Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Firefinger 1!

Section 97 posted:

It worked, by Jove! (As the Romans used to say.) The darkness has gone, your torch - which was still lit, remember - now shows you a smallish, ten-metre-square, stone-lined chamber. Gnawing furiously at your ankle is a Leprechaun.

If you want to fight the Leprechaun, go to 90.
If you want to try to make friends now, go to 92.
If you want to make friends by promising to buy the Leprechaun a drink, go to 120.

I don't think there's anything I can add to that.

Pip’s Stat Block posted:

LIFE POINTS: 57/36
EXPERIENCE POINTS: 0
INVENTORY:
E.J. (hits on a 4, +5 damage), Dragonhide jerkin (-4 damage), Healing potion (heals two dice rolls) x18, Rope (fifteen metres), Climbing spikes x12, Torch x6, Lantern, Oil flask x4, Tinderbox, Bully-beef sandwiches, Apple x2, Parchment, quill, and ink, Dagger (+2 damage), Wound salve (heals 3 LIFE POINTS) x5, Garlic, Mirror, Hammer, nails and a saw, Lodestone and twine
MAGIC:
Lightning Bolt :siren: x8 :siren: (10 damage, automatic hit), Fireball x2 (75 damage, hits on a 6 or higher), Magic Duck (Dispels magic, probably? 'Magic Duck, Come to my aid: I'm not afraid!', and turn to 119), Luckstone (plus or minus 3 on any dice roll)
MONEY AND VALUABLES:
Gold Piece x26

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
You know what's better than making friends?

Buying friends.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
That is a wee man desperately in need of booze. And when a wee man needs booze, you buy him booze.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Leprechauns are notorious sots.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Mine's a Jamesons.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Section 120 posted:

The darkness vanishes and your torch abruptly lights up a smallish chamber. Lying on the floor, carefully extracting his teeth from your ankle, is a Leprechaun!

If this seems like a repeat of the previous Section, the reason is you can also get here by trying to make friends and making the dice roll; in that case, it's at this point the darkness disappears.

Section 120 posted:

'Sure and begorrah,' says the Leprechaun with a thick Irish brogue (you wouldn't expect him to come from Israel, would you?). ' Isn't it sorry I am to be after biting your poor ankle, but wasn't I thinking you might be a monster or that wicked Wizard Ansalom and didn't I launch meself without thinking. But I could tell from the taste you had good decent blood in ye, so let me make amends for the damage.'

With which he hands you a small leather purse and, in the manner of Leprechaun, vanishes.

Go to 114 to discover what's in the purse.

It's worth pointing out that the Wizard Ansalom seems to have a serious problem with squatters. We're in his Dark Castle, and so far we've encountered three people who don't really belong here and who range from indifferent to him (the Fiend) to hating his guts (the Leprechaun) to actively working against him (the Lady).

Section 114 posted:

What's this? More gold? It is, you know - fifty Gold Pieces and a double-headed copper coin. What a bit of luck!

:signings:

Section 114 posted:

But there's more! Tucked away in the bottom of the purse is a parchment scroll. There's something very familiar about this type of scroll. It looks very similar to the scrolls lying about in Merlin's log castle: the ones he uses to write spells on. Get your dice rolling quickly, Pip, to find out what is written on the scroll.

Score 1 or 2 and go to 113.
Score 3 or 4 and go to 88.
Score 5 or 6 and go to 83.
Score 7 or 8 and go to 106.
Score 9 or 10 and go to 93.
Score 11 or 12 and go to 98.

Our Luckstone's no help here, since every Section has a different scroll in it, and we won't know what's there until we get to it.

:rolldice: 3 + 1 = 4, off to 88!

Section 88 posted:

The scroll contains a Healing Spell!

Now that's a really lucky find. Next time you're running a bit low on LIFE POINTS, all you need do is read the scroll and you will be instantly restored to full strength again. (The spell will only work once, though, so make sure not to use it until you really need it.)

We probably will never use this, because of full RPG hoarder mentality, A.K.A. "I might need this later!" *gets killed by level one monster while having a thousand elixirs sitting in the inventory*

Section 88 posted:

There are no exits from this room, so you'd better return to 75 and reconsider your options.

From Section 75 there's only one way we haven't been which isn't backtracking, so let's go west to 71.

Section 71 posted:

The corridor runs due west for no more than ten metres before you reach the entrance to a large, circular chamber. Set in the centre of the chamber, on a polished granite pedestal, is a statue of a tall, black-bearded man with sharp features and (so far as one can tell from a lump of stone) dark, piercing eyes. He is dressed in dark flowing robes and wears the same sort of pointed hat Merlin wore. In one hand he carries a sack from which protudes the head of a pig. In the other hand he holds a long Magician's wand.

A smart adventurer like you, Pip, might guess this to be a statue of the Wizard Ansalom, and you would be right. But better be careful that you aren't dead right, for the moment you step into this chamber, it revolves, sealing off the doorway and revealing no other entrances or exits.

In short, Pip, you are well and truly trapped! You scrabble a bit at the wall behind you where the door used to be, but there is no sign of any control mechanism. So you begin to examine the rest of the chamber.

Probably the first thing you would notice is the small wooden chest on the floor behind the statue. This is less than a metre long and half that in height, but it is very well made, bound in brass with a brass-hinged, upward-lifting lif. You will also notice, set into the floor about three metres away from the chest, a metal lever.

And if you can keep your busy little hands off these two for a moment, there is also an inscription cut into the base of the statue. The inscription reads:

Take heed, Young Woman or Young Man,
This friendly word from Ansalom.
To get out of this room again,
You'll need to exercise your brain.
So take care to remember that
'Twas curiosity killed the cat!

Which just goes to show that however good Ansalom might be as a Wizard, he ins't much of a poet. In fact, as you continue to read the inscription, you find it degenerates into pure gibberish:

Up sfpqfo epps
Hp ejsfdu up tjyuz pof.

Still a better poem than the Fiend's :colbert:

Section 71 posted:

Well now, Pip, here you are in this stupid circular room all set to starve to death. (Have a bully-beef sandwich to help you think.) What now?

You can try to decode those two lines of gibberish, if you like.
You can try opening the little chest, in which case go to 59.
Or you can try pulling that lever, in which case go to 56.

Wonder what he meant by 'curiosity killed the cat'?

Pip’s Stat Block posted:

EXPERIENCE POINTS: :siren: 1 :siren:
INVENTORY:
E.J. (hits on a 4, +5 damage), Dragonhide jerkin (-4 damage), Healing potion (heals two dice rolls) x18, Rope (fifteen metres), Climbing spikes x12, Torch x6, Lantern, Oil flask x4, Tinderbox, Bully-beef :siren: sandwiches sandwich :siren:, Apple x2, Parchment, quill, and ink, Dagger (+2 damage), Wound salve (heals 3 LIFE POINTS) x5, Garlic, Mirror, Hammer, nails and a saw, Lodestone and twine
MAGIC:
Lightning Bolt x8 (10 damage, automatic hit), Fireball x2 (75 damage, hits on a 6 or higher), Magic Duck (Dispels magic, probably? 'Magic Duck, Come to my aid: I'm not afraid!', and turn to 119), Luckstone (plus or minus 3 on any dice roll), :siren: scroll of Healing Spell (heals back to full, single use) :siren:
MONEY AND VALUABLES:
Gold Piece :siren: x56 :siren:, :siren: double-headed copper coin :siren:

Mikl fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Apr 27, 2015

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
According to my brilliant career in cryptography this is a shift cipher with a left shift of one. Decoding it says

to reopen door
go direct to sixty one

Seeing as opening chests or pulling levels strikes me as awfully curious and death doesn't seem cool, maybe we should go to 61.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

Mikl posted:

What's this? More gold? It is, you know - fifty Gold Pieces and a double-headed copper coin. What a bit of luck!

Considering that this came from a Leprechaun, can we arrange to make sure we've spent this before sunrise?

As for this room, however, remember that while curiosity may have killed the cat, satisfaction brought it back. So let's satisfy our curiosity about what's in that chest!

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
Let's not waste our broken as hell Luckstone on an instant death trap.

Go to 61

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.
What if breaking ciphers is curious? :ohdear:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Aithon posted:

What if breaking ciphers is curious? :ohdear:

Guess we're going to find out!

Section 61 posted:

You did it! By George, that was clever! Now you can get out simply by pulling gently downwards on the wand held by the statue. Go on: it won't hurt you. There, see? The room is revolving again, opening up the entrance so you can go back to the junction and decide what to do next.

Go north to 74.
Go east to 76.

We've already been in both directions! In fact, we've explored everywhere we can down here, but the Wizard Ansalom's nowhere to be found! You know what that means, right?

:frogsiren: We have to backtrack! :frogsiren:

Now, look at the map:

Which way should we go from here?

Pip’s Stat Block posted:

EXPERIENCE POINTS: :siren: 2 :siren:
INVENTORY:
E.J. (hits on a 4, +5 damage), Dragonhide jerkin (-4 damage), Healing potion (heals two dice rolls) x18, Rope (fifteen metres), Climbing spikes x12, Torch x6, Lantern, Oil flask x4, Tinderbox, Bully-beef sandwiches sandwich, Apple x2, Parchment, quill, and ink, Dagger (+2 damage), Wound salve (heals 3 LIFE POINTS) x5, Garlic, Mirror, Hammer, nails and a saw, Lodestone and twine
MAGIC:
Lightning Bolt x8 (10 damage, automatic hit), Fireball x2 (75 damage, hits on a 6 or higher), Magic Duck (Dispels magic, probably? 'Magic Duck, Come to my aid: I'm not afraid!', and turn to 119), Luckstone (plus or minus 3 on any dice roll), scroll of Healing Spell (heals back to full, single use)
MONEY AND VALUABLES:
Gold Piece x56, double-headed copper coin

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Looks like the Double Doors via 18

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

Ghostwoods posted:

Looks like the Double Doors via 18

It does seem like this is our only unexplored option at the moment.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Alright then, let's go! Through a corridor, through another corridor, through a chamber, through two caves, through another corridor, up a ladder, and finally through the double doors in the courtyard!

Section 33 posted:

The double doors are closed, but not locked. You step through to find yourself in a second courtyard, stone flagged this time and without Chickens. On the eastern wall this time is a flight of stone steps up to the battlements and towers. About thirty metres in front of you is a whipping post with a manacled Skeleton hanging from it. The total area of the entire courtyard is about eighty square metres. Along the north wall of the courtyard is a row of four three-metre-high stone buildings, each with a closed wooden door. Near the west wall is a three-metre-square wooden building, the door of which is closed and barred with a large iron bolt. By the east wall is another building of stone, six by three metres with its door slightly ajar.

If you decide to climb the steps and investigate the battlements, go to 29, but return to the present Section (33) when you've finished. (Unless you're killed, of course, in which case go to 14.)
If you decide to take a closer look at the Skeleton, go to 24.
If you decide to investigate the row of buildings near the north wall, go to 26.
If you decide to investigate the barred building to the west, go to 28.
If you decide to investigate the half-open door of the building to the east, go to 50.

Lots of options this time! We've already done the first one (and it nearly got us killed), but the other four are all unexplored paths.

My poor map :negative:
I was so, so proud of managing to make a neat map, fitting everything into a relatively small space :(

Pip’s Stat Block posted:

EXPERIENCE POINTS: 2
INVENTORY:
E.J. (hits on a 4, +5 damage), Dragonhide jerkin (-4 damage), Healing potion (heals two dice rolls) x18, Rope (fifteen metres), Climbing spikes x12, Torch x6, Lantern, Oil flask x4, Tinderbox, Bully-beef sandwiches sandwich, Apple x2, Parchment, quill, and ink, Dagger (+2 damage), Wound salve (heals 3 LIFE POINTS) x5, Garlic, Mirror, Hammer, nails and a saw, Lodestone and twine
MAGIC:
Lightning Bolt x8 (10 damage, automatic hit), Fireball x2 (75 damage, hits on a 6 or higher), Magic Duck (Dispels magic, probably? 'Magic Duck, Come to my aid: I'm not afraid!', and turn to 119), Luckstone (plus or minus 3 on any dice roll), scroll of Healing Spell (heals back to full, single use)
MONEY AND VALUABLES:

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Let's head down the list and check out that Skeleton.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

See the bones.

Second courtyard must connect to the battlements, your map is terrible. (I feel your pain - CYOA mapping is a nightmare.)

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Ratatozsk posted:

Second courtyard must connect to the battlements, your map is terrible. (I feel your pain - CYOA mapping is a nightmare.)

That would have been easy... had the book not said that the stairs to the battlements are now on the east side. Specifically. You know, just to spite me and my efforts :mad:

Section 24 posted:

As you approach, the Skeleton moves!

No, you haven't imagined it: that Skeleton definitely moved! In fact, it's springing up and shaking free of its manacles. This looks like trouble. Big trouble. Still, there's always a chance even a Skeleton will be Friendly - how's that for optimism? Roll the dice to find out.

If it isn't friendly, draw your sword and go to 47.
If it is friendly you may be in luck. Go to 52.

First Friendly Reaction roll of the book! Let's refresh the rules:

Friendly Reaction posted:

Roll one die once for your enemy and three times for yourself. If you score less than your enemy, he is Friendly. Proceed as if you had won a fight.

Enemy roll: 4
Our rolls: 1, 3, 1, total 5. Allllmost made it, but unfortunately the Skeleton isn't friendly. But wait! We have our Luckstone! This means we can take 3 off our result, which means we get 2, so the Skeleton is friendly! Thanks Luckstone!

Alternate take, if I wanted to do some extreme rule-lawyering and Luckstone abuse, just because I can:
Literal reading of the rules means we roll for our enemy, so we get to apply our plus-three Luckstone bonus to that throw. Moreover, the rules don't say "roll three dice", they says "roll one die three times", so we get to apply our minus-three Luckstone bonus to each of those three rolls.
Enemy roll: 4 + 3 = 7
Our rolls: 1 - 3 = -2; 3 - 3 = 0; 1 - 3 = -2; total -3, which of course is less than 7, so the Skeleton is friendly.
But breaking the gamebook over our knees isn't fun at all, so let's do this the "proper" way and only use the bonus once.

Either way, let's run off to 52 and see what happens!

Section 52 posted:

'Have you come to rescue me?' asks the Skeleton. 'I've been chained up to that whipping post for ever such a long time!'

'Who are you?' you ask.

'Queen Guinevere,' says the Skeleton promptly, adding, 'I've lost a bit of weight since Ansalom brought me here.'

We win, thanks for playing guys, see you next book!

Section 52 posted:

You don't believe it, of course. For one thing, Queen Guinevere is much shorter than this great big Skeleton. But you can't blame it for trying, so you say, 'If you tell me the truth, I shall let you go free. At least, I won't hack you into chicken feed with my trusty Excalibur Junior.'

'All right! I'll talk!' says the Skeleton. 'I was only a poor (if rather tall) serving lad called Silas in the employ of the wicked Wizard Ansalom. One day I spilled soup down his sporran, he being in Highland dress at the time, and as a punishment he chained me to this whipping post and left me to rot. But he also cast a spell over me to make sure I didn't die, so I could suffer longer. He's that sort, you know. A bad one through and through. That was only a few days ago and I doubt I'd be quite so skeletal now if the Hounds hadn't kept nipping out to bite bits off me.'

Which seems a good a story as any, so you let your hand drop away from your sword hilt.

'Thank you! Thank you!' screams the Skeleton hysterically. 'I'll never forget this: and to prove my gratitude, I'll tell you how to get to the part of the castle where Ansalom has the Queen hidden.'

He does too. If you scrabble about in the first courtyard until you find the secret trapdoor between the portcullis and the doors into this one, you can go direct to 36.

But... We've been down there already, explored the place top to bottom, found nothing at all. What gives? :confused:

Anyway, what shall we do now?

Pip’s Stat Block posted:

EXPERIENCE POINTS: :siren: 3 :siren:
INVENTORY:
MAGIC:
MONEY AND VALUABLES:

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Hmm. Intriguing and possibly confused skeleton.

How about Half-Open Door 50?

AutistTree
Mar 28, 2010
Carefully approach Half-open door Nr. 50.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

AutistTree posted:

Carefully approach Half-open door Nr. 50.

This because :bandwagon:.

Anyway I just caught up to this and just had to say I was really impressed by the intro. Lots and lots of :words: to be sure, but none of the CYOAs I used to read were ever anything to get excited about as far as writing quality went. The author really had some fun with this one and it shows.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Section 50 posted:

'Who's there?' a quavering voice calls as you push the door gently.

You wait until your eyes become accustomed to the gloom inside, then make out the bent figure of a wizened old man seated on a wooden stool at a rickety pine table, eating what appears to be a loaf of stale bread and mouldy cheese. As you enter, he jumps up in alarm.

'Norn hit me, I'm only the poor old Watchman!' he whines. 'Take orl I 'ave, but norn hit me! Take my crust of bread. Take my bite of cheese. Only norn hit me!'

When you naturally reassure him that you have no intention of hitting him, the old maggot promptly tries to stab you sneakily with a dagger which he has concealed up his sleeve. Just shows you can trust nobody round here.

Roll dice to see if he manages to get you with the dagger. If so, it does + 2 damage, with another LIFE POINT automatically lost in the next Section on account of blood poisoning. Now it might be wise to use E.J. to slice him into stock cubes. He has 25 LIFE POINTS and will fight back like a demon.

If you kill the old Watchman, return to 155.
If he kills you, go to 14.

Roll: 2 + 5 = 7, it WOULD do 3 points of damage (accounting for the +2) but our trusty dragonskin jerkin prevents that. Per the rules, I'll subtract 1 LIFE POINT on the next section. He probably nicked us with that dagger or something.

Initiative rolls: Watchman 6 + 3 = 9, Pip 4 + 5 = 9, a tie! Re-roll: Watchman 1 + 4 = 5, Pip 3 + 1 = 4, the Watchman goes first.

Watchman attacks! 1 + 2 = 3, too slow!
Pip attacks! 2 + 6 (+3 on account of the Luckstone) = 11, that's 5 + 5 damage (on account of E.J.), Watchman is down to 15 LIFE POINTS.
Watchman attacks! 2 + 3 = 5, close but no cigar.
Pip attacks! 5 + 1 (+3) = 9, 3 + 5 = 8 damage, Watchman is down to 7 LIFE POINTS.
Watchman attacks! 6 + 3 = 9, Pip is hit for 3 + 2 - 4 = 1 LIFE POINT and is down to 56.
Pip attacks! 6 + 1 (+3) = 10, 4 + 5 = 9 damage, and Watchman is Pip's first kill of the gamebook! :toot: (discounting the zombies, which aren't technically alive, all other fights ended with the enemy falling unconcious upon dropping below 5 LIFE POINTS).

Now we get 1 LIFE POINT worth of blood poisoning, bringing us to 55, and we go to 155.

Section 155 posted:

Well, there's one consolation: the old fool was carrying 70 Gold Pieces, presumably stolen from adventurers he managed to kill with that dagger. You hold on to them now: they may come in handy for Bribery at some stage if you can get hold of a few more.

Now go to 33 and decide where you want to go next.

And we're back in the courtyard. As a refresher:

Section 33 posted:

If you decide to climb the steps and investigate the battlements, go to 29, but return to the present Section (33) when you've finished. (Unless you're killed, of course, in which case go to 14.)
If you decide to take a closer look at the Skeleton, go to 24.

If you decide to investigate the row of buildings near the north wall, go to 26.
If you decide to investigate the barred building to the west, go to 28.
If you decide to investigate the half-open door of the building to the east, go to 50.

Where to next?

Pip’s Stat Block posted:

LIFE POINTS: :siren: 55/36 :siren:
EXPERIENCE POINTS: :siren: 4 :siren:
INVENTORY:
MAGIC:
MONEY AND VALUABLES:
Gold Piece :siren: x126 :siren:, double-headed copper coin

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Wonder if we should have messed with that chest? Or if we're going to find clues around here to take back underground.

Anyway, have a look at the barred building. Bars keep secrets in!

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
We're supposed to be looking for a prisoner, so barred building it is.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Zoe posted:

We're supposed to be looking for a prisoner, so barred building it is.

Oh yeah, so we are. Better have a look there, then.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Section 28 posted:

You approach the door and slide back the iron bolt. Next thing you know, the door bursts open and you are under attack by two savage Hounds. If you had your sword out and ready (tell the truth now) you can strike the first blow against one of the Hounds. If not, the first blow is struck against you.

I'll just let the Hounds have the first blow for this one, we have lots of advantages already.

Section 28 posted:

Each Hound has 20 LIFE POINTS. Each needs to roll only a 5 or better to hit you and scores +3 bite damage. If you have the first blow, the fight sequence goes:

1. You strike.
2. First Hound strikes.
3. Second Hound strikes.
4. You get to strike again.
And so on.

If you hadn't your sword ready, then the sequence is:

1. First Hound strikes.
2. Second Hound strikes.
3. You get to strike back.
4. First Hound strikes again.
And so on.

If the Hounds kill you, go to 14.
If you kill the Hounds, go to 141.

Interesting to note: the Skeleton DID mention the Hounds.

First Hound attacks! 3 + 5 = 8, Pip is hit for 3 + 3 - 4 = 2 LIFE POINTS and is down to 53.
Second Hound attacks! 1 + 6 = 7, Pip is hit for 2 + 3 - 4 = 1 LIFE POINT and is down to 52.
Pip attacks! 4 + 3 = 7, First Hound is hit for 1 + 5 = 6 LIFE POINTS and is down to 14.
First Hound attacks! 4 + 5 = 9, Pip is hit for 4 + 3 - 4 = 3 LIFE POINTS and is down to 49.
Second Hound attacks! 1 + 5 = 6, Pip is hit for 1 + 3 - 4 = 0 LIFE POINTS and nothing happens.
Pip attacks! 4 + 3 = 7, First Hound is (again) hit for 1 + 5 = 6 LIFE POINTS and is down to 8.
First Hound attacks! 5 + 2 = 7, Pip is hit for 2 + 3 - 4 = 1 LIFE POINT and is down to 48.
Second Hound attacks! 3 + 3 = 6, Pip is hit for 1 + 3 - 4 = 0 LIFE POINTS and nothing happens.
Pip attacks! 3 + 4 = 7, First Hound is (again) hit for 1 + 5 = 6 LIFE POINTS, is down to 2 and slumps down unconcious.
Second Hound attacks! 5 + 6 = 11, Pip is hit for 6 + 3 - 4 = 5 LIFE POINTS and is down to 43 (that hurt).
Pip attacks! 4 + 6 = 10, Second Hound is hit for 4 + 5 = 9 LIFE POINTS and is down to 11.
Second Hound attacks! 6 + 3 = 9, Pip is hit for 4 + 3 - 4 = 3 LIFE POINTS and is down to 40.
Pip attacks! 4 + 3 = 7, Second Hound is hit for 1 + 5 = 6 LIFE POINTS, is down to 5 and like his bro falls unconcious.

That was pretty brutal, not even a single miss in the whole combat. And we got a whole 15 (!) of our LIFE POINTS chewed off. Well, let's see what our reward is for defeating these beasts.

Section 141 posted:

Those Hounds were put there for a purpose, Pip. Hounds are Hounds and if the Wizard Ansalom wasn't using them for hunting, he must have been using them to guard something. But what?

Cunning adventurer that you are, you take a careful look around... And find a casket! It's only a small casket and it smells a bit of Hounds, but you open it anyway. And inside, resting on one of those little blue velvet cushions jewellers use, is a diamond ring.

What an interesting find! Even to your inexperienced eye, it's worth at least 170 Gold Pieces. What's more, it may even be magic: you never can tell with rings found in a Wizard's castle. You'll need to rub the ring and throw two dice to find out if the ring is really magic.

Score 2-6 and go to 146.
Score 7-9 and go to 153.
Score 10-12 and go to 156.

:rolldice: 6 + 5 = 11, let's check out 156.

Section 156 posted:

Doesn't seem to be magic. Doesn't seem to be anything except an ordinary valuable ring. But maybe there's something else in the casket. Have a look under the velvet cushion, Pip. Well, well, well - a scrap of parchment. Read it quickly!

To reach the Wizard and your goal, remember always that you must befriend a spider.

Huh, I wonder what that means. And I wonder who put it there.

Section 156 posted:

That's it. Not very helpful, is it? Still, good advice always comes in useful sooner or later and you do have a feeling that this is somehow good advice.

But for the moment, go back to 33 and decide where you will go next.

Well that was fruitful, if a bit painful: we got a nice ring out of it!

Where shall we go next?

Pip’s Stat Block posted:

LIFE POINTS: :siren: 40/36 :siren:
EXPERIENCE POINTS: :siren: 5 :siren:
INVENTORY:
MAGIC:
MONEY AND VALUABLES:
Gold Piece x126, double-headed copper coin, :siren: diamond ring (worth 170 Gold Pieces) :siren:

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
You know what we haven't done yet? Let's sleep and get some life points back.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

inflatablefish posted:

USE A HOUND CARCASS FOR A PILLOW!!

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

inflatablefish posted:

Why not use one of our eighteen healing potions instead? Somehow I really doubt we're going to run out.

Also gently caress no ain't befriending no spider, forget that.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Zoe posted:

Why not use one of our eighteen healing potions instead? Somehow I really doubt we're going to run out.

Because we want to see what happens if we do. It'll be fun! There probably won't even be any horrible death.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
A nap sounds nice. And then the row of buildings.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Alright then!

Just remember that this was your choice :colbert:

Now I lay me down to sleep,
I pray the die my soul to keep...

Die roll: 1, even with the +3 from the Luckstone we're headed... for the Dreamtime (dun dun dunnnn).

Dreamtime posted:

The Section is used ONLY when you decide to Sleep during an adventure. If the dice direct you here, follow these Rules.

1. You enter the Dreamtime with your LIFE POINTS at the exact level they were when you decided to Sleep.
2. You enter the Dreamtime without armour or protection of any sort.
3. You enter the Dreamtime without magic or weapons of any sort, save those which may be given you in a specific encounter.
4. You may take nothing back from the Dreamtime.
5. Any LIFE POINTS lost in the Dreamtime are deducted from your actual LIFE POINTS. If you are killed in the Dreamtime, you are really killed and must go directly to the dreaded 14.

NOW ENTER Dreamtime BY THROWING TWO DICE AND GOING DIRECTLY TO THE DREAMTIME SECTION INDICATED BY YOUR SCORE.

If you survive, return to the Section where you decided to sleep.

Dice roll: 4 + 1 = 5.

Dreamtime Section 5 posted:

You are trying to escape from the turret of a high tower and have climbed out through a narrow window in the hope of scaling down the outside wall. Although there are good toeholds, the surface is very slippery. Roll two dice to discover if you fall: score under 6 and down you go!

If you find that you do fall, roll two more dice to find out if you fall on solid ground or in the moat. Score under 6 and you fall on solid ground for the loss of 10 LIFE POINTS. Score 6 or above and you fall in the moat with no loss of LIFE POINTS, but you must roll two more dice to see if you can swim. Score under 6 and you can't swim: you drown and die.

:ohdear:

Very bad luck, rolling 5! This is literally the second worst possible outcome for that dice roll. No time to waste though, let's see if we die horribly!

Dice roll: 2 + 3 = 5, we slip and fall down!
Dice roll: 3 + 1 = 4, we land on the ground and lose 10 LIFE POINTS.

And now we wake up...

That was painful, now we're down to 30 LIFE POINTS. Moreover, since we ended up in the Dreamtime, we don't get to roll to restore our LIFE POINTS! (Not that it would have helped, since we were already above the maximum thanks to the Lady's blessing :ssh:).

Let's check out the row of buildings before anything else happens.

Section 26 posted:

The smell tells you what these are the moment you open the door. Stables. Not very well cared for, by the look of them. Full of rotting straw and manure, but otherwise empty.

If you don't want to waste time here, go to 33 and reconsider your options.
If you want to risk making a thorough search, go to 41.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. (We have nowhere else to go anyway.)

Section 41 posted:

A thorough search of the stables will reveal a scrap of filthy parchmen on which there is a sketch map of the first courtyard showing a secret trapdoor between the portcullis and the doors to this courtyard. Open the trapdoor, lower yourself down and you can go direct to 36.

Been there, done that.

And with this, we've explored all we have available to explore, but the Wizard Ansalom is nowhere to be found! Where could he be hiding? Have you figured it out? (There's been a specific clue pointing out where we have to go :ssh:)

The map isn't updated since I'm yet again updating from work during lunch break, but there are no significant changes worth noting:

Pip’s Stat Block posted:

LIFE POINTS: :siren: 30/36 :siren:
EXPERIENCE POINTS: 5
INVENTORY:
MAGIC:
MONEY AND VALUABLES:
Gold Piece x126, double-headed copper coin, diamond ring (worth 170 Gold Pieces)

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
Turn to page 36, as the friendly skeleton told us. (If you decide to attack the skeleton, does that make the book unwinnable?)

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
We seem to be getting pointed to page 36 a lot, let's go back and try to figure out something from there.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I think we need to go back and befriend that spider, guys.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

I think things might just work out for us if we take the back way up to the battlements!

Double Plus Undead
Dec 24, 2010
We probably need to befriend a spider to murder those archer insect guys on the battlements and I don't know where to find one, so let's go to 16 and get drunk on wine and see if that helps.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Glazius posted:

I think we need to go back and befriend that spider, guys.

Ding! Give this goon a cigar!

Going to 36 does nothing, as it's simply the Section for the underground tunnel; the clues were pointing us there so we could go down without falling down the trapdoor. We've seen the battlements already, and I'll show you what drinking the wine does in post-gamebook commentary when we've completed our runthrough.

For now, if you remember, there was a Spider the size of a Great Dane down underground, and we bravely fled before it; the clue we found told us we must try to befriend it.

(It's very fortunate that we got that clue, by the way, it was a lucky roll. If we hadn't made it we would be stuck with no clue where to go next, another small defect in this book.)

So now we make our way back underground and we carefully lower ourselves back into the Spider Pit at Section 43:

Section 43 posted:

Crawling towards you across the rough stone floor, no more than two or three metres away, is a giant Spider. This great hairy monster is the size of a Great Dane. A big Great Dane. Swiftly you draw Excalibur Junior. Bravely you leap towards the monster.

'Hey, wait a minute!' screams Excalibur Junior. 'We can't fight a thing that size! I hate spiders.'

So there you are, faced with a giant Spider the size of a big Great Dane and probably poisonous if the truth be told, with a shivering cowardy-custard sword in your hand, a torch that looks as if it might go out any second, and no easy escape.

Isn't this exciting?

If you're mad enough to try to make friends with the Spider, go to 70.
If you decide to force E.J. to fight the spider, go to 64.
If you fancy your chances of climbing up out of the pit, go to 66.

By Jove, befriend a spider we shall!

Section 70 posted:

OK lunatic, roll!

If you get a Friendly Reaction, go to 68.
If not, go to 64.

As always, one dice for them, three for us. We shall use our Luckstone for this, hoping it's enough.

Spider roll: 6
Pip rolls: 2 + 3 + 1 (- 3) = 3, and the spider is Friendly (two out of two for our Friendly Reaction rolls, how's that for luck?).

Section 68 posted:

'Halt, desist and cease,' says the Spider in a melodious female voice that echoes through your head, spiders being in the main female - at least the ones you see. 'Put away that silly little sword: I have no wish to harm you.'

'You can talk!' say you in amazement.

'Not exactly,' says the Spider. 'I am actually using telepathy, which sounds to you as if I am talking. But enough of technicalities. Do I take it you are here to do some mischief to the Wizard Ansalom?'

You nod, hesitantly.

'Good', says the Spider. 'I can't stand that man. He reminds me of a bluebottle: not one single saving grace.' She rubs four of her eight legs together excitedly. 'Well you won't do him much mischief stuck here. Shall I spin you a rope to climb out?'

If you take up the friendly Spider's offer, go to 45.
If you decide to explore the pit further, the Spider will leave you to it, climb out herself and disappear. You go to 73.

Like I said: the Wizard Ansalom has a serious squatter problem :v:
45 is the room from which we get down here, so let's explore the pit at Section 73!

Section 73 posted:

Will you never learn? You've found a Snake now! A little thing, but deadly poisonous. (You can tell by the skull and crossbones marking on its back.) No chance to make friends here - it's trying to bite you already.

The snake has only 12 LIFE POINTS so it's not too difficult to kill. But it only needs to hit you once (by rolling 6 or better) to kill you. Roll to see who gets first strike. And best of luck.

If the Snake kills you, go to 14.
If you kill the Snake, go to 79.

This, incidentally, is the most bullshit fight in this whole gamebook. No matter how healthy you are, no matter how many magic items we've found, one hit and you're dead. Let's see if that happens to us.

Snake initiative roll: 6 + 3 = 9
Pip 2 + 3 (+ 3) = 8

The Snake goes first.

Snake attacks! 5 + 1 = 6, Pip is bitten, and falls down dead.

Didn't even get one attack in :sigh:
Oh well!

:siren: Death the third: bitten by a deadly poisonous snake (you can tell it's poisonous by the skull and crossbones markings on its back) :siren:

As usual, we lose all our precious loot. On the plus side, we can by-pass the Snake fight when we get back to it, which we shall right after re-rolling our LIFE POINTS.

6 + 3 = 9
5 + 3 = 8
3 + 2 = 5

36 LIFE POINTS yet again. Let's see what's past that sneaky Snake.

Section 79 posted:

Going to search again?

If so, go to 69.
If you've had more than enough of this pit, climb out and go to 45.

Once agan I'll make the choice for you, since there's nothing left to explore outside of this pit.

Section 69 posted:

You've found a secret door, Pip. Well done.

Go to 91.

:woop:

This next section presented in picture form, so you can appreciate this gamebook's nice formatting:

:rolldice: 5 + 6 = 11, let's go to 118.

Section 118 posted:

You've got a knack with doors, Pip. It opened ever so quietly. Which is just as well since there are two Guards on the other side, nasty big men with leather armour and swords.

Since you opened the door quietly, you have the advantage of surprise which gives you the first blow against each of them. Go to 86.

Section 86 **B (Each) posted:

You're into a fight, Pip, whether you like it or not. Each Guard has 15 LIFE POINTS. Their swords to + 2 damage and their leather armour subtracts 2 from any damage scored against them.

Remember from 82 who gets first strike. When rolling dice to decide the outcome of this fight, take the two Guards together when you're working out the sequence. Now go to it!

If the Guards kill you, go to 14.
If you kill the Guards, go to 107.

I don't suppose either of you is Friendly and fed up with your boss, no? Friendly Reaction check!

Guard 1 roll: 6
Pip roll vs Guard 1: 3 + 2 + 2 = 7, not Friendly.

Guard 2 roll: 5
Pip roll vs Guard 2: 1 + 1 + 1 = 3, Guard 2 is Friendly!

Pip attacks! 4 + 3 = 7, Guard 1 is hit for 1 + 5 - 2 = 4 LIFE POINTS and is down to 11.
Guard 1 attacks! 5 + 1 = 6, missed!
Pip attacks! 4 + 5 = 9, Guard 1 is hit for 3 + 5 - 2 = 7 LIFE POINTS, is down to 4, and falls unconcious.

Guard 2 will take care of his buddy or something, I guess.

Section 107 posted:

Now that you have time to look around you, you find you are in a small anti-room with a single, well-lit corridor running off northwards. The whole feel of this place is very different to the parts of the Wizard Ansalom's Dark Castle that you have already visited: it feels lived in. If you listen carefully, you can even hear distant sounds. Better move quietly, Pip, and keep a careful look-out.

You creep along the corridor for fifteen metres until you arrive at a T-junction with a second corridor running east/west. A quick glance both ways tells you this corridor is empty for the moment, although you have a feeling someone might happen along at any second.

If you decide to move west along the new corridor, go to 105.
If you decide to move east, go to 96.
If you decide to risk searching for another secret door (and you never know your luck) go to 99.

Well, this was an eventful update! One death, and we've found the way forward. What shall we do now?

Pip’s Stat Block posted:

LIFE POINTS: :siren: 36/36 :siren:
EXPERIENCE POINTS: :siren: 2 :siren:
INVENTORY:
E.J. (hits on a 4, +5 damage), Dragonhide jerkin (-4 damage), Healing potion (heals two dice rolls) x18, Rope (fifteen metres), Climbing spikes x12, Torch x6, Lantern, Oil flask x4, Tinderbox, Bully-beef sandwiches, Apple x2, Parchment, quill, and ink, Dagger (+2 damage), Wound salve (heals 3 LIFE POINTS) x5, Garlic, Mirror, Hammer, nails and a saw, Lodestone and twine
MAGIC:
Lightning Bolt :siren: x9 :siren: (10 damage, automatic hit), Fireball x2 (75 damage, hits on a 6 or higher), :siren: Magic Duck (Dispels magic, probably? 'Magic Duck, Come to my aid: I'm not afraid!', and turn to 119), Luckstone (plus or minus 3 on any dice roll), scroll of Healing Spell (heals back to full, single use) :siren:
MONEY AND VALUABLES:
:siren: Gold Piece x126, double-headed copper coin, diamond ring (worth 170 Gold Pieces) :siren:

Roll of the Dead posted:

Death the first: pecked to death by Savage Chickens.
Death the second: fanged by the Poetic Fiend (sometimes, honesty is not the best policy).
Death the third: bitten by a deadly poisonous snake (you can tell it's poisonous by the skull and crossbones markings on its back).

Mikl fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Apr 30, 2015

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
...wow that is colossal bullshit.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

A few corrections (were you in a rush or something?)

- "You not, hesitantly." Nod?

- There's a failed quote tag a bit later.

- I am quite sure that "anti-room" must be ante-room. Both in the text and in your map. Ante means 'before' as in 'a room before a large room'. 'Anti-room' would mean 'against room' and makes no sense. Did the actual book make the same mistake?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Carbon dioxide posted:

A few corrections (were you in a rush or something?)

- "You not, hesitantly." Nod?

- There's a failed quote tag a bit later.

- I am quite sure that "anti-room" must be ante-room. Both in the text and in your map. Ante means 'before' as in 'a room before a large room'. 'Anti-room' would mean 'against room' and makes no sense. Did the actual book make the same mistake?

Fixed the first two, thanks! As for the third, I'm copying from the book, so all wierd spelling is the book's own (except for where it's a typo, but that's not the case here).

• Locked thread