Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

CapnAndy posted:

They worship the same god and I'm entirely willing to overlook the fact that Melisandre seemed really, really shocked that Thoros could do that and it seemed like she couldn't.

Because Jon is not staying dead goddammit.
Well I gotta wonder, did Mellisandre really stop believing her own poo poo? Or did she have her own plans all along? Cuz why else would she abandon Stannis like that? I think she may have gone up to the wall with a purpose, because I'm not sure why else she'd even peace out up to the wall of all places.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Can I turn avatars back on now?

96 spacejam
Dec 4, 2009

The real question is who will the High Sparrow pick as their champion against MountainZombie when Cersie invokes trial by combat. The High Sparrow seems savvy enough to somehow leverage Jamie in all of this when he returns to Kings Landing. Maybe he has to fight for his freedom and the Sparrow selects him as his champion. The look on Cersie's face when Jamie steps into the arena would be priceless.

PS- Stannis is still alive I'm not sure why anyone would think otherwise. They've never shied away from killing pivotal characters on screen. I mean 10 minutes before a tween stabs out a man's eyes and slits his throat. Then Snow.

shizen
Dec 29, 2006

Willie Tomg posted:

Not just that, but you can see the bits of the army in eyeshot of stannis set themselves while the dudes in back just run immediately back into the woods to get and the ones in the middle visibly dither as they sort out what to do. 100% of the story of the battle is communicated in pure visuals in a five-second panorama. In a miserable, awful episode of this garbage show where there is now no compelling reason to keep watching except to see undead folks murder the assholes who've stayed alive, how they handled that battle was a tremendous highlight.

I don't really get this stance, I'm interested to see what happens in most of the story lines or I wouldn't be watching the show. All the characters in this show seem believable in that they do a lot of stupid poo poo that ends badly for them.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
Just a quiet reminder that Davos has lost everyone and everything he held dear

Sucks to be a cool good dude

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
:words:

Jon Snow's death didn't really surprise or frustrate me, even if he does turn into resurrected Fire Jesus. I thought his death was being telegraphed in a pretty heavy handed way over the last few episodes. It makes sense, too, since he was a lot like Eddard and therefore likely to suffer death at the hands of those who didn't understand or appreciate his righteous decisions. It really solidifies how stupid and irrelevant the Night's Watch has become. They're so obsessed with their meaningless (although admittedly long and bitter) war with the wildlings that they've killed one of the only dudes who understands what war they're supposed to be fighting. Overall I'm not too disappointed in Snow's character arc if he stays dead, because it served as a nice vehicle for the Night's Watch and the White Walkers.

That also plays into Melisandre suddenly becoming a more interesting character to me. I think whatever her plan is now is more interesting than her plan with Stannis, which I thought seemed sort of doomed this season. I've always been frustrated by Melisandre because she's a one-note character speaking in riddles and doing things with very little explanation. Now she has some doubt and/or fear, which I think makes her more interesting. I had been rooting for her death for a while, but now I'm actually pretty glad she's alive because Magic poo poo is becoming more and more important, and she's one of the few characters we've seen do Magic poo poo.

I hope Stannis is dead. I hadn't considered it a real possibility that he was alive until I read this thread. I know characters don't always get what they "deserve" in GoT, but I thought it was pretty clear that Stannis was reaping what he'd sewn at that last battle. Like Jon Snow, I think Stannis' character arc was pretty good. He sold himself to the devil and got pretty far because of it, but when he was incapable of accepting anything other than his own definition of success, he got got. Green Fire Boat Battle was a cool plot point, as was Stannis Horse Saves Night's Watch. And Stannis' plot gave us Davos who everyone loves (and therefore will probably be absent from season 6 until the finale, when he dies from eating a poisoned onion).

If Stannis and Jon both end up alive at some point, the weight of this season finale is lessened considerably. That's when things start getting into :lost: territory and everything is meaningless because anything can happen.

As a side note, I thought Brienne had the most hilarious overall plot of the season: "Watches a window. Kills a dude?"

I thought Daenerys, Tyrion, and Jorrah all collectively had a pretty poo poo season. Seeing Valyria was awesome, though. That really drives home the idea that the world in GoT is ancient, and really hosed up things have happened and wiped people out in the past, so it's probably going to happen again. Another highlight was Dany and Tyrion having a couple chats, although shortlived. Tyrion's storyline this season was absurd: "Heading to Daenerys with Varys. Heading to Daenerys with Jorrah. Meeting Daenerys with Jorrah. Now Varys is here." The Tyrion/Varys homecoming was heartwarming though and I'm excited that Tyrion ended up where he did, I just wish it hadn't taken an entire season. Daenerys riding a drat dragon was pretty great, too.

Jaime and Bronn in Dorne and the Sand Snakes are the worst thing that has ever been on Game of Thrones.

I enjoyed Arya's plot because, as I mentioned with Melisandre, any plot that involves Actual Magic poo poo seems pretty important. I wish we'd gotten some more specifics, though. I get that Arya is being punished with blindness but it's hard to feel the tangible effects there since we don't know whether she'll still be training with the faceless, if this is part of the training, if it's permanent, etc. When the other girl told Jaqen that Arya wasn't ready, Jaqen didn't say, "Well, we can always blind her so it's ok." He said some poo poo about death.

I thought the Faith Militant plot was a chore to get through and I'm disappointed that they weren't wiped out by the end of the season. I like the idea of the High Sparrow trying to destroy the nobility in King's Landing by empowering the people. Not because I feel sympathy for the common people of Kings Landing/Westeros, but because it could result in a fun amount of chaos in King's Landing. I worry, though, that the real purpose of the Faith Militant in this season was to give Cersei something to do while FrankenMountain was being created. I find FrankenMountain really, really, really silly. I don't know what else to say about it.

Bummed that we didn't get more about Margaery in this episode.

Bummed that we didn't get anything about Bran. Incredible.

Overall this was my least favorite season. I think it's the least gracefully they've been able to juggle all the plots at once, and subsequently the story felt more clumsy than it ever has. Hard home was the poo poo.

Seaniqua fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jun 15, 2015

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Fast Luck posted:

Also not sure what was up with Drogon the dragon dropping Dany into the middle of a Dothraki horde.
That's his nest, he flew Dany there and when she immediately wanted to fly back he was all "no Mom, I'm tired now, nap time" (I thought it was hilarious how he was even draping his wing over her all GO TO SLEEP, LOOK, IT'S NAP TIME SEE). Dany didn't want to nap, so she took a walk to see where she was, and then the Dothraki blundered onto her because they're nomadic and just happened to be going there at the time.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

hiddenmovement posted:

He just freed himself up to go work for Dany or someone else who is cooler.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

One thing to remember is that the tone of the show is shifting now that winter is moving in gear. It's less war of the roses and more high fantasy, so if you like the former more than the latter (like me) you're not going to enjoy it as much (I don't). Also innumerate characters are now dead making the whole shebang less complex and interesting. I'm still going to watch it out though, despite its flaws (the crap early season, the obvious Jon Snow resurrection) it remains one of the better shows on tv. Good shows have gone far worse than this has (I'm looking at you, Weeds).

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!

C-Euro posted:

Yes. There's really nothing left to spoil. The books and the show are at roughly the same cliffhangers.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

hiddenmovement posted:

He has more children and a wife and a home somewhere.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

C-Euro posted:

You can do better than that. You can enter The Bad Thread.

Vittek
Nov 8, 2006
Hmm I actually thought when Reek and Sansa jumped, he would do the "I go first so you land on my dead body and survive" spiel. Also if they bodycount per episode stays like this, we be out of actors come episode 2 next season.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Super Ninja Fish posted:

That doesnt sound like fun

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
R'hllor is very clearly a satanic figure, btw.

--Both are named in ways associated with the light of day
--Manifests in the world either through shadowy murderous minions, or bringing back the dead to do his bidding, all through the use of con artists, manipulation (oftentimes sexual/lustful) and hucksters as mortal representatives
--Compels human sacrifice
--Is capricious as gently caress, and so far has just Maximized Death which is no mean feat in context

shizen posted:

All the characters in this show seem believable in that they do a lot of stupid poo poo that ends badly for them.

Girls does this too, and in half the time.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
What's the point of this show?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Fast Luck posted:

Well I gotta wonder, did Mellisandre really stop believing her own poo poo? Or did she have her own plans all along? Cuz why else would she abandon Stannis like that? I think she may have gone up to the wall with a purpose, because I'm not sure why else she'd even peace out up to the wall of all places.

She didn't stop believing her own poo poo. She just realized that she interpreted incorrectly and that it caused... quite a lot of damage. She still believes in the Lord of Light, she just misidentified whom she was supposed to back.

96 spacejam
Dec 4, 2009

Wouldn't leaving Mycella alive make more sense for the Dorne story line to have legs next season. If her husband sits on the small council or is somehow allowed on the Throne because everyone knows Tommen is the result of incest that would unite Kings Landing and Dorne and allow god tier tits to come to Westros for the inevitable winter battle. Obviously this theory falls apart if it's known that Mycella is the product of incest as well, but I'm not sure that's the case? Either way I think Bron saw this coming and somehow swooped an antidote. Why else would they go through the trouble of poisoning him and introducing antidote in the jail scene?

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

TyrantWD posted:

Jon Snow being resurrected as Jon Baratheon is going to be a lovely move...

Ummm...

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

Gee whiz it was so nice to have Jon's story spoiled for me, what is it about this show that makes everyone just feels the need to spoil ever single thing on every forum even ones that have nothing to do with game of thrones? am I supposed to just go sit in a closet for an entire season every year? poo poo's loving ridiculous. literally have had every major oh poo poo moment spoiled except for Joffrey dying.

Take comfort in the fact that they only spoiled the beginning of a story for you.

They will have the end of it spoiled for them, even if the leadups to the major plot points differ slightly. They got the raw end of this deal. :)

Jesto fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jun 15, 2015

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Willie Tomg posted:

R'hllor is very clearly a satanic figure, btw.

--Both are named in ways associated with the light of day
--Manifests in the world either through shadowy murderous minions, or bringing back the dead to do his bidding, all through the use of con artists, manipulation (oftentimes sexual/lustful) and hucksters as mortal representatives
--Compels human sacrifice
--Is capricious as gently caress, and so far has just Maximized Death which is no mean feat in context
He's Ahura Mazda if you want the real-world religion GRRM is obviously riffing off of, but yes, "R'hllor is a Bad God" is a pretty valid statement at this point.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
Jon Snow is really dead. Kit Harrington will play the part of Jon Targraryen for the remaining seasons.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The current speculation both show and book wise is that he's not really Ned's son and is (was) one of the last true heirs to the throne. It's a reach but it won't be a complete rear end pull if they go that route.

But he's dead so he's now going to be a kickass white walker.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

YANSEE posted:

Wouldn't leaving Mycella alive make more sense for the Dorne story line to have legs next season. If her husband sits on the small council or is somehow allowed on the Throne because everyone knows Tommen is the result of incest that would unite Kings Landing and Dorne and allow god tier tits to come to Westros for the inevitable winter battle. Obviously this theory falls apart if it's known that Mycella is the product of incest as well, but I'm not sure that's the case? Either way I think Bron saw this coming and somehow swooped an antidote. Why else would they go through the trouble of poisoning him and introducing antidote in the jail scene?
The point of that jail scene was to introduce the poison, its symptoms, and the antidote that all the Sand Snakes carry. Myrcella's death is going to (hopefully) give the Dorne storyline legs next season because there's basically no way King's Landing doesn't go to war with Dorne over this, and they have Trystane as a hostage.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Maybe Jon Show gets revived and looks totally different, which is why they won't need Kit Harrington anymore. That'd be one way to reconcile it.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

YANSEE posted:

I think they did the Bron stuff just to lay the groundwork for the Myrcella killing, not to foreshadow her being saved.

That said, Elyria Sand or w/e is a moron. It ought to be super obvious to Bron (and everyone) she killed this random innocent girl which was a stupid thing for her to do in the first place especially with her nephew (basically) stuck on the ship with the Lannisters.

Funny though people are talking about all three of Stannis/Jon/Myrcella not being actually dead. The Hound isn't dead either btw.

CapnAndy posted:

The point of that jail scene was to introduce the poison, its symptoms, and the antidote that all the Sand Snakes carry. Myrcella's death is going to (hopefully) give the Dorne storyline legs next season because there's basically no way King's Landing doesn't go to war with Dorne over this, and they have Trystane as a hostage.
See what I don't quite buy is why would they go to war with Dorne when they know Prince Oberyn's brother was being cool and good and it's just this insane lady who did this? prince martell, btw, already promised to kill her if she did something like this

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jun 15, 2015

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Eh, I might read the book someday out of curiosity.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
It's going to be really cool how the highlight of next season is Varys and Tyrion reenacting the season 2 king's landing arc except instead of lena headey providing an impeccably acted intimate and urgent and hugely complex antagonist against the ticking timebomb of an incoming sieging army which is spectacularly fought off, they instead bump and grind with notiraq's harpy insurgency to kill a few months while plot happens elsewhere.

KyloWinter posted:

Danaerys gets dragons to fight the zombies and crowns herself queen of the ashes, with a lot of dumb stuff between now and then.

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jun 15, 2015

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

th3t00t posted:

Jon Snow is really dead. Kit Harrington will play the part of Jon Targraryen for the remaining seasons.

Yeah I'm thinking this is some technical dodge like they're going to recast the role or he's going to be a cgi dragon or something.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The current speculation both show and book wise is that he's not really Ned's son and is (was) one of the last true heirs to the throne. It's a reach but it won't be a complete rear end pull if they go that route.

But he's dead so he's now going to be a kickass white walker.

I know; but current speculation means you got the last name wrong.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Fast Luck posted:

See what I don't quite buy is why would they go to war with Dorne when they know Prince Oberyn's brother was being cool and good and it's just this insane lady who did this? prince martell, btw, already promised to kill her if she did something like this
Does Cersei Lannister really strike you as the sort of person who's going to draw that distinction? Also, were any Lannister-alligned characters present to see Doran telling her to shut that dumb poo poo down or he'd kill her, or are they just gonna assume any assassinations would have to happen with his consent?

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

zoux posted:

Yeah I'm thinking this is some technical dodge like they're going to recast the role or he's going to be a cgi dragon or something.

I think they open next season with Bran, and Bran see's the past through the eyes of the trees and discovers the truth of Jon's parentage and that Lyanna and Rhaegar married as well so Jon isn't even a bastard. Then the next scene they cut over to Mel casting rez on Jon.

Edit: the "previously on" will be Ned saying the next time we meet I'll tell you about your mother and then every scene that Lyanna was mentioned in the show.

th3t00t fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jun 15, 2015

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

CapnAndy posted:

Does Cersei Lannister really strike you as the sort of person who's going to draw that distinction? Also, were any Lannister-alligned characters present to see Doran telling her to shut that dumb poo poo down or he'd kill her, or are they just gonna assume any assassinations would have to happen with his consent?

I'd have to go back and watch the "apologize & kiss the ring" scene, but was Doran implicit that she not do anything to the Lannisters...or that she not do anything to the Lannisters without his consent? 'Cause that's a big difference.

Not that Cersai (or even Jaime) would care.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

CapnAndy posted:

Well yeah Cersei won't really be fair about it of course, point taken. But Prince Doran seemed like he'd be willing to put all the Sand Snakes in a box and ship them right to her. He didn't want any of their poo poo. Plus Cersei has her work cut out for her in terms of avenging herself against the Sparrow peeps.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Unless of course Cersei's immediately like "Ser Gregor, crush Trystane's head."

Not really hoping this happens. Ellaria turned out to be a jerk and I hope she doesn't get what she wants.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

whatsabattle posted:

So if/when Tommen dies, who takes the throne?

Also I love how everyone just calls him Dr. Bashir, because who gives a gently caress about Dorne when the Dominion is--wait what

Myrcella would. She's not dead yet! (Cersei is supposed to watch her die, damnit!). After that, it would go to some Baratheon cousin, but by the time that Cersei has watched all 3 of her kids die, she'll be too crazy to give a gently caress and will be ruling by virtue of being the only one in Kings Landing who isn't dead.

Or Margaery will be pregnant, but honestly I can't imagine the Tyrells not loving clearing the gently caress out if they survive this.

Santheb posted:

^^edit: agreed. gently caress Olly. He was cool as nodding potato kid, but that ship sailed long ago.

If only Renly had won. He would've had to placate the Starks, but at least Ned and his wife and kids wouldn't have had to pay the ultimate price.

Well, Ned would have, Renly wasn't even really trying until well after Ned tried.

It was hilarious that Brienne gave out his title when talking to Stannis, and called him the rightful king, when that is explicitly untrue (and always was)

Vehementi posted:

Melisandre - why did she leave? Did she suddenly become a military strategist and realize that it would be totally impossible for Stannis to win, and that the soldiers deserting was a sign from the lord of light that she was wrong all along and she needed to now go see her vision boy Snow? It seems weird that she wouldn't just think "yeah whatever, lord of light just stopped winter for us - he's obviously on our side and we will somehow win anyway". Why suddenly lose faith?

She's cunning, she probably realized that Stannis no longer had the numbers to win, and no further prepackaged bundles of power to gain more. Hell, she cleared out the field the Boltons used to field their cavalry and annihilate them. Everyone knew that poo poo was over.

Nail Rat posted:

The people are not going to respect her anymore, Jamie isn't there and will be a shellshocked mess when he does show up, Tywin is dead, Tyrion is gone, Varys is gone, and Petyr Baelish is now in the Riverlands running Harrenhal. Margaery is still locked up, and Tommen is useless. You're seeing the end of the Lannister reign in King's Landing. Maybe she'll be able to kill the High Sparrow, but if she tries, the people will probably tear her apart.

Littlefinger is far too clever to try to run Harrenhal. He as running the Vale, and is theoretically currently on his way to liberate Winterfell. But since the Boltons probably took only minor casualties, and Littlefinger is not a fighter, he might join up with Roose

Groovelord Neato posted:

They made him look really dumb compared to the book though.

Having a a giant beastly man who's been cut up and stitched back together look like a perfect gleaming man is so much dumber than having him look like an awkward mess

cheese posted:

What makes you think she even has the power to do that? Kevin had been in Kings Landing for days (weeks?) and didn't go to see her. Her son the king didn't free her and doesn't seem to listen to her anymore, Kevin wants her to return to Casterly Rock and get hitched. She has no power anymore and for all we know, the High Sparrow has been talking to Kevin about the whole situation. Cersi clearly thinks shes going to paint the place red with the Sparrows blood but she doesn't command the Lannister soldiers or the Kings Guard.

She actually does command the Lannister soldiers, and Meryn Trant just died on a trip he took on her orders. Cersei is Lady of Casterly Rock, and she is in charge. But she will probably kill Kevan, because he is gonna bother her

Gesadt posted:

did i miss something, cause i thought only Thoros dude had the power to resurect

She probably hasn't ever tried, she's really more about moving people in the other direction.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

KyloWinter posted:

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

davidspackage posted:

Unless of course Cersei's immediately like "Ser Gregor, crush Trystane's head."
You think he'll even last the voyage? Lets hope he's as silver tongued as he thinks, because he's got some loving 'splainin to do...

Ellaria must have a plan for Doran. Blatantly killing Myrcella while his heir is hostage (for all intents) is not going to go down terribly well with him.

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS
So did Jon Snow forget to mention to everyone that 95% of the wildlings got wiped out, snow zombies are coming, and that he singlehandedly destroyed one of their leaders with his sword? Seems like that might have swayed them away from "boo hoo you helped 5000 wildlings, I'm still mad". But I guess they had to force that plot event through to keep with the books.

Nail Rat posted:

The people are not going to respect her anymore, Jamie isn't there and will be a shellshocked mess when he does show up, Tywin is dead, Tyrion is gone, Varys is gone, and Petyr Baelish is now in the Riverlands running Harrenhal. Margaery is still locked up, and Tommen is useless. You're seeing the end of the Lannister reign in King's Landing. Maybe she'll be able to kill the High Sparrow, but if she tries, the people will probably tear her apart.

cheese posted:

What makes you think she even has the power to do that? Kevin had been in Kings Landing for days (weeks?) and didn't go to see her. Her son the king didn't free her and doesn't seem to listen to her anymore, Kevin wants her to return to Casterly Rock and get hitched. She has no power anymore and for all we know, the High Sparrow has been talking to Kevin about the whole situation. Cersi clearly thinks shes going to paint the place red with the Sparrows blood but she doesn't command the Lannister soldiers or the Kings Guard.

The faith militant were probably not letting visitors come. Her son the king does listen to her - she was just actively convincing him to do nothing because she wanted Margyrie to stay locked up. I maintain it is utterly unbelievable that he didn't raise an army to get his wife & mom back when she was taken right after the "I would burn cities to the ground for you". She had a kingsguard welcoming party with most of the named characters waiting. When she changes her tune I can't see the king not listening to her and getting the necessary soldiers to wipe out the faith militant "to avenge our family's honour and rescue your hot wife". Tommen's still the king - just demoralized & manipulated.

edit: vvvv :lol:

Vehementi fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jun 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO

KyloWinter posted:

to get you to root for the White Walkers, so that when the humans ultimately win, that too will seem like a disappointment

• Locked thread