Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Of courthe hith name would be Igor, what elthe?

Anyway, point your finger at that beardy bastard and say it aloud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Uh, are we the readers supposed to keep track of items?

In that case it might be useful to use some healing items before doing anything else.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rorJCGF1aM

I say RUN.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

The book straight out tells you to put on an unidentified ring that might well be cursed. :psyduck:

I'm in favour of elongating the map. Let's go further north!

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Let's find out if this book has narrative sense... I'm expecting some creature to appear and take a gold coin as soon as you climb aboard the boat. Also, what could possibly go wrong? Climb aboard the party boat!

...That sword really hates spiders.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I wonder if we're still in the castle somehow.

Check out the island.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

There was once a nice guy known as Pip
Merlin sent him on a lengthy trip
Pip did have to lie
To make the Wiz die
And the Fiend would retrieve the lost ship

There was once a wizard as dark as pitch
Who opined that Pip's plan was quite rich
But, using a map
He could beat each trap
And Pip would make Ansalom his bitch

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Unless there are unexpected instadeaths, I think it might've become impossible to lose now.

Anyway, those 25 additional life points? Those are basically Binding of Isaac's soul hearts. And here was I, thinking that BoI had come up with a clever little idea.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

A few corrections (were you in a rush or something?)

- "You not, hesitantly." Nod?

- There's a failed quote tag a bit later.

- I am quite sure that "anti-room" must be ante-room. Both in the text and in your map. Ante means 'before' as in 'a room before a large room'. 'Anti-room' would mean 'against room' and makes no sense. Did the actual book make the same mistake?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Uh, Merlin, if more things can come out of that Gateway, isn't it better to close it first, worry about the dragon later?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

idonotlikepeas posted:

The armor is just a straight bonus, since we can wear our jerkin, so that seems good. The book also told us we need a weapon apart from EJ, and a dagger is the cheapest way of doing that, so that makes sense too. (Hopefully EJ will be usable in the majority of encounters, so investing heavily in a non-EJ weapon probably isn't that great an idea. Now that I've said this, we'll lose him in the first section.)

I don't think we need to buy five rounds of potions, though; note that each 3 silver gets us a dozen. We will hopefully not need sixty potions. Let's get two of those (24 potions) instead, and use the other nine silver as follows:

* 6 Sacks: 0.5
* 12 Climbing Spikes: 0.5
* 15m roll of bandages: 0.5
* 1 tinderbox: 0.5
* 1 container of oil: 1
* 12 fish hooks: 1
* 1 carpentry hammer: 1
* 1 blanket: 1
* 1 horn: 3

My reasoning: sacks ought to be useful for a bunch of things, we'll need the spikes as well as rope if we want to climb anything, the bandages might come in handy if we're not allowed to feed healing potion to other people, torches are useless without a tinderbox to light them with, the oil isn't as useful without a lamp but we might want to set something on fire, fish hooks are helpful if we need to fish for food (since our supplies appear to be limited), the blanket will help us sleep since we probably aren't buying a tent, and the fact that three musical instruments are on the list makes me suspicious so we should probably pick one up and the horn is the cheapest.

I'd like to get a bunch of the other stuff, too, but it's hard to know what to prioritize. (Parchment? We might need to write a note? Cooking utensils, but they're expensive... Change of clothes sounds like something the game will bullshit us with...)

Let's do this.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Just caught up with the thread.

I am really wondering what would've happened if you'd decided to stay with the monks in the village.

Also, another mistake in the book. It speaks of the smell of burning sulfur and about a new smell: the unmistakable smell of methane.

Methane has no smell whatsoever. Most sources have some sulphuric component added to it, either naturally, or artificially to make it easier to detect leaks. So, I don't know what Pip smelled but it certainly wasn't methane.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I'm guessing there's gonna be enemies that can slow you down, and you might not be able to throw away something in the middle of a battle.

So maybe take no more than 8 items, just to be sure?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

We're cursed anyway. Just continue searching, there's nothing to lose.

Question: If you die and go back to pick up useful things you found before, do you have to roll for random encounters again?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

First thought:

Jazzimus Prime posted:

This, but quaff two healing potions first. And DON'T risk the Dreamtime. Too many chances of a bullshit instant death.

Thirded.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Beat guards, get treasure. We didn't come all this way for nothing. And maybe the treasure room has a ring of +1 coolness or something.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Return to 129, make a zig-zag pattern north -> west -> south -> west -> north -> west and so on, let us know if there's anything interesting in any of the tiny rooms, if not, skip to the next corridor.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

If I remember correctly, the only currently reachable places we haven't been to yet are 135 and 87. 87 screams 'progress' to me (or not, there might be a really good item hidden in that half of the maze), so I'd say go to 135 first.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

quote:

But if it does work, you are completely resurrected with all your original LIFE POINTS

quote:

Nice reward. It doesn't specify how many LIFE POINTS we get when we come back to life

???

Anyway, I want the treasure in 126

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Can we use up the polish right now? I vote for that.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

FredMSloniker posted:

I've noticed this particular scanner failure in a lot of old gamebook images. Anyone know the technical reason for it?

All I can guess is that those pen drawings with the large amount of black/white lines somehow 'overload' the scanner's processing. Looks like the scanner processes the image in square blocks, and where the overload happens, they just turn white (with some noise at the edges, which might be caused by anti-aliasing).

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Always fight.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Glazius posted:

Ancient Greece, huh? Hmm. Wonder if Excalibur's gone because some young Pip grabbed it up in the past to deliver it in the future. Then again, do we know Excalibur's missing?

What?

As far as I gather you aren't in Pip's body. Merlin's spell put you in a random Greek prisoner's body. And you're trying to survive until Merlin finds you. That's why you don't have anything, not even magic, right now.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Spare him, a knight never says no to a request for help.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

..Did we stumble into Moria?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I'm guessing we might not need all of them. Let's skip this one for now and only come back if we're somehow blocked further along.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

But is it a blue or a purple boat?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

quote:

That which, if multiplied by five, then ten, then the same added, plus a further score, equates to your present location, will gain you ample reward for your insight.

Let's see. We are on 170. A score is 20.

Possible answers are 1, 2 and 3. Let's try all of them

1 * 5 * 10 + 10 + 20 = 80, nope
2 * 5 * 10 + 10 + 20 = 130, no
3 * 5 * 10 + 10 + 20 = 180, close but no cigar.

There's no correct answer (well, it's 2.8 but that makes no sense). So either there's an error in the book here or I'm missing something obvious.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Do not dive. It looks like the surface of the lake might be solid, you don't want to hurt your head.

It would be an option to walk. Worst that can happen is you fall into the water and drown. Except you can't drown any more.

But if there's a boat, that's definitely the best option. Boat seconded

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I fully concur.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

If it was good enough for Caesar it is good enough for me. :colbert:

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

If you accidentally calculate the wrong number, you can end up in any place in the book at all. Interesting.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Speaking of the fairy kingdom, EJ is made of iron, right?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Uh, I've been there a few years ago. You could get an audio guide, which had a neat description of each numbered spot. I suppose they don't have audio guides in Merlin's time?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

FredMSloniker posted:

Huh! So the numbers aren't just arbitrary positions? Neat.

Anyway, how about we spiral in from the outside? I'm voting 5, 16, 26, 15, 56, and 72, in that order. However, I'm also voting that if we get the opportunity to back out, take it; if possible, I want an overview of the possibilities before committing more fully to any of them. (Mainly because I don't want to go to the next part of the book having missed some cool goodie.)

Heh. That was not quite what I meant. No, in reality they set out a fenced-off tourist route around and through the structure, with numbered signs that are in order. Every time you see a sign you can press the corresponding button on the audio player and you'll hear an explanation that has to do with that specific location on the route.

The numbers in the book don't have to do anything with that, as far as I know.

One thing I do remember is that the folks who built the thing used stones that aren't available anywhere closer than Northern Wales. So they dragged those heavy things a far distance. One possible reason was that these stones always feel warm to the touch compared to other rocks, no matter the weather. Ancient people might've thought this was magic. To show this, they had placed a local stone next to one of the Stonehenge stones and you could touch them. The audio guide made it sound like this was some kind of unexplained phenomenon - actual magic?

Of course, the explanation is simple: those rocks have lower heat conductivity. Just like metal feels colder than wood at the same temperature, because metal conducts the heat away from your hand faster. I'm sorry if I destroyed anyone imagination.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Destroy those bandits.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Sounds to me it's time to prepare our poetic creativity again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

theamazingchris posted:

I've got an itch to see the world's edge. Let's go north.

Agreed.

• Locked thread