Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sonic H
Dec 8, 2004

Me love you long time
Problem description:

I've recently upgraded my ageing PC to a spangly new X99 based system and all is mostly well apart from the motherboard doesn't recognise *any* PCIe cards in the 3rd PCIe slot. The mobo has 4 x16 slots (1,3,5,6) and 2 PCIe 2x slots (2,4). Using slots 1 and 5 the motherboard reports cards inserted without issue. Inserting any of the 3 cards into slot 3 and the motherboard doesn't report a card present, even in the BIOS (AEFI). I can't use Slot 6 due to the size of the cards and the proximity of the PSU.

I've got 2 ASUS nVidia GTX 760 gfx cards and my older GTX 560 card. The idea being to use the 760s in SLi for rendering and the 560 for PhysX. All 3 cards are known good and work in isolation in the primary or fifth PCIe slot without issue. The motherboard reports cards in slots 1 and/or 5 (2 and 4 are the smaller PCIe slots so aren't used). Slot 3 appears to not recognise anything plugged into it.

Obviously I'm a little concerned as it's a new mobo and I'd like to be able to run the system as intended. However, before I RMA the mobo, I want to check I've not done something retarded. However, as it stands, I see no reason why the mobo shouldn't report a card in slot 3. I know the CPU I've got won't allow 4 way SLi due to the lack of channels (28 c.f. 40) but there's no reason I am aware of why a card shouldn't be at least reported in the BIOS....

Attempted fixes:

Used all three cards in isolation in slot 1 (nearest the CPU) as per the manual as that's the recommended slot for single card solutions. All three POST with no issues and cards are recognised in the BIOS in that slot. I've currently got the system running stable with cards in slots 1 and 5 in SLi in Win7 x64. A single card in slot 3 just gets a series of beeps from the mobo at POST and no response from the system or anything on the monitors.

I've updated the BIOS to the most recent version.

Recent changes:

Everything is brand new - new RAM, mobo, gfx cards, SSD and CPU. Clean system build. System will boot into Windows without issue.

Operating system:

Win7 64 bit.

System specs:

MSI x99s SLI Plus mobo (no M.2 card)
16 GB Quad Channel DDR4 TeamGroup RAM (This offer)
Intel 5820K 3.30GHz (Haswell-E) Socket LGA2011-V3 Processor - stock speeds.
Phanteks PH-TC14PE CPU Cooler
1000W CoolerMaster SilentPro Gold PSU.
2 x nVidia ASUS GTX 760 gfx cards in SLi
1 x Gigabyte nVidia GTX 560 standalone (not registered by mobo)
1 x Samsung 240 GB SSD SATA (OS Drive)
2 x Samsung Spinpoint HDD 5400 RPM SATA
1 x 80 GB Intel X-25 SSD SATA (currently blank)
Coolermaster HAF 932 Case

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes - due to the newness of the system, there's not a huge amount of info out there :(

Sonic H fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Apr 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCondor
Oct 30, 2010
Looking at the X99 block diagram, it looks like slots 1 and 3 are going through a switch and slot 3 is specified as x8. If you have an x8 or less expansion card (even a cheap x1 network card would do) I'd try it in slot 3 to see what happens.

Have you used all three of these cards in one system with no issue before?

Sonic H
Dec 8, 2004

Me love you long time

TheCondor posted:

Looking at the X99 block diagram, it looks like slots 1 and 3 are going through a switch and slot 3 is specified as x8. If you have an x8 or less expansion card (even a cheap x1 network card would do) I'd try it in slot 3 to see what happens.

Have you used all three of these cards in one system with no issue before?

Thanks - I've got a video capture card which might do the job. I'll give that a go tonight.

I've not used all three together before, no. But they all work in isolation (the two 760s even work now) so I know they're good.

Won't the gfx card just run at x8 instead of x16 though if the slot can't handle x16? Simply not recognising it at all (even if there's nothing in slot 1) is a little odd...

Edit

Well, that's that mystery solved - put a x1 video capture card in and it recognised it no bother.

Problem is, why is the board advertised as a x4 SLI when it clearly won't with any cards worth SLi? It's not the end of the world, but it's a little disappointing.

Thanks for the help!

Sonic H fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Apr 13, 2015

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Note that Quad-SLI and Quad-Crossfire involve using two cards with two GPUs each.

Sonic H
Dec 8, 2004

Me love you long time

Alereon posted:

Note that Quad-SLI and Quad-Crossfire involve using two cards with two GPUs each.

Ah! What about triple head? Looks like i've misunderstood a bit. Poo. Ah well, SLi 760s is hardly sluggish :)

• Locked thread