Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Aye Doc posted:

the leafs fanbase shoulld start a Milbury/McGuire 2015 rally imo
You shut your dirty whore mouth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Mr. Kite posted:

Thoughts on the Kings:

Anze Kopitar finished the season as the highest scoring Slovenian in the league. Again.
Tyler Toffoli finished with the 3rd most point on the team in his 3rd season and he's an RFA. Guy is getting paid.
Jarrett Stoll is a UFA and finished with 17 points. See you 'round. Thanks for the OT goal in 2012.
I'd like to see them resign Williams.
Mike Richards cap hit is 4M, which isn't even that high now. Hopefully this year was kind of an anomaly and he can go back to 40ish points.

The Kings D-core is pretty great. It consists of 5 pretty good to very good players all being paid fairly.
Sekera ended up being a waste of a 1st. Indifferent to him resigning, but they'll need someone and he wasn't bad.

The last few years I've been so uninterested in the teams prospects, I don't even know who is in the pipeline. Not sure if they'll need to sign free agents or just bring up guys.

Surprised you didn't mention the emergence of McNabb, who looks excellent.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
Oh my word Rosie DiManno

quote:

How do you measure the sullenness of a Kessel, the black hole of nothingness in Phaneuf’s heart, the escalating indifference of James van Riesmsdyk, the between-the-ears frailty of Jonathan Bernier — pulled three times in March alone — and the chronic callowness of Jake Gardiner.

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

We've got the American Jesus
Bolstering national faith

We've got the American Jesus
Overwhelming millions every day

evenworse username posted:

Leafs have fired Horacek and Nonis I guess?

Carlyle is gone, Nonis is gone and the Leafs have a top 5 pick. All things considered it was a good season.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Aye Doc posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OemNp6hgX4

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
Mirtle says the Panthers resigned Jagr?

I gotta get off Twitter.

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

We don't really care about what that bug-eyed fat walrus has to say

Oh my word Rosie DiManno

emelin for gardiner, prust for van riesmsdyk

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Arabian Jesus posted:

Carlyle is gone, Nonis is gone and the Leafs have a top 5 pick. All things considered it was a good season.
NHL April Eliminated Teams Thread: Everything Is Awesome, Everything Is Awesome All Of The Time

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004
Apparently the leafs also fired 18 scouts

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
I heard James Reimer is the leading candidate for GM.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

abuse culture. posted:

Apparently the leafs also fired 18 scouts

GM, Coach, Assistant Coaches and 18 scouts today

Shanahan probably got to use the giant "YOU'RE FIRED" rubber stamp today, didn't he?

StarcraftM
Jan 15, 2008

Full Fuckin' Circle.
After drinking and thinking about it

Chairelli needs to be fired and fired so bad

That Boychuk deal, still one of the dumbest trades I've ever seen, dealing a top 4 or top 2 d-man to keep a washed up Simon Gagne

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Cannot wait for Dubas to be promoted and get to deal with the horseshit that is Steve Simmons All Municipal Media

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Mirtle says the Panthers resigned Jagr?

I gotta get off Twitter.

One year contract. Hell yeah, this team is gonna own. Now we just need Jagr to teach McDavid as well..

onemillionzombies
Apr 27, 2014

@Rich_Hammond
Rather epic session with Dean Lombardi. He confirmed that players had locker-room incident with Sutter but didn’t seem upset. More to come

tl;dr: LA Kings locked Daryl Sutter out of the room after a loss and barricaded the door with large recycle bins because they didn't want to be berated for their play again.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Aye Doc posted:

I want to see what McGuire could do as a GM so bring it on, its not like he could make them worse.

I of course say this as not a leafs fan

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

sbaldrick posted:

I want to see what McGuire could do as a GM so bring it on, its not like he could make them worse.

I of course say this as not a leafs fan

Always fielding the youngest NHL team with the average age around ~18-19 :pedo:

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

kessel would never get traded, his big body and active stick and firm yet supple butt, thighs, and hips are all big pluses for mcguire

Harriet II
Feb 28, 2015

E L O I S E

Oh my word Rosie DiManno

Gardiner is DiManno's favorite probably. There were long discussions in the press zone.

quote:

Jaromir Jagr is no longer the player he once was.

Jake Gardiner is not yet the player he is in the process of becoming.

Their paths crossed repeatedly on Monday night, the venerable and the drat near callow — Jagr showing flashes of his old-time genius, Gardiner showing flashes of his wondrous possibilities.

Legend and novitiate fighting for the puck behind Toronto’s net, seeing the white’s of an iconic enemy’s eyes.

“He’s so strong, the way he skates, so good with the puck,’’ marveled Gardiner afterwards, in the wake of a home-side 5-2 loss that has once against changed the landscape on this Eastern Conference quarter-final series with Boston.

Unfortunately, the uplifting momentum was sucked out of the Leafs — out of the entire Air Canada Centre — less than a minute later when Nathan Horton restored Boston’s two-goal lead.

“Mistakes were huge in this game,’’ noted Gardiner, who made more than a few of them himself, most especially in the first frame and rescued by Reimer — despite experiencing some misadventures of his own on rebound after rebound allowed. “We made mistakes, they capitalized on them. When you score a goal, you want to keep rolling but the mistakes just killed us. We have to limit those for next time.’’

I believe it was Jvr and Bozak personal difficulties that affected the season the most.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/2013/05/07/jake_gardiner_stepping_up_his_game_for_maple_leafs_dimanno.html

CDX
Dec 3, 2004

Cheap, but not as cheap as your girlfriend.

Zamboni Jesus posted:

emelin for gardiner, prust for van riesmsdyk

It would be worth it to do it right now just to prevent either from playing during the playoffs.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ITT I try to find at least a couple positive things to say about every eliminated team. Group hug effortpost.

And someone please correct me anywhere I'm wrong, just how I see this.

Boston
Tuukka Rask is an underrated goalie and while he likely won't have a year like Carey Price did this year or anything, you can do a hell of a lot worse than him *looks at last 20 years of Flyers goaltending, weeps*. You'll likely get at least one more year out of Chara.

Florida
Goddamn y'all have serious potential to be spooky in a couple years. Yours is a team with a lot of great youth and getting another year with Jagr is fantastic. I honestly feel like Barkov is going to develop into something special over the next couple seasons. Huberdeau looks great as well.

Columbus
Almost nobody wants to play against your team when they're healthy because you're really hard to match up against. There isn't necessarily a pairing of mega-stars on your team but y'all can clearly run 4 lines without hesitation regardless of who the other team sends out. Over the last 3-4 years you're easily one of the most improved teams in the entire league. Sergei Bobrovsky is going to be able to hold the fort for a long time as well.

Philly
Everything's in flux right now but I think anyone who thinks we were better off under Holmgren than Hextall is either delusional or a liar. Thanks to some good drafting and an overall strategy of patience, there's a lot of potential in the system. Steve Mason was otherworldly and while he likely won't repeat this year's performance, I think we could be doing a lot worse in net. If we can get even an average defense built up that's going to be a huge overall improvement.

New Jersey
NJ seems to be struggling to find an identity as a team, but it's not as if there isn't talent available. Cory Schneider is gonna be great in goal for you for years. Lou seems to want to be the Jerry Jones of the NHL and if he could curb that attitude that it would sure as hell help matters.

Carolina
God drat are Eric and Jordan Staal fun to watch. Nathan Gerbe has the balls to go into the goalmouth and even try pushing people around and it's hilarious and great. Cam Ward is younger than I thought he was and he's not gonna be top-shelf talent but you can still get some good service out of him.

Toronto
Hey! You finally fired almost everyone! That's gotta be a good sign, right?

...right? :ohdear:

Joking aside, it's really clear Toronto's problems are in the front office more than on the ice. Kessel is a gloriously ugly man who can score gloriously pretty goals. JVR is strong like bull and should keep being good for 50+ points a year for quite a while. If you can get the front office issues fixed, this is going to be a very solid team.

Buffalo
Ted Nolan deserved better! :mad:

Buffalo isn't going to be a playoff team for probably at least a couple years but man there's some really good potential here. Evander Kane clearly needed a new setting and if they do well over this and next year's draft they can start to make some noise in the east. Kane + McDavid/Eichel would be a riot to watch.

Go weeeeeeeeeeeeest
{full disclosure, I don't know a lot about western teams, sorry!)

Los Angeles
Things are on the downswing after a 2-cup run, but it's not as if they're in a tailspin. Jonathan Quick is still a hell of a goaltender. Jeff Carter still has some good years left in him. Anze Kopitar is spectacular. Tweak the offense a bit and they should be fine in the long run. Also hey Sutter please stop yelling at your guys so much that they lock you out of the dressing room.

Dallas
Dallas strikes me as a team like Florida or the Isles. There's some great youth on this team and if they can get some improved goaltending they could get over the hump. Goddamn is Jamie Benn a hell of a player. Tyler Seguin is only going to get better as well.

Colorado
See Also: Dallas, Florida. Here's a bunch more of impressive youth that just seem a little rudderless right now. I don't know how Patrick Roy is going to work out for them long term but it shouldn't be too difficult to get a team with this much potential on the up and up. I mean holy poo poo your average age of forwards is like 23 or something and there are some potentially scary motherfuckers among them.

San Jose
God I love Brent Burns and his sasquatch hair. Tomas Hertl is The Truth and when he's healthy he's going to tear poo poo up. Your team deserves a better front office.

Edmonton
God bless you fans because yall are loving dedicated. Edmonton strikes me as a team with some good talent (at least up front) but no real direction overall. There are teams that would kill to have forwards like Hall, Eberly, Yak or RNH to build around (or with) but it doesn't seem like Edmonton knows what they want to build. Like SJ and NJ, it seems like the biggest problems are in the front office. Shame because even a modicum of good decision-making up there would improve this team ten-fold. It did seem like things started coming together a bit better under the new coach so here's hoping that continues.

And for the record, Yak's Theo Fleury celebration from a year or two ago is still one of the best I've seen in years.

Arizona
I gotta be honest here, I know next to nothing about Arizona. I'm happy they got at least some stability in terms of whether or not they're staying as a franchise. Ekman-Larsson is a really good defender and Hanzal is gonna be good when he's healthy.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
There's something everyone is forgetting about Florida, or I should say someone. Nick Bjugstad led the team in goals with 24 despite missing the last ten games of the season with an injury that required back surgery. He's going to be really good next year and will shove one of Kopecky and Thornton off the team. Now if Quinton Howden or Rocco Grimaldi can finally make the jump, or if we manage to win the draft lottery somehow, the Panthers will have a really good and (mostly) young Top 9.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I don't think anyone's still underrating Rask.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

I don't think anyone's still underrating Rask.

True, maybe I just didn't pay as much attention this year or something (entirely possible)

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

We don't really care about what that bug-eyed fat walrus has to say
it's funny how chiarelli and julien have gone from being regarded as amongst the best in the league to being a liability within the space of basically a season. amazing what missing the playoffs will do I guess. a lot of their problem seems to be that they are really convinced about some kind of "bruins way", which mostly emphasizes character bullshit and suggests that those running the team don't actually realize what made the team good to begin with.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Who thought Chiarelli was good?

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Yak City is close to signing a bridge deal with Edmonton according to Kypreos

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
My opinion on Chiarelli has kind of soured over the years. He made some good moves early on, but really since the Kessel trade he hasn't done anything to significantly improve the team. He's done a good job of signing the important players, but at the same time he's also signed useless guys for longer than necessary because it seems like he's trying to stick with the formula that won them the Cup. He also often gets credit for the moves Jeff Gorton made as interim GM, which definitely propped up his reputation a bit more than it should. Maybe they can get Gorton to come back.

Julien I'm more mixed about. He's a very good coach but I wonder if, like management, he's kind of stuck in the same mindset that they need to stick to the system and style of play that got them to two finals in three years, and the roster just isn't the same and frankly not quite as good as those teams were just by virtue of players leaving/getting older. I wouldn't mind if Julien stayed, but I would kind of like to see what a different coach could do with the team. I think it would be too reactionary to fire him right now.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
the sabres were very bad the last two years. here are some reasons why they will be very good in a short period of time

zemgus girgensons - he's young, he's fast, and he's shown himself capable of dragging his teammates up and down the ice to produce points. and he's a good two-way player on top of that. he's already good, and he's going to get even better.

tyler ennis - if you watched any number of buffalo games down the stretch, you saw that ennis was always buzzing around the puck and looking surprisingly dangerous on a really bad team. he's a very solid offensive forward who will become even more dangerous when he's not the only threat

rasmus ristolainen - everyone on the sabres has a terrible plus/minus. risto is a 20 yr old #1 defenseman who had his share of growing pains, but his game has made huge strides in his first full year in the nhl. his composure is incredible for someone his age

nikita zadorov - he's got ridiculous physical assets and has shown a lot of growth in a short period of time. like other young guys on the team, he found himself in nolan's doghouse at various points of the season for reasons of varying degrees of legitimacy. he's already a servicable nhl defender at 20 years old, but i think he turns into more than that in the next couple seasons

johan larsson - former minnesota wild property. he doesn't get talked about very much outside of buffalo, but he had a bit of a coming out party towards the tail end of the season after numerous trips back and forth between the nhl and ahl. underlying fancy stats for possession have always been good, but he's also started producing nhl points on top of that.

zach bogosian - the noted cokefiend looked good in his short time with the team this season. he's physical, can move the puck well, and can log a lot of minutes.

evander kane - i'm not sure what the deal was with him in winnipeg, but he's obviously got a lot of talent and plays with intensity. i think he returns to 30-goal form on one of buffalo's top two lines.

mark pysyk - another guy that doesn't get a lot of press outside of buffalo. he's an extremely smart defender who does a lot of things well. he hasn't gotten a ton of nhl time, but he's looked very good when he has been up. provided he's healthy (he fainted playing a game of basketball a short time ago and they shut him down for the season for precautionary reasons), he'll be a big addition to the blueline

sam reinhart - he'll play at least some of his time in the nhl next season. he had problems engaging physically in his first nine games with the sabres, but he spent the remainder of the year working on his strength. he already thinks the game at an nhl-level. once he adapts to the speed of the league, he'll be real good.

anders...lindback? - in 20 games with buffalo, lindback carried a .924 sv%. his performance exceeded everyone's expectations--so much so that goalie coach arturs irbe is the only member of nolan's coaching staff that didn't get canned. bad goalies turning out to be good was a common theme this season, so gently caress it, why not?

other names to keep an eye out for: jake mccabe, anthony florentino, hudson fasching

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I think you are being way too optimistic about how good they will be. Basically all of your predictions are "he's going to play up to the highest expectations projected of him". I don't think the Sabres are going to be the league whipping boy anymore, but I don't think they're going to be a "very good" team either.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I think you are being way too optimistic about how good they will be. Basically all of your predictions are "he's going to play up to the highest expectations projected of him". I don't think the Sabres are going to be the league whipping boy anymore, but I don't think they're going to be a "very good" team either.

they're not going to be "very good" next year, but i don't think it's out of line to expect players younger than 21 who have already had successful nhl stints to become even better, especially when the team signs and trades for established players to place around them. i'm not expecting every single one of their prospects to reach their max potential, but with the exception of reinhart (and yeah, probably lindback), every person on that list has already shown they are capable of being productive nhlers. i'm not exactly projecting hof careers for players that have never played an nhl game in their life here; i didn't even include mceichel

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
It feels like the opinions of coaches and GMs depend solely on what their record indicates. I seem to remember a time that Boudreau caught a lot of poo poo here before he was fired, and then magically became a great coach again in Anaheim.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

Aye Doc posted:

Yak City is close to signing a bridge deal with Edmonton according to Kypreos

two years, 2.5m per :krad:

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Ryane Clowe, according to he and Lamoriello, will probably never play hockey again. Looks like a Chris Pronger situation with the Devils getting out of his cap hit during the season is in order, which I figure Lou knew would happen.

Also, Salvador says he has to decide about playing another season, he might retire, and if he doesn't, I doubt Lou would want him back with the young defense away. I take it Andy Greene will be the next captain. Devils are gonna have like $25m in cap space.

To the guy who said Rask was underrated, you're aware he has been largely regarded as one of the very best in the game for a couple years and put up 2.04/.930/7 shutouts just last year right?

Harriet II
Feb 28, 2015

E L O I S E

The Toronto Star posted:

Over the side goes Dave Nonis.

He made them worse and then he made them retrofitted better — or let’s just say scraped off some of the barnacles attached to a floundering vessel.

The correctives weren’t enough to save Nonis as GM, sunk Sunday by hockey admiral Brendan Shanahan, who wasted no time clearing the decks of a spectacularly failed enterprise.

Before the players even begin to clean out lockers, Shanahan torched a general manager, an interim coach, three assistant coaches, a goaltending coach, a director of pro scouting, a director of player development and a bunch of scouts across the bird-dog realm.

Phil Kessel, Dion Phaneuf, Tyler Bozak, Joffrey Lupul, Jonathan Bernier, James van Riemsdyk, Jake Gardiner: A rogue’s gallery of offenders who’ve all dined out on Nonis’ contract generosity because he crunched the numbers even prior to succeeding mentor Brian Burke in the big boy chair.

Phaneuf’s lower lip got trembly the other night when he spoke haltingly about reality finally hitting him, on his way to the rink for Game No. 82 — last time this group would be together — tacitly acknowledging his tenure as a Leaf had also doubtless expired. Better he should have shown some of that emotion earlier in the season, demonstrated that it mattered and as captain he was the character lodestone, the alpha dog in the amorphous leadership core.

In Phaneuf, Nonis had perceived an anchor around which to build a contender, rewarding him with a seven-year contract extension on Dec. 31, 2013, worth $49 million, the locked-in C-man trotted out for a press conference just before the Winter Classic against Detroit.

Horachek, in his final press conference as Leaf coach, suggested that the team was headed for ruin as far back as November and everybody sensed it. But that was deep analytics talking, with a front office newly in thrall to fancy projections. Horachek claimed the players were resistant to change and that’s why they didn’t buy in to the system he tried imposing. “People don’t want to change. They want to keep it in the comfort levels of where they are.”

A debatable theory. The Leafs had an identity under Carlyle; they were a freewheeling offensive powerhouse. Under Horachek they were a blob and everybody stopped scoring. This wasn’t the personnel to reboot mid-season as defensively hard-nosed. If there’s any upside to the dismal outcome, it’s that all deficiencies have been exposed. The Leafs don’t even have decent goaltending to go on with, an area they believed to have sorted out a year ago.

I disagree with the last sentence here. Bernier's like a lizard and Reimer's a rose-tinted snowflake.

One lonely road win in 2015. Fewest of the season at 8, with Buffalo and Edmonton at 9.

Six Leafs wins in regulation in the final fifty games of the 2015 season.

I enjoyed the last game. Colton Orr was there, there was no military demonstration, and the first line scored again. Phaneuf was paired with Reilly over Brewer. The salute at the end was disharmonic. I missed #s 25 and 26.

Too bad you need some kind of subscription for stats like this.

Harriet II
Feb 28, 2015

E L O I S E

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

To the guy who said Rask was underrated, you're aware he has been largely regarded as one of the very best in the game for a couple years and put up 2.04/.930/7 shutouts just last year right?

Rask is: The Angry Goalie

http://google.ca/search?q=tukka+rask+angry+man

The only constant was at the end of the bench

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

Haha ya that's a ridiculous statement to make about the reigning Vezina winner. This year Rask faced the second most shots in the league, posted a 2.30/.922/3 shutouts (well above average, basically) and it was, statistically, his worst season as a starting goalie.

In other Bruins news. Paille and Campbell have been told that they won't be re-signed. :toot:

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Jamwad Hilder posted:

In other Bruins news. Paille and Campbell have been told that they won't be re-signed. :toot:

god is great :toot:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I guess I need a new avatar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Find a picture of Lucic eating a hamburger. Classic Lucic.

• Locked thread