux cables. this is mine:

its a late 30s Firestone (yes the tire company) "Air King" - I bought a cheap bluetooth speaker with a headphone jack and just plugged it in to the aux cord and now I have a bluetooth enabled console. we both love listening to old radio shows on it - there's a great app on iphone called Vintage Radio that has a great db of old shows to listen to. There are also some great podcasts and XM has a great station called Radio Classics.

Das Volk posted:

Son of a bitch, they're replacing the 6th Street Bridge? I've wanted to see it in person for years, I guess I need to head to LA soon.

I'll let you know, but my club is planning to have a show down there again in the summer time when its dry again, ironic, right?

Fart Pipe posted:

Welcome back! Looking forward to reading about some lobsterboy adventures.

I just got offered an incredibly cool car last night for a price that's almost too hard to refuse. I have to let that cook for a bit, but it would be foolish to let this slip away.

leica posted:

Welcome back Lobsterboy!

cars by owner > 1929, 1930, 1931, 1932..........1960 - rinse and repeat.
bicycles > elgin, higgins, western, shelby, colson, prewar, pre war, skip, skiptooth, wooden
antiques > philco, predicta, zenith, streamline, deco...

yeah, i could go on for days.

Raluek posted:

I mainly meant all the things that aren't cars.

Speaking of which, is there a good resource for identifying old-ish bicycles? I have what I believe is a French road bike from '61 that doesn't have any usable markings on it, and would like to know more about it. It's not valuable, just interesting.

http://thecabe.com/ - sign up for the forums and lurk. it gets very childish at times - grown men take bicycles extremely seriously.

th vwls hv scpd posted:

Haha. Welcome back sir. Glad to see you took my recommendation to resurrect this. LA is pretty neat. I love all of the historic buildings there and the architecture.

then you will love this:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=170279

1000+ page thread of photos of vintage los angeles. I've literally spent days on this. one time I collected a bunch of pictures, printed them out then we drove around to find them.

Left Ventricle posted:

I need more pictures of that wagon. What is it?

1954 Century Estate wagon - bought it in early '13 - I spent some time on it and got it running like a top, got the brakes tip top - set it on the ground, put it in drive.. nothing. trans needs a rebuild, but because I have so little time, it sits. I have a new set of tires waiting for it. I have to sell some bikes to get the fire under me to get it on the road. I bought it initially for the Mrs to promote her business. It's really just about finding the time.

A friend of mine was at a rear-end shop in orange county (quite far from where we live) and saw a simple hand written ad that said "54 buick wagon for sale, call Dan" - older guy, didn't know anything about cars, had it sitting in his garage for years... it cost me less than the 100 mile tow to get it home. There were only ~1500 wagons built in 1954 - making it the most rare (not valuable) car I've ever known

this was in the garage of the guy I bought it from.

terrible photo, but the interior is almost perfect. the windlace is coming apart, but other than that, its really nice.

Really need to get some better photos of it.

As i mentioned briefly in this post, I've been given the chance to get another, very rare, very cool car.. for nothing basically.. I'm weighing options. Anyone want to buy a bike?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Didn't you have some old motorcycles too?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Belated welcome back Lobsterboy :)

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Didn't you have some old motorcycles too?

I did - I sold a majority of them last year and the photos are of course on my home computer.

I had:
1977 Honda CB750a - an automatic motorcycle. I bought it from a friend who had fallen on some hard times and needed it gone, in turn, I rode it a handfull of times and like most stuff let it sit. it was a great bike, just boring and a bit too new for me.
1966 BSA Lightning 650 - bought it one day for 500, sold it the next for 3500
1950 BSA B33 - 500 thumper. had a weird expiremental alloy head. I had it running and rode it around the block. it was an original 50s bobber - it was painted metal flake green and had a bunch of really cool custom parts from the 50s.

The Honda and the B33 I sold as a lot to.. someone who used to post here, not sure if he wants to be mentioned.

I still do have my 1960 Vespa VBA:

I really don't like riding in LA because, as they say, I trust myself, i just don't trust anyone else. sometimes I'll fire it up for a ride around the hood, to the coffee shop or to a cruise night. It's great fun - it has a modern LML (indian) engine in it with the upgraded 4 speed trans. IMHO it's too fast for what it is, cooking at 50 on 8" wheels is a bit hectic. I also put a replica Abarth pipe on it. It was restored in the 90s and is starting to show its age, thinking about offing it soon too. it will be just another thing to carry over in the move.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Every time you post I start looking at classics again. drat you.

Also, do you have any info for the guy who restores radios? I have two I'd like to get restored at some point.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

iwentdoodie posted:

Every time you post I start looking at classics again. drat you.

Also, do you have any info for the guy who restores radios? I have two I'd like to get restored at some point.

His name is Ross - you'll probably talk to his wife if you call

http://rjb.sharepoint.com/Pages/default.aspx

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Now you're making me want to bag my truck. drat you!

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

Now you're making me want to bag my truck. drat you!

So easy! I bet you there's more tutorials on bagging your exact car than you could count. 58 cadillac sedan deville? not so much.

I got most of my kit here:

http://www.theslamstore.com/category_s/51.htm

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Oh yeah, there's no shortage of kits built for the '67-'72 C10, but the vast majority of them assume you're bagging a trailing-arm truck, not a leaf-spring truck like mine. Which means then I have to look at doing a four-link or something nearly as aggressive.

The ride would be so much better though.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

IOwnCalculus posted:

Oh yeah, there's no shortage of kits built for the '67-'72 C10, but the vast majority of them assume you're bagging a trailing-arm truck, not a leaf-spring truck like mine. Which means then I have to look at doing a four-link or something nearly as aggressive.

On the bright side, if you go four link and notch it you can fit massive rubber out back.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

I assumed as well :niggly:

My buddy just did a "bolt in" notch for his 70.. You could go the cheap route and go yank a trailing arm setup from something else and go to town. IIRC some company sells a "NASCAR" arm kit that basically is an exact copy of the truck arms..

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

LobsterboyX posted:

I assumed as well :niggly:

My buddy just did a "bolt in" notch for his 70.. You could go the cheap route and go yank a trailing arm setup from something else and go to town. IIRC some company sells a "NASCAR" arm kit that basically is an exact copy of the truck arms..

I think these are the dudes you're talking about. http://www.hotrodstohell.net/truckarm/truckarm_index.htm Tempting, but a bit spendy for me. Less than $1000 for IOC's truck.

Laura-4-Lyfe
Oct 14, 2005

I've been thinking about bagging my Caddy since I bought it and you have pushed that decision forward. You have some amazing cars and I love the Vespa. I crashed one of those in Cango Park when I was 15. I popped the clutch and dumped it. That one had a windshield which I destroyed. I felt horrible because my friend's dad just rebuilt it for him. He then bought a sidecar and I rode in that instead.

PS. Pink Caddies are the best Caddies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
Hello friend! I think you should move forward with bagging that car. 59 - 63 have a different frame that allows them to go very, very low without cutting anything.. I'm gearining up to make a post about the system. I have 2 friends with bagged 62's and it's really not as big of an outlay as most think.

• Locked thread