Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
I bet the fiend turns out to be nice and wants to offer us tea and biscuits. Let's find out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

No, we lie like crazy per instructions.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

I think it's only fair that a poem for this particular, err, individual should take advantage of his rather, um, unique understanding of meter and structure.

All we really had to do was lie
But some goons desperately wanted us all to die
They bade us speak true
Which we then had to do
It bit us in the rear
Now we've reset our gear
Including that garlic
Which would be really useful in this situation if the hero of the book weren't a little thick
But we lost our loot
Which isn't a hoot
Anyway what's the deal with this Pip
He's kind of a dip
Why can't we use the garlic on this vampire
Seriously, this dude is just straight-up a vampire... which arouses my ire
Come on, why do you even include suspiciously obvious garlic in a list of things that an adventurer has if you aren't supposed to use it to fight a vampire at some point that's just common sense much like that possessed by your dad
You cad

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

I'm sure there are plenty of bullshit instadeaths that yet await. East sounds fine, why not.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

The style of writing on these really is unique. I dig it.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

inflatablefish posted:

I think we should get leather armour, a dagger, a food pack, a backpack, a waterbag, some rope, some torches, and five healing potions. I think that's all 80 silver.

Once we've got all that, let's go to Section 155 'cos it's closest and I'm feeling lazy.

The armor is just a straight bonus, since we can wear our jerkin, so that seems good. The book also told us we need a weapon apart from EJ, and a dagger is the cheapest way of doing that, so that makes sense too. (Hopefully EJ will be usable in the majority of encounters, so investing heavily in a non-EJ weapon probably isn't that great an idea. Now that I've said this, we'll lose him in the first section.)

I don't think we need to buy five rounds of potions, though; note that each 3 silver gets us a dozen. We will hopefully not need sixty potions. Let's get two of those (24 potions) instead, and use the other nine silver as follows:

* 6 Sacks: 0.5
* 12 Climbing Spikes: 0.5
* 15m roll of bandages: 0.5
* 1 tinderbox: 0.5
* 1 container of oil: 1
* 12 fish hooks: 1
* 1 carpentry hammer: 1
* 1 blanket: 1
* 1 horn: 3

My reasoning: sacks ought to be useful for a bunch of things, we'll need the spikes as well as rope if we want to climb anything, the bandages might come in handy if we're not allowed to feed healing potion to other people, torches are useless without a tinderbox to light them with, the oil isn't as useful without a lamp but we might want to set something on fire, fish hooks are helpful if we need to fish for food (since our supplies appear to be limited), the blanket will help us sleep since we probably aren't buying a tent, and the fact that three musical instruments are on the list makes me suspicious so we should probably pick one up and the horn is the cheapest.

I'd like to get a bunch of the other stuff, too, but it's hard to know what to prioritize. (Parchment? We might need to write a note? Cooking utensils, but they're expensive... Change of clothes sounds like something the game will bullshit us with...)

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

I was wondering if we'd have to re-do the equipment every time.

Let's try out the woods.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

We might run into a situation where we actually want alternate equipment, though, like if it turns out you can't complete the book without parchment for some reason.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Glazius posted:

Wait, it was easier to just take a running jump at the chasm? Ouch.

This is seriously the best. Bringing along helpful gear and using it triples the difficulty of the task.

Sure, let's go through the shimmering door thing.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

We haven't done much with magic yet this book, so yeah, let's give that a shot. I'm sure it won't kill us hilariously.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

I think that is the hidden secret of these books. They're teaching you about the transitory nature of material possessions.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Weeellll poo poo.

Let's go to 137.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Jazzimus Prime posted:

Let's try two up, one down this time.

Seems reasonable enough.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

If we have time to use the snuffbox or quaff a healing potion before killing them, let's do that too.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

We definitely want to keep trying to talk to this snake.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Ghostwoods posted:

Jeez. Nine things is the max, and that assumes we have to drop something to pick up anything we might find. And there's no clue as to what might be vital.

I note the book specifically mentions the Artificial Aardvark, bookworm, blue powder, clickstick, gold braid, joke book, xylophone, hammer, and saw.

That's nine items. What the hell. Let's go for those.
Artificial Aardvark
bookworm
blue powder
clickstick
gold braid
hammer
joke book
saw
xylophone

Let's do this, except swap the saw for climbing spikes. It seems like there isn't a good way of predicting what we'd need aside from Pip's tendency to fall down things a lot.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Explosions posted:

If memory serves, the spikes weren't any good without also bringing a rope in the last book. Vote for rope to replace the gold braid, gold is lying around everywhere in this drat kingdom, what has gold ever done for us.

We (or at least I) thought it would be that way at the beginning of the book, but if I recall properly every actual use was "if you have the rope or the climbing spikes". It's entirely possible that this book is different, but assuming not we could take either but probably don't need both.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Let's waste some time, since there's not a big downside to getting ourselves killed this early.

Also, it looks like the levitation spell might partially compensate for our lack of climbing apparatus, thankfully. Let's hope Pip doesn't fall down a bit more than three times.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Seriously, what are we going to do, just find a random jewel and NOT pick it up? That's not how adventurers do their thing.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Once we get brutally murdered, can we redo the equipment too?

I'll second the move to 75.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Jazzimus Prime posted:

One and go north into the village.

This, but first let's trade the saw for a container of oil. That way if we find a lamp we might be able to use it. (I didn't see a light source in the initial equipment list, but maybe we can find one by wandering around.)

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

85 is right there, so why the heck not.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Ratatozsk posted:

Chug a potion then sleep. The best of both worlds (and then sleeping is less likely to kill us outright.)

Sure, best of both worlds.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Let's switch off the machine first. Maybe they'll get tired after attacking us once and have to sit down for a long rest.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Let's just go down the stairs. We've got enough things at this point that dying due to random dice rolls would be somewhat upsetting and I wouldn't want to bank on that resurrection spell.

I mean, I'm sure this will result in us dying anyway due to not having a required item that's in one of the rooms on this floor, but let's cheat 14 as long as we can.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Let's use that amulet and head for 147, since it looks like we can only get there from here anyway.

Incidentally:

Mikl posted:

Wait, how does this work? I'm confused. Does this mean that the Ghastly Kingdom of the Dead is literally the afterlife, i.e. where people go when they've died, instead of being just a name like Monster Island?

Probably Ansalom cast the resurrection spell we got out of his spellbook on himself and was laying low until we reslaughtered him. Let's hope he doesn't roll well this time.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

How many more of these have we got to go? I hope it's a lot.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Take the beating. Maybe we can find some upgraded gear and come back to this room later for sweet, sweet vengeance.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

It's all your avatar's fault, obviously.

It's cool, man, thread will still be here when you get well.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Ring fort!

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Merlin's message said to head to Lost Island right away, so we should definitely hold off on going there for as long as possible. How about Dragon Island? Dragons are basically big snakes, right?

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Yeah, let's do the dreamtime. We haven't died to something stupid in a while.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

It would be ungallant and unbecoming of a knight not to accept the invitation to this obvious trap.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Let's do the following:

Stand in the light and drink from the chalice. We're not sneak-thieves (present evidence nonwithstanding)!

Gamble with the cook exactly one time. The game is rigged against us (ties go to him), but we have enough money to risk 11 gold on the off chance that there's a "if you gambled with the cook" sort of check later and also just to be a good sport in general.

Try to make friends with the scholar. If that fails, do not murder the scholar. Not only does killing a harmless old man not seem particularly knightly, there is absolutely no way the book is not about to royally screw us on that fight.

Edit: Can we retry for friendly reactions after dying? If so, come back here and try for another friendly reaction next time we die, if we fail.

idonotlikepeas fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Dec 6, 2015

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

We ain't afraid of no ghosts.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

To avoid a sharp fang subcutaneous
We'll accept his help (how'ere extraneous)
And if things go wrong
(As they have all along)
We'll handle it extemporaneous

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

An adventurer bold named young Pip,
Was required to return to his ship.
But he never dreamed
With the help of the Fiend,
He'd gear up under our stewardship

But I've another verse left to share
While we for the Lost Island prepare
We should really let loose
And re-recruit that mongoose
In case any snakes we find there

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

When someone asks you to wrestle a god, you say yes!

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

We only run away when it would be funnier to do so. Time to ogg a god.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Mikl posted:

'No,' whispers the Voice, 'it isn't either of those. I tell you what, I'll make it easier for you. I will add five to the number I'm thinking of Now I'll subtract two. Now I'll add fifteen. And now I'll take away the number I first thought of Now I'll multiply by two. Finally, I shall add one hundred and fifty-one. Can you tell me the number I'm thinking of now?'

For the record:

2(X + 5 - 2 + 15 - X) + 151
2(5 - 2 + 15 + X - X) + 151
2(5 - 2 + 15) + 151
2(18) + 151
36 + 151

• Locked thread