Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DiscipleoftheClaw
Mar 13, 2005

Plus I gotta keep enough lettuce to support your shoe fetish.
Iole

"Look at the map - you can see all the homesteads that the raiders burned this winter. They will give us nothing until after next winter, if then. We do not have the seed to plant again, or the plows and tools to tend to them." Iole is angry, but keeps her tempter in check, knowing with whom she speaks. Besides, the mistakes were made before he even became Chief. "The flocks are weak and rife with disease after a long winter, and Surehand says that he thinks more will die before we see Summertide. If things go on like this, we will be starved half-to-death by harvest-time, and the raiders will be back to finish what they have begun."

"If we are going to survive, we need to bring more healthy beasts into our pastures. Either we must trade with the other peoples, or you and yours must take them with your swords. The old Chief took weapons and jewelry, trinkets and idols when he went raiding - those will not feed our people when they are hungry, or let our farmers rebuild what was lost. We need a new way."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiscipleoftheClaw
Mar 13, 2005

Iole

"You could ask the wanderer - Serus - about who is left to deal with. I do not know. Surehand is already burning the sick and the dead. I will speak to Hammer about fresh tools. I hope that he can help us." Iole looks at the grim map again, and back at her chief. "We - the people who work the land - are scared. Stores run low, and there is no salvation in sight - like you said, things in the time of the old Chief were blood for blood, again and again. We cannot continue like that, even if the raiders were to bring back more jewels than we could wear. We must have peace, or we must destroy our enemies."

Iole wants a promise of protection

DiscipleoftheClaw
Mar 13, 2005

Iole

"Stores. We must have food - salted meat, flour, anything. Redbeard and the Firetenders must have their feast - for you - and that will eat even deeper into what is left from last harvest. Working the fields and the pastures is hard enough, with weather and heat and raiders to worry over. If we have our strength sapped by hunger, everyone's mood will darken. A show of increasing our stores, instead of depleting them, would go a long way for us."

DiscipleoftheClaw
Mar 13, 2005

Iole

"Roots and spoiled meat." Iole doesn't want to give the wrong impression. "The Firetenders must do what our traditions demand - but our traditions can be costly."

DiscipleoftheClaw
Mar 13, 2005

Scene 6 - Dawn, the Next Day
Location Outside the Chieftan's Hall
Cast Iole, Surehand, Koiranos
Situation - There is disagreement about who among the landworkers will go on the raid

"I should go!" Dawn finds Iole wrapped up against the still-chill morning air, arguing with Surehand about who among the farmers and herders will trail behind the raiders to see to the loot and goods. "You still have work to do on the ruined fields, Surehand - and it was I who went to the Chief, and it is I will who lead our people behind the raiders. Besides, as seasoned and wise as you may be, there may come a time for quick action, or a quick retreat - it has been many winters since you were a young man, Surehand. It would be too dangerous for you to go, when the Clan needs you to see to what little planting we can still manage." She turns to the Raid-Leader, even though she mistruts and dislikes him - surely he must see that taking the old and broken-down among the lowfolk would only lead to problems. "Can't you make him see reason, Koiranos?"

DiscipleoftheClaw
Mar 13, 2005

Iole

"I know you can fight, Surehand - but we're not going to fight. We're going to guide, and care for what we bring back with us, so we don't die in our beds come winter." Her tone is at least a little softer than before - she liked and respected Surehand, and he was her elder. "I can push the Ox's goats and sheep back to our lands just as well as you can, Surehand, and I can keep pace with the raider's march better. There's no glory for us, here - maybe for Koiranos and his men, but not for us. Let me go, and tend to what can be done here. Koiranos is not lying, if your leg holds him back he will leave you on your own, for the mercies of the returning Ox - you must at least know that I can run faster than you, if it comes to it."

I will petition Surehand to see reason and give Iole the respect she desrves to go on this dumb, foolhardy raid.

DiscipleoftheClaw
Mar 13, 2005

Iole

"And what would your children and grandchildren do if you were taken, Surehand? My father's worries should not trouble you - if it were his choice, I would not be allowed to milk a goat for fear of being kicked. Our clan is troubled, Surehand, and it is not a time for selfish concerns."

DiscipleoftheClaw
Mar 13, 2005

Iole

"Pointless to work during the hottest time, anyway." Iole comments, staring up at the sun. "I've never been on a raid before, but I imagine we will need to be rested when we get there."

"The raiders will be upset if they catch up with us, though. So a quick meal, yes?"

DiscipleoftheClaw
Mar 13, 2005

Iole

"I don't plan on being anywhere near the fighting, Knife Hand." Iole gestures to the horizon. "And if what the scouts say is true, then we will have more to worry about on the way back than we do on the raid - we'll be burdened with cattle and stores, and if their warriors return in time, they will move quicker than us. That's when you should worry about me."

DiscipleoftheClaw
Mar 13, 2005

Iole

Iole regards Knife Hand somewhat more coolly than before.

"We are all responsible for ourselves, and our duty to the Clan, Knife Hand. And if your worry is Koiranos, then I have my eye on him as well - I do not trust him."

Rejectin this two-bit sucker, but maybe we could compromise on keeping our eyes on ole guts & glory back there.

DiscipleoftheClaw
Mar 13, 2005

Iole

"We'd be best serve to travel fast." Iole is talking to the unruly goat she is pushing into line as much as she is talking to Knife Hand - while the raid was mostly bloodless, about survival more than glory or honor, Iole holds no illusions about what happens next. The customs of the hills demanded that the Ox strike back, and twice as hard - and the perfect target would be a band of tired and retreating raiders, on unfamiliar ground, laden down with their spoils. On the bright side, at least they got what they came for. "If we can make it home whole, at least we will not have to worry about starving this winter. I did not think the Ox's larders would be so plentiful, this far from harvest."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiscipleoftheClaw
Mar 13, 2005

Iole

Eating a cake made from pilfered oats, Iole waits to see what Koiranos has to say - about the raid that went well, and the storm that may be coming.

• Locked thread