Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Did they change the OP/ED yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Nope, not yet.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Rodyle posted:

gently caress yeah India, let's go full clusterfuck

Current theories re: Arslan? Currently I would say while there's no way, and never really was, that he's Andragoras' son, it's still possible he's the Queen's bastard, possibly even the son of her previous husband, placed in safekeeping. I doubt he's just a random kid they picked out for resembling the royals enough to cover up the real Arslan's death or whatever, they'd surely go for someone who looked more like Andragoras in that case.

I forget if this was part of an earlier episode or a manga spoiler but don't Daryun and Narsus talk about this earlier but come to the conclusion that Arslan cannot be the son of the old king due to the timing of his birth?

I think the twist is going to be that Arslan was actually born a commoner and a real usurper.

It explains why he remembered growing up outside the palace and playing with other kids, why the king and queen don't really care for him and why Daryun is told to swear his loyalty to him and not say the House of Andragoras or Pars itself.

His right to the throne isn't going to be just from being the son of Andragoras but from the mandate of heaven/divine right since he is the most suitable candidate.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Kegslayer posted:

I forget if this was part of an earlier episode or a manga spoiler but don't Daryun and Narsus talk about this earlier but come to the conclusion that Arslan cannot be the son of the old king due to the timing of his birth?

iirc Tahameney's former husband wasn't King Osroes but a Parsian vassal.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

I couldn't stand not knowing about Arslan, so I found the wiki on it and the wiki does divulge the interesting secret that everyone else seems to know.

Go look it up yourself.

Alfreed is listed on the wiki too, so apparently she's a major character. I am just guessing based on the fact she has a page to herself.

I also like her but I suspect she somehow will not end up with Narsus.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Dan7el posted:

I also like her but I suspect she somehow will not end up with Narsus.

Not even lying when I say that's a more pressing question than Arslan's lineage.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

Davincie posted:

two sword beard guy is cool. this show does it yet again. lots of off-model faces though
That guy was cool and perfect for the Arslan musou game. I wonder what effect, if any, the future game had on the character designs now that they are ahead of the manga. Unless that guy was a dual wielder in the books.

quote:

also next week is going to be a recap episode
The preview made it look like it would have a bit of original content of a younger Arslan, unless I am forgetting the first couple of episodes.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I don't think the anime would make characters change weapons just for the sake of a Musou game.

Also, looking at Chapter 1 of the manga, they refer to him as Quishard, the "Twin Sword General" so he probably was a two sword guy in the original as well.

I think they mentioned it in Episode 1 of the anime as well, when the generals are returning from battle and the people are talking about them.

EDIT: Also he's got 2 swords in the OP.

I think the anime came out before the game was announced, though I'm not absolutely certain.

ZepiaEltnamOberon fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jun 30, 2015

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

The anime came out before it was announced, but that does not mean anything. The game would have already been in production for quite a while given it is releasing in Japan so soon. Then they would wait to announce it after the anime started to take advantage of the hype. The media companies and production committees are all about multi-media synergies.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

[quote="grrarg" post="447185560" The game would have already been in production for quite a while given it is releasing in Japan so soon.
[/quote]

Are you implying it takes more than a week to make a musou game?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

They're tiptoeing around the truth about Arslan's birth thus far, but as the episode's title illustrates, it's looking like the story's main moral theme is the contrast between the two princes. Hermes may be the rightful king, but Arslan is the right king. One is a vengeance-hungry and cruel manipulator who betrays his country and his people to bloodthirsty religious fanatics all for the sake of seizing a throne to which he has a technically legitimate claim. The other is a wise and righteous reformer who only wishes to do what is best for his country and whose claim to the throne won't be by blood or law, but by the will of the people. At the very least by those people who swear loyalty to him personally, but I imagine as a pretender to the throne he will become the popular choice as the story progresses.

Well, maybe not popular with the nobles.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

also Gieve is going to be tsundere for Arslan isn't he

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

T.G. Xarbala posted:

also Gieve is going to be tsundere for Arslan isn't he

Well yeah, if he wants to be a proper member of the harem.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
https://youtu.be/MK57YX6CKaQ

New mini trailer for the Warriors game. Quite possibly the most underwhelming application of combat painting in a Warriors game.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Haha I was not expecting it go quite as silly as Narsus using his terrible painting in battle though I suppose I should have.
Unfortunately Omega Force doesn't have a great track record with first games in a new anime franchise.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

so new episode is recap confirmed. does have a new ed though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HI33GYs1hKI

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

Davincie posted:

so new episode is recap confirmed. does have a new ed though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HI33GYs1hKI

Lack of Farangis boobs :mad:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Is NBCUniverssal a sponsor or something? I've been wondering for the longest time now. Also, could that mean that they might adapt a Live Action version for the US?

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Xelkelvos posted:

Is NBCUniverssal a sponsor or something? I've been wondering for the longest time now. Also, could that mean that they might adapt a Live Action version for the US?

Nope! It's just a weird quirk of a very large media conglomerate. Boring details follow:

While the details of these kind of things aren't public, most anime are financed by a production committee that involve anyone who stands to profit from the show. This usually includes companies like the publisher of the original work, the network that airs it, the home video distributor, etc. NBCUniversal Entertainment Japan is the current name of an old anime distributor that used to be named Geneon, and while they are producing they're probably not involved in the final work beyond that. It's most likely that they don't have any right to make a live action version at all, and if they did they'd have to licence it all over again.

For the past couple of years Geneon has worked with Funimation to distribute their shows in America, and you'll find their logo at the front of a bunch of shows on Funimation's streaming service. Now that they're not Geneon anymore, that logo is the full on Universal logo. While it's weird to see the same bombast introduce an anime episode as a movie that grossed a billion dollars (I wouldn't be surprised if more money went into making that logo than an entire episode of Arslan), there's not much significance to it.

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

The Devil Tesla posted:

Nope! It's just a weird quirk of a very large media conglomerate. Boring details follow:

While the details of these kind of things aren't public, most anime are financed by a production committee that involve anyone who stands to profit from the show. This usually includes companies like the publisher of the original work, the network that airs it, the home video distributor, etc. NBCUniversal Entertainment Japan is the current name of an old anime distributor that used to be named Geneon, and while they are producing they're probably not involved in the final work beyond that. It's most likely that they don't have any right to make a live action version at all, and if they did they'd have to licence it all over again.

For the past couple of years Geneon has worked with Funimation to distribute their shows in America, and you'll find their logo at the front of a bunch of shows on Funimation's streaming service. Now that they're not Geneon anymore, that logo is the full on Universal logo. While it's weird to see the same bombast introduce an anime episode as a movie that grossed a billion dollars (I wouldn't be surprised if more money went into making that logo than an entire episode of Arslan), there's not much significance to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2t6jODqGUQ

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Oh no

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

I am sorry.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I love you dotjpg

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

nice, an arslan thread exclusive

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i expected some version of the OP, but holy poo poo

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I can't breathe

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

PRAISE MISRA

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

:allears:

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

The rest of the series can be absolute dogshit and it would still be all worth it for this.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The worst part of my probation was not being able to empty-quote this.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

I'd been avoiding the thread, thinking that new posts were about the new episode, but then I realized that the new episode is a recap. Kicking myself.

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

Everyone is going to stab each other in the back

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Not loving the new OP, the old one wasn't exactly fitting but it was pretty funky. The ED is about as generic as Kalafina gets too.

Oh god, the CGI soldiers in that ep, ugh.

Arslan was kind of ruthless at the end though.

I hope Kishward ends up in the Musou game.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Well played, Arslan.

And the harem continues to grow.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
The anime and manga are starting to diverge pretty clearly at this point, with Arakawa bringing in the Church Army right away and the team not even being at Kishward's fortress yet

To people familiar with the old adaptation or the source material: How is that shaking out? Are things more or less heading in the same direction, or are we looking at a distinctly different sequence of events?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
This is some Yang Wenli poo poo.

Also, Gadevi's man on the inside really should have worn some less conspicuous clothing.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

OnimaruXLR posted:

The anime and manga are starting to diverge pretty clearly at this point, with Arakawa bringing in the Church Army right away and the team not even being at Kishward's fortress yet

To people familiar with the old adaptation or the source material: How is that shaking out? Are things more or less heading in the same direction, or are we looking at a distinctly different sequence of events?

I've been reading up on Arslan a bit on a Korean wiki cause I have this impulsion to spoil poo poo for myself, and while I don't really know much besides a few major spoilers, I do know that at least 1 thing is different from the novels.

Already happened in the anime, but spoilers just in case.

Bahman doesn't die protecting Hermes, though he does prevent Daryun and co from killing him for the same reason (aka being the prince). He goes out to fight against the invaders, proves himself to be a badass worthy of the title Marzipan and then dies when the enemy prince tosses a spear at him.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

everyone was really on top of their game this episode but im getting sick of the rivalry between elam and the girl plotline

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Daryun is such a badass. Looking forward to terrible war elephant CGI next week.

FYI there's a short scene after the ED again for Kalafina skippers, and an untranslated Nishio Ishin endcard.

• Locked thread