Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
So as a person who has bad credit and can't pay off the car loan, aside from the $2k/month (trust fund?) how are you not poor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD

Crunk Abortion posted:

Please tell me more of your hard-earned and completely valid insights, you clever, edgy goon :allears:

You are poor. If you weren't poor you would have $10k in savings and wouldn't need a 16% loan to buy a decade old car.

Crunk Abortion
Mar 5, 2009

Young based lord and I look like JESUS
You guys sure have some penetrating wisdom regarding my background and motivations based on the two pieces of information about myself I've posted in this thread. I wish I was cool enough to poo poo on 'poors' on the Internet too... :ohdear:

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Crunk Abortion posted:

Please tell me more of your hard-earned and completely valid insights, you clever, edgy goon :allears:

You said it yourself: you got the car you wanted, not the car you needed. Your financial history was lovely, so you got a lovely rate. You aren't getting hosed on the used car loan by someone else, you are loving yourself.

edit: dammit, didn't see that there was another page.

Crunk Abortion posted:

You guys sure have some penetrating wisdom regarding my background and motivations based on the two pieces of information about myself I've posted in this thread. I wish I was cool enough to poo poo on 'poors' on the Internet too... :ohdear:

And yet here you are, bitching to BFC about your car loan like you're a victim.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Crunk Abortion posted:

You know it's ok to be poor and ask for help on how not to be. A lot of people do it because a lot of people are poor. Sometimes it's by circumstance but a lot of times it's by choice. You could argue that it isn't taught well enough and shouldn't be expected, but you're here now. Ask the questions, get the help and at least stop acting poor.

LOOK THE PART BE THE PART.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

BossRighteous posted:

The make model and Blue Book would all be pretty pertinent here. Selling it at a loss and buying a POS may be in your future. There are a lot of reasonably reliable cars under $1500.

How do you find those? Craigslist?

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

GreyPowerVan posted:

I don't think that's really true, honestly. In my area, Denver, you're going to spend at least $2.5k to find a somewhat reliable car.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Radbot posted:

I don't think that's really true, honestly. In my area, Denver, you're going to spend at least $2.5k to find a somewhat reliable car.

On CL or what? That's about how much my current one was and I'm trying to replace it because it's a piece of poo poo.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

GreyPowerVan posted:

On CL or what? That's about how much my current one was and I'm trying to replace it because it's a piece of poo poo.
Yes, on CL. You can pick up all sorts of good cars if you know something about cars (do a full suspension check and compression test, aka, a pre purchase inspection) and have cash and aren't in a rush. End of month - right before rent is due - is often a good time. Maybe less so this month as its $$free money from the tax man month$$, but most months.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

GreyPowerVan posted:

I bought two of this type of car while in college (like 2003) and they both had the same story in a general, abstract way. One was from a guy who used it as his secondary car when he went to take care of his properties. He couldn't drive his regular car into those neighborhoods. The other was from an elderly lady who had just lost her ability to drive. They all had meticulous paperwork on all the service done and drove well. They were old cars for sure, but well maintained and everything just made sense when putting the picture together on whether or not I should buy this car. I think I bought both of those cars the first day they were listed.

Blinkman987 fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Apr 18, 2015

Crunk Abortion
Mar 5, 2009

Veskit posted:

You know it's ok to be poor and ask for help on how not to be. A lot of people do it because a lot of people are poor. Sometimes it's by circumstance but a lot of times it's by choice. You could argue that it isn't taught well enough and shouldn't be expected, but you're here now. Ask the questions, get the help and at least stop acting poor.

LOOK THE PART BE THE PART.

I have no emotional problems with my financial status. I make $30k a year. It is what it is. My problem is when people like this rear end in a top hat:

oxsnard posted:

Hahaha this further proves my theory that at least 50% of BMW and Audi owners are just poor people who are desperate not to look poor
load their baggage onto me and presume I'm some kind of derelict self-loathing miscreant, desperate to suckle a drop of social acceptance from the teat of high society by sneaking through the gates in a halfway decent car.

This is the first car I've ever owned that cost over 2,000, and the first one I've ever financed. I've driven many a beater, without an ounce of shame. Two cars ago, I was in a $500 piece of poo poo Prizm, and I liked that car just fine right up until it broke down.

When I bought my E36, its competitor was a $2,000 beater class Miata. I ended up happening on a BMW for a really good price so I got that because it's way more comfortable for someone who's 6'1 and having a backseat is more practical. I ended up loving that car and developed a taste for nicer automobiles and that's where the E46 came from.

I don't have any problems asking for help improving my station in life (hence this thread). I also never claimed to be a victim in any of this. I'm getting hosed, but I signed up for the loving. Neither the car dealer nor the bank employee had a gun in their hands when I signed on the line. But hosed is hosed, and once you realize the magnitude of what's going on it makes sense to start trying to figure out a safe word.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
I make over six figures and I'm too loving poor to own a BMW. You've written a lot of words to say "I want what I want and don't tell me how dumb I am in a thread where I simultaneously defend a 16% APR loan and try to find a way to get out of it."

I drive a KIA Forte btw and I'm 6'5" get the gently caress over yourself.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Dude you ARE poor and borrowing money at 16% is dumb. And I have a 335 so I get the BMW thing, they are awesome cars. But you're not going to out maneuver BFC in this argument.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Ah, so this is what rationalizations look like from the other side.

Sup high interest car loan buddy. :c00lbutt:

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Just try and pay it off and hopefully you'll learn a nice life lesson along the way.

Barry fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Apr 18, 2015

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
Only the finest German engineering can accommodate my unusually long six foot one frame

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Crunk Abortion posted:

I ended up loving that car and developed a taste for nicer automobiles and that's where the E46 came from.

And at $30k/yr, a taste is all you can afford. But instead you chose to order the whole meal and are stuck washing dishes in the kitchen to make up for it.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Knyteguy posted:

Ah, so this is what rationalizations look like from the other side.

Sup high interest car loan buddy. :c00lbutt:

Yep. It makes you scratch your head as to the decision making process involved.

I know taxi drivers that finance their cars from Toyota for 15%. The difference is it's their business and they're still making money despite the interest rate.

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

PLEASE DO NOT BACKSEAT MODERATE

Crunk Abortion posted:

When I bought my E36, its competitor was a $2,000 beater class Miata. I ended up happening on a BMW for a really good price so I got that because it's way more comfortable for someone who's 6'1 and having a backseat is more practical. I ended up loving that car and developed a taste for nicer automobiles and that's where the E46 came from.

This is exactly how I felt...went from an 85 Bonneville to a 92 Volvo 940 Turbo (this was back in the late 90s) and learned that you can actually have a nice car and still not break the bank. Paid cash for all my cars: 92 Volvo 940 Turbo ($2700), 98 Volvo S70 ($3500), 98 Volvo V70R ($5400) up until my current car which is the first I've ever financed 06 Volvo V70R ($15k). I went with Lightsteam which I highly recommend because I got the loan at around 4% and they don't give you a big hassle about anything as long as you have great credit. I've got roughly a +750 credit score. The only loan paying advice I can give to help out is that with any loan that calculates daily interest, make your payments twice a month instead of once a month.

For example:

Normally a monthly loan payment of $400 vs a bi weekly payment of $200. Not only will you get a substantial interest benefit from having your principle go down faster than the interest is calculated, but you'll actually get 2-4 more payments in during the year due to months with 5 weeks in them. I do this with all my home, car, student loans and I've shaving months/years off the pay schedule. I calculate my $70k 30 year home loan will actually be paid in less than 25 years and I'm not really paying any more than I would have been anyway.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Oxphocker posted:

This is exactly how I felt...went from an 85 Bonneville to a 92 Volvo 940 Turbo (this was back in the late 90s) and learned that you can actually have a nice car and still not break the bank. Paid cash for all my cars: 92 Volvo 940 Turbo ($2700), 98 Volvo S70 ($3500), 98 Volvo V70R ($5400) up until my current car which is the first I've ever financed 06 Volvo V70R ($15k). I went with Lightsteam which I highly recommend because I got the loan at around 4% and they don't give you a big hassle about anything as long as you have great credit. I've got roughly a +750 credit score. The only loan paying advice I can give to help out is that with any loan that calculates daily interest, make your payments twice a month instead of once a month.

For example:

Normally a monthly loan payment of $400 vs a bi weekly payment of $200. Not only will you get a substantial interest benefit from having your principle go down faster than the interest is calculated, but you'll actually get 2-4 more payments in during the year due to months with 5 weeks in them. I do this with all my home, car, student loans and I've shaving months/years off the pay schedule. I calculate my $70k 30 year home loan will actually be paid in less than 25 years and I'm not really paying any more than I would have been anyway.

Well you're paying 8.3% more than you would be paying monthly, that's the whole trick of biweekly loan payments

Crunk Abortion
Mar 5, 2009

oxsnard posted:

Only the finest German engineering can accommodate my unusually long six foot one frame

Get the gently caress out of here. I said the $2,500 E36 was more comfortable than a $2,000 Miata for a tall person because it loving is.

Do you even skim the thread before you start construction on your straw men?

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

Dude you ARE poor and borrowing money at 16% is dumb. And I have a 335 so I get the BMW thing, they are awesome cars. But you're not going to out maneuver BFC in this argument.

I never said I wasn't poor, and I've acknowledged (more than once) that I made a dumb decision that is 100% my fault. Re-read the post you quoted:

Crunk Abortion posted:

I also never claimed to be a victim in any of this. I'm getting hosed, but I signed up for the loving. Neither the car dealer nor the bank employee had a gun in their hands when I signed on the line.

Here's where we're at, just so we can lay off the bullshit and get onto the same page:

• I understand that I don't need a BMW. No one needs a BMW.
  • As someone who only makes $30k a year, I have no need for luxury items that are not befitting my station.
  • Nobody forced me to buy a BMW. I did all of this willingly.
  • Buying a BMW was a dumb loving idea, and I shouldn't have done it.
  • I used a lot of dumb-rear end logic to justify buying it in the first place
  • I used more dumb-rear end logic defending myself at the beginning of this thread because I didn't realize the magnitude of how bad a deal I had gotten until some helpful goons responded to my OP with some paradigm-shifting responses, for which I am truly grateful.
  • The general consensus in the thread so far is to pay it down as quickly as possible since I don't have many other good options at this point (thanks to my own lovely financial decision-making.)
  • To show good faith to those who helped me see the error of my ways, I Toxx'd myself over a page ago to make an extra payment of at least $500, and volunteered to humiliate myself for the thread's amusement if I balk on this promise.
  • All subsequent trolling aside, I'm still going to fulfill my Toxx and make that extra payment and try to bail myself out of the mess I've made even if dickholes like Oxnards are making GBS threads up an otherwise helpful thread.

Crunk Abortion fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Apr 19, 2015

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
So it turns out my loan is a simple interest rate loan, so I'll save massively by paying asap?

I'm going to try to get a copy of all the restrictions but I'm thinking about getting it refinanced with a company that will let me pay ahrad and just throw all my money at it.

Crunk Abortion
Mar 5, 2009

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Nicely done, keep up the good work.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
Ouch, $140/mo in interest. Intense.

Good work on the big overpayment. Keep doing it! You'll be out of this by Christmas if you push through!

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

A thing of beauty.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
I'll be dumping $3,000 into mine as soon as a transfer between two of my accounts goes through.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

GreyPowerVan posted:

Seach 4 cylinder buick century or cutlass ciera, preferably 1988 or newer. No one wants them, old people had them and are mostly dead now. Iron duke with roller cam and TBI is practically a forever motor and has so little power the transmission is never labored.

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

success is a dream & achievements are the cream
If you have any dealer friends I would ask them for advice about cars

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
OP have you ever bought a Nissan Altima? Because you seem awfully similar to another BFC superstar (or was it in gibbis back then?)

Your entire thread boils down to :qq: MY INTEREST RAET :qq: No gently caress you I know what I want and I want this car I can't afford! :byodood:

And you toxxed yourself for a red title when you're already obviously capable of pissing good money after bad. Nice stakes there mate.

Crunk Abortion
Mar 5, 2009

Weatherman posted:

OP have you ever bought a Nissan Altima? Because you seem awfully similar to another BFC superstar (or was it in gibbis back then?)

Your entire thread boils down to :qq: MY INTEREST RAET :qq: No gently caress you I know what I want and I want this car I can't afford! :byodood:

And you toxxed yourself for a red title when you're already obviously capable of pissing good money after bad. Nice stakes there mate.

I'd tell you to go re-read the thread but I don't want to bite into valuable time you could instead use to go gently caress yourself.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Crunk Abortion posted:

I'd tell you to go re-read the thread but I don't want to bite into valuable time you could instead use to go gently caress yourself.

I for one am shocked that someone as clever as you crashed a car without insurance and then got massively suckered on a new car.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Droo posted:

I for one am shocked that someone as clever as you crashed a car without insurance and then got massively suckered on a new car.
IDK how old the OP is, but I pay under $50/mo for full coverage on my E36 with high liability limits and low deductibles. My rate has been right around there for since I turned 27/2013. It's less than a tank of gas per quarter for collision vs liability/comp only, I recommend doing it if you don't want to / can't eat the loss of the car.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Crunk Abortion posted:

Why don't you give us an example then, oh-so-mature one, of the kind of advice you'd give if someone else had posted this thread? And right after that, how about telling us why you haven't already done that?

Also I'm so sorry to hear that anything less than a beamer :allears: won't fit your gigantic frame. Honestly, I don't know how I comfortably drive Japanese cars with my extra three inches on you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I think everybody gets the point by now. OP please feel free to reopen the thread to post about your next $1000 prepayment!

• Locked thread