Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
I recently put an LSI 9260-8i and 4 WD Red's into my server, which runs ESXi 5.5. I am running MSM 14.11.01.00 in a Windows 2012 VM with Java v8u40 (Also tried with v7u76). All drivers are updated under ESXi.

In the LSI BIOS, all drives report 6gbps connections. Under MSM, one drive was showing 3gbps negotiated link speed. I made note of which drive it was, restarted, looked in the BIOS and all showed 6gbps. I changed SAS connectors, rebooted, checked in the BIOS and verified all was at 6gbps, and then I launched the host and checked in MSM and a different drive (by serial number) shows 3gbps, so the problem doesn't simply follow a drive. I also have used 3 different SAS cables at this point.

I am kind of thinking its an MSM problem because the BIOS shows all is OK, but I am not positive. Any input would be awesome.

SiGmA_X fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Apr 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
I don't think there's much point in worrying about this, as these drives top out at around 150MB/sec so it shouldn't affect anything.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Alereon posted:

I don't think there's much point in worrying about this, as these drives top out at around 150MB/sec so it shouldn't affect anything.
Yeah, I agree with you there. It's just rather odd and bugs me.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
It's not a problem with the port you have them connected to right? I would check something that can view SMART error logs (if you can see it through the controller or it has that capability) to see if the "UDMA CRC Error Count" is non-zero, maybe something is causing link CRC errors that are downgrading the speed.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Alereon posted:

It's not a problem with the port you have them connected to right? I would check something that can view SMART error logs (if you can see it through the controller or it has that capability) to see if the "UDMA CRC Error Count" is non-zero, maybe something is causing link CRC errors that are downgrading the speed.
Which port, the SAS on the RAID card? I've tried both ports, with 3 different cables. And it's been on 2 different motherboards too. I have a few spare single drives I can try on hooping up and see what happens when I move to drive from port to port - I have wanted to test out my new hot-swap abilities so I'll do that tonight, and look into SMART logs and report back.

• Locked thread