Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Hillfolk

A game created by Robin D Laws

Game Master: aldantefax

"Sign of the Ram"

DRAMATIS PERSONAE
Also including names of the players
  • Corypheus, Clan Chief, as played by Winson_Paine
  • Koiranos, Raiding Leader, as played by Comrade Gorbash
  • Redbeard, Priest, as played by Epicurius
  • Hammer, Blacksmith, as played by Ceciltron
  • Iole, Farmer, as played by Discipleoftheclaw
  • Serus, Scout, as played by DocBubonic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Episode 1 Precedence Order:
  • aldantefax
  • Comrade Gorbash
  • Winson_Paine
  • DocBubonic
  • Epicurius
  • Discipleoftheclaw
  • Ceciltron

Master List of Scenes
Episode 1

Executing PBP dramatic scenes
  1. Scene caller posts the episode title, scene number, location, characters involved, time and basic situation of the scene. The caller may mention their character’s intent in the scene.
  2. Objections, if any, from GM and other players. Characters may also now attempt to duck the scene if they don't want to be in it (requires Drama tokens), or crash it if they aren't in it but want to be (also requires Drama tokens).
  3. The caller summarizes their character’s actions and/or speech. For a conversation scene, outline the character’s general approach and demeanour, with one or two key sentences of directly quoted dialogue.
  4. Other players with characters in the scene respond. The GM may also add to the scene where appropriate.
  5. Repeat steps 3 & 4 until sufficient resolution can be called.
  6. Check if the caller feels they got the concession they wanted. Vote on the outcome if necessary.
  7. Option to force a concession and/or to counter that force (both require expenditure of Drama Tokens). Narrate this as appropriate to explain how this force or further refusal is expressed in-character.
  8. Resolution, Drama Points exchanged.

Earning Drama Tokens
Earn Drama Tokens by...
  • Granting a petition
  • Having your petition refused
  • Buying one with a Bennie

quote:

Every dramatic scene ends with an exchange of one or more drama tokens.

If the petition is willingly granted, the granter earns a drama token—from the petitioner if he has one, or from the kitty if not.

If the granter refuses, the petitioner gains the token—from the granter if she has one, or from the kitty if not.

Using Drama Tokens
Spend Drama Tokens if you want to...
  • Duck a scene
  • Crash a scene (that the caller doesn't want you in)
  • Block someone from crashing a scene you called
  • Force a concession (2 tokens)
  • Cancel a Force (3 tokens)
  • Contribute towards a Force or Canceling a Force, if your character is present and helping
  • Call a scene where your character is not present

How to Earn Bennies

Role-play your character's Dramatic Poles in relation to the session's Theme.

Uses for a Bennie

You can spend only one bennie per scene to...
  • Crash a scene (that caller doesn't want you in)
  • Block someone from crashing a scene you called
  • Buy a token (drama or procedural)
  • Draw an additional card in a procedural scene
  • Call the next scene (give up your next turn in the normal order)
  • Burn 1 token held by another player (drama or procedural)
Was the Petition Granted? (Petitioner decides)
  • If Yes, it stands.
  • If No, other players (including GM) may vote to overrule. Scene caller gets an extra tie-breaking vote if necessary.
Challenges
  • I want something other than the scene caller describes.
  • The caller can describe/modify to convince you.
  • If you're not convinced players vote, GM abstains to break ties.
Anyone May Narrate...
  • The presence/behavior of walk-on characters.
  • The consequences of their character's actions.
  • The surrounding details of the scene.
Other Resources

aldantefax fucked around with this message at 05:55 on May 22, 2015

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Episode 1 - Breath of Spring

Cast: Corypheus, and Iole.

It has been only a week since the unexpected death of the previous Chieftain.

With their dying breath, they named Corypheus the new leader of the Goat Clan. The dead watch closely, and the last Chieftain was well liked. Tradition followed suit, as is the right.

It is mid-morning - the rites of the first blossom of Spring have been completed before breakfast has been even served, yet the people are uneasy. The Chieftain's hall is empty save for Corypheus, and Iole. Laid out on the table is a simple map of the local region, with symbols scribbled onto it with charcoal. What do the symbols represent?

Surehand, the leader of the herders, has sent Iole to deliver the latest news to the new Chieftain and to determine the next course of action. They've lost another batch of livestock to disease - their bodies are already burning far and away from the remainder. There is only the preserved meat from the last Winter to serve to the clan to celebrate Corypheus' new responsibility properly, and grain can only take them so far. The Firetenders shall see that Corypheus has as much of a welcome as they can afford.

Hunger will set in by Summertide, if naught is done about the situation.

OOC: Welcome to the game. We open with these two characters in a dramatic scene. Iole is designated as the petitioner, and Corypheus is the granter.

aldantefax fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Apr 11, 2015

DiscipleoftheClaw
Mar 13, 2005

Plus I gotta keep enough lettuce to support your shoe fetish.
Iole

"Look at the map - you can see all the homesteads that the raiders burned this winter. They will give us nothing until after next winter, if then. We do not have the seed to plant again, or the plows and tools to tend to them." Iole is angry, but keeps her tempter in check, knowing with whom she speaks. Besides, the mistakes were made before he even became Chief. "The flocks are weak and rife with disease after a long winter, and Surehand says that he thinks more will die before we see Summertide. If things go on like this, we will be starved half-to-death by harvest-time, and the raiders will be back to finish what they have begun."

"If we are going to survive, we need to bring more healthy beasts into our pastures. Either we must trade with the other peoples, or you and yours must take them with your swords. The old Chief took weapons and jewelry, trinkets and idols when he went raiding - those will not feed our people when they are hungry, or let our farmers rebuild what was lost. We need a new way."

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.
Corypheus

This had been a long time in coming. He had known things were bad, before, for all the drinking and the trophies and the bluster. Now it comes down to him, and starving people. Cory looks at the map, scowling. "What of trade? Who remains to trade with whose towns were not burned by my father? Most of those raids were vendetta, blood for blood. That is what we are left with." He turns and spits. There is a long moment of silence.

"Right. Cull the flocks. Take what diseased or ill flesh might still be saved and preserve it. Boil the bones, take all that may be taken. Have you spoken with Hammer? What tools may be made from what remains? Who will still deal with us around a trade table?"

DiscipleoftheClaw
Mar 13, 2005

Iole

"You could ask the wanderer - Serus - about who is left to deal with. I do not know. Surehand is already burning the sick and the dead. I will speak to Hammer about fresh tools. I hope that he can help us." Iole looks at the grim map again, and back at her chief. "We - the people who work the land - are scared. Stores run low, and there is no salvation in sight - like you said, things in the time of the old Chief were blood for blood, again and again. We cannot continue like that, even if the raiders were to bring back more jewels than we could wear. We must have peace, or we must destroy our enemies."

Iole wants a promise of protection

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Cory

"There is always something in sight. While we still live, we strive.," but this is is so much quack in the snow, an automatic thing. Slowly he drawls, "Serus? That one is, ugh. The sort of..." he drops off. "No time for that. What would suffice for the moment? To allay the fears of the landfolk? I will do what I can, if it can be done."

DiscipleoftheClaw
Mar 13, 2005

Iole

"Stores. We must have food - salted meat, flour, anything. Redbeard and the Firetenders must have their feast - for you - and that will eat even deeper into what is left from last harvest. Working the fields and the pastures is hard enough, with weather and heat and raiders to worry over. If we have our strength sapped by hunger, everyone's mood will darken. A show of increasing our stores, instead of depleting them, would go a long way for us."

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Cory

"And what will the landfolk eat, while the Firetenders feast and grow fat?"

DiscipleoftheClaw
Mar 13, 2005

Iole

"Roots and spoiled meat." Iole doesn't want to give the wrong impression. "The Firetenders must do what our traditions demand - but our traditions can be costly."

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Cole

"Then tradition can wait. The tribe eats as one, for good or ill. If they wish more then let them pull it from the earth themselves, but there will be no feasting until this storm has passed."

GRANTED

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Episode 1 - Breath of Spring
Scene 2

Cast: Corypheus, Koiranos, and Serus.

Location: Outside the Chieftan's hall, on the stony hill that serves as the Clan's main redoubt and ritual center

As Corypheus exits the hall, he's approached by Koiranos, carrying his spear and shield, with Serus in tow. Word has come from one of the scouts that one of the neighboring Ox Clan, an old enemy of the Clan, is setting off on a raid of a third tribe. Koiranos wants to take the opportunity to raid the Ox while their warriors away. This will mean he and the fighters will be away during the feast. Koiranos dragged Serus along to explain the scout's findings, and in hopes that he'll support Koiranos' position.

I think this is how to do it.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Koiranos waits until Iole departs ahead of the new Chief, then comes up from the other direction to meet his half-brother. The scout Serus is with him. The leader of the warriors has his shield across his back and his helmet tucked under one arm, the other holding his spear. His intense gaze is only sharpened by his grin.

"Corypheus!" He stops, and gives a respectful bow of his head. "One of Serus' scouts brought word just now. Clan Ox's warriors have taken up their weapons and raid across the river, against one of those tribes under the thumb of the so-named King. They thought to sneak away without our notice." The young man always speaks this way, like he's giving a speech to shore up morale before a battle.

"We have a chance to strike them while their eyes are elsewhere. It would show our rivals our new chief is not to be trifled with, no more than the old." He leaves unmentioned the plunder sure to be won if his plan succeeds. He pauses, and adds as if it had just occurred to him, "We would be away during the ceremony, but it would as surely be as much a feast in your honor as Redbeard's, though one with glory in place of mutton." Koiranos is obviously pleased by that little joke. "Serus can confirm it."

"Just give me the word, Corypheus, and I will summon the warriors and be upon the Ox by the time the Firetenders finish their chants."

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Cory

Cory can feel his pulse rise as the man approaches. Somehow, he knew what the fellow would want. It was what they always wanted. "The fates may have other plans for our warriors," he replies matter of factly. "I will speak plainly. Our herds are diseased, our people need food. Raiding for glory and spoil and blood will gut us as sure as any enemy blade. We need to be more than we were, and your warriors must be part of that."

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis
Serus

He stood nearby Koiranos, but not next to him. He knew if he stood next to either man as an equal it would be poorly received.

"We would raid for food. They have food and livestock. We could go there and take it from them. Also raiding them now will weaken their tribe. If we don't strike, then they might grow bolder after the raid their warriors are doing. Perhaps they will decide that a tribe with a new chief would make an easy target. Hmm? Why wait for the conflict to arrive here. We can take the fight to them and stop them from attempting to raid us."

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Cory

"Do you even listen to the words that come out of your mouth," the young chief says as he turns on the man. "Or have you Redbeard's gift for reading the future in the fires?"

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Koiranos gives Serus a sharp look. "He is not entirely wrong, Corypheus. But it is not fear that should drive us. We could fight off the Ox if they came for us. I have no doubt that you would lead us to victory if they dared."

"But Serus is right. We can take cattle, grain, enough to give us time to recover. To plan. If that is what the clan needs, then my warriors and I will seize it. Just give me the word."

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Cory

"We need food, we need grain, and we need allies. We may need land as well." He pauses a moment, thinking, then looking to both men. "Tell me of this king, and his tribes."

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Serus

The chief's reaction bothers him, but he says nothing in return.

"King Talmai has ruled for many years, conquered tribes and controls much land. Some, like the Ox clan, think that the King is weak. They think they can strike without reprisal. I do not agree with them. King Talmai remains strong and has many warriors under his control. The Kingdom does little trading with the tribes that border it. I think the King prefers to conquer tribes rather then to trade with them."

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Koiranos

Koiranos watches Corypheus carefully. "This way of Kings that Talmai has brought... The Ox do not understand it. They think that the Kingdom is just another tribe, that even if Talmai strikes back it will just be another raid. But Talmai does not raid. He conquers. He breaks his foes. Those who will not kneel, he puts into the mud. Those who will kneel, he lifts up out of it. So all that live under his rule owe everything to him. He makes it so any insult to him, is an insult to every one of his warriors."

"Talmai cannot be treated with. He is jealous of his power. I think he fears that if his followers had a choice, his kingdom will fall apart."

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Cory

"That sounds like a man who has seen the future." He thinks. "Look at us. Going on a petty raid for spoils and plunder while our people starve. Had we this kingdom, had we many tribes acting as one, those with plenty could be tasked to aid those in drought or sickness." He grunts. "If it is as you say, then we can raid for food and stocks. Your warriors have little enough knowledge of what to do with a cow besides eat it over a fire, so you will bring a contingent of the lowfolk along; speak with Iole. You will need herdsmen."

He considers a moment further. "This is good, I think. They should see the value in your swords beyond mere tales around a fire. Your men should witness the skill of the shepherd to tame a flock. Now we are like a young fawn that has not yet learned to stand, to run. Many legs connected as well as anything, yet they know not of what the others are doing. Moving of their own accord, making the creature helpless."

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Koiranos

Koiranos hefts his shield. "So long as these farmers know to follow my warriors' lead except where it comes to herds and grain." He's clearly not particularly happy about that part of the plan, but Corypheus has a point.

"I will see this done, Chieftan. Our clan shall have food." He salutes with his spear, already clearly considering what needs to be done to make this work.

That works for me.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Cory

"Good, then Koiranos, you come with me."

SCENE ENDS, GRANTED

Scene 3 - Moments after Scene 2

Cast
: Corypheus, Koiranos, and Redbeard.

Location: Inside the Longhouse, the temple crafted of stone piled on stone, open to the sky where the fire always burns.

The pair head across to the Longhouse, the ancient stone walls piled in a circle. The smell of the smoke pleases him, it always did. This place felt right. Strange, that. Stepping through the arch, they find Redbeard within. The priest is the lone firetender at the moment, doing whatever it is his kind do with their time. The fires are low, smouldering as they do on all save for the nights of feasting and holiday. The sky above is blue, cloudless, perfect.

"Redbeard!" Cory says with little lead in. "We have things to discuss."

Winson_Paine fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Apr 23, 2015

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
In the Longhouse

It's hard to say when this place was made hallowed ground and built, but it has stood as the primary center of solidarity for the clan. Smoke-touched holes in the ceiling show small, tantalizing bits of the clear blue sky. While all of the fires for practical use are banked low, a pit in the center still has a raging flame wreathed in a blackened metal cage. The First Fire.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Redbeard

Redbeard is sitting, hunched over the fire, gazing into it, mesmerized as he stares at the flickering flame. His eyes stay staring at the flame, as he answers, "I greet you, my wife's sister's son, and you also, Raid Leader. Pray, what brings you to the flame? Do you seek the enlightenment that it provides?"

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Cory

Cory nods to the cage. "That fire doesn't throw much light, and it never goes beyond these walls," he replies evenly. "No, I bring news. The feast of you and your Firetenders is delayed, none will gorge themselves while the lowfolk starve. Koiranos will be raiding for spoils, when they return all will feast. This needs the benediction of the light."

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Redbeard

"Oh? Delayed?", Redbeard asks, incredulity seeping into his voice. "And you would order a raid, first? You know you are no true chief until you have undergone the night of the flame and passed through the fires. What think you, Raid Leader? Will the gods be pleased with this raid, do you think, if it is done before we consecrate the chief and gain their blessings for his endeavor?"

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Koiranos

"I think the gods would be less pleased if the chief ignored the suffering of his people. If he let a chance to strike at our foes pass unremarked." Koiranos stands up straight, but stays a step behind Corypheus, at his right shoulder. "The gods will favor the bold, as they always have."

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Redbeard

"You think that, do you?", Redbeard asks, and stands and turns to them. The others can see his arms, much scarred, with patches of new and discolored skin where burns have healed. "Perhaps, perhaps. Perhaps you know the will of the gods and what they favor? Would you like to hang up your spear and join me tending the godfire?", he says, scorn in his voice. "To be a Firetender takes no less bravery than to be one of your raiders, you know."

He turns to Cory. "After the ceremonies, go raiding, with the gods' blessings. But the chief must make no great decisions or command any raids until he first takes up his mantle and his chiefdom is blessed by the gods and ancestors. This is the law. It has always been the law, since the creation."

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Cory

He considers this. "No. I will not let the people starve while your old men gorge themselves on meat they had no hand in taking." He considers. "You may come on the raid, if you wish. The lowfolk are already sending a contingent. The gods have passed judgement enough in poisoning our cattle and blighing the land. Perhaps they feel that we must tend to our own fires, no? I would like your blessing," and he pauses, looking the old man directly in the eye. "I mean rather, it would be helpful to have the blessing of the gods, but iron that can not bend will shatter when tested. Perhaps a raid would please them, yes?"

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Redbeard

"Old men gorging themselves on meat they had not earned? Is that what it seems to you?" He turns away. "I am sorry that I failed you, son of my wife's sister. Do what you like. Go on your raid, if it pleases you. Perhaps the gods will be merciful and forgive us your defiance." With that, he turns back to his fire.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Cory

Cory nods. There is a small smile on his face. "Good. I had been worried you would claim to know the mind of the gods. We shall see if fire rules the man, or man rules the fire." He looks to the iron. "I suspect you know the answer already, since your fire is kept in a cage."

I think that is SCENE

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Scene 4 - After Scene 3

Cast:Serus and Redbeard.

Location: Inside the Longhouse, the temple crafted of stone piled on stone, open to the sky where the fire always burns.

The leader of the scouts found himself troubled after the discussion between the Chief, Koiranos and himself. After that meeting he left to find some peace and quiet in the woods. He hoped being away from the villager would help him clear his head. It did not help him. He found himself troubled by the new Chief. The Chief talked of the people being hungry, but offered nothing that would feed them. The warriors could bring food to the tribe, but instead he'd rather have them stand around and guard diseased animals. Corypheus has no plans and those with plans are met with indecision. The Old chief would have done something by now. The people wouldn't starve under his leadership. There seemed to be no way to get rid of these thoughts, he thought to himself. As the frustrations assaulted him, he decided to go see his father to see what the old man had to say about these matters.

Serus walked back into the village and went to the Longhouse. When he came to the entrance of the Longhouse, he found it was only his father inside. That is good, he thought to himself. He had no interest in discussing this with others.

"Father, I wish to speak with you. Would you have time to speak?"

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Redbeard

Redbeard turns from the fire. "For you, my son, there is always time to speak. Come, sit with me and tell me your problems", he says, sitting on the floor and gesturing beside him.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Serus

Reluctantly, he walked up and sat down next to his father. This wasn't a talk he wanted to have, but he didn't want to talk to anyone else.

"I'm troubled. Koiranos wanted to go raiding to bring food back to our people. This is something I agree should be done. The people are hungry and no matter what the farmers or herders do now, they won't be able to feed our people. I have no faith in the Chief to lead. When Koiranos and I spoke to him about raiding to bring food back, he dismissed the idea. He finally agreed when we made it clear we were raiding for food and not for glory. The old chief wouldn't have waited for someone to come to him to suggest this, he would have brought the warriors and the scouts together to tell them of the idea instead. This new Chief seems willing to sit back and watch our people go hungry. Corypheus seems ill suited for leadership."

Serus crossed his arms and stared at the fire. No matter how bad a leader Corypheus is, he still leads, Serus thought to himself. Little could be done about it now. Better to move onto more immediate problems.

"I worry father. I worry about this raid we are about to conduct. This is not a raid for glory. Its about the tribe not being able to feed its own people. Is it a good idea to go on this raid? We have few options left to feed our people and I feel as though this is the best way to do it. What do you think? Is this raid a good idea?"

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Redbeard

Redbeard thinks. "Your cousin is young, my son, and new at being chief. Remember, no one is skilled at a thing when he takes it up. But he will get older, and he will learn, and I have no doubt that he will become as skillful a chief as my sister was. We must be patient with him, and help teach him what he needs to know. As for the raid, I don't know. We need food, badly. You're too young to remember the last Hungertime. It happened many, many years ago, when I was just on the cusp of manhood. Our crops failed, our animals sickened, and there was no food. People ate grass to fill their bellies, and died, their mouths stained green. Old men and women killed themselves. Parents would starve so that their children might be alive one more day, and children starved because their parents had no food to give them. Even worse things happened, that I won't speak of. If a raid would avoid that, it would be better to raid".

"My main concern, though, is that, until the ceremony to make him chief is completed, he is not chief in truth. I think...I think your cousin sees the ceremony as meaningless, just a way for the Firetenders to fill ourselves on the flesh of the sacrifices. But, while it is his selection as chief that gives him his power over the people, it is the ceremony that gives him his spiritual power. It is our way of telling the gods, the flame, and the ancestors that he is the chief. It gives him the blessings of the gods, and lets the chiefs of old come to him and give him their wisdom. I think, if we raid without conducting the ceremony first, we endanger ourselves. The gods and the flame won't protect us against the spirits of the tribe we're raiding, and won't bless our men in combat. Our raiders would be merely men, and have only their own strength to rely on. And a man's strength is a dubious thing. "

"But, please, tell me, what are your concerns about the raid? Why do you think it is a bad idea?"

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Serus

"This raid is about desperation. I feel as though we were forced into a corner and this was the only way out. I want their to be another option for getting food for our people." He thought about what his father said.

"What saved the tribe long ago? Did the gods intervene to save the tribe?"

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Redbeard

"There are always options, my son. Always. Some are better than others, some are worse. But there are always options, for men and women and for tribes. But it is up to us to find them. As for last time, the gods did save us. We repented of our sins, found the evil within us and cast it out, and the gods showed mercy and made the rains came. Perhaps, if we examine ourselves and the tribe, and discover if we have offended the gods and ancestors, we can please them, and we will have food again."

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Serus

"Are you saying that the people are to blame for their current misfortunes? Do the gods care more about sin than the sinner? Why did they not make their displeasure known in some other way? How are we to know what we should do now? Would they prefer we all die if we can't placate them? If the gods are cursing us with hunger now, then they won't be looking favorably on our raid. Unless that is what they want? Could it be the gods and our ancestors want to see us shed the blood of other tribes? If that is their wish. It is something Koiranos and I can deliver."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Redbeard

"The judgments of the gods are often hard to know, but the gods seek our worship, not our death. If they are punishing us, we must find out why and fix it, and then our hunger will end. If that is the case, then the raid will not do much good, and may even fail completely. If you are going on this raid, my son, be careful, and convince your cousin to participate in the rite of the chief before it begins. Otherwise, I fear for the tribe."

Reassurance denied. We're all going to die. Repent!

• Locked thread