Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

:siren: It's that time of year to seriously consider turning off avatars and signatures :siren:

Previously on Game of Chairs

Episode 5.01 of Game of Thrones airs on HBO on April 12, 9pm EDT.

This is normally the part where I say "NO SPOILERS AND NO BOOK TALK!" but this is the season where we get to start spoiling the book readers. :laugh:

Also in a semi-surprising turn of events, the first four episodes of the season appear to have leaked. Obviously they're all :filez: so don't bother asking for them here. But more importantly, I want to remind everyone of this rule from the TV IV Standards and Practices:

OldSenileGuy posted:

SPOILER RULES: Are you talking about something that's already aired in an episode on the East Coast? Then you don't need spoiler tags. Are you talking about something that you only saw in a preview, or a commercial, or or due to a leaked ANYTHING? Then you need spoiler tags. Casting information is not a spoiler. Unless it obviously IS a spoiler, like a recurring character that was presumed dead or something coming back. Honestly, just use common sense. Netflix shows "air" all at once, so once they go up, there's no need for spoiler tags in that show's thread. You should still use them in other threads that might mention the show for at least a month. poo poo like this falls under the "common sense" clause.

So spoiler tags on any talk of what you illegally watched for the next couple of weeks, please.

With all that in mind, there is also a spoiler thread for all your book talking needs, so please keep all such chat over there. The show is really starting to march to the beat of its own drummer, though.

If you're absolutely dying to know, any questions about the books can be sent by PM to
Toast Museum
Revenant Threshold
Ballz
Carlton Banks Teller
Max
The Kawaiiest
Hedrigall

We know our stuff.

Previously on Game of Thrones:

We learned whether or not Tywin Lannister can really poo poo gold.

Glossary

• Andals – The primary people of Westeros
  • The Blackwater – A large river flowing from the Westerlands until it meets the sea at King's Landing
  • The Brotherhood Without Banners – A troupe of bandits harrying Lannister forces in the Riverlands
  • Children of the Forest – An extinct supernatural race that previously inhabited the North.
  • The Citadel – The headquarters and school for the Maesters.
  • City Watch – The organisation responsible for keeping the peace in King's Landing
  • Crannogmen – The isolationist people that live in the swamps of the Neck.
  • Dorne – The lands governed by House Martell, traditionally isolationist from the rest of the Seven Kingdoms
  • The Dothraki – A tribe of warriors renowned for their skill at horse-riding
  • The Drowned God – The primary God worshipped by the Ironmen
  • Essos – The eastern continent across the Narrow Sea
  • The Faceless Men – A league of assassins from Braavos
  • The First Men – The humans that settled the North.
  • Ironmen – The inhabitants of the Iron Islands, famed for their ships and pillaging tendencies
  • The Kingsguard – An order of seven knights who dedicate their lives in service of protecting the King
  • The Maesters – An organisation of learned men, identified by the chains around their neck
  • The Night's Watch – The organisation responsible for guarding the Wall
  • The Old Gods – The nameless Gods worshipped by the northmen
  • R'hollor – The Lord of Light, a deity primarily worshipped in the Free Cities of Essos
  • The Red Priests – The collection of monks that worship R'hllor
  • Sept – A temple of the Seven
  • The Seven – The most popular faith in Westeros, the seven Gods are: the Father, the Mother, the Smith, the Maiden, the Warrior, the Crone and the Stranger
  • Slaver's Bay – A trio of cities in Essos known for being the prime players in the slave trade
  • Small Council – The body of advisors to the King that aids him in running the realm
  • The Unsullied – A legion of slave soldiers that have been castrated and trained to ensure absolute obedience
  • Valar Morghulis – Traditional greeting in High Valyrian, literally means "All Men Must Die"
  • Valyria – The original homeland of the Targaryen dynasty
  • Weirwood – A white tree with blood red leaves, a place of worship to the Old Gods
  • The White Book - aka The Book of Brothers. A ponderous tome filled with the 300-year history of every member of the Kingsguard
  • Wights – Raised corpses controlled by the White Walkers, impervious to all harm save fire
  • Wildfire – A dangerous liquid that catches alight when exposed to air
  • The White Walkers – Mysterious creatures who live north of the Wall, highly dangerous
  • Wildlings – The unorganised savages who live north of the Wall

Maps of Westeros and Essos (click to embiggen)

(that last map by theMountainGoat and Tear, modified by EccoRaven)

Useful Resources

HBO viewer's guide:
http://viewers-guide.hbo.com/

TV IV Spoiler Thread:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3671702

A (spoiler free!) Song of Ice and Fire book thread:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3305853

A (spoiler filled!) Song of Ice and Fire book thread (aka The Bad Thread):
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3305853

Westeros Forums (wiki contains spoilers!!!):
http://asoiaf.westeros.org/

Show-only wiki (still fills in lots of blanks using the books):
http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/

History and Lore of Westeros: Season 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSuXBVv4ppY

History and Lore of Westeros: Season 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b93mfEI2Kb0

History and Lore of Westeros: Season 3 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=es3VVgFq9nQ

History and Lore of Westeros: Season 4 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bw5NAxMpTIE

The Rains of Castamere (The National) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozVcbIc5yWI
The Rains of Castamere (Sigur Rós) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3QW8PVyyNM

The Bear and the Maiden Fair (The Hold Steady) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3b7fZIT0nk
The Bear and the Maiden Fair (:kimchi: version) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARfQtFKQtZo

Mountain vs. The Red Viper comic. And yes, someone else is making an official comic adaptation of the books. No, you really, really don't want to see it.

Thread History (h/t In It For the Tank)

Season 1: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9 - 10 - Hiatus - Spoiler - Ned Head Redemption - Early Episode 7 Thread
Season 2: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9 - 10 - Hiatus - Spoiler - Shadow Baby
Season 3: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9 - 10 - Hiatus - Spoiler - Dracarys - The Red Wedding
Season 4: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9 - 10 - Hiatus - Spoiler - The Purple Wedding - White Walkerpalooza - IN LIKE THIS
Season 5: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9 - 10 - Hiatus - Spoiler

Ballz fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Apr 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

oh yeaaaaa

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Oh man, can't wait for Oberyn to return from the dead and kill every last Lannister as Ser Viperheart.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Game of Thrones Season 5: It Gets Better

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

Deakul posted:

Oh man, can't wait for Oberyn to return from the dead and kill every last Lannister as Ser Viperheart.

Viper and Hound: undead bros 4 life

Uhhlive
Jun 18, 2004

I'm not the public.
I'm the President

Deakul posted:

Probably in season 8

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Shouldn't this say season 5 episode 1 or are you doing one thread for the whole season? The threads usually need to get euthanized well within a week; not sure the latter option is a good idea.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I've been rewatching the previous seasons ahead of the new season and I sure forgot a lot, like the Tywin/Arya bromance. It's also been fun to go back to hating Jaime again and slowly find myself liking him more as the seasons progress while trying to remember he threw a child out a window without a second thought.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
This season is going to be amazing! Looking forward to:
1. Dany finally making it to Westeros
2. Stannis and the Watch defeating the Others
3. Tommen having sex with Margaery
4. Tyrion finally finding peace now that he's dealt with his daddy issues
5. Brienne locating and spiriting Sansa to safety

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
This season really snuck up on me. I totally forgot the new episode was today (tomorrow in Aus — or maybe not, RIP piracy :australia:)!

It's really exciting that for the first time, I have no loving clue where we'll be and who will be alive or dead by episode 10. The show becoming its own beast is the best thing that could have happened.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Can't wait for all the sick thread melt-downs!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's going to take a lot of effort to not think of Tyrion as Dinklebot.

Seriously though I hope they dial back on the Theon subplot this season because the torture stuff's still real creepy. Though I think the Boltons are pretty entertaining to watch outside of that.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Apr 12, 2015

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
I hope Lena Headey gets naked this season.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Mortabis posted:

Shouldn't this say season 5 episode 1 or are you doing one thread for the whole season? The threads usually need to get euthanized well within a week; not sure the latter option is a good idea.

Let's see where this takes us. I was inspired after seeing Better Call Saul survived an entire season with a single thread. Sure, conversation would devolve into talk about Mrs. Kettleman's breasts about five days after any episode aired, but then the thread would always right itself with each new airdate.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

ded posted:

I hope Lena Headey gets naked this season.

This but Margaery.

And Dany.

And Dany's handmaiden.

And Sansa.

Might as well just have everybody get naked.

(except Brienne)

Tyree
Sep 11, 2003

STRETCH

STRETCH

STRETCH

Ballz posted:

:siren: It's that time of year to seriously consider turning off avatars and signatures :siren:

Even more so this year. It appears all the screener episodes, 1-4, have leaked.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
spoilers:

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I wonder if we'll see Rickon this season.

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

A whole world of imagination beyond the oompah band.
Oh boy, how much progress is Dany not going to make this season?? so excited

I am genuinely stoked though. This is the first season I'll be watching where someone hasn't spoiled a major death for me. I expect this streak to be ruined within five or six days, but I'm enjoying it while it lasts.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
I'm stoked, I marathoned seasons 1-4 while I was on a business trip in September and I've been so excited to see them live.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Tyree posted:

...Goddamnit.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Irish Joe posted:

(except Brienne)

What about Bronn?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Jerusalem posted:

What about Bronn?

I mean sure, if that's what floats your boat.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.
We're ready at my house. Bring on the bloodshed.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Tyree posted:

:laffo: Yep, they sure did!

That's impressive. 4 out before the premiere of the 1st.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Ballz posted:

...Goddamnit.

rip

e: 40% of the season released before ep. 1 :eyepop:

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

I added it to the OP but just a reminder about TV IV rules on leaked episode discussions:

OldSenileGuy posted:

SPOILER RULES: Are you talking about something that's already aired in an episode on the East Coast? Then you don't need spoiler tags. Are you talking about something that you only saw in a preview, or a commercial, or or due to a leaked ANYTHING? Then you need spoiler tags. Casting information is not a spoiler. Unless it obviously IS a spoiler, like a recurring character that was presumed dead or something coming back. Honestly, just use common sense. Netflix shows "air" all at once, so once they go up, there's no need for spoiler tags in that show's thread. You should still use them in other threads that might mention the show for at least a month. poo poo like this falls under the "common sense" clause.

So keep your piracy talk behind spoilers, please.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Everyone should just watch them if they don't want to get spoiled.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I'm still baffled as to how this poo poo happens. How do networks spend tons of money on a show and not protect them from leaking? Is it a regional thing?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

pentyne posted:

I'm still baffled as to how this poo poo happens. How do networks spend tons of money on a show and not protect them from leaking? Is it a regional thing?

They release episodes early as screeners for promos and whatnot. They can do stuff to find out who leaked something but if someone's willing then they will be leaked.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Are these watermarked? I haven't seen them.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Honestly surprised this hasn't happened before. I remember one season (season 2 I think) had episode 2 briefly go live on a European on-demand service, but I don't recall any screeners ever popping up ahead of time.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Are these watermarked? I haven't seen them.

Look at the image above at the bottom left. Barely noticeable.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Ballz posted:

Honestly surprised this hasn't happened before. I remember one season (season 2 I think) had episode 2 briefly go live on a European on-demand service, but I don't recall any screeners ever popping up ahead of time.

I'm pretty sure there were 4 episodes leaked early last year, did I make that up?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

kloa posted:

Look at the image above at the bottom left. Barely noticeable.
Oh whoops, somehow I missed that :haw:

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I'm pretty sure there were 4 episodes leaked early last year, did I make that up?

Nope. No way could I have resisted the urge to not watch Joffrey's demise early.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Ballz posted:

Nope. No way could I have resisted the urge to not watch Joffrey's demise early.

I googled, I think it was season 2. My memory is bad.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

Jerusalem posted:

I've been rewatching the previous seasons ahead of the new season and I sure forgot a lot, like the Tywin/Arya bromance. It's also been fun to go back to hating Jaime again and slowly find myself liking him more as the seasons progress while trying to remember he threw a child out a window without a second thought.

Arya and Tywin was one of the high points of the show so far, absolutely perfect. A lot of this show rides on the fact that there are 50 characters and occasionally a few of them are put in a situation together. That was one of the best, Brienne and Pod is probably next.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Some reddit nerds are stating 6 eps are in possession now to be released.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Someone at HBO is losing their mind right now. I bet every person involved in GoT is awake and on the phone right now.

• Locked thread