Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Fagballzson
Sep 29, 2005
Take a dog breed that was selectively bred for many generations for viciousness in the dog fighting ring and try to turn it into a family pet. What could possibly go wrong?

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I was in flagstaff and there was a busker with a little chihuahua and someone walked by with 2 big rear end Great Pyrenees and the big dogs were scared as gently caress of the little dude

Well that's my dog story

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

pretty sure that thing is a horse

Dick Fagballzson
Sep 29, 2005
Best dog breeds are German Shepherds and Welsh Corgis in my experience. Both are very smart and good natured. Get one as a puppy and train it and you will have a great dog.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Dick Fagballzson posted:

Best dog breeds are German Shepherds and Welsh Corgis in my experience. Both are very smart and good natured. Get one as a puppy and train it and you will have a great dog.

beagles own too

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Dead Gay Romans posted:

I will personally volunteer to be to nations pit bull remover.

All citizens dumb enough to own a pit bull will legally compelled by local authorities to bring it to me, where I will shoot it in the face in front of them while mocking the loving idiots.

I don't really need to get paid for this and I will provide my own gun and ammo. I do expect to be honored as the god drat hero I am for doing this.

How do I contribute to your cause

naem
May 29, 2011

etalian posted:

beagles own too

Beagles are surprisingly good

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Beagles aren't murderdogs, but they are annoying. They're horrendously stubborn and wander off as soon as you take your eyes off of them.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Volcott posted:

Beagles aren't murderdogs, but they are annoying. They're horrendously stubborn and wander off as soon as you take your eyes off of them.

most of it is due to being hunting dogs, a squirrel or gopher will drive them crazy.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Whatev posted:

Never live with anything or anyone you could not kill in a heartbeat if necessary

I think a lot of people miss the point about this with animals in general, it doesn't have a lot to do with "how well socialized" or "how well trained" or whatever the gently caress, basically if you put your tiny child in an enclosed space with a kitten or a mynah bird or a hyena or yes even a dogge and walk away, at some point the tiny child might stick his finger in one of the animal's orifices and get the poo poo bitten out of it. WHATEVER the type of animal is. People who let their animals run around loose deserve to go to prison if some bad poo poo goes down involving their loose animal.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Dick Fagballzson posted:

protip: one of these dogs is very specifically bred to bite people!

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
we had a bloodhound go through our yard one night. no idea whose it was, but it had that unique bloodhound baying, which is super creepy when it's dark.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Flesh Forge posted:

I think a lot of people miss the point about this with animals in general, it doesn't have a lot to do with "how well socialized" or "how well trained" or whatever the gently caress, basically if you put your tiny child in an enclosed space with a kitten or a mynah bird or a hyena or yes even a dogge and walk away, at some point the tiny child might stick his finger in one of the animal's orifices and get the poo poo bitten out of it. WHATEVER the type of animal is. People who let their animals run around loose deserve to go to prison if some bad poo poo goes down involving their loose animal.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

A dumb motherfucker here in the US with a pet hyena

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yWnt6ODxcc

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Flesh Forge posted:

A dumb motherfucker here in the US with a pet hyena

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yWnt6ODxcc

Wow.

"Just because something is capable of killing you, doesn't mean it's going to make that choice."

Well, I forsee this ending very badly.

Dick Fagballzson
Sep 29, 2005

Flesh Forge posted:

protip: one of these dogs is very specifically bred to bite people!

Nope. Both are herding breeds. Shepherds for sheep, corgis for cows. Shepherds can be used for military and police work but they are still herding dogs. Herding dogs own because they are smart and can be trained easily.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

"Military and police work" involves biting people dude :)

Regarding hyena boy: he realizes he has $100 and needs $5,000 to buy the hyena cub, so he sucks ~100 dicks so he can get the $5k before the 2-week purchase deadline expires

e: "Jake really loves watching movies. His favorite movie was Finding Nemo!"

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Dick Fagballzson posted:

Nope. Both are herding breeds. Shepherds for sheep, corgis for cows. Shepherds can be used for military and police work but they are still herding dogs. Herding dogs own because they are smart and can be trained easily.

And then they see a group of something, the "need to herd" switch in their brain flips, and off they go. Had a corgi try to herd wild ducks at the beach. The ducks could have just flown away, but instead they very slowly swam out to sea as the tide rolled in. Meanwhile my mom was hollering at the dumb dog to come back those ducks are going to kill you.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Serious herding dogs also have this thing when the tiny child runs away from them, oops child got bit. Do not combine herding dogs with children it is a bad combination

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Flesh Forge posted:

"Military and police work" involves biting people dude :)

German shepherds were also the main breed for seeing eye dogs and search and rescue dogs for a long time, neither of which involve biting at all. Even for police and military the most important part is that the dog obeys commands, doesn't bite unless ordered to, and stops biting when you tell it to stop.

Any dog can bite. A dog that can suppress its instincts in a tense situation and stop biting is something special.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I'm not saying they're some kind of garbage dog, of course not, but if you think an animal specifically bred for human aggression will make a great pet you're a loving idiot. Work dogs in general are not a good idea to have as pets.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Flesh Forge posted:

I'm not saying they're some kind of garbage dog, of course not, but if you think an animal specifically bred for human aggression will make a great pet you're a loving idiot. Work dogs in general are not a good idea to have as pets.

Yeah. :( My dad had a german shepherd I adored when I was a little kid, but I know I could never handle one or give it enough to do. Great dogs, but no way would I spend 1-2 hours a day, every day, taking one for runs and stuff.

Sierra Nevadan
Nov 1, 2010

there's lots of awesome dogs, just most people are too stupid to care for them

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

I like plates and lizards.

Weirdly enough hyenas aren't bad pet if you get a male, the submissive sex. They're naturally suited to submitting to even the children of the dominant animal bc otherwise they'd get loving killed by the alpha female if they didn't. I wouldn't gently caress around with a female hyena but a male, yeah sure why not

The massive chains etc they wear is bc they'll rip right through anything else, fuckers have like 1000x the jaw strength of a pit bull and can crack stall balls (toys made for horses) with their teeth

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

etalian posted:

beagles own too
yea.

virtually every breed besides pugs/pits/masts are much cuter, loyal, and wont chomp your head off randomly one day. why would anyone get a loving ugly pit bull when you can get ones like this

:3:

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Has anyone stepped in saying that mastiffs are a really nice bunch of breeds and would never hurt anyone yet

Dr qq
Apr 9, 2015

by Ralp
i've met a bunch of pits and they're all the best dog and a bunch of sad internet people probably dont deserve the love of a good pit

Dr qq
Apr 9, 2015

by Ralp
so back off my pit friends

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
I only own dogs that will try to fight all other dogs it sees without hesitation

Dr qq
Apr 9, 2015

by Ralp
if you are a person who is capable enough at life to train an animal that was created by billions of years of genetic modification to be pliable to human suggestion then there is a possible that one could make a pit not yell at other dogs

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Dr qq posted:

if you are a person who is capable enough at life to train an animal that was created by billions of years of genetic modification to be pliable to human suggestion then there is a possible that one could make a pit not yell at other dogs

What a shame its only idiot cro magnon trogs who own them then

Dr qq
Apr 9, 2015

by Ralp
actually good and intelligent people own pits because they are smart and beautiful animals that are full of love. i'm sorry that you have the misfortune of being so deeply mistaken.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
i blame pitbull attacks on bad owners and dont believe a broad effort to select for specific traits of strength and aggression over many generations could have any effect on any breed of animal because genetics is as much a lie as evolution

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

platedlizard posted:

Weirdly enough hyenas aren't bad pet if you get a male, the submissive sex. They're naturally suited to submitting to even the children of the dominant animal bc otherwise they'd get loving killed by the alpha female if they didn't. I wouldn't gently caress around with a female hyena but a male, yeah sure why not

The massive chains etc they wear is bc they'll rip right through anything else, fuckers have like 1000x the jaw strength of a pit bull and can crack stall balls (toys made for horses) with their teeth

From what I understand if hyenas had a better locomotion (they have lovely stunted hind legs) they would be the dominant life form on the planet because they would have exterminated humans before humans would have had a chance to learn to domesticate them.

Dr qq
Apr 9, 2015

by Ralp
hi i'm afraid of a dog and also my sex organs are defunct and i am fragile like a palsied kitten with clinical anxiety

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Dr qq posted:

hi i'm afraid of a dog and also my sex organs are defunct and i am fragile like a palsied kitten with clinical anxiety

the first step to recovery is to admit it

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
thats pretty sad for qq

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Dr qq posted:

cut off you're penis adn give it to teh dogge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Flesh Forge posted:

cut off you're penis adn give it to teh dogge

why would you get a dog like that when you could get an ugly dog that is way more likely to seriously injure a human

• Locked thread