Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
L3 - Corpse Cave

Four continues on, stealthily hugging the wall. He moves up the path, stopping as it branches out, but he can look inside. Where he sees no one. Well no one moving about at least.

Motionless humanoid figures dressed in dirty clothes or
scraps of armor are propped against the walls of this cave.
Some are little more than skeletons with wisps of hair and
skin stretched tightly over their bones. Others are fresher.
A few old shortswords lie on the dusty floor.

Could upload another map, but the only thing that changes is the right path, to the north, curves off a little and ends in that small cave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
Zeshoon Four (smooth criminal)

8 / 8 HP // 14 AC
It was a room full of corpses, but it was hard to tell whether this was a storeroom for raw materials, or a 'living' quarters for already-animated undead minions. It wasn't like he could observe them for a while to see if they were breathing, and more likely than not they would only react if someone other than their creator or authorized personnel entered the room in a more announcing fashion. Deciding to err on the side of caution, he backs up out of the room and follows the pathway on the left in order to get an idea of what is in there, before stirring up any trouble in this potential hornet's nest.
pre:
Backing out, heading left.

Faction: Harper Watcher (Rank 1) / Renown (0)
Wealth: Coins (11 gp) / Swinging Sword tab (3gp) / Pastries (1gp)
Quests: Lance Rock plague / Goblins in a cave (mushroom cheese buns)

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
L4 - Dancing Dead

Four backs up and heads the other way.

This narrow passage is about ten feet high in most places,
with rough, irregular walls. Protruding spurs on the walls
are coated in dried blood.

He keeps going and the passage eventually widens out.

The star-shaped cavern ahead has many clefts in its
walls. Only two, across the cavern, seem large enough
to traverse. Three zombies lurch about the area. One is
costumed like a bear, another is dressed as a lady in a frilly
dress and thick makeup, and the last is costumed as a
jester with jingling bells on its collar and sleeves

Again I will update the map eventually, but you don't really have a lot of need for it quite yet.

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug

8 / 8 HP // 14 AC
The half-elf tiptoes back out of this room as well, what with its creepy 'zombie in makeup and a pretty dress' motif, and returns to get the paladin. He comments, "Can you sneak in there with me and Quilian? I'd sort of like to to behead all three of them before they can respond to us."
pre:
Retrieving the stealthy paladin, setting up a surprise round for at least three of us.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Rx Suicide emailed me and all I got was this amazingly awesome forum account.

Tortured By Flan

[Quilian Nailos]
HP: 10/10 | AC: 16 | HD: d10(1) | Spells [none yet] | Arrows: 30

Quilian had stayed behind while Four investigated the rooms, staying as the go-between for him and the group should the half-elf need. He is surprised to find Four returns fully, Quilian stepping forth from a section of thick darkness to inquire what he had found, not entirely certain of what to think of such bizarre findings. However, sounds like he has in mind a concealed assault.

"Sereia and I can take the pressure no matter how successful our initial ambush is. You and Lars ought to have good opportunities to strike. The others should follow after our ambush is enacted, bringing the hammer down on a hopefully softened opposition."

If it's fair, I'd like to use my previous stealth roll since it had not really been utilized (didn't really move far). Quilian will get into melee with the closest target and will be the intended "tank" target during the Ambush phase.
Stealth: 1#1d20+5 22 (Re-used)
Passive Perception: 13

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

Sereia Arlingfeld
HP: 14 | AC: 15/17 | HD: 1/1d10 | Lay on Hands: 5/5

Sereia begins to loose the straps on her shield.
"Lars; would it be alright if I borrow that bow and your quiver? If we want to get them all by surprise, it's best if the 3 of hit from range."

P.d0t fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Apr 20, 2015

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Name: Lars Borikfikod Faction- Emerald Enclave: Rank 1 Renown 0
HP:4/11 AC::14 HD:1/1 (d10) Movement: 30' Arrows: 36[-3] Passive Perception:16

Lars quirks his head to the side at Sereia's question "I tend to aim for more delicate targets on a thing when I shoot, a lot more damaging then your average shot but my overall accuracy isn't too great when aiming for smaller targets like that a random sway of the body can throw the shot completely off" he gives a shrug "Doing it in the dark while listening to someone talk about the target's location would be a touch more difficult than I think I could do, y'can use my bow if you need something to shoot with though." Pulling 3 arrows from his quiver Lars offers them with one hand, his bow held out in the other.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Sereia Arlingfeld

She accepts the weapon and ammo with a gentle smile, then skulks off to make the ambush.

Stealth: 16

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
L4 - Dancing Dead

Quilian, Four and Sereia move up and ready for an attack. But Quilian's attacks are up close and personal, so he moves forward. And it is clear that they have seen him, for there is nowhere to hide when their eyes rake his position during their dance. Yet they do not stop. They do not turn and attack. They keep dancing. Their dancing taking them back and forth, to and fro, closer and farther.

Quilian lowers his weapons in confusion, and the others, believing no combat will erupt after all, turn back to get the other, clumsier or blind, members of their party. As they do so the dancing zombies' dance brings them even closer to Quilian, at which point they suddenly leap at him and attack.

They pounce, and one connects, for 4 damage. not exactly all that threatening.

Creature      AC   Init. Mod. Initiative   HP  

Four             14     +3            23            08/08 :rolldice:
Darys           17     +1           18            13/13 :rolldice:
Quilian        16     +3            17            10/10 :rolldice:
Khidash      15     +5            14            10/10 :rolldice:
Ursa            12     +1            10            09/09 :rolldice:
Sereia         17     +3            08            14/14 :rolldice:
Zombie       08      -2            07            xx/xx
Lars              14    +3            04            04/11  

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan

[Quilian Nailos]
HP: 6/10 | AC: 16 | HD: d10(1) | Spells [none yet] | Arrows: 30

Quilian had watched as the group danced, careful to notice their movements. They were still enemies, they could turn to strike.. Yet it sure didn't seem like it. Here they were, just dancing without a care. Or rather, without a command to do anything else.

He had looked back over his shoulder only a moment, hoping his group would return quickly and overwhelm the zombies. He turns back to the dancing group just in time to see them sway very, very close. Did they plan this? A tactic, commanded of zombies? Is even such a thing possible? His ignorance almost costs him, as the zombies break from their dance and assault the wood-elf. Instinct takes over, no time to draw on his longer blades, his hands drawing upon a dagger from his back on his belt. One zombie is parried, it's arm cut. A second has its attacks countered with an elbow and kick. But the third lands a fist into his chest, pushing him back a step. That's gonna bruise up later.

"This party is.. Getting crazy!" This statement both a call for aid to his group, and a shout of excitement for the oncoming conflict.

Attacking + Bonus Attack (offhand): 2#1d20+5 17 / 18
Damage: 1#1d8+3 9 1#1d8 / 6 - 15 damage to closest zombie
Mechanically, Quilian is using two longswords for this round. For those unaware, I like to fluff my combat utilizing different methods of fighting - sometimes describing a longsword attack as a punch or kick, things of that nature. This can cause confusion as different weapons have different in-game statistics, making it hard to tell if appropriate weapon rolls are being used due to the fluff (in this example, a punch or kick is only 1+str mod, far less than a longsword proper). When the RP gets muddled in this way, I clearly state the mechanical actions that are happening and am bound by their in-game rules, while separating the largely ignorable fluff as my own dive into creativity. This ought to clear confusion for those not familiar with the practice!

Three zombies, a slight injury to the chest and the group is still some distance from returning. Not favorable odds. He curses the weakness that hit him earlier, even at his best this situation would not be pretty. The elf isn't given much time to breath as the zombies continue to attack, more wild throws and kicks coming his way. They are met with blocks and counters, the knife in hand providing him an edge that draws out their dried blood. One zombie gets eager and comes in close to strike, and Quilian is quick to counter it. A heavy slash across it's chin spins the creature around. Grasping at its exposed back, Quilian clings onto it and plunges his dagger into its chest. There is no beating heart to still in this creature, but the move is not to kill, but to gain leverage. With one arm wrapped around the undead's neck, the other forcing the creature's movements with the impaled dagger, the elf tries to drag and manipulate the flailing creature between himself and the other two zombies. It takes great effort on his part, the shot to his chest adding to his body's protest, but any hindrance in their assault - even if momentary - may be life saving. Anything to keep him on his feet until help arrives.

Athletics vs zombies (explained in post): 1#1d20+5 14
DM permission for skill check granted: After having dealt damage, Quilian is attempting to utilizing a zombie as a shield. This will be the same zombie he inflicted damage on this turn (15), which may have a factor in this roll being successful. Expected mechanical effect, if successful: Either a shield-like boost to defense (+1 AC, as I already have +1 for two-weapon fighting this round) or Disadvantage to the next incoming attack against me (it seems fair to make it just one attack, be it a hit or miss, since disadvantage is a powerful penalty).

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug

8 / 8 HP // 14 AC
pre:
Or we can throw away a surprise round on a thing that
literally can't hurt us from range.  That's good too.
The rogue obviously wasn't particularly impressed with the situation. Why would the wood elf offer a free shot to a group of creatures literally unable to harm them if they kept their distance? Blood was a currency that he was wasting, and he didn't seem to have much of it. With a roll of his eyes, he shoots an arrow viciously through the throat of the creature the wood elf is grappling, so that it can't maul him to death as he embraces it. He ends up nearly tearing its head clean off.
pre:
Action:  Attack (from stealth)
   Hit - 13
   Damage - 15
   Arrow - Broken
They had already given up the element of surprise, but he knew well enough how zombies functioned: it wasn't just the closest foe they would go after, but the most dominant prey in their mind. He just needed to draw their attention. Emerging from the shadows, he empties his lungs with a deafening "Woo!", followed by some of the slickest moves anyone in the group has ever seen, impressive enough to turn the heads of even the mindless dead. "Quilian, are you okay? Are you okay, Quilian?" His words were rhythmic -- hypnotic, even. He maintains a safe distance from the creatures, somehow managing to move backwards from the enemy while appearing to walk forwards.
pre:
Interact:
  Performance (dance) 25
  Performance (sing) 22
  Attempting to draw the attention of the zombies with overpowering style.
Move:  Maintain a distance of 40'.
Whether or not the living dead could appreciate it, between the arrow that literally severed the grappled zombie's head from its body in a single shot, his perfectly synchronized movements, and his pitch-perfect voice, in the heat of this battle, Four was on fire.

Waador fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Apr 20, 2015

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Darys Stoneback
[HP: 13/13] [AC: 17]
Hit Dice: 0/1 spent (D10)
Movement: 25ft
Full Equipment List and Funds
Backstory

Darys hears Quilian's call for assistance and chuckles. "Damned elves always getting into trouble." He had heard Four's description of the costumed zombies but it hadn't prepared him for the sight of it. Whats more was the dancing his fellow adventurers were doing. Quilian looked to have buried a dagger in one zombies back and was trying to use it as a shield. The shield zombie had an arrow right through it's neck. Four was making a hell of a racket and moving like nothing the dwarf had ever seen before. He was dancing like a barefoot halfling on a stovetop!

"What is it with you elves and dancin' like no one is watchin' yeh'?"

Darys moves to attack the closet zombie that isn't currently dancing the with Quilian's dagger. I wouldn't want to cut in on a dance like that and miss!

Performing Zombies - Main Hand Attack: 1d20+5 22 HIT 1d8+3 5 DMG

Performing Zombies - Bonus: Offhand Attack: 1d20+5 18 HIT 1d8+3 5 DMG Both hits but below average damage

Trast fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Apr 20, 2015

Monk E
May 19, 2009
Ursa Manuel

HP9/9, AC12, hit dice1/1, Spell Slots 1:2/2

Ursa stood entranced by Four's impressive but oddly timed impromptu dance session until the sound of rotting flesh being rended by Darys's weapons reminded her there were still corpses to be disposed of "Alright lets see if I can make this thing come out the right direction this time."

firebolt on the zombie Darys hit 10 for attack 6 for damage

Dr. Doji Suave
Dec 31, 2004

Khidash Lodi
HP: 10 | AC: 15 | HD: 1/1 (1d8)
Cantrips (3) | Light, Spare the Dying, Resistance
Lvl 1 (2) | Cure Wounds (LD), Bless (LD), Healing Word, Shield of Faith, Purify Food and Drink, Sanctuary

Following the same tactics from last time, Khidash hurried forward and tossed the coin out to provide light to the group as they fought. As he closed the gap he focused on the zombie that Darys and Ursa were dealing with, giving it a quick slap of his mace as he closed.

Mace to Zombie!: 1d20+3 17
A Terrific Blow!: 1d6+1 4

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
L4 - Dancing Dead

Quilian rips into one zombie, then keeps a blade in it for manipulating the still moving body to place it between himself and the others, then Four goes and shoots it in the eye. It collapses, barely held up by Quilian's blade. Darys and Khidash move in on the next nearest zombie, while Ursa tries to burn it down. The bashes, smashes and blazes batter it about, but are not enough to take it down.

Four             14     +3            23            08/08
Darys           17     +1           18            13/13
Quilian        16     +3            17            10/10
Khidash      15     +5            14            10/10
Ursa            12     +1            10            09/09
Sereia         17     +3            08            14/14 :rolldice:
Zombie       08      -2            07            xx-16/xx
Lars             14    +3            04            04/11  

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Sereia Arlingfeld

Sereia moves up, near Four, and fires an arrow at the much-wounded Zombie.
She then draws her dagger with her offhand, preparing for the next assault.

Longbow: attack = 8 :downs: damage = 9
Holding the bow out for Lars to grab on his turn, if he so chooses.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
L4 - Dancing Dead

Sereia fires a wild arrow at the heavily injured zombie nearby, and actually manages to connect and drop it. Despite the shot nearly missing entirely. The last zombie lurches at Quilian who tries to maneuver and shove the headless corpse into its way, but it lurches so well that all his dancing around isn't enough to avoid a heavy bashing by a wildly flailing arm.

Wow even with disadvantage that thing still easily hits Quilian. 5 damage, putting Quilian at 1 hp.

Four             14     +3            23            08/08
Darys           17     +1           18            13/13
Quilian        16     +3            17            01/10
Khidash      15     +5            14            10/10
Ursa            12     +1            10            09/09
Sereia         17     +3            08            14/14
Lars             14    +3            04            04/11 :rolldice: 

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

HP:4/11 AC::14 HD:1/1 (d10) Movement: 30' Arrows: 38[-1 from Sereia firing] Passive Perception:16

Lars' manic grin widens a touch as Khidash's light floods the room and he can see the incredibly silly looking zombies, his attention is quickly pulled back to the situation at hand as he sees Sereia move off towards Four to make a shot that does the job. Lars quickly moves off after the woman his hand out as he approaches and smoothly takes it up an arrow already in his off hand and slapped neatly onto bowstring.

Drawing a bead on the undamaged zombie Lars draws his arrow to ear and stares intently at the zombie, his arms twitch ever so slightly this way and that as he quickly figures out the most damaging spot to fire on as he begins to release his eyes begin to water the shift from dark tunnel to brightly lit cave throwing him off, sending his arrow slightly off target, it soars close to the zombie's neck only just grazing necrotic flesh but ultimately doing nothing.

6 for a miss 15 damage lost :cry: drat you Orokos yadda yadda you're the worst.

Successful Businessmanga fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Apr 21, 2015

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug

8 / 8 HP // 14 AC
He comments, "This is why you don't engage an inferior opponent in meritorious combat, by the way. Let alone a mindless one who can't even appreciate your honorable act." Despite his disdain for the choice, he is there to support his elven comrade in an instant, slamming an arrow into its torso. Were it a living and breathing human, the creature would have been gut-shot: destined for a prolonged and agonizing death. As it was, the creature was merely lightly staggered by the impact of the projectie.
pre:
Action:  Attack (shortbow)
   Hit:  17 (forgot I had a bow drawn)
   Damage:  5
   Arrow:  Recoverable (even-numbered shot)

Waador fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Apr 21, 2015

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

Darys Stoneback
Backstory

"How about you try dancin' with me you stinkin' bag of worms!" Darys yells out as he rushes to Quilian's aid.

Main Attack Roll - Last Zombie: 1d20+5 11 HIT 1d8+3 4 DMG :mad:

Bonus: Off hand attack roll - Last Zombie: 1d20+5 17 HIT 1d8+3 11 DMG :redhammer:

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan

[Quilian Nailos]
HP: 1/10 | AC: 16 | HD: d10(1) | Spells [none yet] | Arrows: 30

"Neither does one not normally infiltrate quietly into a room with no cover nor effective darkness to utilize. Nor to find the enemy to be the local undead's theater actors. I will not retell this event at the taverns if you agree the same!" - He heaves the body of his new re-dead opponent into the approaching zombie. Much to his surprise, the creature evades and lands another blow that further agitates his wound.

That one hurt. A lot, compounding with the one from before, Quilian is not looking well. In a desperate move to separate himself from his foe, he slashes and kicks the zombie away with a falling drop kick.

Attacking + Bonus Attack (offhand): 2#1d20+5 9 10
Damage: 1#1d8+3 4 1#1d8 8 = 12 total
Using two weapon fighting Longswords for the mechanic.

His attack is successful, setting the creature up to be crashed into by his allies - the elf struggles back to his feet in case, by some strange turn of events, they fail to bring it down.

Lothire fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Apr 21, 2015

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
L4 - Dancing Dead

The final zombie finally falls. Leaving Quilian panting, battered and bruised, but standing victorious.

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug

8 / 8 HP // 14 AC
The half-elf sighs. "All right, well, maybe now is a good time to approach this a little differently. First, why don't you guys patch up your wounds? Second, maybe deal with the corpse supply in the room to the north?" He points to the area he had investigated earlier. "No idea if they are raw materials or animated spares. One way to find out, though." He shrugs, "As for myself, I have some investigation to do." He retrieves his arrows, returns his daggers to his hands, and heads off. He gives Sereia a wink before he does so, though, obviously hoping she would tag along.
pre:
Stealth 10 or 18 if someone comes with me to Help.
Heading up and to the west.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan

[Quilian Nailos]

Everyone ends the creature and Quilian earns his respite. His knife is caked in the thick blood of the reanimated bodies, but his armor's chain has been lightly deformed by unearthly strong blows - the elven flesh underneath already heavily bruising. His weapon is wiped off the best it can be before placed back in his waist.

Four takes off, hurried as is his way. It does not bother the elf. "I can continue. Uncomfortable-" He grunts, ".. Very, but I can remain walking with the group and relay what Four finds. Natural healing would take an hours time, and by now, the self proclaimed lord of this place will be thinking something is up."

He doesn't want to admit it, but that strike of weakness robbed him of his connection with nature. It will return, but will take some time before it does. Until then, he cannot quite capture the healing embrace he has so often relied on.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Sereia Arlingfeld

Pulling Quilian aside, she speaks quietly to him in elven, "Minua puistattaa ajatella, mitä voisi tapahtua, jos olisit koskaan seikkailee yksin .. I shudder to think what might happen if you were ever adventuring alone.. :( "

Her tone suggests there is more she wants to say, but the sentences just won't piece themselves together.

"Khidash can you help Quilian?"

Sereia will follow along with Four, drawing her shortsword for some TWF shenanigans.

...and apparently we're Help'ing each other Stealth: 23 or 21

P.d0t fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Apr 21, 2015

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan

[Quilian Nailos]

The wood elf looks insulted. Does she think him weak? "I said, I can continue. I do not need.." There was something odd about her choice of elven words. She could have said them in so many ways, but she did so in the way that expresses concern. Maybe even pity. Quilian thought it may have been her questioning his abilities, but on reflection, it may have been something less critical. More caring.

He bites his tongue, looking at her with eyes eager to fling themselves into danger. His pride was not wounded in the fight - he will take damage. But he survived, his foes did not. It was a good fight. Getting hurt was simply something he innately ignores, reinforced by ranger training. Yet she is clearly not having it.. And he relents in his desire to remain ahead of the party.

She moves forward in his place, and Quilian is left feeling.. Unfulfilled. And injured, but mostly frustrated. If he was just a little better..

Quilian is no longer part of the scouting force. He will walk within' the group. If he ever has the opportunity to stealth, he will take it, but it may be more complicated while being with everyone rather than being up ahead. I leave it to you to handle rolling stealth for him whenever you deem it appropriate.

Lothire fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Apr 21, 2015

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
L4 - Dancing Dead

This tunnel leads to a small cavern with two closed iron chests resting on the floor.

Map not updated yet, basically just a long path going to the west leading to small cave.

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug

8 / 8 HP // 14 AC
The half-elf frowns. Where on earth was the person in need of investigating?
pre:
Circling back and taking the other tunnel, I guess.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Sereia Arlingfeld

Sereia glances around the room that Four has found; the chests are obvious, possibly there to get the attention of anyone making it past the zombies.
She wants to see if anything else is apparent on the walls.. the sounds of air moving to other parts of the cavern or water dripping in the distance might tell of some connected room or passageway.

ACTIVE Perception: 1d20+2 = 14
Slightly better than passive! :v:

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
L4 - Dancing Dead

As Sereia investigates, finding nothing, obvious, and Four turns to leave a voice screeches. “You dare to pit yourselves against the Lord of Lance Rock? Death is your reward!”

And then a click and a rockfall crashes down, filling the room and some of the tunnel leading in. But Sereia and Four are elf quick and leap out of the way of the majority of the rocks. A few errant stones clip them here and there, but for the most part they are clear. They can still hear a bit of cackling fading as the figure retreats.

Yeah guy was waiting for at least 2 people, then triggers a trap. Rocks fall, but JesusFour saves, same with Sereia. Because they save they only take 4 damage each.

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug

4 / 8 HP // 14 AC
The frown of the half-elf deepens. Rolling out of the way of the majority of the danger with his supreme elf reflexes, he shrugs, and responds to the ominous voice, "I was just curious to see if there was anyone alive in here. Thanks for confirming that." He offers a laughing retort, "Turns out you're a piece of poo poo. Good to know." Spinning on his heel, he returns down the passageway to the rest of the group, and offers, "All right, so, situation confirmed. We're facing a sentient being, presumably our necromancer. He's laid traps about the area and likely has a few more animated servants laying around."

He leans back on his heels, resting against the wall, "Unfortunately for him, I'm not in a mood for playing fair." He looks to Quilian, and the dwarf, and the others, "Can you all help me push that flat boulder into this tunnel, mostly blocking it from the room with the ledge on it? Afterwards we're going to go collect a bunch of shrubbery from the cave entrance, start a fire, and fan the smoke into his cavern to suffocate him." He shrugs, "We can clean up the animated dead once he kicks it, and take a rest while we wait for him to die."

Dr. Doji Suave
Dec 31, 2004

Khidash Lodi
Lvl 1 (2 1) | Cure Wounds (LD), Bless (LD), Healing Word, Shield of Faith, Purify Food and Drink, Sanctuary

When the melee ended as the zombie fell to the combined might of their weapons, he once again wiped his mace clean and placed it back on his side as he picked his coin up and held it, allowing the light to fill the room unhindered. The words from Sereia gave him concern as he approached the injured Quilian and reached out with a calloused hand, placing it against his bloodied chest, watching as the others went into the room ahead.

"The Light of Lathander will bring you salvation, and fill your wounds with righteous might. Accept His embrace and benefit from his conscience flowing through your body."

From his palm the healing power of Lathander shined bright for a brief second, restoring him to a better state.

Bringing the Light of Lathander to Quil: 1d8+6 14

As soon as he completed the healing, words of encouragement for the victim were about to flow when the sound of the voice and the crashing of rocks snapped his attention. Immediately his head snapped as he watched the dust roll out of the chamber as his two compatriots retreated from the rolling debris. The screech caused Khidash to pull his mace and bring his shield up as he stood there, braced for a possible impact that never came. Once it was clear the debris was halted, he sighed and looked to the rest as the jester spoke of fires and boulders.

"If that is the party wish then we can try to smoke him out. I have learned though to never trust those who can animate the dead to die easily. Besides, he might have another way out, depending on where he is."

The fact they had been sneaking so far was sitting uneasy with the cleric, now the idea of 'smoking him out' was on the table? It was a wise idea, but this was a being with magical capabilities, in a cave they were unfamiliar with. Letting this filth escape would sit hard on his conscience.

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug

4 / 8 HP // 14 AC
The cleric was right about the risk of their quarry getting away, but he was equally concerned with the risk of the enemy ending their lives with a snap of his fingers. He adds some color to his recommendation, commenting, "It's a bit of a tough situation. As far as I understand it, maintaining control over a large number of undead creatures is draining on a necromancer's spirit, but it is hard to tell how experienced he is in his trade." He had some suspicions on that, but he couldn't confirm them, although he does share them with the group, "For my own part, I don't think it makes sense for a highly experienced necromancer of any stripes to take up residence in as uncomfortable a place as a cave in the middle of nowhere. This feels to me like a young upstart who only just recently developed the ability to animate the dead, and who has squirreled away in the safest place he can find to build his initial army. That puts his level of experience in a relatively predictable range."

Doing a bit of mental math, he adds, "So far, we've seen six zombies. I would suggest we clear that room to our west, just in case there are any additional animated foes within. If there are, it will provide us with some additional information on how powerful our opponent is, as well as an opportunity to weaken him further. The upside to a necromancer is that they're significantly less dangerous once you chew through all their pets."

quote:

For my own part, I'm betting our enemy is a spellcaster in the range of 5th to 6th level. There's no other reason to park yourself in a cave if you've got more levels than that, and this kind of feels like Baby's First Zombie Army by a guy who just got the ability.

The highest number of spell slots per day he could get is by being a wizard, using Arcane Recovery to boost his slots by one. That works out to an expected 12 or 16 zombies (or skeletons) that he can maintain with all of his animation slots per day, depending on level. If we can chew through all of them, he would theoretically have no level three spell slots with which to defend himself, which is a decent improvement for the odds in our favor. A sorcerer could theoretically have more spell slots per day, but they don't have access to animate dead so I am sort of assuming that isn't the case. It's either cleric or wizard or a very strange bard.

This of course assumes the opponent actually uses the mechanics of the game, which is perhaps a naive assumption. However, from an in-character perspective animate dead works in a specific way so I have no reason to believe it doesn't work that way. And if he's developed a ritual-cast version of animate dead that is insanely valuable so it'd be great to get access to that knowledge anyway.

Waador fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Apr 21, 2015

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Darys Stoneback
Backstory

Four had returned from the next chamber to report that he'd made contact with the so called "Lord of Lance Rock" and had had many more rocks dropped on his head. The fleet footed rogue seemed rather cross about having a ceiling dropped on his head and wanted to smoke the necromancer out of the cave. Khidash brought up the possibility of their enemy having another route of escape if they attempted Four's plan.

"Khidash is right about one thing, Four. We don't know how far back this cave goes or where it ends up. Seein' as how none of you surface types are feelin' light headed from lack of air my gut tells me this cave has a lot of ventilation. That means if we try to smoke this bastard out we might end up needin' so much smoke that we'd need to bring half a forest down here. Chances are if there is a way to escape he'll use it before we can get enough smoke goin'. And then there is the chance that someone who plays with corpses is going to know a trick or two that will keep'em going even if there ain't air to breath. But the biggest 'if' in your plan is if there are townfolk still alive and waitin' to be turned into these zombies down there. Any damned fool willin' to defile the dead is gonna' be cruel enough to keep some of his victims alive just to torment. I ain't willin' to risk smokin' some poor soul out while the bastard we are after shimmies out some vent and goes off to raid another graveyard."

Darys takes a look around the room at the other adventurers. "So no I can't go with yer' plan. Unless you all have a brighter idea I think we're just going to have to put this bastard down the old fashion way. It ain't the safest way but it is the surest way to put and end to it."

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug

4 / 8 HP // 14 AC
He nods to the dwarf, "That's fair. I'm not particularly attached to the idea that we suffocate him, I suppose. I don't believe there's much risk of any living people being his captives down here, as there is nobody screaming for help. Plus, it seems like most of his raw materials are thoroughly rotted, so he likely dug them up. I suppose there's no guarantee that is the case, though." He frowns, "Still, attacking someone trained in magic head-on is a good way to get turned into corpses ourselves. I guess we actually have the benefit of three of us being able to resist an enchantment intended to put us to sleep, which would be the most likely tactic after a handful of zombies soften us up, but there are other strategies that might be at play here."

He thinks about the risks for a moment or two, before commenting, "Assuming the majority of his energy is tied up keeping his undead minions animated and receptive to his commands, we can likely expect him to have an enchantment to put us to sleep prepared, if he is a wizard. Although, if he is a cleric of a god of death, a deadly touch would be the more likely defense. He will likely also have some sort of method to attack from afar, whether it is rays of fire, a living ball of fire, or an ethereal blade." He shrugs, "Or perhaps he intends to trap us in webs while a handful of undead tear us apart."

None of the prospects were particularly appealing.

Dr. Doji Suave
Dec 31, 2004

Khidash Lodi
Lvl 1 (2 1) | Cure Wounds (LD), Bless (LD), Healing Word, Shield of Faith, Purify Food and Drink, Sanctuary

While Four spoke of the possibilities of death, Khidash reached down to his waist and pulled forth the strip of soiled cloth that had been used for the cleaning of his mace after every encounter so far. Folding it neatly in his hands, he held it out to the half-elf with an open palm.

"Dry your eyes friend, I agree that going toe to toe with the dark arts is a dangerous task, but I agree with Darys that we should handle this with our own hands. Right now we are committed, and considering what we seen back in Red Larch I am pretty sure that they would be unable to handle anything that arose from our failures here today."

Darys's backing gave Khidash a renewed hope in the situation, and was happy to have someone vocal enough to stand by his side on this matter. The thought of charging a mage was never an easy task but given the circumstances, he seen no other course of action.

"We could camp tonight outside and keep a tight watch, allow us to reevaluate and see if we notice anything else? Maybe camp up on the hill and use our absence to see if anyone comes and goes from a distance?"

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug

4 / 8 HP // 14 AC
He admits, "It might be wise to take a short reprieve in order to give me some time to scout around the area to see if there's a back entrance - or an escape tunnel - that our opponent could utilize. If he's expecting us to attack from the front, a reasonable advantage could be gained by finding his back door." He does add, "We can't delay too long, though. Our one advantage at the moment is that we've crippled his strength by destroying a fair number of his undead servants, which have drained his magic to sustain for the day. If we spend the night preparing ourselves, he'll have time to gather his strength, and either create more living dead, or frankly just ready a fireball to disintegrate all of us in a single blow." He shrugs, "If we intend to deal with the problem, it needs to be dealt with before the end of the night."

He sighs, "Although, to be honest, I think we actually need to press forward immediately. If he is a wizard, and not a cleric, in ten minutes time it will be literally impossible to harm him." He pauses, adding, "Well, assuming he's a competent wizard."

His father had told him that any competent wizard learned to create a dome of force to protect himself from danger the moment he became skilled enough to do so. It would have literally blown Four's mind if a wizard capable of animating the dead didn't also have Leomund's evocation of force available to enable him to hide inside a dome at a choke point in his lair, with a dozen skeleton archers at his side in order to murder anyone who challenged him. It was possible this wizard wasn't actually good at being a wizard, or perhaps he was a cleric, which would have been preferable, but he had no way of knowing. Given his upbringing, Four was used to dealing with explicitly deadly wizards, and he was well aware of what a joke it would be for such an individual to murder all of his comrades at no risk whatsoever.

Waador fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Apr 21, 2015

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

HP:4/11 AC::14 HD:1/1 (d10) Movement: 30' Arrows: 38 Passive Perception:16

Lars pulls the makeshift mask he'd rigged up the scent of pepper filling his nose again as the group stands next to a bunch of smashed up corpses chatting. "A bit of time to patch myself up without cutting into magical reserves of the group would be nice in case someone should get knocked over but I'm itchin' to get this over with" pointing to the bodies on the floor he continues "If we are gonna head outside and take a breather we really oughta drag this trash outside and clear out that corpse room Four poked into and burn them all, no point in leaving stock for the necromancer to use while we patch ourselves up."

Glancing off in the direction of the tunnel Four and Sereia didn't take he shrugs "Personally I wanna get this done here and now. Like Four says giving a caster time to prepare just isn't sound tactics, they weren't expecting us to be here so we have the advantage of surprise to a degree" Lars rubs his shoulder where the zombie bit him "Plus I owe the bastard a few good stabs in kind for his guard dog's actions."

My official vote is go kill a bad guy.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Sereia Arlingfeld

"It seems like we can either investigate a room with 2 chests that is otherwise empty and we've already sprung the trap on, or investigate a room full of corpses that might wake and attack us at any time."

Leaning towards the former; the room is not COMPLETELY filled with rocks, is it, Ryuujin?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug

4 / 8 HP // 14 AC
He looks to the fire elemental, "Can't you just incinerate all the corpses in the western room from the tunnel leading in, from like, fifty feet away from them, in case they're animated?"

• Locked thread