Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013
~*blessed by the algorithm*~
Share your tips for getting a job so that your fellow unemployed goons can finally move out of their mother's basement.

TIP # 1: Get drunk and apply to every job on craigslist that interests you. Being drunk lowers your inhibitions and allows you to apply for jobs that you might not normally apply for. Does the job require a 4 year degree? gently caress it, I graduated high school that's good enough. Does the job require a specialized skill (e.g. welding, plumbing, carpentry, computers)? gently caress it, my dad was a welder, my grandpa was a plumber, and I once installed gentoo on my grandma's PC. Soon enough the phone calls will start rolling in. You'll have a job in no time, trust me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

print out op and show it at the interview "at least i'm not this guy"

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
cradle the balls

Abdul Alhazred
Mar 15, 2007
Whoever is interviewing them, suck them off. If they try to fight you, SUCK HARDER.

if you don't get a job with this 1 weird trick, then you forgot to work the shaft.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

be related to, or banging a relation of, the boss

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

I'm seeing this from an AoS perspective.

white primer uber alles
1. Spend 4 years in university to get a degree
2. Graduate and spend 2 years looking for a job that you are qualified for

Abdul Alhazred
Mar 15, 2007
Seriously, I can't overstress the importance of mouthfuls of cock on the job hunt. That's how I got every one of my employees.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
pound the pavement
"id like to speak to the manager"
firm handshake

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
huff a lot of paint

smash your head into concrete

oh wait this is tips forgetting a job right?

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord
1. Join the military right out of high school
2. Leave the military after 4 years
3. Move directly into $145k a year job in Denver
4. Have full ride scholarship in reserve *just in case*

Dec 26, 2012

have marketable skills

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013
~*blessed by the algorithm*~
I'd like to add that when you get a job interview don't show up in jeans and a led zeppelin T-shirt. Get your mom to buy you some slacks, a nice pair of dress shoes, and a button up shirt. Tie is optional. Also, get a haircut and shave your neckbeard.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

be born one or two generations earlier

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

katlington posted:

be born one or two generations earlier

this is only if you want to have one job for your entire life and actually live the American dream*

*work 35 years at one place, never get laid off, company has an actual pension plan for family**

**this never happens past Reagan

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

gnarlyhotep posted:

this is only if you want to have one job for your entire life and actually live the American dream*

*work 35 years at one place, never get laid off, company has an actual pension plan for family**

**this never happens past Reagan

because Reagan hosed America and I will hate him with my dying breath

i hate everything
Oct 15, 2010
Take a length of steel pipe. About 4-5 feet.
Dig a hole in the ground. About 1 or two cubic feet.
Fill the hole with concrete and place the pipe into the whole vertically. Let the Crete settlle. Pull your new weapon from the ground and go to work.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Just turn up with youthful energy, brash confidence, and a well-stocked toolbox at any firm's front door.

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006
A rather unfortunate logger indeed.
know important people and have them like you and then tell them "hey i need a job"

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Do not put "is a moderator of a popular internet website" on your CV or linkedin profile

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Be white

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006

THIS

really cant emphasize this enough, be white as all gently caress

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006
if you are not white and somehow manage to use deception to get a job interview, make sure that as you enter the room you immediately announce to the interviewer that you are half white. it will put them at ease and you may be able to squeak by

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Get the hell off the couch and get a goddamn job

Uncle Salty
Jan 19, 2008
BOYS
Have an obvious chip on your shoulder about the fact that the supervising manager is a female
Act like certain aspects of the job are beneath you
Be really chummy with the employees and spout "insider" gossip about the company
Ask about vacation time right off the bat
Bring your mommy
Put your photograph at the top of your resume
Talk extensively about the film script you are writing when the job you are applying for is administrative support to a finance team

(All real things I have encountered in interviews; not all one single person though.)

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
Real talk:

I probably got my job because I flirted heavily with our hiring coordinator throughout the process.

It helps when you have someone working for you. I think she was happier about me getting the job than I was.

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
Say that you have a bachelor's degree even if you don't, just make sure not to apply to jobs that would actually check or that would expect you to have specific skills related to your imaginary degree.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Lie on your resume, but like, a reasonable lie, not a bold lie.

Add +5 years experience to everything. Make sure not to do this to technologies that have not been around for +5 years.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Cursed Lumberjack posted:

if you are not white and somehow manage to use deception to get a job interview, make sure that as you enter the room you immediately announce to the interviewer that you are half white. it will put them at ease and you may be able to squeak by

Be sure to conform to positive stereotypes whites already have so they'll know you're "one of the good ones"

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
suck a lot of dicks and get paid ofr it

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
Don't act like a loving goofball at inappropriate times.

Swizzbutt
Jul 12, 2014

serious norman posted:

suck a lot of dicks and get paid ofr it

Oh Hell No
Oct 10, 2007

I've got the world on a string.

Get some volunteer experience, but be careful when applying for jobs while volunteering. If you plan to continue volunteering after you get hired, you're a hippie flake who doesn't take REAL work seriously. If you plan to stop volunteering, you're a heartless monster who will abandon homeless people/underprivileged inner-city youth/puppies and kittens for the promise of $12 an hour.

(i've gotten turned down for a job at least once because the interviewer thought that me helping out at a public aquarium on Saturday mornings would somehow interfere with a Monday-Friday work schedule)

Oh Hell No fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Apr 12, 2015

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

if your interviewer is a woman, take your penis out

bitches love cock

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

F hole
May 13, 2008

pick rich parents

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Any tips on moving past soul crushing jobs and getting yourself back on that meat market?

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
ask dumbass goons to buy you a hotdog shack

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum
Don't be afraid to ask if you can sit in on another job applicant's interview, to "learn the ropes". It flags you as a real go-getter, and shows you have the kind of initiative they really need as your future employer. Interact as you sit in on the interviews, ask really tough questions, such as "why should they hire YOU over me?" and "would you be willing to work for me when I'm hired and you're not?"

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

True story I once got a CV from a guy that said he had good organisation skills, as displayed by the three dungeons and dragons campaigns he had DMed in the last year.

OTOH when I get asked by interviewers about what I like to do outside of work I tell them I enjoy going to wine tasting events even though I'm actually just an alcoholic so I'm not one to talk.

• Locked thread