Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
CHUG! CHUG! CHUG! CHUG! CHUG! CHUG! CHUG! CHUG! (The cider, specifically.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Seyser Koze posted:

I'm honestly surprised we haven't ended up at 14 yet.

We have, actually. Pecked to death by chickens. The OP just didn't add death info to the stat block.

Also, that thing with the trap door is actually pretty clever!

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Ah, the Fiend. I remember the Fiend. (That doesn't mean I remember whether going to the Temple instead is a good or bad idea. But I definitely remember the Fiend!)

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Sure, let's tell him the truth. What could possibly go wrong? :drac:

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Carbon dioxide posted:

Unless there are unexpected instadeaths, I think it might've become impossible to lose now.

Never discount the ability of goons to get killed accidentally. Or on purpose. :devil:

I vote east, on the principle that it'll probably make Mikl have to redraw the map.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Zoe posted:

Why not use one of our eighteen healing potions instead? Somehow I really doubt we're going to run out.

Because we want to see what happens if we do. It'll be fun! There probably won't even be any horrible death.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Turn to page 36, as the friendly skeleton told us. (If you decide to attack the skeleton, does that make the book unwinnable?)

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Where else in the book might you have used the garlic, anyway? (I'm not sure we should count the offering sandwich thing.)

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

I thought the rules for Firefinger changed, requiring us to make a to-hit roll even if we brought some from the previous book?

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

We're never going to actually accumulate any experience or treasure, are we?

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

My bet is on Ethelbert taking all the credit, either deliberately or because someone yells 'Ethelbert has returned victorious!' and no one can hear you correct them over the thunderous reveling.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Any chance of getting a cleaned-up map? I'm having trouble reading the scan.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Mikl posted:

Is this better?

Much. Thanks!

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

On the principle that as many people will be swayed to dumb action as to smart action: if I recall correctly, emerald anything is usually bad in these books. :devil:

Let's move on to 75 to get ourselves killed by a random encounter avoid backtracking.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

I know we're playing recklessly on account of the cursed gem, but if we'd cast protection from poison, I presume it'd have protected us here?

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Interesting! By diverging from Merlin's instructions somewhat, we've acquired a light source, which will be useful once we find the Kingdom of the Dead again. Page 46 looks the most interesting, and you can't go too wrong with coffins, so let's go that way.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Well, by my math, OPENING COFFIN = SECTION FORTY FOUR.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

I also vote Section 85. We've already cleared the northwest and northeast doors, and this will clear the southeast.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

It slices, it dices, it makes Julienne fries in seconds!

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Hopefully it's not an omen that we're currently on page 14 of the thread.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

That assumes the hill is six miles long, but that doesn't matter; since they must go down exactly as much as they go up, and they go up at 3 MPH and down at 6 MPH, it takes them (1/3 + 1/6) = half an hour to cover a mile of hill twice. It also takes them (1/4 + 1/4) = half an hour to cover a mile of level ground twice. Since they spent six hours all told, they covered twelve miles of ground twice, so your answer of 24 miles is correct.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Carbon dioxide posted:

Can we use up the polish right now? I vote for that.

I don't think we're allowed to put all six doses on at once. It'd be more polish than sword at that point. :v:

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

I can't wait to see how Pip fails to get rewarded this time. Perhaps the neighbor kid will steal his knighthood between books. :allears:

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

I've noticed this particular scanner failure in a lot of old gamebook images. Anyone know the technical reason for it?

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

I note the instructions for how to handle the fight if you die but some of your comrades are still alive. Did you have the enemies prioritizing high-value targets? Would it have made a difference if you had?

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

I say go to the trilithon, for one simple reason: if I recall correctly, green glowing magic is Bad.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Carbon dioxide posted:

..Did we stumble into Moria?

Goon that I am, my first thought was Boatmurdered.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

What, no option for poking the water with a stick or something? I'm now imagining us deciding to swim ends with us diving head-first onto a coral reef and us deciding to walk ends with us plunging through the water into a nest of eels or something.

Let's look for a boat. Hopefully the other options will either still be on the table or be made moot if we don't find one.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Pip used Coin Toss! (But try for the Friendly Reaction first, as it's free.) We lose it all anyway if we go to 14, don't we?

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Section 160 posted:

This place is bigger inside than it is on the outside, like a Tardis or a Mini Minor.

For reference:

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Room 104 is also a dead end. Let's try that.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Junpei Hyde posted:

Try fighting the guards again.

There's no reason to; literally our only reward for winning is then being allowed to leave that room, and as Perky said, we've already seen capture.

Alumnus Post posted:

Oh man, that picture would make a great avatar.

I think it's got too much fine detail to turn out very well, but I gave it a go anyway:

This must be about the dumbest decision you've ever made in any adventure.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

inflatablefish posted:

Yes! Boldly stride up through the illusionary door of the illusionary castle on top of the very real and very high cliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii..........

*splat*

ABORT ABORT ABORT

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Trust the Poetic Fiend. Mainly because, in my experience, not doing as the Poetic Fiend says fangs you straight to 14.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

It's a simple off-by-one cipher. The dead-ends are, of course, 'DEATH'. To the left is 'ESCAPE', to the right 'DEMONDIM', and in the center... 'YGCRQP'? Okay, going the other way gives 'WEAPON'. So I'm guessing we want 66.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Almost certainly this is a secret test of character. Almost certainly. But I'm going to laugh if he says 'if you're willing to stand up to those odds, you don't need armor', even if he doesn't then squish us like a bug.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Can we go with the 'burninate him with an illusion' plan?

Also, as far as the odds go: I can't find what we need to roll to hit with unarmed combat. If you can give me that, I can calculate the odds of pummeling him down.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Mikl posted:

We could go with that plan, sure! The only problem is that if he disbelieves the illusion it won't work, but there's no harm in trying.

Unarmed combat it's treated as a hit-on-6, +0 weapon (meaning we hit on a 6, but the damage is "number rolled - 6" so we need at least a 7 to actually do damage).

Okay then. So if we roll a 7, we do one point of damage, up to rolling a 12 giving us 6 points of damage. Meanwhile, he has only to roll a 9 or better thrice. If I've done the math right, that means we have a surprisingly high 40% chance of beating him if we have the initiative and a 34% chance of beating him even without it.

E: the math: f(p, v, i) is the probability of our success, where p is Pip's remaining 'health' (0 to 3), v is Vulcan's remaining 'health' (-5 to 18), and i is who has the initiative (0 being Pip and 1 being Vulcan). f(0, n, m) = 0; f(n, m, o) = 1 for m <= 0.

f(p, v, 0) = 15 / 36 * f(p, v, 1) + 6 / 36 * f(p, v - 1, 1) + 5 / 36 * f(p, v - 2, 1) + 4 / 36 * f(p, v - 3, 1) + 3 / 36 * f(p, v - 4, 1) + 2 / 36 * f(p, v - 5, 1) + 1 / 36 * f(p, v - 6, 1).

f(p, v, 1) = 26 / 36 * f(p, v, 0) + 10 / 36 * f(p - 1, v, 0).

I set up a spreadsheet to make the calculations.

E2: I can calculate whether trying the illusion spell will actually help (we have to roll 11+, then hit a 50-50 chance, for it to work, right?), but not right this second, as I have an appointment to get to.

E3: let dp(v) be the expected damage if we attempt to punch Vulcan, where v is his remaining 'health'. It is defined as follows for different values of v:
  • <= 0: 0.
  • 1: 21 / 36 * 1, or 0.58333...
  • 2: 6 / 36 * 1 + 15 / 36 * 2, or 1.
  • 3: 6 / 36 * 1 + 5 / 36 * 2 + 10 / 36 * 3, or 1.2777...
  • 4: 6 / 36 * 1 + 5 / 36 * 2 + 4 / 36 * 3 + 6 / 36 * 4, or 1.444...
  • 5: 6 / 36 * 1 + 6 / 36 * 2 + 4 / 36 * 3 + 3 / 36 * 4 + 3 / 36 * 5, or 1.52777...
  • 6+: 6 / 36 * 1 + 6 / 36 * 2 + 4 / 36 * 3 + 3 / 36 * 4 + 2 / 36 * 5 + 1 / 36 * 6, or 1.555...
di(v) is the expected damage if we attempt to use the illusion spell on Vulcan. Its definition is much simpler: di(v) = 3 / 36 * 1 / 2 * v.

For v in the range 1 to 5, dp(v) > di(v), so there's no point in trying to use the illusion if Vulcan is at 5 or fewer 'health'. But what about the general case? Well, then we need di(v) > 14 / 9 (or 1.555...) Substituting the definition of di(v), we get:

3 / 36 * 1 / 2 * v > 14 / 9
1 / 12 * 1 / 2 * v > 14 / 9
1 / 24 * v > 14 / 9
v > 14 / 9 * 24
v > 37.333...

As v is never greater than 18, it's never worth it to try the illusion spell.

FredMSloniker fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Dec 30, 2015

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

"What was I saying? Yes - very special armour which will let you win all your fights without any chance of injury. And some excellent magical gear." Yeah, hands up, anyone who thought something wouldn't happen to Merlin before he could give us that. No hands? I thought so.

Use EJ. The only help peasants are likely to give us is a rendition of the sword in basket trick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

inflatablefish posted:

BACK TO MERLIN'S HOUSE TO ROLL A 1 OR A 6 AND GO STRAIGHT TO 14 BECAUSE gently caress YOU

Considering that, to get this far, we had to burn the one good item (aside from EJ) we could loot, this book has already established that it hates you and all you stand for.

• Locked thread