Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Gieve's a dick, love him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

I'm hoping Hyodo Bodan sticks around. He's the perfect guy to get some cathartic comeuppance.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
I was looking forward to this part and it was even better than I expected. RIP Shapur, a Real Parsian Hero. :911:.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

This anime is metal as hell.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

GorfZaplen posted:

This anime is metal as hell.

This is anime Malazan, that last episode sealed it. This show is bad asssssss

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
So this isn't actually about Alp Arslan, of the Seljuks? The guy who kicked the rear end of the Eastern Roman Empire at the battle of Manzikert?

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

There's probably no one historical Arslan that Tanaka is drawing from. It's more like a giant amalgam of a bunch of them with big helping of the Amir Arsalan epic.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Like how this show manages to be kinda funny.

Also the mom turns out to be nicer than I thought.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Goddamn this show is good, more people need to get on the hype train.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I agree and it's probably my second favourite show of the season after My Love Story, unfortunately a character driven low fantasy series very loosely based on Persian history is probably a hard sell for people. It also isn't helped by having a previous adaptation that was very dry and and didn't even try to do anything to humanise the characters like this is.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
there was a decent crowd watching Yona, where them bitches at

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Hmmm, does it count as a reverse harem if the main character is a dude too?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Yes

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Arslan's dude harem will conquer all.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Maybe I should have put a pun in the thread title....

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

don't worry guys, i'll watch this eventually so you have 1 more viewer!!

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

Maybe I should have put a pun in the thread title....

If you do I won't watch it.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

I'm watching this show too. I really want to read the books. I don't know if the ones available on Amazon go past where this anime will end or not or what. According to what I've seen, there are quite a few volumes that have been published in Japanese, and it appears they're very slowly getting published in English now.

I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Sharkopath posted:

If you do I won't watch it.

What is the meaning of this, Lord Sharkopath? :mad:

psyer
Mar 26, 2013

Dan7el posted:

I'm watching this show too. I really want to read the books. I don't know if the ones available on Amazon go past where this anime will end or not or what. According to what I've seen, there are quite a few volumes that have been published in Japanese, and it appears they're very slowly getting published in English now.

I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

This guy is translating the book.

https://arslansenki.wordpress.com/

He has finished the first volume and is on the 2nd right now.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

psyer posted:

This guy is translating the book.

https://arslansenki.wordpress.com/

He has finished the first volume and is on the 2nd right now.

According to this the entire first book was covered in a single episode of the OVA, which would certainly explain why it was so dry.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

To put in in perspective, we'll probably be getting to the end of what's covered in the first book/OVA by about episode 8, give or take. The first OVA is 50 minutes long.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Holy poo poo wouldn't it basically be a slideshow of plot points?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Million Ghosts posted:

Holy poo poo wouldn't it basically be a slideshow of plot points?

Or 50 minutes of fight scenes with no context re: who these characters are or why you should care about them, like the Berserk movies.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Holy poo poo, Arslan Musou!

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-05-07/heroic-legend-of-arslan-manga-gets-musou-game-for-ps4-ps3/.87906

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Who else checked the OP and ED to make sure this new character wasn't the Silver-masked General sent on an infiltration mission into Ectabana?

(I'm naturally paranoid okay)

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Gieve's rear end in a top hat Adventures

The fights in this are great when they're not *sword clashing sounds* over a panning background.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

I really enjoyed this episode. I'm looking forward to seeing where it goes.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

kinda wish the sensible guy was with arslan instead of being in the city of idiots

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Woah, can't wait to see what's going on with the Queen next episode.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

My only hope is that I don't have to hear Kharlan's "Circumstances you wouldn't understand" line again before he spills the beans.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Blasted through the first four episodes yesterday. This is a good show. Not LotGH but better than most animes I've seen lately. I'm surprised it hasn't had more attention on here. Maybe because it doesn't have babes? It has lots of gorgeous hunks though? Maybe it isn't Tom of Finland enough (like Jojos)?

Either way, it is rad.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's a very deliberately paced show (trying to avoid the word slow there, it's not really, but) which doesn't really have instant appeal and the first episode, while entertaining enough, gives very little indication of its eventual direction and makes it all to easy to assume that it would just be moe prince's fun time adventures. And it's also possible that people have been burned on the previous adaptation.

Also there's babes as soon as our final main character makes her appearance (probably) next episode.

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

Probably a good thing I've never heard of Arslan till now then. This adaption is great though, I'm looking forward to when Arslan and co get into the thick of things.

Also Daryun and Hak would be bros.

QQmore
Jan 10, 2010
This and Snafu are the two main shows that I'm watching as they air this season. Is there anywhere to check a synopsis of the books that were already published?

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Jigoku San posted:

Probably a good thing I've never heard of Arslan till now then. This adaption is great though, I'm looking forward to when Arslan and co get into the thick of things.

Also Daryun and Hak would be bros.

Actually they would be mortal enemies because Yona would fall for Arslan

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I haven't seen Yona but I thought she wasn't into girls?

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

Rodyle posted:

I haven't seen Yona but I thought she wasn't into girls?

Wouldn't stop her from falling for Arslan anyway. At least Yona would acknowledge Arslan as a very pretty princess.

I loved Yona so I've been meaning to check this out, but I'm saving it for when I'm not busy. How dreamy is the reverse harem in comparison to Hak and co.?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Man having a guy like Daryun working for you must be great. All the skill of Lu Bu with none of the utter insanity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Inability to appreciate true art is a pretty dangerous sign of insanity.

• Locked thread