Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Fateo McMurray posted:

Find a picture of Lucic eating a hamburger. Classic Lucic.

this but use the Lucic and Sloth picture

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Trigger Warning: Dreger

Scott Wheeler ‏@scottcwheeler 5m5 minutes ago
Dreger just said the deal for Phaneuf at the trade deadline was Pulkkinen (AHL star), Smith and Weiss, and the #Leafs said no.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Turns out Jamie Benn and Ales Hemsky were playing with hip injuries for most of the season because of course they were. :sigh:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Kyrosiris posted:

Turns out Jamie Benn and Ales Hemsky were playing with hip injuries for most of the season because of course they were. :sigh:

God drat the captain is nuts

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

JawKnee posted:

this but use the Lucic and Sloth picture

Do you see how often I post? I don't want to look at that thing all the time.

And then throw Sloth in the mix? Pass.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Shinjobi posted:

God drat the captain is nuts

I'm just annoyed by every damned pundit going on about "oh look how ~HOCKEY TUFF~ he is!" when this poo poo needs to be criticized, not praised. So frustrating. :(

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Yeah, I'm not too keen on losing players due to exacerbated injuries.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
hip surgery is nuts. not only might he not return the same player he was for years, but it would have taken him out for the entire season. on the other hand, he can basically play through a hip injury for as long as he drat well pleases. its not like he exploded his rotator cuff

im ok with players playing through injured hips and getting off-season surgery, but honestly they should have shut him down when dallas was hosed. that extra month is huge

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.

quote:

@DanCagen
Chiarelli: Lucic says he was "not in right frame of mind going into season" after Montreal series.

Never change, Milan.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Piquai Souban posted:

Never change, Milan.

LOL best quote ever

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Piquai Souban posted:

Never change, Milan.

I guess whatever Weise did broke him for a freakin' year. That's *outstanding* trolling.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

VJeff posted:

Trigger Warning: Dreger

Scott Wheeler ‏@scottcwheeler 5m5 minutes ago
Dreger just said the deal for Phaneuf at the trade deadline was Pulkkinen (AHL star), Smith and Weiss, and the #Leafs said no.

Funny that comes out immediately after Nonis is fired and not at any point in the last 6 weeks. Dreger is full of poo poo.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

Funny that comes out immediately after Nonis is fired and not at any point in the last 6 weeks. Dreger is full of poo poo.

he did a big bit on radio this morning that basically came down to "think of all these poor hard-working good coaches who got fired, how sad and terrible it is, good thing toronto can dump all of those cancerous players who cost my cou--dave nonis his job now, since they've clearly admitted the core is rotten"

even when his cousin is gone, he can't stop being his handpuppet. gotta politic for that next job, Davey

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
It's not just Dreger. On Hockeycentral @ Noon, someone (whoever was filling in for MacLean) was going on about how many good men lost their jobs today.

From what I've read, it appears that Hunter had a huge hand in firing all the scouts, just because he didn't like what he saw. I am willing to trust Hunter's opinion, mostly because the Leafs haven't had a good draft in a while, and Hunter comes with the great work he did with the London Knights. That team is constantly producing great players, and have also appeared in three straight Memorial Cups, so I assume he knows what to look for.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
I'll trust Hunter's opinion because those scouts have blown basically every pick outside of the top ten in the last five years (except Stuart Percy, I guess?) and their pro scouts don't have much of anything to show for it other than some pending UFA acquisitions and Matt Frattin, and to give them credit at least Brendan Leipsic looks like a hockey player. I mean drat:

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/teams/dr00008490.html
http://www.nhltradetracker.com/user/trade_list_by_team/Toronto_Maple_Leafs/1

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Pretty sure the Leafs had > 50% roster turnover during the tenure of Nonis and all those scouts. I can't even wrap my head around using the quality of the team as some sort of absolution for anyone in the head office, what do these people think GMs and scouts even do?

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

shots fired

John Boruk ✔ @JohnBorukCSN
Vinny Lecavalier confirms he can only be successful here in Philly if Craig Berube is no longer the coach. #FlyersTalk

Reverend Sub-Zero
Jan 11, 2008

Filladelfia Pliers

shyduck posted:

shots fired

John Boruk ✔ @JohnBorukCSN
Vinny Lecavalier confirms he can only be successful here in Philly if Craig Berube is no longer the coach. #FlyersTalk

:lol: Vinny thinks he can be successful.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
Haven't seen this posted, so

"Working the Corners posted:

Then there’s also the question of G.M. Doug Wilson’s future in the organization. It’s hard to read tea leaves when it comes to owner Hasso Plattner as he stays in the background as much as possible. But, according to Joe Thornton, the owner advised the former captain that he would retire as a Shark — and I have a hard time seeing Wilson and Thornton co-existing another two years. That can’t be healthy for the franchise and Plattner must realize that

Oh please oh please oh please

HOW COULD YOU
Jun 1, 2006

The man in black fled across Middle Tennessee, and Pierre followed.
I just refreshed this 83 times and then Boston won.

Take from that what you will, but it's basically a lock

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

HOW COULD YOU posted:

I got it first time. We're good.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

HOW COULD YOU posted:

I ran it, got Colorado the first time, and almost punched the monitor.

I know they have a 3.5% chance or whatever, but that might as well be a 30% chance. If any team is going to sneak Connor McDavid it is going to be Colorado - mark my words. We know they have ridiculously good luck when it comes to hockey.

HOW COULD YOU
Jun 1, 2006

The man in black fled across Middle Tennessee, and Pierre followed.
Anyone but the oilers. Unless the oilers finally do what we've all been dreaming of and field a team of entirely forwards, no goalie or defense.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

HOW COULD YOU posted:

Anyone but the oilers. Unless the oilers finally do what we've all been dreaming of and field a team of entirely forwards, no goalie or defense.

It's okay, they've been playing with goalies or defense for a while.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Zodijackylite posted:

I'll trust Hunter's opinion because those scouts have blown basically every pick outside of the top ten in the last five years (except Stuart Percy, I guess?) and their pro scouts don't have much of anything to show for it other than some pending UFA acquisitions and Matt Frattin, and to give them credit at least Brendan Leipsic looks like a hockey player. I mean drat:

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/teams/dr00008490.html
http://www.nhltradetracker.com/user/trade_list_by_team/Toronto_Maple_Leafs/1

Connor Brown is doing pretty well in the AHL. Who knows if it'll translate into anything at the NHL level, but he's looking like a more promising prospect, rather than an undersized forward who ripped up the OHL in his last year while playing on the same team as McDavid.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.

Reverend Sub-Zero posted:

:lol: Vinny thinks he can be successful.

He can be if everyone else has to wear cement blocks instead of skates.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Suspicious posted:

He can be if everyone else has to wear cement blocks instead of skates.

He's already on the Flyers.

sedative
Mar 20, 2003

‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ :allears:
Here are some things to make FAS angry from Frank Seravalli, one of the few good Flyers writers:

quote:

So, Berube compared Couturier and Bergeron and their usage. Couturier had 109 fewer Off ZS (EvS) than Bergeron and 9 fewer pts. 8 yrs younger

Berube: "Bergeron starts all those shifts in his own end. He seems to come out OK, right?"

Berube: "You're telling me Couturier starts in the defensive zone too much. Well, that's his job."

Everyone understands that is Couturier's job. It's just that you can't then in the next breath say he isn't scoring enough.

Honestly dumbfounded. "Let's compare our guy to 2-time Olympic gold medalist, 2-time Selke winner, Cup-winning scorer who is 8 yrs older."

I don't really have anything to add except "fire Craig Berube into the god drat sun"

one more from that dummy:

Dave Isaac @davegisaac · 22s
Berube on Couturier/Bergeron: "I’m not trying to compare the two. I put a scenario together about a player that’s a similar type of player."

HE DOESN'T EVEN UNDERSTAND WHAT WORDS MEAN

sedative fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Apr 13, 2015

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

sedative posted:

HE DOESN'T EVEN UNDERSTAND WHAT WORDS MEAN

...that irritates me and I'm not even part of FAS. Jesus christ.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

full rebuild is on in Toronto I guess

@draglikepull
On the radio McKenzie says the only way Kessel and/or Phaneuf aren't traded is if the Leafs don't get good offers.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

See, the thing is: Bobrovsky is a great goalie and all but he's injury prone.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Aye Doc posted:

full rebuild is on in Toronto I guess

@draglikepull
On the radio McKenzie says the only way Kessel and/or Phaneuf aren't traded is if the Leafs don't get good offers.

Gee, I imagine their value must be sky-high after the worst season for both in years under a broken coaching staff and their front office bagging them in the media all year. Selling high.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Koopa Kid posted:

Gee, I imagine their value must be sky-high after the worst season for both in years under a broken coaching staff and their front office bagging them in the media all year. Selling high.

it wouldn't be Toronto hockey if the right decision came along right on time instead of 12 months late

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
RDS is speculating Paul MacLean to get the Leafs job and somehow that seems perfect

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Woooo! Flyers offseason! Maybe cool things will happen.

gently caress the Penguins. gently caress the Rangers. Go Kimmo.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

evenworse username posted:

RDS is speculating Paul MacLean to get the Leafs job and somehow that seems perfect
McKenzie said something similar, including saying that they went after him after firing Carlyle.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

If they Sabres don't make the playoffs next year, they definitely will in 16-17. They might even win the cup???

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
Its 2 high picks, then one or two years of playoffs, then one or two Cups

See: Ducks, Penguins, Blackhawks, Kings

Mr. Kite fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Apr 14, 2015

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013

Habibi posted:

Haven't seen this posted, so

Oh please oh please oh please

Jumbo better retire as a Shark. Do not let Doug Wilson gently caress that up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

tofes posted:

Jumbo better retire as a Shark. Do not let Doug Wilson gently caress that up.

Jumbo will end up in Florida with the rest of the geezers

• Locked thread