Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Crunk Abortion posted:

I'll admit that I'm very new to personal finance, and there's a lot of things I don't know, but I don't feel like the approach I'm currently taking merits the degree of mockery I'm getting for it in this thread.

I lend people money for 10% to 39.99%. Don't be one of those people. If the interest rate is in the double digits you shouldn't do it. Buying a 10 year old luxury car with a large number of parts with a design lifetime of 5 years is not good at all. That suggests a lot of maintenance costs.

You will get mockery in this thread for spending $6k in interest when you didn't need to. That's $6k you wouldn't have in the future. Don't reduce your future spending power no matter how much you make.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Moneyball posted:

I have been meaning to post something similar to this, but while I've made otherwise smart financial decisions in the past year (net worth has risen by 6k since new years), I've buried my head in the sand with my predatory car loan.
I got my car last year from a dealership that promised guaranteed financing- never a smart decision. But I have to live with it now.

I can afford to pay ahead, and I'm sure I could refinance, but I haven't done either yet, because I'm unsure of how additional payments are applied. So if anybody can clear some things up, I can look into fixing this mess.

1. I was under the impression that certain loans just build the total interest into the loan from the beginning, so instead of 10k over 36 periods, accruing interest, it's 12k over 36 periods, with the interest split evenly as part of each payment. In that case, is there any advantage in paying early? And if you refinanced at that point, would it not just be paying additional interest on interest?

2. If you do pay ahead on it, is there any penalty? (I guess that is something I'd have to find out from the lender) Whether just a prepayment penalty, weighing early payments more for interest purposes (rule of 78?) or anything like that?

3. A friend of mine told me her auto loan horror story- that she overpaid every month to get the balance down, but instead of applying it to the principal, they held it for future accrued interest, or something like that. How does that even work?

At this point, should I seek to refinance it, or just throw as much extra at it as I can, or both? I'm embarrassed about my ignorance of it all, but I guess we all have to learn one way or another- some just pay a lot less to find out.

I'm buying cars with cash from now on.

A lot of US auto loans work like item 3. You'll need to check the fine print. Again same goes for answering 2. If you are lucky you might have a loan you can pay off early which would save interest. So you may or may not be able to refinance in a beneficial fashion.

Often selling the car is a way out but you need to check for penalties that may apply and if the car loan is underwater you'll need enough cash to pay the difference between sale price and the outstanding loan.

tl;dr if you can pay early/more than the minimum and have the total interest reduced then do so. Otherwise continue paying or sell the car.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Moneyball posted:

So it's likely that not even refinancing can help... Excellent.

It's worth checking but it's not certain that you'd get a better interest rate.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Crunk Abortion posted:

Looking back on my decision making process leading up to signing for this loan, my mindset was 100% looking at "how can i get the thing that I want" rather than "is it responsible for me to do this, even though I have the ability to do it." That's definitely on me, and I'm trying to break myself of that habit. Consumerism is a bitch, and until I got called out in this thread, I honestly don't think it had dawned on me the degree to which I have been in the thrall of that mindset. The sad thing is, that whole behavior set is still "me being better with money than in the past". Ten years ago, I would have packed my poo poo up, moved two states away, and prayed that my creditors gave up looking for me.

As for where I'm at now, the whole reason why I'm so interested in fixing the car loan situation is because I'm trying to become financially independent. I hate the idea of having a loan that accumulates $5 a day in interest, when I could open a Roth IRA and put $5 a day into that instead. I also hate the idea of having a negative net worth.

I just got done paying off the balance of my credit card, so the only thing I have left to deal with is my car loan, my student loans, and about $1500 of old debt from way back in the day that I still have to resolve. I'm trying to work my way down the line going from high interest debt to low and paying them off one at a time. I figure the smart way to do it is tackle the car, pay off the old debt, establish a healthy emergency fund, then look at starting some retirement savings and begin paying off the student loans, more or less in that order. The only thing that I'm not sure about is whether to open the IRA now and start contributing, or try to hold off until the student loans are dealt with. The return I get from my investment will still be less of a gain than the interest on my student loans is a loss, but 'm not certain how much of an advantage I'd be forfeiting by not giving those investments the extra couple years to compound. That might be a topic for another thread, though.

In the spirit of being less of a financial rube, I'll take this opportunity to :toxx: myself for good behavior. My next paycheck hits on the 27th. If I don't return to this thread within 3 days of then with evidence of at least a $500 extra payment on my car, I will let this thread choose a big red title for me, and buy it myself, since obviously I'm not doing anything more responsible with my money.

Quoting in part to note the toxx.

You are allowed a little bit of consumerism but you shouldn't be spending all of your pay. The accumulated debts indicate you've been spending more than you earn. If you want to head towards FI it is a different mindset.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

SiGmA_X posted:

Agreed. We all (hopefully) know this, but it can be hard to implement. I'm finally catching up (graduated a year ago at 28), and it feels great to contribute 20~25% of gross to retirement vehicles, plus 10~20% to cash savings. I wish I started when I was 18! Savings > spending.

A lot of us wish we'd started earlier. I remember hearing about the 10% of income savings things when I was a kid. I had to have a look back at what I'd been doing with my money all these years. About 10-15% of my income went to debt serving due to student loan and debt consolidation after gradating. I stuck to the 10-15% but mostly it went to debts, then starting a business and then saving for a house. At least I built up my house deposit on interest rates 7-9% unfortunately the rates dropped, inflation stayed high and house prices took off. Technically I was doing the right thing except for the lack of retirement savings (but where I live we didn't have any retirement savings benefits or accounts until about 7 years ago). The reason why I'm not better off now is down to the expensive computer parts I'd buy, full price games and drinking at bars. All great fun but I could have been a bit more economic about it all and saved 20%+.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Knyteguy posted:

Ah, so this is what rationalizations look like from the other side.

Sup high interest car loan buddy. :c00lbutt:

Yep. It makes you scratch your head as to the decision making process involved.

I know taxi drivers that finance their cars from Toyota for 15%. The difference is it's their business and they're still making money despite the interest rate.

• Locked thread